Who'd like to see an Article on Surly?? Vote Yes or No.- Mtbr.com

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in an article on Surly??

Voters
27. This poll is closed
  • Yes, I'd love to know as much of the Surly story as possible!!

22 81.48%
  • No, I'd just rather go and ride. There's info on their Blog.

1 3.70%
  • Meh, it might be ok, if you cover what the Blog doesn't.

4 14.81%
    Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

New question here. Who'd like to see an Article on Surly?? Vote Yes or No.

Kind of revisit the history of it, try to get in touch with Wakeman Massie, and the current crew. If nothing more, should make for a fun read. Let me know what you all think of this idea.
    (You can put in a reply after voting.)
    Obi..

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Idea! So, I emailed the Surly Crew...

..and here's the story so far:

It all began in Minneapolis, Minnesota way back in the day. Roughly 1997. A bunch of bikers, mostly centered in and around Quality Bicycle Products, were riding single speeds. Or at least trying. See, back then, the availability of single speed specific componentry wasn’t what it is today. So they found a way to make their own stuff. First came the Singleator, appearing in the QBP catalog in 1998. The Singleator was (and is) designed to take up chain slack on frames with vertical dropouts and derailleur hangers. It worked good and sold well, so the next project was a single speed specific frame. The next year, the 1X1 Rat Ride was born. That worked good and sold well also, so the people thought “hey, we may be on to something here.” Soon after, the Surly name was born and the Rat Ride became the Surly 1X1. Keeping in mind that, like themselves, the people buying and riding this stuff were poor and lowly bike industry folks, Surly set off with 3 goals: Make stuff that’s fun to ride. Design it well. And keep it affordable. With these precepts in mind, the people of Surly designed and introduced the Crosscheck, had t-shirts made, and kept thinking of more stuff people might want, things like single speed hubs, more frames, cogs and chainrings, wool riding clothes, frame building supplies and more. And the ideas just keep coming, like the Large Marge rim, a whopping 65mm wide.

The first official employee of Surly was Wakeman Massie, a bike freak with an intimate knowledge of Bendix 2 speed kickback hubs and tequila. Product designer and uber-rider Dave Gray and the overwhelmingly charismatic Hurl Everstone were brought on soon after. Under their watch, Surly cranked out a lot of the products that have become the most popular and well-recognized Surly products, like the Crosscheck complete bike and the Steamroller frameset. A couple years later, Hurl and Wakeman left to pursue other interests and Dave found himself in charge. He brought in longtime bike geeks Nick Sande and Andy Corson(who wrote this onformation down for us all to enjoy). These three continue to spearhead the circus that is Surly Bikes. Nowadays, bike shop employees, though still important to us, are no longer our only customers. Now people who ride Surlies include people of all shapes and sizes, all ages, all income levels, all political affiliations, brought together by a love of bicycles and an appreciation for bike stuff that rides great, lasts a long time, and doesn’t cost a lot. People like you. People like us.

Andy Corson

Ok, so wow, that pretty much covers it all in one medium sized article, that I didn't even need to write, how cool is that!!

SO, I'm putting together some questions now, and want anyone who's interested to post more questions in here, so we can maybe squeeze some more outta them.

Obi..

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Why did Surly decide to sell a touring frame? How did Surly go about designing the Long Haul Trucker?

My LHT is the most awesome bike on the face of the planet, BTW.

"Mr. Britannica"
    how about specific dates, at least a timeline of what frames/parts/stuff came out when
    as it is, there ain't a whole lot of info there
    ...and you could even talk about the various Surly copycats out there

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Are the guys at Surly happy to continue being, what is essentially a niche market or would they like to sell out and become part of a big corporation, like say Bontrager.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

they already are.

Quote Originally Posted by MoodyOldGit
    Are the guys at Surly happy to continue being, what is essentially a niche market or would they like to sell out and become part of a big corporation, like say Bontrager.

not trying to be argumentative, but surly's always been part of one of the biggest corporations in the business, as the post notes. not that that's a bad thing, they wouldn't likely have had the inroads into shops and thus the sales they do had they not been available through the LBS's QBC order. w/o the sales they likely wouldnt have expanded their line and Id still be riding a SS conversion thinking about buying a rat ride and wishing I had something with 700c wheels like I was in '99. and it's not that Im bagging on surly in any way, I've got a cc and Im in the middle of building up an LHT today so I like their frames, but they're not really as "indy" as their marketing would seem to imply.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    True, but at least they are up front with where they stand. Not many companies are prepared to admit to being manufactured overseas, Salsa do, as do On-One. I prefer that to marketing hype. Not that Surly dont market themselves very well.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Good job! Here's another bit from their Blog...

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

I started working for Surly, as a product designer, 6 years ago. 4 years ago, Wakeman moved back to Denver and I moved into the GM position he'd held. That worked out fine. Surly was still pretty small, and I had time to manage the brand and design bike stuff. But we’ve grown a bit since then, and I can’t do both. So I made the decision, in February, to go back to what I really want to do…design and develop Surly product. I went to college, many years ago, so I could learn how to use the tools and techniques of product creation. My professional goals have always been set on finding a career that blends art with mechanics. Purchasing, accounting, personnel management and all of the business dookie that goes along with being a GM of present-day Surly doesn’t fit into that plan.

The new Surly GM is Jolly Green Peter Redin…also known, by his adoring fans, as Snacky P. Peter has been our international sales guy for many years, so he knows the product and he knows our market. He loves spreadsheets, long walks on the beach, endless meetings, vanilla-scented candles, bar graphs, fizzy raspberry bubble baths, product status reports, Fabreze, half-caf soy almond lattes with a sprinkle of nutmeg and brown sugar, white wine spritzers, and all things Yanni. With this going for him, we think Peter has what it takes to steer the Surly shortbus to world domination. Congratulations, Snacky.

What does this mean to you? Well, now that there are 5 Surlys instead of 4, you should get better customer service all around. Look forward to better fill rate, more product selection, and new glossy packaging featuring unicorn holograms.

posted by Brother David Sunshine @ Wednesday, May 03, 2006
    (ed note: aka-Dave Gray)

I like that they continually use a blog for it's intended purpose, to give us all a glimpse of their lives, and work.

I'm still taking posts on suggested questions and hope to have a batch down to submit to the crew soon, so, post away!!

Obi..

Members who have read this thread: 0