Ever build wheels on Sun Ringle rims?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Ever build wheels on Sun Ringle rims?

I wondered if anyone ever built up a wheelset on Sun Ringle rims. In phase 1 of our Curtlo build, we used Velocity Dyad rims on Onyx hubs. Phase 1 was getting used to the bike with road wheels.

On an extended outing, we took a pothole straight on and ended with a slight bowed deformity on the rims. We've done the same thing on our road tandem which uses Sun Ringle Rhyno Lite rims and have never had an issue.

Our Onyx hubs are 36 hole only so options are a bit limited but I found a set of these in blue that is close to the hub color so I'm building up on that.

https://sun-ringle.com/product/rhyno...l-3/?cat_id=35

Just curious.
    Help chart the mountains at www.appalachianbiketrails.org

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Our Curtlo tandem was built up using those rims. It is 26"with 2.4"mtb tires so lots of air under the tread, but they have held up well.

turtles make me hot
    I've built wheels with the Ryno Lites. Good rims. Also have a look at the Velocity Cliffhanger. Excellent rim. I use them in 20" on a Dahon folder. I weigh about 265 pounds and haven't made a mark on them in four years.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Trek uses them a lot on their new bikes. I have been disappointed in them and have had the rear warranty replaced twice.

MTB Tandem Nut
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerjw View Post
    I wondered if anyone ever built up a wheelset on Sun Ringle rims. In phase 1 of our Curtlo build, we used Velocity Dyad rims on Onyx hubs. Phase 1 was getting used to the bike with road wheels.

On an extended outing, we took a pothole straight on and ended with a slight bowed deformity on the rims. We've done the same thing on our road tandem which uses Sun Ringle Rhyno Lite rims and have never had an issue.

Our Onyx hubs are 36 hole only so options are a bit limited but I found a set of these in blue that is close to the hub color so I'm building up on that.

Just curious.
    The Velocity (new) cliffhanger is probably a better option; it's as strong or stronger than the RL, and is tubeless-compatible, should you choose to go that direction in the future.
    MTB Tandems Inc.
    678-445-0711
    www.MTBTandems.com

mtbr member
    Thanks, Alex. I'll keep those in mind if these present any issues.
    So far these are stringing up nicely. I need to even out the tension on them and likely tweak the trueing afterwards. But so far so good.

mtbr member
    I completed the build over the weekend. They tensioned up and trued well.

http://www.bakerjw.org/PhotoGallery/...2602255-xl.jpg

I threw some WTB Nanos on them and took the bike out for a quick spin. I should be getting the fork mounted pretty soon.

http://www.bakerjw.org/PhotoGallery/...3640834-xl.jpg

mtbr member
    Those do look nice, well done.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerjw View Post

Just curious.
    I've built up six or seven 26" Sun Rhino Lites with no problems and have been very happy with them. Nice final, even tensions and true.

Have been riding this rim exclusively on our mtn. tandem for 20 years without issue. Mostly rim brake usage, but then upgraded front to disc about six years ago (still with a rim brake rim).

Wheels have remained true, haven't broken a spoke yet or had any other issue with the rims. (R Hubs are a different issue! That's partly why the build number is high. Plus I built a second set for slicks. Edit: I also built a Rhino Lite for my 26" city bike around a King hub. A beauty! Has been bombproof.)

They're built with 36 butted (2.0/1.8) spokes. Alloy nipples on the most recent front wheel. I usually use a combination of spoke prep on the threads and linseed oil on the nipple/rim interface.

Your bike looks great, BTW. Very nice look. Love the saddles. S&S couplers, very well thought out. Any foreign travel planned? I was in Ulm Germany two summers ago and was SO jealous of all of the cyclists ridign along the Danube. Definitely on the bucket list! Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I haven't kept up with the tandem-worthy rim offerings in recent years, bur will certainly reiterate the love for the Rhyno Lite rims. I've had them on a couple mountain tandems, and they never went out of true. I love them so much that I'm building a rear wheel this week for a foul-weather commuter using an Alfine 8 & Rhyno Lite rim. I explicitly chose that rim based on my previous tandem experience.

I'm sure there are other great options. I've just been out of the modern-vintage tandem scene for several years.
    I dig steel-framed bikes of all shapes and sizes.