Jun 2006

woo-hoo! a new Pug! a new Pug!

fat-bike.com

mtbr member
    Hyperlink fail... let me help you with that:

https://fat-bike.com

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ambassador of Chub
    Ha! They sure did a good job of keeping that one under wraps!
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Evidently the embargo is not yet over. Dead link:

https://fat-bike.com/2018/01/surlys-...ation-pugsley/
    Last edited by nowhereyonder; 01-28-2018 at 09:50 AM. Reason: The world's evidently not ready. Long live the Pugsley.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Bloody hell didn't take them long to cut that. Just about to go for a second read through.

nowhereyonder just about covered it - good job.

It's orange. $599 frameset, possibly $1,500 full spec?? Good price point for the frame. Did it mention headset size? Available end of Jan apparently (next week??) or was that Jan 19??

Couldn't quite work out if it did come with offset fork or not?? Is it going to be aftermarket moony fork or offset as aftermarket?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Hang on.

Where did nowhereyonder's details post go?? Surly controlling MTBR as well??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nowhereyonder View Post
    Evidently the embargo is not yet over. Dead link:

https://fat-bike.com/2018/01/surlys-...ation-pugsley/
    I literally just got done reading it, it’s nowhere on the website now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

woo-hoo! a new Pug! a new Pug!

Quote Originally Posted by EssexBoyUK View Post
    Did it mention headset size? Available end of Jan apparently (next week??) or was that Jan 19??

Couldn't quite work out if it did come with offset fork or not?? Is it going to be aftermarket moony fork or offset as aftermarket?
    Headset 1 1/8”

Comes with offset fork standard

Moonlander fork after market

Late January ‘18

$1,849.00 complete US

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Hang on.

Where did nowhereyonder's details post go?? Surly controlling MTBR as well??
    Felt a bit guilty about posting things that evidently aren't ready to be shared. Glad I'm not editor at Fat-bike.com right now, although I have no clue what Surly's wrath is like.

"Damn it, Gomez. No more Maker's Mark for you. Just that plastic bottle sh!t at Frostbike."

mtbr member
    Either way, the new Pug is pretty sweet looking in orange. It almost looks too nice to ride through the trenches though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by nowhereyonder View Post
    Felt a bit guilty about posting things that evidently aren't ready to be shared. Glad I'm not editor at Fat-bike.com right now, although I have no clue what Surly's wrath is like.

"Damn it, Gomez. No more Maker's Mark for you. Just that plastic bottle sh!t at Frostbike."
    Fair enough mate. Very noble of you. Ber the web guy at fatbike is getting a real roasting right now!! Lol

mtbr member
    woo-hoo! a new Pug! a new Pug!-1180177d1517151648-moderator-pls-delete-post-igafbdc_surly_pugsley_028.jpg
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1180177d1517151648-moderator-pls-delete-post-igafbdc_surly_pugsley_028.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	1180218
    At the price point mentioned earlier how is it different from the Wednesday?
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Sounds like its more a touring oriented geo as opposed to the trail geo on the Wed and ICT and uses the more standard hub sizes front and back.
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly ECR

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Anybody catch the seat post tube size?

mtbr member
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    I can't help but think the folks are Surly are bummed about the cat being out of the bag. I can't wait to read what they have to say about it. It looks pretty cool.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

Stone Jack Baller

mtbr member
    Like most things... I don't need one but I want one. I image folks can Krampug it. I'm kinda surprised they didn't make the ECR so that you could swap out the front and rear.

I'm gonna be giving some serious thought to selling my Ogre to fund one of these.

Here's Surly's blog post about it.

https://surlybikes.com/blog/pugsley_...e_on_a_classic
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    Like most things... I don't need one but I want one. I image folks can Krampug it. I'm kinda surprised they didn't make the ECR so that you could swap out the front and rear.

I'm gonna be giving some serious thought to selling my Ogre to fund one of these.

Here's Surly's blog post about it.

https://surlybikes.com/blog/pugsley_...e_on_a_classic
    I hear you, but I bought two bikes last year, so there’s no way I can justify to the wife on buying one this year. I guess I’ll just sit back enjoy everyone else talking about them.

mtbr member
    I don't have any use for a Pugs, but it's good to see it kept alive and getting some love from Surly.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mehlertmj View Post
    I hear you, but I bought two bikes last year, so there’s no way I can justify to the wife on buying one this year. I guess I’ll just sit back enjoy everyone else talking about them.

In the same boat here also. Fleet refresh and 3 bikes in the last two years but still got an itch to scratch. Was initially excited about the new Pug but quite interested in offerings from Crust and Tumbleweed also. Seemingly similar versatility, can just about squeeze 4 inches but with symmetrical dropouts, 135 spacing (cheap and plentiful wheel options!), ability to swap front and rear wheels and a 73mm BB. Decisions, decisions..........

mtbr member
    excuse my ignorance here...
    with this 135/142 rear end, does a regular 29 mtb wheel work here, or does it also have to be offset to line up in the middle?

mtbr member
    I image folks can Krampug it. I'm kinda surprised they didn't make the ECR so that you could swap out the front and rear.
    Exactly why I raised the question via a new thread - which is the best 29+ option nowadays! You're right, it's intriguing to me how many different 29+ options Surly has now.
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly ECR

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    excuse my ignorance here...
    with this 135/142 rear end, does a regular 29 mtb wheel work here, or does it also have to be offset to line up in the middle?
    Offset.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    has anyone found anything out on price?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJfromtheSwitch View Post
    has anyone found anything out on price?
    $1,849.00 complete US

$599.00 frameset US

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    cool thanks mate

Quote Originally Posted by racefit View Post
    $1,849.00 complete US

$599.00 frameset US

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    OK we have a new Pug. What about a rim refresh? I quite liked Marges on my previous Pug but according to UK distributor have been discontinued??

CS2
    mtbr member
    As far as 29+ went on the old version, it wasn't optimal. The wheel had to have too much offset to be strong. That extra 7.5 mm should help in that respect. Only will tell. I really glad they didn't dump the name. It's iconic in the Fat bike world.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Definitely looks good, although not looking for a fatty. Was looking to upgrade my '08 Monkey though to the new one, but several things made me opt for something else - first the fact that they "pulled" the rhymes with orange colour, second, hard to buy Surly online and third, they kept those awful drop outs that require you to loosen the brake to remove the rear wheel every time. If they'd put these drop outs on the new Monkey, that would have probably swayed me to purchase, such a much more elegant and thoughtful design.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    they kept those awful drop outs that require you to loosen the brake to remove the rear wheel every time.
    No they didn't--"The rear dropout has seen an ECR-style revamp; it’s Rohloff-friendly and can now accept thru axle hubs (142mmx12mm). Wheel removal is a bit of a battle with 135mm hubs (which require Surly’s 10/12 Adapter Washers), one that involves lowering tire pressure to wiggle the wheel in and out."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    As far as 29+ went on the old version, it wasn't optimal. The wheel had to have too much offset to be strong. That extra 7.5 mm should help in that respect. Only will tell. I really glad they didn't dump the name. It's iconic in the Fat bike world.
    The offset is the same for this Pugs as the previous version--17.5. Plenty of people were running Krampugs without issue. This was discussed ad nauseam over in the Krampug thread a few years ago.

I had inquired about running 29+ because I wasn't sure if the wheel would clear the offset fork. But after checking, the fork looks to be the same as the previous offset fork. I also checked with Surly and they said it should work although hadn't yet laced up a set of wheels.

mtbr member
    Please check your reading comprehension
    No they didn't--"The rear dropout has seen an ECR-style revamp; it’s Rohloff-friendly and can now accept thru axle hubs (142mmx12mm). Wheel removal is a bit of a battle with 135mm hubs (which require Surly’s 10/12 Adapter Washers), one that involves lowering tire pressure to wiggle the wheel in and out."
    Definitely looks good, although not looking for a fatty. Was looking to upgrade my '08 Monkey though to the new one, but several things made me opt for something else - first the fact that they "pulled" the rhymes with orange colour, second, hard to buy Surly online and third, they kept those awful drop outs that require you to loosen the brake to remove the rear wheel every time. If they'd put these drop outs on the new Monkey, that would have probably swayed me to purchase, such a much more elegant and thoughtful design.
    2017, i.e. new Karate Monkey frameset with a slightly different brake mount, but basically the same thing, don't see how if you have the wheel 1/2 way or further forward in the sliders how you can remove it without loosening the mounts for the IS adapter, but please feel free to enlighten me on this or better yet, showe a video of it being done and I'll eat my words.

woo-hoo! a new Pug! a new Pug!-new-monkey-rear-end.jpg

woo-hoo! a new Pug! a new Pug!-karate-monkey-27-5-frameset-p17157-72114_image.jpg

mtbr member
    Please check your reading comprehension

2017, i.e. new Karate Monkey frameset with a slightly different brake mount, but basically the same thing, don't see how if you have the wheel 1/2 way or further forward in the sliders how you can remove it without loosening the mounts for the IS adapter, but please feel free to enlighten me on this or better yet, showe a video of it being done and I'll eat my words.

Name:	New Monkey rear end.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	1180491

Name:	karate-monkey-27-5-frameset-p17157-72114_image.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	1180492
    https://youtu.be/x2S4M4brT9c

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Look closer. This style dropout (introduced on the Wednesday) allows the hub to drop straight down after pulling the thru axle. If you're running QR, it'll be tricky, but with the Thru Axle, it works slick. No brake adjustment necessary.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Please check your reading comprehension.
    Yes, didn't catch you were specifically referencing the KM. I have an Ogre with Gnot Boost drop-outs and 135mm QR hubs. You don't have to loosen the brake to remove the wheel.

mtbr member
    Yeah, no worries. Sometimes I get a bit of angst not related to current stuff that crosses over, should have been more clear even with that I mean for a OLD QR setup, with a TA setup, well, then yes, no trouble.

Yes, didn't catch you were specifically referencing the KM. I have an Ogre with Gnot Boost drop-outs and 135mm QR hubs. You don't have to loosen the brake to remove the wheel.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAG1410
    Look closer. This style dropout (introduced on the Wednesday) allows the hub to drop straight down after pulling the thru axle. If you're running QR, it'll be tricky, but with the Thru Axle, it works slick. No brake adjustment necessary.

mtbr member
    Yeah, no worries. Sometimes I get a bit of angst not related to current stuff that crosses over, should have been more clear even with that I mean for a OLD QR setup, with a TA setup, well, then yes, no trouble.
    I will add that removing the wheel still isn't super easy like with a regular drop-out. I imagine if I end up keeping the Ogre and building a 27+ wheelset, I'll go with a rear hub that takes better advantage of the Gnot-Boost drop-out.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    OK we have a new Pug. What about a rim refresh? I quite liked Marges on my previous Pug but according to UK distributor have been discontinued??
    I am also hoping for a revamp of the Marge lite's (tubeless). I am surprised they didn't say anything about 27.5" wheels either, as they fit the old Pugs, and I'm sure this new one. I am also hoping for the Marge Lite in 27.5 version as well.

mtbr member
    According to Universal, the completes are in stock.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=94062

It's a very appealing bike but doubt one will find it's way into my quiver this year. Looking forward to seeing what people do with these and where they go.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Now that this is clearly in the touring line-up we can stop with the Krampug and move to PugslECR for a 29+ version of the Pugs. Putting 29+ won't make it Krampus like but will make it an offset ECR. Just saying.

If I needed a fattie I'd buy this one because I'm boring and I like my ECR a lot.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Matterhorn View Post
    Now that this is clearly in the touring line-up we can stop with the Krampug and move to PugslECR for a 29+ version of the Pugs. Putting 29+ won't make it Krampus like but will make it an offset ECR. Just saying.

If I needed a fattie I'd buy this one because I'm boring and I like my ECR a lot.
    ECP? Expedition Camping Pugsley

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 2:01 View Post
    I am also hoping for a revamp of the Marge lite's (tubeless). I am surprised they didn't say anything about 27.5" wheels either, as they fit the old Pugs, and I'm sure this new one. I am also hoping for the Marge Lite in 27.5 version as well.
    Yes, Marge Lite in 27.5. Is there not a hole in the market for this? And a steel frame with 85mm bb, 170 rear and non-suspension corrected fork with a correctly proportioned head tube and a stack height that doesn't require a tower of spacers. Too much? Maybe just 27.5 Marge Lites for the Pugsley.

mtbr member
    Looks like some tried and true adventure types have also rediscovered the pug as a versatile dependable rig.

Big Wheel Building: O.P.P.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matterhorn View Post
    Now that this is clearly in the touring line-up we can stop with the Krampug and move to PugslECR for a 29+ version of the Pugs.
    No. Krampug rolls off the tongue better and both the Krampus and the Pugs were the first of their kind in the Surly line up. The Krampug lives on!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    The offset is the same for this Pugs as the previous version--17.5. Plenty of people were running Krampugs without issue. This was discussed ad nauseam over in the Krampug thread a few years ago.
    As long as you use an offset rim like the Rabbit Hole the 29+ wheels build up fine for the Krampug. If you want to use a rim with centre drilled spoke holes the resulting wheel in the Pugs offset frame has some less than ideal spoke tension.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    No. Krampug rolls off the tongue better and both the Krampus and the Pugs were the first of their kind in the Surly line up. The Krampug lives on!
    I’d settled for IceKram Truck. All that hard work from Surly to differentiate their lineup deserves recognition.

Liem—I like your ideas. B Fat pugs, taller headtube, etc...not asking too much at all.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by liem View Post
    Yes, Marge Lite in 27.5. Is there not a hole in the market for this? And a steel frame with 85mm bb, 170 rear and non-suspension corrected fork with a correctly proportioned head tube and a stack height that doesn't require a tower of spacers. Too much? Maybe just 27.5 Marge Lites for the Pugsley.
    The only 27.5 that will work with the Pug is Lightbicycle carbon rims. Not a bad option to have. But would rather have a ML aluminum, personally.

83mm BB, well, I do have the same q factor on my Pugsley as most 83mm cranks. (~183mm)

http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/pug...r-1061759.html

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    What a rip off. Surly quoting $599 for the frameset in the US. Usually similar numbers in GBP in the UK (even that sucks).

UK distributor has frame sets listed for £800!!!!!!!

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by 2:01 View Post
    The only 27.5 that will work with the Pug is Lightbicycle carbon rims. Not a bad option to have. But would rather have a ML aluminum, personally.

How so?

Jackalopes work in 27.5, with good tension balance too.

If skinnier is your thing, both 27.5 and 29" versions of the WTB i35 Asym work great.