Thread: Proud Poppa!

K&K

Proud Poppa!

Nothing to do with tandems but I hope you'll indulge me, but this is the only venue I have any acquaintances who might care My daughter just finished 5th in the Amateur Women's Open Division of the Whiskey Off Road 25 in Prescott AZ in a field of 42. Snow, sleet, hail, rain. There were 2000 total participants with 495 riders on the 25 proof route. I'm gonna bet it was messy!

mtbr member

Proud Poppa!

Congrats to your daughter!
    Are you in Prescott?
    It was a full on blizzard this AM. The Whiskey 50 riders went out on schedule and got the brunt of the weather. Thankfully they delayed the start if the 25 until noon and the weather was pretty nice.

Harsh weather this morning though. I'm really glad I wasn't out on the course! (Not riding it this year, but I live here.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --Reamer

K&K
    We watched the grandkids while Daughter and her husband rode so we didn't get to see her on the podium

Guess they shortened both courses because the 50 riders were starting to freeze to their bikes :P Contrary to my expectation, i guess the trails were in good shape after all.

mtbr member

Proud Poppa!

Quote Originally Posted by ki5ka View Post
    We watched the grandkids while Daughter and her husband rode so we didn't get to see her on the podium

Guess they shortened both courses because the 50 riders were starting to freeze to their bikes :P Contrary to my expectation, i guess the trails were in good shape after all.
    The 50 course was not shortened.
    --Reamer

my dog's Frisbee launcher
    Congrats to your Daughter,
    that was one crazy storm, I have been a course marshal for the past seven years and took this year off to ride it, only to blow out my knee a couple weeks back.
    I worked at the bike shop Saturday, at start time riders were coming in looking for warmer gear...we were duct taping shoes for some...and looked out the window the snow was coming down sideways....so the owners headed to the start line with trash bags and handed them out to the riders...everyone had lots of story's to tell this year...hats off to everyone who rode Saturday
    Darwin was an Optimist

K&K
    Has anyone ridden any of the Whiskey races on a tandem? Would it be allowed?

Quote Originally Posted by ki5ka View Post
    Has anyone ridden any of the Whiskey races on a tandem? Would it be allowed?
    there has been a teem that has done the "fun ride" it's 19 miles and its not a beginner course. We have ridden the 25 but not during the race, never wanted to be a road block, they already have problems with "conga lines" on some of the "harder" sections and some riders get very heated about standing in line during a "race"

that said...its hard but can be done but I'm not sure you would want to ride it on race day
    Darwin was an Optimist

K&K
    Yah, I saw that "conga line" in a video. That was what got me thinking, "we can do this!" but I have had the same concerns about holding things up. I didn't even look at the Fun Ride course. For some reason I thought that was all pavement.

same pavement as the 25 and 50, its billed as 15mi but its more like 19 and the 25 is around 30mi....I would say ride it on a single first (even the Fun ride)
    Darwin was an Optimist