mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Longbikes Tandem, guessing '99

I found a used Longbikes tandem and wanted to get some unbiased opinions. A test ride is likely not an option, so it's probably not the best idea in the first place to consider purchasing it. I have not called the seller yet so I don't have a lot of detail.

The pictures appear to indicate that it was well used and hasn't been meticulously maintained for several years. It has a Manitou X Vert R fork, 7 speed drivetrain, v-brakes and appears to be all original equipment. It's an aluminum frame, and I'm familiar with Longbikes' quality from friends who have a road frame built. The fit would be okay for me as the captain and my stokers will be my children so regardless of what bike I eventually find, I'll have to do some unique modifications to make it fit.

The asking price is $700. What are your thoughts, should I just stay away as old equipment is going to need to be replaced soon, fork will likely need work or entire replacement, wheels may need replaced as well? Has anyone on here owned or ridden one of these? Just looking for thoughts, as I hardly ever see legitimate mountain tandems for sale and usually they start 3 times this cost.
    Our Stable: Yeti ASR-5, Salsa Mukluk , Cleary Meerkat 24", Spec. Hotrock 20"

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Hard to say. Do you have any pictures? I cannot find anything on line. Unless the frame is very rare/special and deserves to preserved, i cannot imagine buying something that old and spending time and $ upgrading/replacing a lot parts to bring it up to current spec.

Also what kind of riding are you expecting to do on it? Will this be your only tandem?

I would personally not feel good buying something without a test ride first. If it's simply not possible, then I would use that as a heavy bargaining tool to get the price down enough to where you can't possibly lose anything by grabbing it.

And also be ready to accept that it may not be able to be made into a "legitimate mountain tandem" as you are comparing to bikes 3x higher. Since bikes from 1999 have different quirks and may not be fully upgradeable the way you would like or perform as well as something newer would.

Good Luck!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Here's a link to the Craigslist ad:

https://greensboro.craigslist.org/bi...538513784.html

Unless someone on here happens to know the seller or the bike really well, I think I'll probably pass. Like you mentioned, it'd be a little foolish to purchase without a test ride.
    Our Stable: Yeti ASR-5, Salsa Mukluk , Cleary Meerkat 24", Spec. Hotrock 20"

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Aside from the color scheme that thing is actually kind of cool. Obviously would have to make a number of changes to get a proper small stoker setup. The big unknown is the front fork. I am not sure the fork would be serviceable so that might be the first thing to get replaced unless it is working well as is.

Which only a test ride could confirm.

If you keep looking you may find a similarly priced Cannondale MT with a better color scheme and requiring fewer changes to have you off and running.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Concur on the C-dale recommendation. Solid hardtails, find 'em pretty easily for ~$1000, some have seen upgrades or recent action, and they can be resold without much loss if the tandem thing doesn't work for everyone.