Advice on riding in Dallas?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Advice on riding in Dallas?

i'm headed to dallas later this month for a trade show and i may have 10/25 free for a ride. if anybody has advice to offer on good places to rent a bike and good trails to ride i'd appreciate it. i'm not going to have a rental car and i'm staying at the adolphus hotel in downtown dallas so places near there for rental and within riding distance for riding would be the best.

thanks,
    head

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by head
    i'm headed to dallas later this month for a trade show and i may have 10/25 free for a ride. if anybody has advice to offer on good places to rent a bike and good trails to ride i'd appreciate it. i'm not going to have a rental car and i'm staying at the adolphus hotel in downtown dallas so places near there for rental and within riding distance for riding would be the best.

thanks,
    head
    My mom lives just outside of Dallas, I've been to Dallas, you may be out of luck. From my limited experience there is nothing to ride even remotley close to Dallas proper. Heck that whole area seemed like a MTB wasteland to me, but maybe someone else knows better.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Flackvest, helmet, and weapon !!!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

ugh.

sweet. this is shaping up nicely. maybe i'll rent a road bike.

mtbr member
    call tommy at uptown

http://www.uptowncycles.com/

he might/should be able to assist you in your search.

www.dorba.org is a good board to start with also
    "who's pushing the pedals on the season cycle?" -xtc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    My mom lives just outside of Dallas, I've been to Dallas, you may be out of luck. From my limited experience there is nothing to ride even remotley close to Dallas proper. Heck that whole area seemed like a MTB wasteland to me, but maybe someone else knows better.

wow. sorry your visit wasnt a great one. dallas pretty much kicks ace if you do your homework. there are 20 plus trails within a 30-45 minute drive of downtown.
    we may not have the lengthy climbs of the "oc" but we have technical hardcore trails better than most.

next time you visit big "D" visit www.dorba.org i guarantee you wont be disapointed
    "who's pushing the pedals on the season cycle?" -xtc

trapped in the soul cage
    Clowns.

See this site for all you need to know.

http://dorba.org/ go to "trails"

Check with Richardson Bike Mart (Dallas store) for rentals.

http://bikemart.com/page.cfm?PageID=336

There are 50+ miles worth of trails within a 45 minute drive of downtown. LB Houston is about 5 minutes, Rowlett Creek is about 30, Boulder Creek is about 15 minutes. Grapevine Lake is about 30 minutes, and Cedar Hill State Park is about 30 minutes south. If you want some serious challenges, Waco's Cameron Park is an hour +/- south of Dallas and will burst your lungs & heart very quickly.

If it has rained within 48hrs of your ride, don't bother - ride around White Rock Lake (pavement) instead. The mud will pack you up like cement, and you'll wreck the trail.

trapped in the soul cage
    What PhatPhil said.

Probably drunk right now

Dallas Sucks!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by head

thanks,
    head
    Like any urban singletrack system, the DFW metro area has to take green spaces where they can. So the ability to hook up and ride miles and miles of innerconnected trails isn't practical.

As the others have mentioned, DORBA is a great resource.

The only trails I've ridden so far in the DFW area are the two trails around Grapevine lake.

The North Shore trails are very similar to river bluff trails that undulate along the Northern shore of Grapevine Lake. Rock ledges and swooping, short elevation gains and losses make this a really fun, flowing and somewhat technical trail. The lake is down right now so there is a ton of exposed rock to play on as well.

Horseshoe is the other Grapevine Lake trail I've ridden. This trail is a maze of innerconnected twisty, flowing trails. I wouldn't ride there without a local guide because the trail markers tend to get torn down and it's realy hard to know where you're going and where the trails go. They're a hoot to ride, though. Ripping fast and twisty.

Mad Duck Cycles in Grapevine rents bikes as well. They're a great shop, work hard to support IMBA and advocacy and have treated me great every time I've gone in there, even though I'm not a local.

I'm looking forward to riding more of the Dallas trails. Another option (on which I'm very ignorant) is the Bar-H Ranch. I understand they have some great riding there as well. It's a pay to play trail system but I hear it's pretty nice. That's all I know about that.

Ken

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What he said...

Ditto Ken's comments - Grapevine Lake is an awesome little area to play, and Mad Duck Bikes can't be beat for a local resource. Check out the DORBA site, and the TX forum here for more info, and I think you'll be pleasantly suprised at the amount of good riding in the area.

There's a lot of old enduro moto types in the area that have turned their attention to mtb trails, so there's lots of linkable loops that can keep you busy for days.

34N 118W
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    The North Shore trails are very similar to river bluff trails that undulate along the Northern shore of Grapevine Lake. Rock ledges and swooping, short elevation gains and losses make this a really fun, flowing and somewhat technical trail. The lake is down right now so there is a ton of exposed rock to play on as well.
    what what's-his-name said. Grapevine is close, and fun. For a Mega-LBS experience if time allows, check out Richardson Bike Mart north of your hotel in Richardson. Was also Lance's first sponsor and *his* LBS.

oh, and rent a singlespeed if you can find one....not much elevation gain happening there.

here's a link to finding that all-important post-ride drink & meal
    http://www.guidelive.com/portal/page..._schema=PORTAL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phatphil
    wow. sorry your visit wasnt a great one. dallas pretty much kicks ace if you do your homework. there are 20 plus trails within a 30-45 minute drive of downtown.
    we may not have the lengthy climbs of the "oc" but we have technical hardcore trails better than most.

next time you visit big "D" visit www.dorba.org i guarantee you wont be disapointed
    Wow... technical hardcore trails better than most? Most what? Most other flat, boring areas? OK, I"ll buy that.

I lived there for a couple of years after living in WA and now living in New England. There is riding in the area, but it's not better than most. It's not better than any, really; it's satisfactory to get out for a workout.

There is a pretty healthy road scene in the area. I rode very few actual roads; the drivers are absolutely psychotic anywhere near the cities and scared the bejeebers out of me even in my truck! Get out of town aways and you're mostly OK, but there are a lot of really good paved bike paths in and around the DFW area, too.

I don't know which shop would rent bikes. I called a few when I had friends in town but couldn't find any that rented real moutain bikes. Richardson Bike Mart and Plano Cycling would probably be your best bets.

Bottom line, in my opinion, if you just want to put another notch in your camelback, by all means, find a rental bike and take a ride. But don't expect anything earthshattering. You'll get a good workout and enjoy the outdoors and that, by itself, is good.

Oh yeah, and what the previous posts said about riding after rain? Absolutely true. Don't go anywhere near the trails within a couple of days or so of a rain storm. I made that mistake once. Well, not really a "mistake", it had been 4 or 5 days since the last rain, but the ground was saturated and didn't dry. Whoooboy the mud!! Never want to try THAT again!

Probably drunk right now

Thanks Negative Nelly....

Quote Originally Posted by skiahh
    Wow... technical hardcore trails better than most? Most what? Most other flat, boring areas? OK, I"ll buy that.

I lived there for a couple of years after living in WA and now living in New England. There is riding in the area, but it's not better than most. It's not better than any, really; it's satisfactory to get out for a workout.

There is a pretty healthy road scene in the area. I rode very few actual roads; the drivers are absolutely psychotic anywhere near the cities and scared the bejeebers out of me even in my truck! Get out of town aways and you're mostly OK, but there are a lot of really good paved bike paths in and around the DFW area, too.

I don't know which shop would rent bikes. I called a few when I had friends in town but couldn't find any that rented real moutain bikes. Richardson Bike Mart and Plano Cycling would probably be your best bets.

Bottom line, in my opinion, if you just want to put another notch in your camelback, by all means, find a rental bike and take a ride. But don't expect anything earthshattering. You'll get a good workout and enjoy the outdoors and that, by itself, is good.

Oh yeah, and what the previous posts said about riding after rain? Absolutely true. Don't go anywhere near the trails within a couple of days or so of a rain storm. I made that mistake once. Well, not really a "mistake", it had been 4 or 5 days since the last rain, but the ground was saturated and didn't dry. Whoooboy the mud!! Never want to try THAT again!
    Yeah, no one should ride bikes on singletrack unless it's in some epic location with miles of sustained climbing and descending. That would make the sport really cool and grow it in a big way.....

Get real. Did the guy overstate his trails? Sure. But if someone is visiting the area and is looking to ride, I guess they shouldn't based on your assessment.

On the other hand, I've ridden a couple trails in Dallas and had a blast! Fruita/Flagstaff/Sedona blast? No. They don't compare. But I rode and had fun on some fun trails.

Probably drunk right now

PS: Santa Cruz Heckler...

That's the bike I rented from Mad Duck. Not a real mountain bike I suppose, but it was spec'd out with a full XT group, Hayes Hydraulic Disc Brakes, A RS Psylo 20mm through axel and Thomson stem and post.

I realize that it's more department store than your Specialized, but it served me OK.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    That's the bike I rented from Mad Duck. Not a real mountain bike I suppose, but it was spec'd out with a full XT group, Hayes Hydraulic Disc Brakes, A RS Psylo 20mm through axel and Thomson stem and post.

I realize that it's more department store than your Specialized, but it served me OK.
    Hey, I said I called a few and couldn't find one. Good for you that you found one I didn't. I don't even recall hearing the name Mad Duck, but it is a big area with lots of shops. They probably weren't near where I was going to be riding or where I lived, so didn't call if I saw their name in the phone book.

As for riding, I did say he'd probably enjoy it for the day.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    you really need to get a rental car. then go to richardson bike mart and rent an epic or stumpjumper. head north to Johnson Branch. As mentioned further south takes you to Cameron Park in Waco--that venue has hosted a NORBA National. Further north of Johnson Branch even eventually gets you to Bar H ranch which might be the sweetest of them all. Hvae fun.

Members who have read this thread: 0