Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223
Results 2,201 to 2,263 of 2263
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Chicken Bones View Post
    Bray-
    Welcome to the fold. Great sunset shot.
    Now send some shots of it all haggard and covered in dirt after a day of fun. Or snow.
    Do anything special w/ the build?
    Some over priced but wonderful little bit we should know about?

-JCBs
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman29 View Post
    Bray,

I added to your reputation points. Anybody who builds up their Surly Wednesday as a single speed deserves some reputation points.
    Thanks guys. My regular ride is a 140mm carbon full squish, so I thought I'd change things up a bit with this one.

Nothing too noteworthy with the build, just a simple, robust adventure bike. Full rigid 32x22 single speed, 4.3 Ednas, KS dropper post, Rogue Panda roll top in the front triangle. I tossed a Robert Axle Project rear axle in it to accommodate some future kayak trailer pulling ambitions.

The pic was from the sunrise en-route to work yesterday. 32x22 is ridiculously slow on the road, but I was itching to ride it so I enjoyed the 13 mile slow roll to/from work. It should be a good trail / towing gear though. We'll see once I get it on some Midwest singletrack.

mtbr member
    Can I get some shots of the Robert Axle? Did you use them on the F also?

-JCBs
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by alpnst7 View Post
    ...Then there is the idea that maybe the sunrace 12 speed cassette might be the answer?

What do y'all say?
    I JUST swapped my original drivetrain out for a GX Eagle 30T crankset (165mm) with Sunrace 11-50 chainring. I love it. I have my Nates on now. 45Nrth Flow and Dunder will go on for winter. I did not weigh or even think about the weight. I did not want to have to upgrade the rear hub. The upgrade came when I decided I needed to run shorter cranks. I love it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Can I get some shots of the Robert Axle? Did you use them on the F also?

-JCBs
    There's nothing too special with the Robert Axle, it just has a standoff on one side with an M10 stud for securing a hitch. One thing to note is that it uses the OEM Surly hardware on the drive side, so if you're doing a frame up build you'll need to source that separate.

I can't say I did a super thorough inspection, but it appears to be well made. On par with the Surly axle I'd say.

I didn't opt for anything special up front. I'm only running this in the rear for trailer pulling purposes. This is the one I got:

https://robertaxleproject.com/shop/1...r-kid-trailer/

Also, I picked up an 18t cog for commuting. Much better than the 22 and I'm able to use the same chain. Horizontal dropouts FTW.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply. I think you have just tipped the scales... I'll save some flow for some new rubber. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by homebrewtim View Post
    I JUST swapped my original drivetrain out for a GX Eagle 30T crankset (165mm) with Sunrace 11-50 chainring. I love it. I have my Nates on now. 45Nrth Flow and Dunder will go on for winter. I did not weigh or even think about the weight. I did not want to have to upgrade the rear hub. The upgrade came when I decided I needed to run shorter cranks. I love it.

Thanks for the reply. I think you have just tipped the scales... I'll save some flow for some new rubber. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    One wheel set to rule them all. Which size? Is it 27.5?

mtbr member
    May 2017
    They're not on a Wednesday but I'm quite enjoying 29x3.0 up front with a 27.5x3.0 at the back. Front wheel rolls over anything and the smaller rear keeps the back tight and weight down. Not as nimble as 27.5 all around but still good fun.

Then I get back on proper fat tyres and everything else seems pointless.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Still pondering wheel sizes. Can someone please tell me how much the bb is raised with 29+? I have an XL which is slightly too large so haven't got much room up top. Also if I fitted 3" tyres on a 26" rim would the drop be unacceptable? Cheers. Chris

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Essex,

Here is Surly tire diameters:

https://surlybikes.com/uploads/downl...re_Geo_VF_.pdf

So, if you have a Nate 26x3 (745mm) and you go to a Knard 29x3 (775mm); then there is a difference of 30mm in diameter. Therefore the radius difference is 15mm, and that would be your bottom bracket height difference. 15mm is about .59 inches.

That could be a little different also if you run the fat tires off road with low pressure and the plus tires on road with high pressure.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Essex,

So, if you have a Nate 26x3 (745mm) and you go to a Knard 29x3 (775mm); then there is a difference of 30mm in diameter. Therefore the radius difference is 15mm, and that would be your bottom bracket height difference. 15mm is about .59 inches.

That could be a little different also if you run the fat tires off road with low pressure and the plus tires on road with high pressure.
    Nice one Sandman. Just what I was after. Cheers.
    Chris

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Essex,

Actually that's pretty good chart to give a pretty good indication of tyre and rim width combos. Cheers

mtbr member
    I can't imagine that lacing up a 26" plus wheel would make the bike useable.
    I strike my pedals now and then as is w/ 29+. A few months ago someone pointed out that really, there's a very small difference between 26 fat and 27.5 plus.
    So if the frame feels big now, I think 29+ will seem really tall.

That said, there is some variation between plus tires. I just got ride of a worn out Chubacabra for a WTB Ranger (in 29x3.0). The Ranger is less tire. I can move the R wheel forward in the frame a bit.

So maybe go w/ 27.5 Rangers in 3.0? See how that does? Or jump ship now and get onto a large frame.

Anything lower than that would likely drive me nuts w/ pedal strikes.
    -JCBs
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Sure thing! I honestly feel like the bike rides a lot better on the Eagle/Sunrace drivetrain. But it could be just me telling myself that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I can't imagine that lacing up a 26" plus wheel would make the bike useable.
    I strike my pedals now and then as is w/ 29+. A few months ago someone pointed out that really, there's a very small difference between 26 fat and 27.5 plus.
    So if the frame feels big now, I think 29+ will seem really tall.

That said, there is some variation between plus tires. I just got ride of a worn out Chubacabra for a WTB Ranger (in 29x3.0). The Ranger is less tire. I can move the R wheel forward in the frame a bit.

So maybe go w/ 27.5 Rangers in 3.0? See how that does? Or jump ship now and get onto a large frame.

Anything lower than that would likely drive me nuts w/ pedal strikes.
    -JCBs
    Thanks for the input JCB. XL is workable on 26x4 and 27.5 so think I'll stick to that. The 26+ thing I was just thinking of swapping between 3" and 4" depending on what type of riding I was doing. 26+ for more faster gravelly roady type stuff. Currently trying to source a set of Marge Lites in Europe to use which is pretty impossible.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hey whose running Mastadons or Blutos on their Wednesday? Any tire clearance issues with either? What about fork length on the Mastadon EXT 100mm? I know I've asked before but, I'm thinking seriously about a fork for next Spring (or right now!).

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    New decals....Retrodecals is great! Just waiting to attach new headbadge...

Name:  IMG_2167.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  50.5 KB

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by homebrewtim View Post
    New decals....Retrodecals is great!
    He hooked me up with some decals for my Wednesday too. Highly recommend.

I got some trail time in today. I suppose it’s only appropriate considering the day of the week. This rig continues to impress me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Is that a Garmin mounted to your top tube? Did you just use a quarter-turn bond and bands or another mount? I like the idea of mounting it low on the top-tube.

mtbr member
    Not sure if you are asking me but yes, I do have a Garmin mount on the top tube, just south of the headtube.
    I used small zip ties. It's not perfect, that spot tends to get pushed on by my knee when stopping or carrying. Sometimes I realize the pause has been hit.
    I've also put it on the side of the top of the fork. Also has some merit, but isn't perfect. Hard to read but I like that it doesn't take my attention.
    So far, there's no perfect place yet.
    -JCBs
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    My Garmin is mounted on the top tube with the 1/4 turn mount and bands that came with the unit. It works well, though it's prone to occasional contact as JCB pointed out. It's not too bad though. No immediate plans to change it.

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-mount-.../dp/B002NU6J1Y

I have a K Edge gravity cap on my FS trail bike. I'm happy with that as well.

https://www.amazon.com/K-Edge-Gravit.../dp/B00MIJQXLG

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Name:  IMG_2189.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  53.1 KB

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I browsed the whole thread and only saw one pic of a rear rack. I'm strongly considering something minimal for added capacity. Something I can strap my lunchbox to during my work commute, or lash a bundle of firewood to for fatpacking to comfy camp.

Is anyone else rocking rear racks on their Wednesdays?

mtbr member
    Axiom makes a cheap adjustable fat bike rear rack.
    I think it’s adjistable for width.
    Not sure if I’d wander the Yokohama with it but am certain it’ll do for a lunch box!

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Bray,

A couple companies make quick release front baskets, that pretty much just hang on your handle bars. They will hold you lunch, change of clothes, etc..

By the way, where in Illinois do you ride. I have a Wednesday in Illinois as well. When I go up there I ride Palos. I live in Florida, so I am only in IL about twice a year during the summer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Bray D View Post
    I browsed the whole thread and only saw one pic of a rear rack. I'm strongly considering something minimal for added capacity. Something I can strap my lunchbox to during my work commute, or lash a bundle of firewood to for fatpacking to comfy camp.

Is anyone else rocking rear racks on their Wednesdays?
    I have one on my ICT made by Old Man Mountain , and I’m 99% sure they also make one that will fit a Wednesday. And mine works great for bags , growlers and firewood 👍

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Axiom makes a cheap adjustable fat bike rear rack.
    I think it’s adjistable for width.
    Not sure if I’d wander the Yokohama with it but am certain it’ll do for a lunch box!

-JCB
    It looks like Blackburn offers an adjustable rack as well. The versatility of something like that piques my interest, but in the same breath I could see how an adjustable rack may be more prone to issues with fasteners loosening and such. Likely heavier as well (if that mattered). I'll check out the Axiom for sure though.

Bray,

A couple companies make quick release front baskets, that pretty much just hang on your handle bars. They will hold you lunch, change of clothes, etc..

By the way, where in Illinois do you ride. I have a Wednesday in Illinois as well. When I go up there I ride Palos. I live in Florida, so I am only in IL about twice a year during the summer.
    I'm trying to keep most of the weight off of the front, more specifically my bars. I'm sure I'll end up with some form of bar rack at some point, but I think I want to continue to pursue rear rack / storage options right now.

I'm in the Peoria area, approximately 3 hours south of Chicago. We're blessed with an excellent trail system that is maintained by our local club PAMBA. Their Facebook page is far more active, but they still maintain a more formal domain. Check them out if you're curious about the trails in the area.

Peoria Area Mountain Bike Association | Home of the best off road cycling trails in Illinois

Quote Originally Posted by AK Prototype View Post
    I have one on my ICT made by Old Man Mountain , and I’m 99% sure they also make one that will fit a Wednesday. And mine works great for bags , growlers and firewood 
    I came across OMM after posting. It's exactly what I want, but they're pricey too. We'll see if I come across anything else that suits my fancy. If not, I'll likely bite the bullet and order one.

mtbr member
    My wife and I have toured plenty of odd places using OMM.
    They have been my first choice for years though I dont use one on the Wednesday. (I like the 8 pack rack I am using)

The current conundrum is finding racks that will pack up small for airline travel!
    The Surly TravCheck was on sale. Now I’m wondering how to kit them out.

But that’s another thread!
    - JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    There's lots of reason to pedal the WhiteRim but, for me, campsite choice is key.
    Lately for me it's all about White Crack. At about the halfway point.
    I did it last year mid-December. Used a zero degree bag, under a tarp.
    Perfect. Good skies. Good temps during the day.
    Very few people. A good time to be there.

I'd be up for anytime from oh... maybe mid November to mid December.

What would we call a group of Wednesdays?
    Maybe a Bloat? A bloat of Wednesdays?

-JCB
    I know this is late but did anything ever come of this? I'm finding myself towards the end of the year with a few extra vacation days....

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    My wife and I have toured plenty of odd places using OMM.
    They have been my first choice for years though I dont use one on the Wednesday.

- JCB
    I have an email out to OMM to see what they would recommend. I've already started to lose my footing on this slippery slope.

mtbr member
    Too many options for racks eh? I feel the same way about many things.
    When I was a kid there was Tabasco. As in "Hey, pass the Tabasco."
    Now there are 11 versions.

Anyway- Yes. I'd be up for a day or two on the WhiteRim if we could rally some folk.
    RTL, check your inbox.

-JCBs
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Much of my life is spent in a state of analysis paralysis. It can be detrimental at times indeed.

I never heard back from OMM, so I pulled the trigger on a less expensive rack. I'll post up pics once I get it mounted and we'll see how I like it. I figured this would be my entry into the rack world. If I like it, great. If I find there are shortcomings, I'll be schooled up on what features I want/need so I can purchase the appropriate rack without much fretting.

The TransIt TD-1 is on its way. This is a rather poor pic of one installed on a Pugsley. Apparently it bolted right up. I don't like how high it sets, so I'll modify as necessary to position it where I want.

mtbr member
    Yes- Looks like you could lower it via those odd extenstions near the drop out.

Most racks are fine most the time.
    Now and then (like when it's overloaded) you can really see what makes the difference between expensive or cheap racks.

Light loads? Day stuff w/ a lunch? They all work fine (mostly).

-JCBs
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Most definitely. I look to take this one to near capacity, so we'll see how it handles the load. Much to learn.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Bray D View Post
    It looks like Blackburn offers an adjustable rack as well. The versatility of something like that piques my interest, but in the same breath I could see how an adjustable rack may be more prone to issues with fasteners loosening and such. Likely heavier as well (if that mattered). I'll check out the Axiom for sure though.

I'm trying to keep most of the weight off of the front, more specifically my bars. I'm sure I'll end up with some form of bar rack at some point, but I think I want to continue to pursue rear rack / storage options right now.

I'm in the Peoria area, approximately 3 hours south of Chicago. We're blessed with an excellent trail system that is maintained by our local club PAMBA. Their Facebook page is far more active, but they still maintain a more formal domain. Check them out if you're curious about the trails in the area.

Peoria Area Mountain Bike Association | Home of the best off road cycling trails in Illinois

I came across OMM after posting. It's exactly what I want, but they're pricey too. We'll see if I come across anything else that suits my fancy. If not, I'll likely bite the bullet and order one.

Love PAMBA! WPP, Farmdale and Indy are great riding... Ideal Krampus terrain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenngineer View Post
    Love PAMBA! WPP, Farmdale and Indy are great riding... Ideal Krampus terrain.
    Nice! I don't want to derail the thread, but Indy is my jam. The photo I posted above is from Indy. It makes you earn it on the single speed rigid, but it's one of the best trails in the PAMBA system if you ask me.

We'll often link up Indy and Dirksen. That'll net you 15-20 miles of raw midwestern single track. I just rode that route last weekend on the FS, but I've yet to do it on the Wednesday.

I plan to ride Farmdale on the fatty tomorrow, actually.

Someone post a photo of their lovely Wednesday to bring us back on track.

mtbr member
    Testing the pack setup.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Lookin’ good, Chipper. I’m on a quest to refine my bikepacking setup as well.

The Transit rack showed up today so I began the fitup process. Since it’s made for a narrower tire, the included spacers are far too long. Cutting them in half with a .100” kerf worked out beautifully. They ended up around 3/8” thick and made for a stress free install at the lower braze ons.

Even when adjusted to the lowest setting, the rack is still too tall overall. I’ll likely drill new holes and drop it down so it hugs the tire a bit closer.

The front supports don’t fit well at all. The mounting points on the fatty are far wider than what the rack was designed for. I’ll come up with something though.

Overall I’m very pleased considering the price. I plan to complete the mods this week and use it on a local bikepacking trip the following weekend.

mtbr member
    Bray-
    Given the immense distance from the top of the tack to the frame's eyelets, you might want to use something along these lines.
    They make two versions- one replaces the frames normal seat collar.
    The second can be moved up/down on the seat post. I think the second one is likely best for your use.
    https://salsacycles.com/components/c...lars/rack-lock

I've used them on a Karate Monkey, and it was perfect.
    -JCBs
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    That's brilliant JCB! That solves all of my issues with the front supports. Thanks for the heads up.

edit: What's not so brilliant is that they don't offer the post lock nor the rack lock in the proper size. I ended up ordering a 31.6mm post lock with a .7mm shim. It'll work, require less fabrication work on my end, and will be transferable from bike to bike. Purchase justified, haha.
    Last edited by Bray D; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:47 AM.

mtbr member
    (nevermind- I see it has an NX1 rear der, that's 11speed)

I scanned over the Surly page real quick, I'm sure the answer is there but I didn't see it.
    The new Wednesday? Sweatpants Grey or Black? The new version is running a 1x set up.
    I'm guessing it's 11 speed. Can anyone confirm this?

-JCBs
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    It's 11speed. 28t up front with a 11-42 in the back.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    The fat wheels come off in the spring. The 29+ go on.
    Noticed that they were flat. Too many thorns from a Utah ride last Spring.
    So I finally got off my duff and set the Wednesday's wheels up tubeless.

I brewed up my own home(less)brew for tubeless. Can't say I'm a gourmet of those recipes and just followed directions I found online. Will see if it works.

But this is what I was meaning to say-
    The Surly My Other Brother Daryl rims just might be the easiest rim I have ever set up tubeless. I could have seated them w/ a mini pump. Would have hated it, but it would have worked.
    Quite impressive.
    Thanks for that Surly.

-JCBs
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I still have a Salsa clamp on its way, but with a trip planned for Friday afternoon, I decided to knock out a crude piece to get me by. Bored to just over 30.9mm. 1.75” total width so the front struts would bolt up without spacers.

I brought the overall height of the rack down well over an inch also. I had to cut the legs shorter and drill a new hole for the bolt that secured the lower legs to the rest of the rack.

Once all of that was complete, I went ahead and loaded it up. Leaving after work tomorrow for the 15 mile road/gravel trek to a local state forest.

The Wednesday is so versatile. Stripped down it’s a trail shredding machine. Loaded up it’s an absolute tank. I’m in love.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure you will be any happier w/ the Salsa. Yours looks perfect.
    I know for people w/ the skills/tools, something like that isn't too hard but from my perspective- crafting something like that is magic.
    I would have a hard time making one out of wood. Heck, papermache.
    Even drawing it wouldn't be easy.
    Well done.

-JCBs
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thank you, sir. While fully functional, it's not the most attractive piece. Swapping to the Salsa clamp would simply be for for the form aspect.

The Salsa clamp also requires a spacer, however. I suppose I could pull mine off, add some corner radii to soften it up a bit, then anodize or paint to add color. I'll make my decision once the other clamp arrives.

Until then, I'm going to ride my bike and party in the woods.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Bray,

Your solution is probably better than the Salsa solution. If I remember correctly that Salsa solution is a modified seatpost clamp. Your solution brings the clamp more in line with height of the rack.

Your bike looks good. Looks like you are ready to escape to the woods when the world falls apart.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Salsa offers both flavors. The one that replaces the clamp is referred to as a 'rack-lock'. The one I ordered is known as the 'post-lock'. It's sized for seat posts (rather than seat tubes) and doesn't have a lip on the bore so you can mount it anywhere along the post.

If the Salsa clamp was the proper size, I'd install it without question. Since I have to use a spacer with it to fit my seatpost, I'm considering just rocking the aluminum piece that I made. Either way, with the clamp in its current location, the rack supports are near horizontal and required zero bending for install. It should be a pretty robust arrangement regardless of which clamp I end up using in the long run.

Thanks for the compliments. The bike is turning out quite spartan, indeed.

mtbr member
    I had a short liaison with my Wendnesday in 29+ mode. Nice thing! There was the chance to compare it directly with my new Krampus. The Krampus is clearly the better trail bike for me. But I'm sure it will not replace my Wednesday!!

Gesendet von meinem SM-A320FL mit Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Murrisch- that bike looks good in thin mode.
    Nice red touches.

I'm sitting on a pair of Mulefet rims. I have been using one on a front Dyno wheel, but worry that they are (since they are single wall designs) a bit light for heavier abuse.
    Can anyone weigh in on their durability for rough riding in 29+ mode?

Thanks.
    -JCBs
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member

This thing rules.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mürrisch View Post
    I had a short liaison with my Wendnesday in 29+ mode. Nice thing! There was the chance to compare it directly with my new Krampus. The Krampus is clearly the better trail bike for me.
    I would be interested in hearing more about your experience with your 29+ Wednesday. I'm on the fence about ordering the parts needed for a 29+ conversion.

Looking at the geometry charts side by side, the Krampus and the Wednesday are almost identical. So to you, what makes the Krampus stand out as a trail bike compared to the 29+ Wednesday?

Thanks!

Tomi

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomy View Post
    I would be interested in hearing more about your experience with your 29+ Wednesday. I'm on the fence about ordering the parts needed for a 29+ conversion.

Looking at the geometry charts side by side, the Krampus and the Wednesday are almost identical. So to you, what makes the Krampus stand out as a trail bike compared to the 29+ Wednesday?

Thanks!

Tomi
    Probably not the place for it but I have some 29+ wheels that I'm planning on selling that would fit your Wednesday (150/177). I have to thin the herd and 5 wheelsets for mine is getting out of hand lol

mtbr member

Thanks!

Tomi
    If I were to hypothesize, I'd say the Krampus probably has a better, more robust suspension fork than the bluto.

mtbr member

Thanks!

Tomi
    Tomy!

Chippertheripper is right, the 120 mm Revelation on my Krampus is much better than the 100 mm Bluto on the Wednesday. But that's not the point. I think it's more due to the slightly different frame geometry. The Krampus simply feels much more agile and greedy for curves. Moreover, the Krampus has a more comfortable sitting position for me. The seating position of the Krampus is somehow deeper inside the bike. When I'm riding the Wed, I have the feeling I am sitting more on top of it. Why is that like this? Point 1: rigid fork length (Wed 468 mm, Krampus 484 mm), changed to suspension forks (Bluto 511, Revelation 521), finally makes 6 mm more height at the front of the Wed (26 mm at full fork compression!). Point 2: the Wed has 10 mm more BB hight. Together with the higher front you can feel it. The advantage of the higher BB (keyword pedal strike in curves) doesn't come to bear here because the crank of the Krampus is narrower.

In addition there is the fact at the 29+Wed you have to move the rear wheel back a bit (makes 10-15 mm longer chainstays). The bend of the seat tube on the Krampus places the seat position a bit further back over the rear wheel (5 mm more effective top tube length).

These are some small things with a big effect I mean.

The Krampus makes more fun on the trail, but the Wed has the versatility as a big advantage. For holidays by the sea I would definitely take the Wed with a second wheel set in the trunk of my car. For holidays in the mountains, Krampus would be my choice.

I'm sure if Surly would make an update for the Wed (484 rigid a-c, slight bending in the seat tube, release for 120 mm fork ...), then my Krampus would be unnecessary. KM, Krampus and the newest green ICT are already revised. The Wednesday is also due for an update I mean.

Time will tell...

Last edited by mürrisch; 3 Days Ago at 09:08 AM.

mtbr member
    And thank you JCB for your cheep solution...

I am using a M6 nut ISO 4032
    Last edited by mürrisch; 3 Days Ago at 07:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post

This thing rules.
    Does the bottle under the down tube pick up a lot of crud?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mürrisch View Post
    Tomy!

Chippertheripper is right, the 120 mm Revelation on my Krampus is much better than the 100 mm Bluto on the Wednesday. But that's not the point. I think it's more due to the slightly different frame geometry. The Krampus simply feels much more agile and greedy for curves. Moreover, the Krampus has a more comfortable sitting position for me. The seating position of the Krampus is somehow deeper inside the bike. When I'm riding the Wed, I have the feeling I am sitting more on top of it. Why is that like this? Point 1: rigid fork length (Wed 468 mm, Krampus 484 mm), changed to suspension forks (Bluto 511, Revelation 521), finally makes 6 mm more height at the front of the Wed (26 mm at full fork compression!). Point 2: the Wed has 10 mm more BB hight. Together with the higher front you can feel it. The advantage of the higher BB (keyword pedal strike in curves) doesn't come to bear here because the crank of the Krampus is narrower.

In addition there is the fact at the 29+Wed you have to move the rear wheel back a bit (makes 10-15 mm longer chainstays). The bend of the seat tube on the Krampus places the seat position a bit further back over the rear wheel (5 mm more effective top tube length).

These are some small things with a big effect I mean.

The Krampus makes more fun on the trail, but the Wed has the versatility as a big advantage. For holidays by the sea I would definitely take the Wed with a second wheel set in the trunk of my car. For holidays in the mountains, Krampus would be my choice.

I'm sure if Surly would make an update for the Wed (484 rigid a-c, slight bending in the seat tube, release for 120 mm fork ...), then my Krampus would be unnecessary. KM, Krampus and the newest green ICT are already revised. The Wednesday is also due for an update I mean.

Time will tell...

Many thanks for your thorough reply and analysis. It all makes sense. I totally forgot to compare BB height. I wonder if the Wednesday would feel better then on normal 29" wheels, or even 27.5+ wheels?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

mtbr member
    anyone cruising around on the new color, would like to see some pics of the gray

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
    Does the bottle under the down tube pick up a lot of crud?
    so much crud. in this pic the whole bike is wet, which is why it doesn't look too dirty. But I assure you, crud was found.

mtbr member
    Yep. So much crud.
    There are some clever containers that fit in water bottle cages.
    Or add a cargo cage and use a stuff sack (waterproof) w/ items you might rarely ever need.
    I’ve used it for water on long dry rides but end up switching the water from that bottle to a clean one.

What bothers me the most about that spot (well- I wish it was a three pack mount) but it’s where I grab when carrying up something steep. But clearly there are ways around that- just me that needs a new pattern. Not the bike.

-JCB

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223