Alchemy Bicycle Company- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Alchemy Bicycle Company

Anyone know anything about the bikes this company makes? They are a new company based in Austin. I'm in San Antonio and in the market for a new custom full suspension MTB and am really considering this company for a custom frame, but don't know much about them other than what little is on the web.

Anyone who has seen or ridden their bikes or has any comments on the quality of construction, please speak up! I would really appreciate it.

The other Ti bike I'm thinking about buying is an Eriksen, for which I have a great feel ...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Here's a link to Alchemy's website:
    http://www.alchemybicycles.com/

meh
    you arent going to find many a custom full suspension frame maker
    the few you do find will buy rear triangles/linkages from larger manufacturers, and make a custom front triangle
    custom full sus would be an insane process to build/test compared to a standard hardtail for an independent fab

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu
    you arent going to find many a custom full suspension frame maker
    the few you do find will buy rear triangles/linkages from larger manufacturers, and make a custom front triangle
    custom full sus would be an insane process to build/test compared to a standard hardtail for an independent fab
    Yeah, the ones I did find use established rear triangles. Seems Ventana rear triangles are pretty common. I've got no problem with that. It works. In fact I was originally planning to get the El Ciclon by Ventana!

Anyone seen/rode an Alchemy?

meh
    Quote Originally Posted by dipan
    Anyone seen/rode an Alchemy?
    no, but they dont make FS rigs according to what ive seen

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Not dissing Ti, I love my Titus road bike, but I don't see the point for a FS mountain bike.

I've got a custom True Fab FS, with a steel front and a Ventana rear. Sweet bike. Built to eat trail up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Haroldlikesbikes
    Not dissing Ti, I love my Titus road bike, but I don't see the point for a FS mountain bike.

I've got a custom True Fab FS, with a steel front and a Ventana rear. Sweet bike. Built to eat trail up.
    I still don't quite get this. Aluminum, Ti, steel. They can all be built to suit, right? Ti is expensive, yes, but I'm not sure I consider it a waste.

The Ti in your road bike was probably used to suit it's application. No suspension componentry, so it's used less generously and the Ti is allowed to do absorb some of the harsh road feel. This would not be how a proper full suspension Ti bike would be built I'm thinking. Built flexy would be wrong for Ti just as it would be for Al or steel. But it can be built stiff. And last forever ... front triangle anyway as others have pointed out.

Student of the Bike
    James Flatman is the guy behind Alchemy frames. He also has another person working with him on the business side of things. James is a good guy and knows the craft well. He spent many prior years over at Dean. The frame building community is Austin is small and close knit. We all know each other and hang out when we can. Even though James is new to the Austin scene he's not new to the craft and is a good resource for Austin.

If you want more info about them then just pick up the phone and call.

Good luck,

Cody
    True Fabrication
    Hammerhead Bicycles

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Alright, I visited with James Flatman last week and saw the shop at Alchemy as well as some bikes. We talked for 1/2hr to 1hr, don't remember. Probably more like an hour. He's enthusiastic, real straighforward, and seems to know his trade well. Ti welds were beautiful. His aluminum welds were real nice to. He had a Ti frame up on a jig almost ready to weld. I learned the difference between bulleted and hooded dropouts among other things.

I decided to ask James to build a Ti FS all mountain frame for me and we are in the progress of hashing out all the details. I encourage anyone local to give the shop a call and drop by to see some of James' work.

meh
    pretty sweet
    ventana rear?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu
    pretty sweet
    ventana rear?
    Yep. Ventana 5.5" rear (from the el Ciclon). Lefty 140mm fork. SRAM XX. Goin for the gusto on this. Gonna build it up myself, with the help of the shop I'm buying it through ... KGS Bikes here in San Antonio. The shop owner has a thing where he charges for the build as usual, but you can do it with his tools and guidance if you are so inclined. Nice option and I get to know the bike from the inside out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dipan
    I still don't quite get this. Aluminum, Ti, steel. They can all be built to suit, right? Ti is expensive, yes, but I'm not sure I consider it a waste.

The Ti in your road bike was probably used to suit it's application. No suspension componentry, so it's used less generously and the Ti is allowed to do absorb some of the harsh road feel. This would not be how a proper full suspension Ti bike would be built I'm thinking. Built flexy would be wrong for Ti just as it would be for Al or steel. But it can be built stiff. And last forever ... front triangle anyway as others have pointed out.
    I am not saying that ti is a waste of money for a FS frame, I just don't see how it trumps other materials in the application, and thus warrants the extra cash.

Sounds like a done deal though, so welcome to the club. The Ventana rear is very well behaved. If you are willing to put the time in for tuning I would recommend the DHX air, though an RP23 will work fine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Haroldlikesbikes
    I am not saying that ti is a waste of money for a FS frame, I just don't see how it trumps other materials in the application, and thus warrants the extra cash.

Sounds like a done deal though, so welcome to the club. The Ventana rear is very well behaved. If you are willing to put the time in for tuning I would recommend the DHX air, though an RP23 will work fine.
    I see what you're saying. I guess I'm happy paying a small premium for the Ti over steel or aluminum. I may save a tiny amount of weight over a steel bike, but feel it will outlast an Al bike. In the grand scheme of things, regarding this build, the choice of Ti is really only a relatively small premium, if you factor in the whole cost of the bike ...

Members who have read this thread: 0