2 days in Austin- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2 days in Austin

Looking for somewhere warm to ride and throw up a hammock for a couple days next week since I have a week off before I start my new job. I like chunky, techy trails and I'm looking for some 20+ mile rides.

I'm thinking Rocky Hill Ranch and Goodwater Loop? Are these good choices?

mtbr member
    You might take a look at Waco's Cameron park, and brushy creek in north Austin/round rock.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Rocky Hill is anything but chunky and technical. More like smooth, forested, sandy riding in an East Texas pine forest. Need to go west and/or south of Austin to get chunky and technical.
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    Colnago C60 Disc

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Why not try to kill yourself on Emma Long?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleSpeedSteven View Post
    Looking for somewhere warm to ride and throw up a hammock for a couple days next week since I have a week off before I start my new job. I like chunky, techy trails and I'm looking for some 20+ mile rides.

I'm thinking Rocky Hill Ranch and Goodwater Loop? Are these good choices?
    Brushy Creek would be a good choice. If you link all the trails available you can probably hit your target miles. Brushy has plenty of tech also some really exposed cliffside trails. Not a great amount of climbing but some small punchy climbs and not much recovery between really making it a lung burner. Haven't ridden Goodwater but hear it's got a good mix of features and one loop is about 27 miles. Emma Long is some brutal chunky tech lots of stair steps bring your trials skills. Barton creek is also another local favorite for tech. Rocky Hill is mostly basic single track not too much tech. Reveille Peak is another great trail network lots of climbing and a good mix of just about everything tire traction here is insane unlike all the limestone in the Austin area which can be really slick with just a minor amount of moisture.
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleSpeedSteven View Post
    Looking for somewhere warm to ride and throw up a hammock ... I like chunky, techy trails and I'm looking for some 20+ mile rides.

I'm thinking ... Goodwater Loop? Are these good choices?
    Yes to Goodwater on the chunky and length. Don't know anything about hammock camping but there seemed to be many areas near the trail with suitable trees and private-ish.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I am semi retired and can ride almost every day. If you want to ride the BCGB (best trail system in Austin) then ping me. I ride it singlespeed as well.

If you are going to ride in Austin I would say BCGB and Brushy are the best 2 trails to ride. Georgetown is a little further out and can be a real beat down. RHR is not well maintained so you are paying someone to ride on trails that are not maintained, which I always hate.

Pace Bend is another good one, very singlespeedable. Also there are some non-public trails that are great on a singlespeed if you know someone that can show you.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com