Today is WEDNESDAY! - Page 25- Mtbr.com
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425
Results 2,401 to 2,410 of 2410
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Hi

do i need Monkey Nuts V2.0 if im going tu use 4.4 jumbo jim or any 4.4 or 4.5" tyre

rim is DT BR710

mtbr member
    Dang- just wrote the most beautiful and poised response to your question (that's only partially accurate) and my vintage iPad chewed it up and put it who knows where?

Short answer-
    No. You don't need it. But you might want them.
    But *(I think?) you need V3 for a thru axle.

The Monkey Nut will keep the wheel from moving forward. Especially helpful when you are installing the wheel after a flat or tire change or whatever. Super helpful to put the tire right back in it's same place.
    But- the MN won't do anything to keep the axle from drifting backwards under hard braking. Maybe you have the legs to actually move it forward- but in my experience these issues only present during hard braking. Which, if you're using the fat ole tires on snow or sand? You won't have the traction to cause any issues. Land a hard jump on the brakes in the summer?Maybe then it'll be an issue.

So the answer is no- you don't need them. But you might want them unless you are always running the R axle all the way forward.

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    so when i will use 1xX drivetrain there will be enough clearance even with 4.8 tyre without any monkey nut (axle max forward)?

ive boght only frameset and now im starting to complete all the rest :-)

(it will be my first bike with horizontal dropout and first surly BTW ... so im sleepwalker)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by totem. View Post
    so when i will use 1xX drivetrain there will be enough clearance even with 4.8 tyre without any monkey nut (axle max forward)?

ive boght only frameset and now im starting to complete all the rest :-)

(it will be my first bike with horizontal dropout and first surly BTW ... so im sleepwalker)
    Iím not 100% sure but I believe youíd have to run the axle back for that size tire and likely run single speed or maybe 6-7sp cassette. I have Ednaís on mine with the axle forward and there isn't room for more tire with safe clearance. Edna is an awesome tire, too.

mtbr member
    Yep.
    Youíll have to pull the wheel back with a wider tire.
    My Jumbo Jimís in a 4 worked fully forward w/ a 2x.
    Everything else needs a gap. The wide tire you mentioned? Absolutely.

It would work without MNs. But will be much easier with them.

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by totem. View Post
    Does anyone know if a 4.8 will fit in the Wednesday? Surly says 4.6 is the biggest that will fit with adequate clearance when the axle is at the back of the dropout. Does a Lou fit in a Wednesday? Chain clearance issue aside, does the Lou fit in the frame? If it does, that would peak my SS interest.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Not sure if itís a misprint, but on the surly site under frame specs it says clearance for 4.8Ē pulled back. Even though the description says 4.6Ē, that could just be with gears.

mtbr member
    Thanks RFfahm, I'll have a look at the specs just to confirm.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    I'm running Lou/Bud on my 2x Wednesday. Haven't had more than oh... 15 mile on them yet but it works.
    Perfect? No. in the little ring and large cog, there's slight rub of chain/tire.
    I keep thinking I'll remove a cog and space the cassette out a bit but haven't yet bothered. As it is, I use the cog that's one down from the granny and it's fine.

If you are running a 1x, maybe put the F ring as far to the outside as you can to avoid this.

Chain stay clearance? Fine.

https://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/lo...y-1095994.html

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I have 4.5" Juggernaughts, (?) with my Rohloff hub axle in the rear hole of the Surly Tuggnutt, and the clearance is as close as I would want it, about 1/4" each side.

Since this is a ebike build, I used Tuggnutts on each side, plus some 1/16" aircraft cable and aircraft turnbuckles that hook into the Tuggnutts and the weldments by the seatpost to totally lock that axle in place, it can't move forward or backwards, period. And yes, I do have a Rohloff chain tensioner. Rohloff makes a big deal about using their hub in a bike with slotted drop outs, as in, NOT wanting you to, they prefer you use a bike with Rohloff specific dropouts. But the way I have it captured it's not going anywhere. Taking the rear wheel off takes a couple minutes longer, if that, I can live with that. Plus I still can open a bottle of beer on the right side Tuggnutt, as Surly intended.

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425