Advice on Austin- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 36 of 36
  1. #1

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    62

    Advice on Austin

    I'm heading down to Austin to live soon. The wife and I have job opportunities there.
    We're going to check out the area soon to see what town we want to live in.
    Maybe you guys can point me in the right direction.

    We need to be somewhat close(max 30 minutes out lets say) to the city. Good school for the youngin and I wanna be strategically located to the trails.

    Any ideas?
    Thanks

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Evil Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,747
    Well, income is going to determine your choices.

    Give us a price range for the house. What are you looking to spend?
    -- Evil Patrick

    Some of my Music

    My Videos

    The trail...shall set you free.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,223
    Yep, let us know - I am about to close on a house, so have just spent months evaluating the market. Hopefully I picked up some info that will be usefull to you.

    edit: Here are some sites that are good-
    home search:
    www.searchaustinonline.com
    www.austinhomesearch.com
    www.zillow.com
    www.housingmaps.com/ (craigslist listings only)

    valuation tools:
    www.housealmanac.com
    www.propertyshark.com
    Last edited by CharacterZero; 02-09-2007 at 09:34 AM.

  4. #4

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    62
    Price range is tough because we're not to sure what our salary will be down there.
    I'd guess we would aim for 300k to 325k.

  5. #5
    Builder of Trails
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    797
    And it also kind of depends on what kind of trails you like to ride. If you like hard packed, wider singletrack, then you want to live near Walnut Creek. If you like technical, rocky trail, live somewhere that gives you access to the west/southwest side of town for the Greenbelt, City Park, et al.

    The other trails aren't located within 30 minutes of the city.

    Oh, and Austin sucks! You really don't want to live here.

    D
    Last edited by dburatti; 02-09-2007 at 12:04 PM.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Evil Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,747
    Quote Originally Posted by gjabo178
    Price range is tough because we're not to sure what our salary will be down there.
    I'd guess we would aim for 300k to 325k.
    OK. The best riding is actually right IN TOWN. The Greenbelt. But there's NO WAY you're
    buying a house in town on that budget. Maybe you _could_ find something, but I
    certainly wouldn't want to live in that neighborhood!

    The next best place to ride is closer to City Park road and, once again, you cannot get into
    a house for 300k to 325k in that area. Sorry. Don't believe me? Do a zillow.com search.

    Look in the Cedar Park area. Look in the Leander area. Look in the Oak Hill area. You'll be
    well within the 30 miles you were hoping for and you can easily get into those areas for the
    300k to 325k you are budgeting.


    Oh yeah. Uhmm, not sure what kind of trails you were looking for, but...

    [ripped right from one of my other posts]

    In Austin, there are hills. Steep hills. In your face hills.

    With rocks. Big rocks. Loose, knock you off your line rocks. Everywhere (except Walnut).

    And limestone steps. Big steps. Bang your chainring steps.

    And trees. Limbs everywhere trees. Handlebar knocking trees.

    And our trails make use of all of these challenges.

    If you haven't ridden here, get ready for Mama Nature to hand you your a s s.

    muHAHAHAHAhaaaa!

    I like to watch...

    [/ripped right from one of my other posts]
    -- Evil Patrick

    Some of my Music

    My Videos

    The trail...shall set you free.

  7. #7

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    62
    I'll take the nastiest, steepest, scariest trails you can give me.

    So a nice house closer to the city is what?... 400k , 500k?
    I love being house poor!

    Did i mention i want at least a half acre lot?

    btw Zillow sucks. it says my house is worth 350k and I couldn't get more than 250.
    I've been hovering on realtor.com and there are quite a few choices in roundrock, lakeway, etc at 350K. Nice house to boot.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Evil Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,747
    No affiliation:

    http://www.zillow.com/HomeDetails.htm?zprop=58298807

    Anyone following the map and recognizing where this house is, remember, this is a public forum.

    ;-)
    -- Evil Patrick

    Some of my Music

    My Videos

    The trail...shall set you free.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,223
    So, 325k will get you a kick ass house in North part of section 10, near southwest parkway.
    325 will buy several houses in Travis Country - ranging from 1980s to late 1990s. Decent schools.
    Cedar Park, Leander, all more than 30 from downtown.
    The hard part will be getting a 1/2 acre lot within 30 minutes of downtown for that price.
    Cheap, close, big pick 2 (right?).

    If you can spare a bit more change, check the Lost Creek neighborhood. Both Lost Creek and Travis Country border the far end of the gb - lost creek in a kick-ass school district and closer to town, travis country in ok district and just a hair further.

    For access to trails, all the worthwhile ones are really in teh w/nw - this section of town is hilly. the other half (other side of 1/mopac and south of 71) is somewhat flat.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,223
    double post

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick
    No affiliation:

    http://www.zillow.com/HomeDetails.htm?zprop=58298807

    Anyone following the map and recognizing where this house is, remember, this is a public forum.

    ;-)
    Very nice house. Good trails. OK schools.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Evil Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,747
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    Cedar Park, Leander, all more than 30 from downtown.
    The hard part will be getting a 1/2 acre lot within 30 minutes of downtown for that price.
    Cheap, close, big pick 2 (right?).

    I'm just outside of Cedar Park, on Lake Travis (across the street) and I'm 35 minutes from
    downtown. It's a Leander address (even though it's off of 1431 and only 1 mile west of the
    west Cedar Park city limits sign while being about 8 miles south of Leander proper.)

    35 minutes. Drive it every morning and evening and to the Greenbelt on weekends. Never
    do more than 5mph over the posted speed limits (I'm too old for tickets!)
    -- Evil Patrick

    Some of my Music

    My Videos

    The trail...shall set you free.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick
    I'm just outside of Cedar Park, on Lake Travis (across the street) and I'm 35 minutes from
    downtown. It's a Leander address (even though it's off of 1431 and only 1 mile west of the
    west Cedar Park city limits sign while being about 8 miles south of Leander proper.)

    35 minutes. Drive it every morning and evening and to the Greenbelt on weekends. Never
    do more than 5mph over the posted speed limits (I'm too old for tickets!)
    A-HA
    35 doesnt equal 30!

    it is close, but you must not work typical hours, me thinks!

  14. #14

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    62
    sssss

  15. #15

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    62
    what is section 10? also, what town is lost creek apart of.
    Thanks again.

    Maybe i should just rent for a while before buying a house. That would relieve some stress from the move down there!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,223
    Quote Originally Posted by gjabo178
    what is section 10? also, what town is lost creek apart of.
    Thanks again.

    Maybe i should just rent for a while before buying a house. That would relieve some stress from the move down there!
    section 10 is on the MLS map - on the austinhomesearch.com site.

    renting would take the heat off. it would also put you in a position to buy when houses start comign on the market after the school year, which is when the market (supply and demand) surges.

    the market has not had a whole lot of listings since the turn of the year, a lot of old inventory around. like the house posted above- it has been on teh market for several months now. a lowball might even get you in, it really is a killer house and good location.

    edit: lost creek is off 360 (cap of tx hwy) between intersections of mopac (aka 1) and bee caves (aka 2244)

  17. #17
    amar la vida de dos niner
    Reputation: scorpionwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,682
    Quote Originally Posted by gjabo178
    Maybe i should just rent for a while before buying a house.
    I think that's an excellent idea. And I'd like to toss out my neighborhood as being very family oriented, having a *great* elementary school and good high school (middle school is a little iffy), marked bike lines, and being located so that most destinations are an easy drive (or bike ride) away. I'm in Allandale. If you Mapquest "7200 Shoal Creek Blvd" in Austin, you'll see where the 'hood is. (It extends on down for a ways.)

    And houses are not too terribly expensive, lying mostly in the 300-400K range for the really nice ones.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,492
    why all the talk about houses?

    How about riding?

    http://www.austinbike.com

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,223
    shameless. absolutely shameless.

    just might have to mention this one to you tomorrow. we shall see -10am, right?

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,492
    Shameless? If I was making money off of the site, yeah, shameless.

    Tomorrow at 10:00.

    I need to pick up the foreigner at BSS at ~9:30 so we should be there in time, but if his rental takes a little longer, cut us some slack.

    I guarantee a good ride.

  21. #21

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    19
    Hello y'all. I am a new rider here in Austin. Been out to McKinney falls and just yesterday to Walnut Creek. Having fun, getting sore legs and dirt on my bike. Anyway, I just wanted to jump in. I did not want to start a thread to say hello.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,541

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by damnewc
    Hello y'all. I am a new rider here in Austin. Been out to McKinney falls and just yesterday to Walnut Creek. Having fun, getting sore legs and dirt on my bike. Anyway, I just wanted to jump in. I did not want to start a thread to say hello.
    Welcome new Austin rider! People come all the way from the Republic of California to ride Walnut Creek - amazing trail, all you need is right there. Wal Mart is just up the road too!

  23. #23

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    19
    I read on austinbike.com that it had a low technical level and was good for beginners, if that is low, I am never going to Thumper, hell no! A couple of those descents scared the crap outta me. Does anybody ride the root, cliff-drop creek crossing? Or does everybody carry across that thing?

  24. #24
    Chilling out
    Reputation: bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,993
    Quote Originally Posted by damnewc
    I read on austinbike.com that it had a low technical level and was good for beginners, if that is low, I am never going to Thumper, hell no! A couple of those descents scared the crap outta me. Does anybody ride the root, cliff-drop creek crossing? Or does everybody carry across that thing?
    There's a couple difficulty-spiked items at WC, but other than that it's pretty tame for Austin.

    Yes, there's nothing on the trail lines that doesn't get ridden by somebody.

    Don't rule out Thumper though. Ride regularly for a year here and you'll be surprised how your "bar" has changed.

    Come out to the group rides that are called, mostly on bikemojo.com in the voodoo forum, and you'll get a new appreciation for stuff too.

  25. #25

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by bear
    There's a couple difficulty-spiked items at WC, but other than that it's pretty tame for Austin.

    Yes, there's nothing on the trail lines that doesn't get ridden by somebody.

    Don't rule out Thumper though. Ride regularly for a year here and you'll be surprised how your "bar" has changed.

    Come out to the group rides that are called, mostly on bikemojo.com in the voodoo forum, and you'll get a new appreciation for stuff too.
    Cool, thank you. Checking out mojo now.

    I was suprised at how much I tried at WC yesterday. By the end of my ride, i was doing much more than I thought I would try at the begining.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,492
    welcome to austin

    http://www.austinbike.com will have all the info that you need.

    yeah, I am a site pimp

  27. #27

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike
    welcome to austin

    http://www.austinbike.com will have all the info that you need.

    yeah, I am a site pimp
    Thanks for the welcome, but not new to Austin. New to cycling. And I love your site. It has been the most informative tool for my riding so far.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GorillaTactics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    231
    that's really hilarious to me that you posted about that...I ripped my hydraulic brake line yesterday after an endo on that very drop...i had to laugh when I read that.

    Yeah, it's totally rideable though-go fast and get the rear wheel down first! Glad you're enjoying riding!

  29. #29

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by GorillaTactics
    that's really hilarious to me that you posted about that...I ripped my hydraulic brake line yesterday after an endo on that very drop...i had to laugh when I read that.

    Yeah, it's totally rideable though-go fast and get the rear wheel down first! Glad you're enjoying riding!

    Okay dude, if we are talking about the same drop, you are totally whacked. Bob Hannah on his YZ250 would baulk at that drop. I would love to see somebody try that!

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GorillaTactics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    231
    we're definitely not talking about the same drop then...there a spot that drops down into the creekbed with a nice little launcher over some roots down some rough limestone-that's what I'm talking about. The place I'm talking about isn't that gnarly, I just f-ked up.

    Walnut is a great place to progress, once you learn the loops and what's ahead of where you happen to be on the trail, you'll be ripping it up in no time. Holler if you see me out there-I'm a 6'6" dude on a green Kona Dawg Primo. I will NOT be wearing lycra, i will be wearing a CamelBak.

  31. #31

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by GorillaTactics
    we're definitely not talking about the same drop then...there a spot that drops down into the creekbed with a nice little launcher over some roots down some rough limestone-that's what I'm talking about. The place I'm talking about isn't that gnarly, I just f-ked up.

    Walnut is a great place to progress, once you learn the loops and what's ahead of where you happen to be on the trail, you'll be ripping it up in no time. Holler if you see me out there-I'm a 6'6" dude on a green Kona Dawg Primo. I will NOT be wearing lycra, i will be wearing a CamelBak.
    I am not sure when I will be back out there, but I sure as hell won't be in lycra. Purple Gary Fisher anf my shirt is blaze orange.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,492
    Still, to this date, the best root drop that I saw was J. He did a major wheelie drop over the root, one bounce, then plopped right into the creek and wiped out.

    That drop is deceiving, I've never made it, I've missed it a few times and then gave up. But when I watch people ride it, it looks so easy. Probably psychological.

  33. #33

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike
    Still, to this date, the best root drop that I saw was J. He did a major wheelie drop over the root, one bounce, then plopped right into the creek and wiped out.

    That drop is deceiving, I've never made it, I've missed it a few times and then gave up. But when I watch people ride it, it looks so easy. Probably psychological.

    It looks wicked as hell. I get shivers just looking at it.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hammerheadbikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,753
    Quote Originally Posted by damnewc
    I read on austinbike.com that it had a low technical level and was good for beginners, if that is low, I am never going to Thumper, hell no! A couple of those descents scared the crap outta me. Does anybody ride the root, cliff-drop creek crossing? Or does everybody carry across that thing?

    come on man!
    Thumper is GOOD fun
    especially at night when it's wet and slippery and the wild hogs are out

    he he he

    weren't you in the marines?
    you aren't supposed to be scared of anything

  35. #35

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    19
    No I was not a Marine. I was Army.

    I saw two or three people do that root drop a few weeks ago at an R&I that I actually kept up with the group on, at least to the creek. It was cool to watch. I am afraid I need more bicycle to attempt drops that gnarly.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,492
    Or ride thumper like I did. July afternoon. 100+ degrees, relatively fresh trail. 99% humidity. Big sushi dinner the night before.

    I need to get out there, it's been a year and I'm sure it's more "ridden in" then when I was there.

    Oh, yeah, I crashed into a cactus too.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.