What are the smallest tires you've run on your ECR?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2018

What are the smallest tires you've run on your ECR?

Surly claims 2.5" tires are the smallest they can recommend for the ECR. Has anyone gone that small or smaller? I'm planning a Deadhorse to Ushuaia tour, hitting the GDMBR and Baja Divide on the way down. I want to run as small as I can for the majority of the tour, and switch back to my 29x3 knards for Baja. Otherwise I'm going to sell the ECR and get an Ogre or Troll. After the pan American I'll hopefully head right to a France-China tour, so I'm leaning towards selling the ECR in order to get something that can cover the 2.1-2.6ish range instead of the 2.5-3 that the ECR is setup for.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Bottom Bracket drop 2mm more than the disc trucker. . . no reason why the ECR can't have a smallish tire put on it other than that off road situations would be difficult due to pedal strike issues. The max tire clearance for the 700c Disc Trucker is 700c: 29 x 2.0".

I would say try it.
    My guess is Surly has legal requirements in what they are saying for an off road rated bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by baffledsloth View Post
    Surly claims 2.5" tires are the smallest they can recommend for the ECR. Has anyone gone that small or smaller? I'm planning a Deadhorse to Ushuaia tour, hitting the GDMBR and Baja Divide on the way down. I want to run as small as I can for the majority of the tour, and switch back to my 29x3 knards for Baja. Otherwise I'm going to sell the ECR and get an Ogre or Troll. After the pan American I'll hopefully head right to a France-China tour, so I'm leaning towards selling the ECR in order to get something that can cover the 2.1-2.6ish range instead of the 2.5-3 that the ECR is setup for.
    I've run Surly's Extra Terrestrials on my 29+ ECR when the main duty of the bike at that time was bike path bruiser. The ECR did just fine. It was also used at local natural areas at that time and never had a problem with a lowered bottom bracket.

It threw off the feel of the bike; when I say that, I mean the bike feels amazing rolling with 3" tires. The 2.5s just felt small. With Knards back on it, it feels like it's usual invincible off road monster, regardless of the bike paths....

I'm not sure what kind of terrain you'll be riding over the France to China course of your tour, but I will say that in 2018 when I took my fat bike to Central Asia I wished on numerous occasions that I had those Extra Terrestrials whenever I was rolling over double track or pavement.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I gave up on the ECR idea. Ordered a new Ogre frameset, getting rohloff/son dynamo wheels, running 29x2.0 marathon mondials at first and going to switch to 29x2.6 for the Baja divide. For long distance touring I just don't need plus size tires. So now I've got an ECR to sell.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by baffledsloth View Post
    I gave up on the ECR idea. Ordered a new Ogre frameset, getting rohloff/son dynamo wheels, running 29x2.0 marathon mondials at first and going to switch to 29x2.6 for the Baja divide. For long distance touring I just don't need plus size tires. So now I've got an ECR to sell.
    What size and color?

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by tarzan13 View Post
    What size and color?
    Large, yellowish. It's a 2018.