29 inch tire choice for central texas- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2011

29 inch tire choice for central texas

Looking at 29 tubeless tires for cross country riding in central texas any suggestions? trail I ride the most is the Madrone with Flatrock, Austin and SA trails sprinkled in?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I like my Kenda Small block 8 for the back. All it needed was something to help seal the bead for tubeless. On the front I have a Racing Ralph Swaebe, that thing has a sorts of pinholes and things leaking on it. Finally got it to hold air for now.

mtbr member
    front-conti trail king
    rear-conti race king

Very fast rolling setup.
    "Don't believe everything you read on the internet." -Abraham Lincoln

mtbr member
    I have Maxxis Crossmark tires on ZTR Flow rims. I like them around 32-33psi vs the 36-37 I started out with.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Since Continental has yet to come to market with a Black Chili 29er tire. I run a 2.25 Nobby Nic in the front and a 2.25 Racing Ralph in the rear. They work great for me. May change to the Mountain King and X-King Protections if they ever make it to market.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Everything I've used has been tubeless. I ran 2.4 Racing Ralphs for a while with no problems but was always nervous about ripping the sidewalls on rocks because they're so thin. Lately, I've been running a 2.4 Maxxis Ardent on the front of mine and a 2.4 Specialized Purgatory on the rear (I think I might flip-flop them though). On my gf's bike, we have a 2.4 Ardent on the front and a 2.35 Rampage on the rear. The Ardents technically aren't tubeless rated but they setup very easy and I've had no problems running them tubeless. I really like the Ardents, they roll well, have good traction, and are pretty durable.

Big Boy
    im running ikons front and rear. usually ride madrone 2 or 3 times a month, and purgatory in san marcos 1-2 times a week, and random trails in austin. i use the exo protection model and it has held up really well to the rocks. its also light and rolls well. not the grippiest, but the really knobby slow tires dont do much better on the loose rock all around central texas imo.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!! :cornut:

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by texasnavy05 View Post
    im running ikons front and rear. usually ride madrone 2 or 3 times a month, and purgatory in san marcos 1-2 times a week, and random trails in austin. i use the exo protection model and it has held up really well to the rocks. its also light and rolls well. not the grippiest, but the really knobby slow tires dont do much better on the loose rock all around central texas imo.
    Speaking of Purgatory, how is it as a ride? Is it a loop or out and back? well marked? comparison to Madrone? and did you get the tumors on the IKONS?

Big Boy
    its a pretty good trail system. all in all i think there is about 9 or 10 miles of trail, but i do one part of the trail out and back and it adds up to about 13 or 14 miles. the main trail is well marked and there are maps available, but the side trails arent marked. compared to madrone, its similar in terms of buff to rock ratio, but one thing i hate is that every chance you get to build some momentum, there is a switchback or clump of larger rocks that force you to slow and kill the flow alot of times. Havent gotten the dreaded tumors on the ikons, but they are newer still.

honestly, i wouldnt ride purgatory that much if it wasnt so close to my house. its only 10 minutes away. it will make you a better technical rider, but if you are gonna drive somewhere to go ride, i would recommend something else (canyon lake, walnut creek, barton creek, rocky hill, flat rock, reveille peak, etc) they are worth more of a drive imo.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!! :cornut:

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Geax Saguaro 29x2.2 FTW.

These tires are great for the types of trails we have around here, best tire I have used.

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by rdeeno View Post
    On the front I have a Racing Ralph Swaebe, that thing has a sorts of pinholes and things leaking on it. Finally got it to hold air for now.

I'm having this exact same problem. Brand new, it looks like some one went to town on the sidewalls with a needle. How the hell is this suppose to be "tubeless" ready if it has tiny pin holes in the sidewalls?!?

With enough sealant I seem to be able to slow down the pressure loss, but not remove it entirely. Not sure if I should attempt to return warranty it or return it or what? I bought two of these - I'm afraid to air up the other one on the rear because then I might be stuck with two leaking tubeless tires.
    "Single track is for pansies!
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by texasnavy05 View Post
    I'd ammend Ignitor front, Ikon rear. EXO sidewall protection tires. Got mine from Treefort bikes for ~$50 each (they pricematched bike.com). This is my race day setup.

That said, I'm currently running nevegals. Mostly for the price, but they really do hook up well in all conditions. Stan's will denature Nevegals after 8 months or so, and then they'll get huge bubbles in them and burst. The rubber is so soft these tires don't last much longer than that anyway (I ride ~100 miles a month on them).
    =====
    bacon (is my dog)
    http://www.sbtec.com

Members who have read this thread: 0