29er Tires for Houston Visit?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

29er Tires for Houston Visit?

Hi all,

Looks like I'm about to be in Houston for 1+ months for work, and I'll be traveling down from MA with my bikes.

Looking for a recommendation for a good (not too heavy) tire for Houston riding for late Jan, Feb, and maybe early March. And, BTW, I will run whatever's recommended tubeless with sealant. I'm pretty sure that the Stouts I have on the Sultan for the winter are overkill.

Thanks in advance for the help. Looking forward to getting in some real riding in the winter again!

One last question: what are the must-hit trails this time of year? Anthills, Memorial Park, etc?

Edit: Just figured out that I'm going to have time for 1 weekend in Austin. Please consider this with the tire recommendation.
    Last edited by ecthelion; 01-13-2011 at 03:03 PM.
    Quiring KVA MS2 29er SS
    Quiring XCr Road
    Tallboy Carbon
    Fisticuff
    ARR | IMBA NMBP

T
    I like my ignitors, but haven't converted to tubeless yet.

Must hit trails in town are anthills, memorial and jack brooks. If you drive a bit, rocky hill ranch, bluff creek ranch, double lake or huntsville.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep the Ignitors on my list. Just took a pair of Aspens off the bike this fall--loved'em, but they're not a tire for leaf cover.

Ignitor front, crossmark rear is a combo I've seen recommended elsewhere but never tried. Think that would do well?

Also, I'm considering the Racing Ralph, Rocket Ron, and the Ikon. Opinions?
    Quiring KVA MS2 29er SS
    Quiring XCr Road
    Tallboy Carbon
    Fisticuff
    ARR | IMBA NMBP

T
    I'm currently running ignitor front and aspen rear. The leaf cover is really no problem here, at least on my usual trails. I'm sure a crossmark rear would do good.

I have not tried the others you mention, but would like to get an ikon to try.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Houston? Anything that holds air will do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr
    Houston? Anything that holds air will do.
    Uhm, how about something actually useful?
    Quiring KVA MS2 29er SS
    Quiring XCr Road
    Tallboy Carbon
    Fisticuff
    ARR | IMBA NMBP

meh
    its actually kinda realistic...houston doesnt have technical terrain so to speak its all very XC, so I would stay away from big and nobby as its unnecessary for what trails there are, but at the same time you can use them

sb8, crossmark, racing ralph, rocket ron, aspens, etc, will all be pretty good...i would not buy a set of tires that you won't be using once you've left houston

if you still have the aspens, why not use those?

mtbr member
    Clewttu,

Thanks for the sugestions! Of them, the only one that wouldn't fit in up here at some point is the sb8. Never dry enough. Any of the others would be nice additions to the quiver, though.

I do still have the Aspen's, but wasn't impressed with them in leaf-covered conditions as a front tire, nor did I think they were good for sticky mud. I've not been in Houston enough to know if the trails are either of those things this time of year, hence the question. Guess I am sorta afraid that Houston's like here or back home in AL--too muddy and/or leaf covered this time of year.
    Quiring KVA MS2 29er SS
    Quiring XCr Road
    Tallboy Carbon
    Fisticuff
    ARR | IMBA NMBP

meh
    leaves wont be an issue, and riding muddy trails is heavily frowned upon with our soil type as it can tear up the trails fast

also, the local forum is prob a better place to go, at least in dfw it is, as there is usually more action there then here
    http://www.ghorba.org/

mtbr member
    If leaves and mud aren't concerns, I may just re-mount the Aspens, or maybe pick up that set of Ikon's I've been wanting to try. Thanks!
    Quiring KVA MS2 29er SS
    Quiring XCr Road
    Tallboy Carbon
    Fisticuff
    ARR | IMBA NMBP

meh
    been wanting to try those too, if you get a set, post up how you like them

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    SB8 are good as well but only for the summer cause these mths its too damp. Nevegals are good.
    Jack Brooks is a must hit!
    Mountain biking never gets easier... You just get faster

mtbr member
    Hit City Park (Emma Long) while your in Austin. Short technical trail with lots of rock, drops, & ledges. Rocky Hill is a blast too!

Jeff

Members who have read this thread: 0