1-2 day trip to hill country...What to ride?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2007

1-2 day trip to hill country...What to ride?

My wife and I will be making a day trip to the Austin area for some new to us singletrack. We have ridden Rocky Hill Ranch, and have been considering checking out Revielle Ranch, Flat Rock Ranch, Colorado Bend State Park to name a few. I enjoy challenging scenic terrain which I have read on www.mountainbiketx.com are characteristic of most of these trails. Hoping for some local input.Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    ABSOLUTELY hit Revielle Peak (RPR). Check the website to make sure no other events are happening, but well worth the drive there. Colorado Bend is another 45 min past that, which is good but not worth the long drive in my opinion. Muleshoe Bend or Pace Bend are closer and better. If you really want to up the stakes, hit up City Park (Emma Long) and bring some suspension and armor. If you haven't been on the Green Belt back trails, you need to find someone to give you a tour. I'd post up on www.bikemojo.com on the Austin Voodoo section for that.

XC racer
    May 2005
    Lots in the general area. You can spend a full day easily at Flat Rock Ranch in Comfort. Pace Bend and Reimer's Ranch parks each good for a half day's riding. Greenbelt in town is fun. Haven't been to Reveille yet, looks interesting.

cfx
    mtbr member
    Flat Rock Ranch is fantastic. Jimmy and Terri are great people! Could spend all day riding the upper and lower loops.

C..
    The amount of intelligence on the planet is finite .. the population keeps growing ..

mtbr member
    How is the camping at Flat Rock, thinking about going day for a few days.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Looking like either Flat Rock or Revielle. Maybe both if we stay over night. Will read up on Muelshoe, Pace Bend and Reimer's. Thanks

cfx
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by auto
    How is the camping at Flat Rock, thinking about going day for a few days.
    The wife and I have camped out at FFR and had great times. The primitive sites are nice and shaded and have fire rings, but you need to make sure a burn ban isn't in effect. Water, showers and port-o-pots are all close by and you're not far from the trail heads at all. Good times!

info can be found here: http://www.flatrockranch.net/primitivecamping.html

They also have trailer hook ups available if you aren't roughing it.

C..
    The amount of intelligence on the planet is finite .. the population keeps growing ..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cfx
    The wife and I have camped out at FFR and had great times. The primitive sites are nice and shaded and have fire rings, but you need to make sure a burn ban isn't in effect. Water, showers and port-o-pots are all close by and you're not far from the trail heads at all. Good times!

info can be found here: http://www.flatrockranch.net/primitivecamping.html

They also have trailer hook ups available if you aren't roughing it.

C..
    excellent, sounds like a blast. Hope these pesky job interviews do not get in the way.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Just an update. We ended up going out to Revielle Peak Ranch yesterday and WOW!
    Met Jamie who greeted us as we pulled in and hooked us up with the map etc. We dont have much riding experience in Austin but have never seen anything like this place. Only regret is we got out there later than we would have liked and didn't get to ride it all. We managed to hit a bit more than half of the race loop, then took the upper loop section (where we probably spent too much time), as we were running out of daylight we had to bypass the Super D section which really sucked! Had my [email protected]@ handed to me on a couple of occasions out on the upper loop but what a blast. Well built trail with alot of tech. involved to up anyones skill level...( particularly mine ) Woke up this morning a little bruised and sore,but smiling from ear to ear! If you haven't been... go. We'll be back

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Glad you liked RPR! Next time, hit the Super D line and there should be a SICK pump track in place by then.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yeah that's what Jamie said ( about the pump track ). I was admiring the Yeti D.J. hanging on the wall and commented how I need an excuse to pick up another Yeti, as my wife rolled her eyes. Still can't get over that place. I'm still pissed for having to bypass the super d section. That video that was posted here was the reason we went out there. If there's more trails like Revielle in Austin, I'll either have to relocate or get a more fuel efficient vehicle. Also, props to the dude who said "follow me" with an evil grin,and proceeded to show me the alternate line out to the "bones" section on his hardtail. Nice skills brother!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    McKinney Falls SP and Pedernales Falls SP. Both near Austin. Great campgrounds. A couple of killer hills
    After 40, crashing doesn't hurt as much as getting up.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by keithrad
    That video that was posted here was the reason we went out there.
    glad to hear it, bud. that was our buddy RS riding and my camera/editing...but we all built the super d course. i've heard about that pumptrack thing...sounds promising.

as far as other riding in ATX like RPR...there isn't really. that is what makes RPR so unique is the amount of exposed rock/slickrock. Now, let's just say that much of the riding in austin is every bit as techy as the riding there- plenty of stuff to keep you bruised yet grinning!

mtbr member
    Planing on doing RPR soon .... really soon....

Members who have read this thread: 0