4X Racing in Texas! This Saturday 3/24- Mtbr.com

Jul 2006

4X Racing in Texas! This Saturday 3/24

Armadillo BMX in Conroe is having an mtb class this Saturday evening. Numerous riders from the Hosuton area have already thrown their hat in. Gates open at 5 Pm and racing starts around 7:30. This will be in conjunction with their regular Saturday night races. Should be a good time. The track is open tonight for practice. No racing license required. Let's get a good group together so we can have these races more regularly.

www.armadillobmx.net
    www.teamsmack.org go to the General Chit Chat forum and look for the thread entitled Saturday Night Smack Down for more info.

Armadillo is just off I-45 North. South side of Conroe, north of Houston. I-45 at FM 1488 on the East side of the freeway. Next to 3 Palms Motocross Park.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    dang I missed it how was the racing???

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Looked like lotz-o-fun. Here's a quick and dirty vid of moto's 1 and 2 and the main (I missed moto 3).

Click here for racing action

I'm thinking TXHucker woulda won it all if his chain woulda stayed on--he had the holeshot both times until he dropped it.

And remember, this is the first time most of those guys have raced or been on a track.

Jan 2007
    I wish I would have known about this. Is this going to be regular Saturday event? Where else is there to race 4X in Texas?

Jul 2006
    Twin Parks has a 4X course but not sure about actual races.

Armadillo will hold more MTB classes. Keith said just to ge some guys together and he'll add a class for us. I'll post up here when we plan the next outing. They race Tuesdays and Saturdays.

Sep 2005
    I wish I knew about this sooner. A friend and I would be willing to make the trip from College Station to get in on this. We'll probably come in last, but it looks like its fun.

tuck-n-roll master
    Quote Originally Posted by psteffy
    I wish I knew about this sooner. A friend and I would be willing to make the trip from College Station to get in on this. We'll probably come in last, but it looks like its fun.
    sounds like a fellow aggie... i never would have thought there would be a 4x race around houston.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cru Jones
    Yikes. :nono: We need to add about 10 years onto that age. Unless she's a smokin hottie, then maybe 5...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    so is anyone going out there this sat? are there any races for 4x?

Jul 2006
    Go to www.teamsmack.org
    Go to the General Chit Chat forum and look for threads entitled Tuesday or Saturday Night Smackdown. I think they are trying to get some more guys to race this Saturday evening. It has been raining here this week so Armadillo may not be racing. www.armadillobmx.net

I'm out for a while. The first one we had a couple weeks ago was rough. My chain popped off at full gas and I took a digger into the face of a jump. Taco'ed the front rim and possibly broke my fork. And some gnarly bruises to go along.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    if the course is not down hill its not 4X (IMHO). Twin Parks, outside Austin, is/was 4X but sadly there was not enough participation.

h-town hucker
    im going this saturday. practice starts at 5:30pm. sign ups between 6-7:30pm.
    AZONIC

Jan 2007
    It's raining as usual.

h-town hucker
    Quote Originally Posted by Graydog
    It's raining as usual.
    yep. im gonna call before i leave tomorrow.
    AZONIC

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    do bmx tracks normally allow mountain bikers...cuz there's one track in pearland that I want to hit up but not sure if they allow mountain bikes

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    most tracks will nix the MTB cause of the front brake and possibly no bar padding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm pretty sure they'll let you ride at practice at least (I know of some who've done it). For racing they'll probably put you in the cruiser class. And most of the time you need a full-face if you're under 18, pants and long sleeves (they may let you wear shin guards and shorts instead of pants), and have stem and top-tube pads.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TXneedmountain
    do bmx tracks normally allow mountain bikers...cuz there's one track in pearland that I want to hit up but not sure if they allow mountain bikes

well i have talked to some guys that have said that as long as you have bar plugs and stem and TT pads your ok.

Jul 2006
    Most tracks will let you if you pay the practice fee. Some tracks will require you to buy the membership, some won't. I've seen MTB's in the cruiser class at national races before. Every track is owned and run by an independent individual therefore the rules are not evenly applied. Keith at Armadillo in Conroe is a very cool person. Look him up when you go out there. He said that he will make a mtb class whenever we want it. We just need at least 2 or 3 guys to make it happen. We need to get another one going although it will be 2 more weeks before I can participate. Last time was really fun. Hanging out, drinking beers, grilling brisket on the back of Bob's trailer, crashing, making fools of ourselves.

I'm going to see if we can set something up for May 5. Racing with sombreros and cold Coronas!!

Members who have read this thread: 0