Today is WEDNESDAY! - Page 13- Mtbr.com
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
Results 2,401 to 2,533 of 2533
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Hi

do i need Monkey Nuts V2.0 if im going tu use 4.4 jumbo jim or any 4.4 or 4.5" tyre

rim is DT BR710

mtbr member
    Dang- just wrote the most beautiful and poised response to your question (that's only partially accurate) and my vintage iPad chewed it up and put it who knows where?

Short answer-
    No. You don't need it. But you might want them.
    But *(I think?) you need V3 for a thru axle.

The Monkey Nut will keep the wheel from moving forward. Especially helpful when you are installing the wheel after a flat or tire change or whatever. Super helpful to put the tire right back in it's same place.
    But- the MN won't do anything to keep the axle from drifting backwards under hard braking. Maybe you have the legs to actually move it forward- but in my experience these issues only present during hard braking. Which, if you're using the fat ole tires on snow or sand? You won't have the traction to cause any issues. Land a hard jump on the brakes in the summer?Maybe then it'll be an issue.

So the answer is no- you don't need them. But you might want them unless you are always running the R axle all the way forward.

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    so when i will use 1xX drivetrain there will be enough clearance even with 4.8 tyre without any monkey nut (axle max forward)?

ive boght only frameset and now im starting to complete all the rest :-)

(it will be my first bike with horizontal dropout and first surly BTW ... so im sleepwalker)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by totem. View Post
    so when i will use 1xX drivetrain there will be enough clearance even with 4.8 tyre without any monkey nut (axle max forward)?

ive boght only frameset and now im starting to complete all the rest :-)

(it will be my first bike with horizontal dropout and first surly BTW ... so im sleepwalker)
    Iím not 100% sure but I believe youíd have to run the axle back for that size tire and likely run single speed or maybe 6-7sp cassette. I have Ednaís on mine with the axle forward and there isn't room for more tire with safe clearance. Edna is an awesome tire, too.

mtbr member
    Yep.
    Youíll have to pull the wheel back with a wider tire.
    My Jumbo Jimís in a 4 worked fully forward w/ a 2x.
    Everything else needs a gap. The wide tire you mentioned? Absolutely.

It would work without MNs. But will be much easier with them.

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by totem. View Post
    Does anyone know if a 4.8 will fit in the Wednesday? Surly says 4.6 is the biggest that will fit with adequate clearance when the axle is at the back of the dropout. Does a Lou fit in a Wednesday? Chain clearance issue aside, does the Lou fit in the frame? If it does, that would peak my SS interest.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Not sure if itís a misprint, but on the surly site under frame specs it says clearance for 4.8Ē pulled back. Even though the description says 4.6Ē, that could just be with gears.

mtbr member
    Thanks RFfahm, I'll have a look at the specs just to confirm.

mtbr member
    I'm running Lou/Bud on my 2x Wednesday. Haven't had more than oh... 15 mile on them yet but it works.
    Perfect? No. in the little ring and large cog, there's slight rub of chain/tire.
    I keep thinking I'll remove a cog and space the cassette out a bit but haven't yet bothered. As it is, I use the cog that's one down from the granny and it's fine.

If you are running a 1x, maybe put the F ring as far to the outside as you can to avoid this.

Chain stay clearance? Fine.

https://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/lo...y-1095994.html

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I have 4.5" Juggernaughts, (?) with my Rohloff hub axle in the rear hole of the Surly Tuggnutt, and the clearance is as close as I would want it, about 1/4" each side.

Since this is a ebike build, I used Tuggnutts on each side, plus some 1/16" aircraft cable and aircraft turnbuckles that hook into the Tuggnutts and the weldments by the seatpost to totally lock that axle in place, it can't move forward or backwards, period. And yes, I do have a Rohloff chain tensioner. Rohloff makes a big deal about using their hub in a bike with slotted drop outs, as in, NOT wanting you to, they prefer you use a bike with Rohloff specific dropouts. But the way I have it captured it's not going anywhere. Taking the rear wheel off takes a couple minutes longer, if that, I can live with that. Plus I still can open a bottle of beer on the right side Tuggnutt, as Surly intended.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019

Thundersnow!

Hey folks! I had about the best commute to work ever yesterday, so I thought I'd register and share it. I'm in central Wisconsin and April snowstorms seem to be becoming a thing for us. Last year we got three feet; this year just one, so far. Anyway, I hopped on the Wednesday just after sunrise, as it turned to sleet. Thankfully, I had the good sense to wear goggles, so I felt totally euphoric getting pelted awake by little ice balls and fighting massive headwinds (seems like the wind's always in the wrong [right?] direction, no matter which way you turn, eh?). Then the thunder and lightning started....which gave me the energy I needed to just start hammering. Thundersnow is always super awesome, but this was like nothing I've ever seen before. Lightning was splintering the clouds overhead in visible bolts and I could feel the thunder claps in my chest.

I'd wish I could say I stayed true to my bike masochism streak and tell you that I arrived soaked and freezing, but sensible me chose to wear appropriate clothing and ended up having a fantastic day at work. Thanks, Wednesday! <3
    Today is WEDNESDAY!-p4110974.jpgToday is WEDNESDAY!-p4110979.jpg
    Today is WEDNESDAY!-p4110981.jpg
    Hope those images show up. Maybe I should'a read the directions first...
    Edit: They did!

mtbr member
    Dec 2018

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Sorry, here is the photo...

It is in the Salsa Surly Trader group. You'll have to be a member of the group to see. $1500 in Marquette, MI...

Not my bike, just passing on to fello Wednesday nuts.

Today is WEDNESDAY!-screenshot_2019-04-13-18-38-10-1.jpg

https://m.facebook.com/groups/154453...78543639062222
    Last edited by Dogbros; 04-13-2019 at 04:46 PM. Reason: add amore info

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbros View Post
    Sorry, here is the photo...

It is in the Salsa Surly Trader group. You'll have to be a member of the group to see. $1500 in Marquette, MI...

Not my bike, just passing on to fello Wednesday nuts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2019-04-13-18-38-10-1.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	232.7 KB 
ID:	1246751

https://m.facebook.com/groups/154453...78543639062222
    What kind of dropper post is that?

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    KS Speed Up 200 mm

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Opinions on 4" 26s vs. 3" 29ers for summer riding on the Wednesday?

Im between buying a second set of wheels and just getting non-studded tires.

Where can one find 150/177 29+ wheels for cheap?

mtbr member
    Iím the wrong guy to ask about wheel size since Iím one of us that likes the bike way way more with 29+ than fat.
    Just feels so much more playful. Faster. Comfier. Snappier.

But if I backseat my huge bias?
    (Knowing nothing about where youíre riding) Iíd guess that fats would be super helpful on occasion.
    And 29x3.0 would be wonderful most of your summer.

But that said? There are ample riders here that love fat year round.
    Just did a ride with a friend- he was on light weight balloons. Amazing Enve rims. Huge things.
    Now and then I wished for fat. But the other 90% of the time, I was all set on my plus wheels.
    Big Wheel Building: The wilderness that remains.

-Bones
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop01 View Post
    Opinions on 4" 26s vs. 3" 29ers for summer riding on the Wednesday?

Im between buying a second set of wheels and just getting non-studded tires.

Where can one find 150/177 29+ wheels for cheap?
    They donít come cheap, but theyíre well worth the investment.
    I just put my skinnies back on. 2.6 ikon out back, 3.0 ranger up front.
    Itís a whole new bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    They donít come cheap, but theyíre well worth the investment.
    I just put my skinnies back on. 2.6 ikon out back, 3.0 ranger up front.
    Itís a whole new bike.
    For cheap meaning pre-built. Fat bike spaced wheels with 29er rims... Where can get them?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    For cheap meaning pre-built. Fat bike spaced wheels with 29er rims... Where can get them?
    Check out Fyxation Cycles.

mtbr member

Today is WEDNESDAY!

I had them built. This is a dynamo front laced to an arch and a 350 rear laced to a crest.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Iíve done some google searches and found a few things. But I wanted to ask if anyone here has first hand experience using a Wednesday as an all weather commuter?

I can pick one up for a decent price and I was thinking a 27.5+ conversion and some fenders and Iíd have a sweet versatile ride for any weather I might encounter in my 3 mile commute.

Or am I better off looking for an Ogre or KM? With some fenders abs studded tires?

mtbr member
    The Wednesday should fit 29+. A potential issue is the wider BB, but if you are commuting during the winter with snow then the ability to fit 4" tires is worth it. The KM will fit 27.5+, but not fat and have a standard width BB. Both the KM and Wednesday can be good commuters that rip on singletrack and can be used for bikepacking too. The best thing to do is go to your LBS and test ride a bit to help you decide what suits your over purpose better.

mtbr member
    @tarzan13, if you donít mind the wider bottom bracket, fat is the way to go in my opinion. I have been back and forth and the ability to run fat is so nice. I will also say, in my opinion, get a regular 29er wheelset for road commuting. I used 27.5+ the least of any of the new sizes I tried. I found them extremely slow on the road (maxxis chronicle), just my experience.

I am trying to decide if I want 29+ or 29x2.6 myself. I love 29+ but Iím not sure if having to lengthen the chainstays with monkey nuts is worth it or not...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    tarzan13,

You don't need to change wheel sizes. Just get a pair of Juggernaut 4.0 tires. I run a Jugernaut Pro in the back and a Juggernaut Sport in the front. At 15 lbs of pressure these are great for street riding, lots of fun. I also lower the pressure to 8.5 in the front and 11.5 in the back for the trails.

The stock tires, "Surly Nates" are a little to aggressive/knobby for the street. The other tire that is good in street and trail is the Jumbo Jim. Use your Nates in the winter.

I would stay away from the fat slicks.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Today is WEDNESDAY!

Quote Originally Posted by tarzan13 View Post
    Iíve done some google searches and found a few things. But I wanted to ask if anyone here has first hand experience using a Wednesday as an all weather commuter?

I can pick one up for a decent price and I was thinking a 27.5+ conversion and some fenders and Iíd have a sweet versatile ride for any weather I might encounter in my 3 mile commute.

Or am I better off looking for an Ogre or KM? With some fenders abs studded tires?
    Unless I was commuting though unplowed roads and singletrack, I would not choose my Wednesday (or any fat or plus sized tires) for commuting. Thats just me, though.

I commute (crappy paved roads) on a 26Ē mtb. I run 1.75s, and go studded in the winter.

Full coverage fenders are a must IMO.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    Unless I was commuting though unplowed roads and singletrack, I would not choose my Wednesday (or any fat or plus sized tires) for commuting. Thats just me, though.

I commute (crappy paved roads) on a 26Ē mtb. I run 1.75s, and go studded in the winter.

Full coverage fenders are a must IMO.
    There is a spot of single track and I ll have at least 3/4 of a mile road thatís not going to be well taken care of in the winter, my total commute is less than 3 miles one way.

I was going to put studded tires and fenders on my Cross Check but I have wicked toe overlap with out fenders, so I am looking at other options. I figured a Wednesday on 29ís or 27.5+ís might have some added fun factor and this looks super sweet

https://theradavist.com/2018/03/step...rgan-taylor/#1

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    There is a spot of single track and I ll have at least 3/4 of a mile road thatís not going to be well taken care of in the winter, my total commute is less than 3 miles one way.

I was going to put studded tires and fenders on my Cross Check but I have wicked toe overlap with out fenders, so I am looking at other options. I figured a Wednesday on 29ís or 27.5+ís might have some added fun factor and this looks super sweet

https://theradavist.com/2018/03/step...rgan-taylor/#1
    Oh yeah, I saw that when researching the Wednesday. That is pretty sweet and is part of what sold me on the bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Oh yeah, I saw that when researching the Wednesday. That is pretty sweet and is part of what sold me on the bike.
    Are you pretty happy with the bike and itís versatility?

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Are you pretty happy with the bike and itís versatility?
    I canít speak much to the versatility, as I bought the complete bike, and I am riding it mostly stock right now, and have mostly ridden just single track (with and without snow). I have thus far only put 2 of the 46 braze-ons to use, as well as 1 of the 36 different supported hub/wheel combos.

It is also my first Fat Bike, so I donít have much to compare it to.

I have enjoyed it a lot on the trail, and have appreciated being able to ride in crappy winter conditions (snow and mud in varying degrees). I have demoed fat bikes several times over the years, and they always felt like driving a bus, not terribly fun bikes. This one is actually fun to ride.

It donít think it will be my go-to bike for single-track riding in the dry. But I donít think any fat bike would. Overall I enjoy a standard-tired FS more. However, I have always liked switching it up with a rigid on occasion, and fat tires at 7 psi make that a lot more doable with my crappy back than my old Karate Monkey with 2.4s. I may get some faster tires and ride it in the summer when the 5-Spot makes things too easy.

So in that sense, yes, it is filling two niches: snow/mud bike in the winter, and ďa-rigid-would-be-a-nice-change-of-paceĒ bike in the summer.

I could see getting a second set of tires (or even wheels) for the summer, but I am inclined to think I would still go fat, (as opposed to plus).

mtbr member

Trade Frames?

If youíve read all the way thru this thread, youíve seen me post that my medium frame might be too small.
    And it might not.

But- after a long day yesterday bumping along the Whiterim on my medium Wednesday (blue) I figured Iíd throw this out to you all.

Do any of you with a large frame have any interest in trading frames?
    My frame has had a frame bag on it from the very start so has the usual paint scuffs from the Velcro.
    It wonít impress you with pristine paint.
    But otherwise itís perfect.

If youíd like to trade- let me know what color you have and we can talk.

I live in Colorado and would consider driving to you depending on location.

Thanks
    -JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    JCB,

If you can't find someone to trade. You can get a new Large frames in Calimoche Red from Universal Cycle for $467.00. And then just sell your frame.

mtbr member
    Thanks Sandman- that's not such a terrible price.
    Buying/selling crossed my mind too. Will wait it out.

Or more likely, will continue to ride that medium happily. Mostly thought that there might be a low or zero cost to try a large w/o much hassle.

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman29 View Post
    JCB,

If you can't find someone to trade. You can get a new Large frames in Calimoche Red from Universal Cycle for $467.00. And then just sell your frame.
    I saw they had the Calimocho Red frames for that price, it's one of the reasons the Wednesday is on my list at the moment. I just need to go test ride a Wednesday to see if it feels "right".

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    JCB,

I am 6'2" or taller and I have been riding my Large for about the same time you have been riding your medium. Sometimes the Large looks small under me, but I like the way in which when I go over technical stuff the bike just pivots perfectly under me as I stand on the pedals.

I am not sure if I would get that same feeling with an XLarge frame. Even though I am tall enough to go XL.

mtbr member
    Sand- True true. The Med has such a nimble feel to me, and w/ such a terrific stand over, getting back on in softer snow isn't so bad either.
    It fits on the boat better and just generally works fine.

Given that I sat on it for the recent 100 mile day loop, that my knees were fine, neck etc (though my lower back wasn't thrilled) I don't have a large reason to change.

Swapping means shipping to/from another owner. Probably a new frame bag (though it would be bigger and other minor hurdles. Nothing huge, but nothing I'm looking forward to either.

If someone comes forward? I'd trade.
    If not? I'll ride the medium until I don't, and that'll be fine too.

My wife has a Rocky Mountain Blizzard. I don't want to get all mouthy about a non-Wednesday frame but it's downright playful compared to the Surly. But- no real storage. Sure, you can make it work. There are ways, but the frame triangle is teeny. The fork can't use the Surly racks (unless I hobble together some random way) and there are other also minor issues.

But, the RM has me wondering about something new. I recently read that carbon takes about 14x more energy to make, is harder to recycle (and takes way more energy to recycle) so in the category of steel frames that are fat and 29plus? That can bikepack easy enough? Well, my options are narrow so I doubt I'll change anytime soon.

Plus, when I ride that Wednesday, I just love the damned thing. Hour 11 lsat week I about blew my spleen out my butt while hefting the anchor like Surly but not only will it do- it'll do wonderfully.

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    I've been changing the wheels last week to my 29+ setup, with P49 and Knards 29x3.0. Also took the Bluto out and changed it for a Kona P2 solid fork. Liked my last ride a lot. Thinking of a suspension fork for a boost hub. What will keep the misses happy ($$$) and me too? 100mm travel will do. Thinking about a Manitou Markhor boost 15mm2017 @ CRC. Decided to stay with the 29+ setup, because the Wednesday has got a big brother (ICT)

mtbr member
    Today is WEDNESDAY!-d964face-d63d-47a7-91a9-681f9ca6bdba.jpg

Seemed like too long since anything was posted here.

mtbr member
    Indeed Frahm. Indeed.
    Where is that? Pretty impressive place. I'm envious of that bar.

I just came by an old handme down Reverb dropper that'll fit the Wednesday.
    It should do a nice job of breathing some excitement into my ride. Figure I can pressurize it a bit to allow the rebound to occur even w/ a big seat bag on it. Maybe.

It's that time of the year in Colorado when the weather has finally become more stable. Sort of.
    So that means I want to sleep out more. That means the Wednesday gets off the hook and rallied about.

Will try to get some photos up.

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    JCB, that is pretty much in my backyard here in Packwood,WA. The sunrise bar is nice! Though eventually it will be replaced by an oddity razorbar plus, titanium!

I have never used a dropper and Iím not sure I really need one for my riding. But I hope it works out for you! They seem great for certain situations. I have a Sweetpost that should be shipping soon so I guess I could have gone for a fancy dropper.

I look forward to seeing some pictures of your area, I love Colorado! Looking to get out for some overnights here but a one month old has me sticking around for a bit longer...

mtbr member
    Droppers on fat bikes play a funny role.
    Maybe different than on true single track rippers. Maybe (?) you'd like one when trying to get started on that bizarro cobble/lupine surface you call home.
    Start w/ the seat low, both feet on the ground, get rolling, then pop it up.

I used to scoff them on these bikes but after floundering in deep snow and realizing it was hard to get back on I learned they can be helpful. Sometimes.
    Though- they certainly aren't (and haven't been for over a century!) required.

jcb
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    I can definitely see them coming in handy for some occasions. I went with a large instead of extra large mostly for the stand over for those reasons. I feel like Iíd forget it was there anyway!

Our mashed potato snow hasnít been great for riding so I canít say I have much experience there. But I can see a huge benefit for snow riding with the little Iíve been able to do.

My biggest decision next is if I want to get a wheelset for 29+, 29x2.6 or B-fat for just one all around set. I enjoyed 29+ on an ecr for a while but feel like 2.6 might be the sweet spot. Maybe. And B-fat might be a perfect compromise for my slow, lazy adventure riding. Sometimes I want my Wednesday to be a bit faster than the Ednaís. Maybe I just need to stop running them at 4psi! Probably just my weak legs.

mtbr member
    I did find a great deal on a set of dt350 hubs with Velocity duelly wheels but they are 27.5. I rode a Jones Complete with that size and found them incredibly slow (could have just been the chronicles, or that the Jones was too small), but no faster than my Ednaís roll. Still tempting since the set is about the cost of the hubs.

mtbr member
    Those wheels are still on eBay for a starting bid of $325! Seems like a killer deal for someone wanting 27+. I decided to continue looking for the most comfortable cockpit instead. Sweetpost will be here in a couple days and Oddity is making me a sweet custom Razorbar plus with and extra front hoop! Super excited for the bar with a mix of sweep.

mtbr member
    I canít see any reason to go w/ a 27.5 on the Wednesday but write that as an admitted 29+ fan.
    perhaps Iíd try it and see the light but really, this bike w/ 29+ is near perfect for so much of my needs. Iím not interested in making my pedals any closer to the ground.
    This trend of lower/slacker etc bikes ainít for me. Maybe one day Iíll see the light, but not thanks on b-plus wheels.

Whatís the Razorbar Plus look like w/ an extra loop? Like a riser Jones or some such?
    I have issues these days w/ non-standard bars.

A friend hasnít ever slept off of a bike. So we did a super short bike pack in the green terrain of central Colorado. Short. 5 miles short. But it had some trail, some road, a stream crossing, and a great camp.
    It was decidedly not extreme, arduous, or anything other than a perfect first time loop.
    Even the spring flowers made an appearance.
    And the 29+ Wednesday was (as usual) perfect to overload w/ extra stuff and head out in the evening light.
    And the Surly Ogre? Pretty cool bike. Given how different it is from the Wednesday, itís amazing how similar it is.

I tried to upload a single photo of this ride but the archaic MTBR photo system fails me again.
    Can you hear me moderators?

Go ride something today.
    Stop reading the internet right now!
    -JCBs
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    If I was going with the 27.t I was thinking of B-fat. I was worried the duellyís were a bit too narrow to run the pressures I like. Was just a great deal at $325 plus shipping!

I havenít seen a Razorbar Plus with an extra loop but was told they have made others. I love my Handee Randee bag that was made with the Jones bar in mind. I wanted to be able to use it still. And I really love the extra cruiser feel of the Jones but much prefer less bend in tech situations. Just my preference. So I think the mix is going to be great! I only tried the sunriser bar to see how I got on with 15 degree.

Sounds like a fun trip even if short! Any trip can be a blast! Nobody I know around here rides so my adventures are always solo. My wife is getting more comfortable with the baby overnight so Iím sure Iíll get out for a quick trip soon. Fingers crossed.

I am definitely going to go for the 29Ē wheelset eventually. I just wanted ultimate comfort first. I donít mind lugging the Ednaís around most of the time.

Uploading pictures isnít the easiest but itís not the worst Iíve seen. Well, maybe it is...
    but oh well.

Just because.

Today is WEDNESDAY!-e2ef6e70-1942-47b4-8d29-2034f78a1ee6.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I kinda dig the new Blue Monday Wednesday. The colored decals are a nice touch

https://surlybikes.com/bikes/wednesday
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Me too! And did you see the raven on the seat tube?

mtbr member
    1.5 new bikes being used this season.
    As I swap between them Iíve spent less time on the Wednesday than I usually do.
    And still, for whatever reasons, the new stuff has recently spent more time on the hooks and the Wednesday has been brought back into action.

Why do i love this bike so? If there was a contest, mine could compete for most bloated.
    Itís battered. Doesnít have slick high end parts. Has a dyno, a Surly F rack (has Surly ever made anything light? Besides their wool t-shirt?), and a 2x11 drivetrain.
    That ugly over thought Moloko bar and itís bag do nothing to make this bike look svelte.
    But the frame bag doesnít either.
    The one thing that makes it at all sporty are 29+ wheels during the summer months.

And still Iím nuts for it.
    Comfy? Sure. All day comfy. Century comfy.
    Stable? Sure footed? Oh yes. Near invincible.
    Uphill? Well, the 2x allows me to creep up near anything. Though not fast.
    Down? Itís not sporty, but it does everything well enough.

Anyway-
    Iím nuts for the Wednesday.
    Canít completely explain it and wonít be losing sleep trying to do so.

Anyone able to tell me whatís magical about this tank?

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    JCB,

I just picked up my 3rd Wednesday. I have one here in Florida for me, one in Chicago at my Mom's house for me, and I just picked one up for my girlfriend.

The only downside I have found to the bike, is that it makes your thighs grow. With the right tires they are fun in an urban setting and in the woods.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    JCB,

I just picked up my 3rd Wednesday. I have one here in Florida for me, one in Chicago at my Mom's house for me, and I just picked one up for my girlfriend.

The only downside I have found to the bike, is that it makes your thighs grow. With the right tires they are fun in an urban setting and in the woods.
    Hey! Where in Florida are you? I moved to Miami with the 1ed Wednesday in tow, looking for new and interesting places to ride my light blue bulldozer through.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    R.B.,

All of my Wednesday are the robin egg blue, as well. Just happened that way. The first I bought new the 2nd and 3rd, I bought used in like-new condition.

I don't know about the mountain biking in Miami. I live in Tampa, where Alafia is very popular. Maybe too popular. People from all over the state travel up to Tampa to ride Alafia.

There is another place in Lakeland near Tampa, called Carter Park. I don't ride Carter Park anymore, I tore by bicep off the bone at Carter Park, had to have surgery to re-attach. It's a great trail system, but no go place to land if you crash. That crash I had was on a regular traditional geometry 29er. I think that is the major reason I switched to a fat bike.

I don't know that much about the State, but I think the best places are the two I just mentioned and then as you drive north towards Gainesville there is a place call Santos.

Sorry, I couldn't be of more help on Mountain biking in Miami.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Chicken Bones View Post
    Anyway-
    Iím nuts for the Wednesday.
    Canít completely explain it and wonít be losing sleep trying to do so.

Anyone able to tell me whatís magical about this tank?

-JCB
    I'm in a similar situation. Working at a shop, I have access to a lot of great brands at good prices, and I'm constantly over-thinking about the next bike. My Wednesday is the 4th fatbike I've owned in 9 years, so I'm used to moving on to something newer or shinier. But I'm really struggling to find a suitable replacement. Nothing seems to do anything better than the Wednesday can. Sure it'll be a pound or two lighter, but does that matter when I've got a whiskey and gear laden frame bag? I'd give up my threaded BB most likely, perhaps some heel and tire clearance too. Is it worth it? Pretty hard for me to justify at this point. I might just throw some new goodies on the ol' girl and get another few years out of it. There is a magic to it. It fits well, it does everything well. It looks f'n sweet. It's got scratches and stickers and does anything I ask of it. Perhaps this post just helped me make up my mind
    Jason

mtbr member
    So I scored a great wheelset on eBay with some onyx hubs and arc 35 wheels. When I ridden 29x3 itís been on 40 and 45 ID wheels so I was thinking of running 2.6Ē on these. Any experience that can be passed on as for fast, tough tire recommendations? And if 2.6 seems like the way to go on a 35 ID rim? Thanks for any help! The deal was too good to pass up since Iíve really been wanting to try the onyx hubs. Canít wait for a summer wheelset!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RFrahm View Post
    So I scored a great wheelset on eBay with some onyx hubs and arc 35 wheels. When I ridden 29x3 itís been on 40 and 45 ID wheels so I was thinking of running 2.6Ē on these. Any experience that can be passed on as for fast, tough tire recommendations? And if 2.6 seems like the way to go on a 35 ID rim? Thanks for any help! The deal was too good to pass up since Iíve really been wanting to try the onyx hubs. Canít wait for a summer wheelset!
    I ran Maxxis Rekon 29x2.6 and have a buddy running them on his Wednesday currently. 60TPI seems to be a sweet spot for the trails i ride and the tires rolls nice and fast for being out here. If you end up going 29x3 Maxxis Chronicle would be what I would recommend, faster than the Rekons , felt like they were headache free for me. We have a lot of sand and roots here in West Michigan

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Thank you for the reply! I was thinking about the Rekon. I have a set of ranger toughs that I am going to try out first since I have them. After reading enough people with 3.0 on 35 id I feel like I might as well try them.

I like the look of the Teravail Cumberland but damn thatís a heavy 2.6!

mtbr member
    And just because this thread lacks pictures. And because my new Oddity bars are sweet!

Today is WEDNESDAY!-6a59dbc2-a835-4fa6-832b-256130fe0fdd.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Latest Wednesday

Today is WEDNESDAY!-mediumsurly.jpg

Here is the latest Surly Wednesday that I just added. This one is a Medium that bought used for my girlfriend. The bike was in very good condition, they said that it was only ridden about 10 miles.

Basically, just swapped out the tires to Juggernaut Pro in the rear and Juggernaut Sport in the front. I also swapped out the tubes to QBP super lights. Actually the tubes are for normal to plus size mountain bike tires, but they seem to work fine on 4" fat tires as well. At one time Surly mentioned that you could use these tubes for 4" tires on their website. But, I think they took that recommendation down for legal liability reasons.

The other thing I did was I lined the inside of each rim with the fat Gorilla Tape. This was done just to give some extra protection from a stick coming thru one of the weight relief holes, and it also give a little extra protection/smoothness from the tubes getting punctured or worn by the spoke nipple ends.

I paid $1000 (including shipping) for this bike shipped from Idaho to Florida, which is at least $150 to $200 in shipping. So, I would say that the used market on the Wednesday is probably $800 to $900 (plus shipping) in excellent condition and then based on the wear slightly lower for good and fair condition.

I took this picture at my local bike shop. I had them assemble and set up the bike.

The Juggernaut Pro is about 840 grams and the side wall is too thin to use at light tire pressure for a front tire. They just don't steer straight with that thin of a side wall. The Jugernaut Sport is about 1300 grams and acts much better as a front tire.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nice! And thanks for the pricing info. Very helpful. I'm in the used market now, currently looking for a Large. Would ideally like to be under $1000 shipped. Striking out so far on Facebook and eBay, but trying to be patient.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MediumSurly.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	214.8 KB 
ID:	1271717

Here is the latest Surly Wednesday that I just added. This one is a Medium that bought used for my girlfriend. The bike was in very good condition, they said that it was only ridden about 10 miles.

Basically, just swapped out the tires to Juggernaut Pro in the rear and Juggernaut Sport in the front. I also swapped out the tubes to QBP super lights. Actually the tubes are for normal to plus size mountain bike tires, but they seem to work fine on 4" fat tires as well. At one time Surly mentioned that you could use these tubes for 4" tires on their website. But, I think they took that recommendation down for legal liability reasons.

The other thing I did was I lined the inside of each rim with the fat Gorilla Tape. This was done just to give some extra protection from a stick coming thru one of the weight relief holes, and it also give a little extra protection/smoothness from the tubes getting punctured or worn by the spoke nipple ends.

I paid $1000 (including shipping) for this bike shipped from Idaho to Florida, which is at least $150 to $200 in shipping. So, I would say that the used market on the Wednesday is probably $800 to $900 (plus shipping) in excellent condition and then based on the wear slightly lower for good and fair condition.

I took this picture at my local bike shop. I had them assemble and set up the bike.

The Juggernaut Pro is about 840 grams and the side wall is too thin to use at light tire pressure for a front tire. They just don't steer straight with that thin of a side wall. The Jugernaut Sport is about 1300 grams and acts much better as a front tire.

mtbr member
    Last time I was looking there were a couple options under $1000 shipped on pinkbike. Been a while though. The Wednesday is worth every penny!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Today is WEDNESDAY!-surlywednesdayjug4zeroand4five.jpg

This is one of my Large Surly Wednesdays. This picture was taken in my garage in Florida but I have since shipped this bike to my Mother's house outside Chicago.

Up there I mostly ride Palos, Swallow Cliff, Waterfall Glen and the trail along the Desplains River / I&M Canal. The only true mountain biking trail is the Palos trails. Since I only use this bike a couple weeks out of the year I am using a 4.5 Juggernaut Pro in the front, and still a 4.0 Juggernaut Pro in the back.

The 4.5 Juggarnauts Pros are probably in the 1300 gram range and they have thicker side walls than 4.0 Pro at 840 grams. So, I can go light PSI up front and the bike still steers straight.

So, the fatter tire up front makes up for not having a Bluto.

The other thing about have two different size tires (4" rear, 4.5" front) - No one has even noticed they are different sizes, the only time people realize it is when I tell them.

I bought this bike used a couple of years ago for $900 locally. At the time, I didn't need it because I had just bought a new Large Surly Wednesday a few months earlier. But, I am glad I bought it and I definately found a use for it, up in Chicago.

On this bike other than swapping out the tires, I had to add my favorite saddle, pedals and grips. I am still using the original brakes although they are not that great.

These fat bikes can get expensive to ship. I think I sent about $200 shipping to Chicago. I might have been able to ship it cheaper through a Bikeflight or one of their competitors. But instead I went to the local Kinkos that had a UPS store inside.

mtbr member
    Nice, I really love the blue color! The larger front tire probably also helps make up for the crazy low stack.

For a note on shipping, bike flights ran me $107 with $600 insurance and I dropped it at a UPS. Out of curiosity I had the UPS tell me what it would have run through them and it was closer to $300. So bike flights is a killer deal!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I really, really, really want a Wednesday. But I promised myself I wouldnít buy anymore bikes until after I move. A couple of more years... but I really need one! Okay. I need the Blue Monday color. Really! I rather like the white (salt?) too. It also looks good in black. Yep. I need at least one of those three. Help! Talk me out of it. Huh. Anyone have a medium just sitting there? Pretty please?

mtbr member
    I doubt anyone here will try and talk you out of a Wednesday. Great bike! Two years is long time to wait...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I doubt anyone here will try and talk you out of a Wednesday. Great bike! Two years is long time to wait...
    Well i donít want anyone to talk me out of it!

I can ride on the beach and through the techie trails in the forested dunes next to it. And when I move iíll Finally have snow again and I can ride all winter. But I know I shouldnít. If I keep buying bikes iíll Never have enough money to move.

I have a Karate Money (single speed), and it has essentially replaced my cyclocross. But part of that is the toe-overlap on that bike. Itís annoying. And I ride far forward in all my bikes. So I appreciate the slacker heat tubes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Just find one. Don't worry about the color. The nice thing about the Surlys is you can change the color later by getting it powder coated. Or, you can just leave the color as it is and learn to love it.

About a week ago a medium black sold on eBay for $660, and another black that had less than 10 miles on it sold for $800. People are asking in the $1200 for these bikes, but you just have to let them know that market price "used" is less than that asking price.

You will love the bike in urban riding or out in the woods. I might, yet, pick up another Wednesday and make it into a SS.

Your sources for a used Wednesday are:
    Craigslist
    Pinkbike
    eBay
    mtbr classifieds
    Facebook Surly Trader Forum

One trick that works many times on a google search for nationwide craigslist is - name of item site:craigslist.org

For example, try this google search:

Surly Wednesday site:craigslist.org

That should give you all of the Surly Wednesdays listed nationwide on craigslist. This seems to work better using craigslist.org rather than craigslist.com. That is because when you typically type in Craigslist.com, it redirects you to craigslist.org. But, that redirection is not well associated with a Google search.

I don't use the Nate tires on the bike. So, if I have someone ship one to me I tell them to keep the Nates. That saves about 8lbs in shipping and hopefully also for a smaller box - both weight and size should lower the shipping expense.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Cool. My Karate Monkey is a single speed, and I rather think Iíd like gears on thisóthinking post-apocalypse bike.

Iíve Looked in those sites. The problem is mountain biking is almost non-existent where I live, and Surlys very uncommon. The only reason I am so familiar with them is the internet. Though iíve Managed to test quite a few while traveling, and Iíve concluded that I wouldnít mind owning most of them. I saw a Surly Moonlander in excellent condition on the Surly trader FB group. Looked perfect. $600 asking price. But Iím near Savannah, GA, and it was in New Jersey. Shipping for these bikes is not cheap.

Did the Wednesdayís also change significantly starting in 2017, like the KM and Krampus?

mtbr member
    Nope. Since it's inception, the Wednesday has not changed except for colors.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    It's like the cross check, they nailed it on the first try
    Jason

Thatís no moon.
    The headtube on these look fairly short. Anyone have a problem getting their handlebars level with, or slightly higher than the saddle? How much steerer tube is available above the HT? The geometry chart on the Surly site isnít working.
    2015 Santa Cruz Tallboy
    2016 Salsa Fargo

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Today is WEDNESDAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Space Robot View Post
    The headtube on these look fairly short. Anyone have a problem getting their handlebars level with, or slightly higher than the saddle? How much steerer tube is available above the HT? The geometry chart on the Surly site isnít working.
    IMO the Wed (and other Surlys) could use more stack height. I prefer my bars higher than the saddle on my bikes and started with some 40mm rise Renthals and a 20 degree rise Hope stem on my Wed. Even with this combination I had to position the stem an 2-3 inches up the steerer tube.

I did like this combination but still felt like the cockpit needed tweaking. I switched to a Surly sunrise bar with a Promax BMX stem and now the bike feels ďrightĒ to me. I also have a Sunrise bar on my Krampus.

For reference, Iíve been riding Canfield N9ís for a while and that spoiled me as far as stack/bar height goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    It does depend which size Wednesday, as they are not all perfectly the same proportions. And it also matters what your inseam is. If itís longer, (like me) you are more likely to have lower bars compared to saddle height. Especially if you need a smaller size. On the other hand, I think the XLís tend to have more spacers than the smaller sizes. Iíd like to see Surly raise their stacks all around. The only one with good stack that I know of is the ECR.

mtbr member
    After getting the fit on mine dialed in I could definitely be on an xl frame instead of large but itís very comfortable still. I had a 100mm rise bar made and now have only about 15mm of spacers under my stem. I find surlyís in general to have very low stack as well. But Iím all leg so that could be it... The sunrise bar is also very nice! I ran them before I got my custom bars.

Thatís no moon.
    Thanks racefit, Muirenn. Iím between sizes usually, small and medium. Height is 5í6Ē, but my cycling inseam is 32Ē. Generally speaking, on a small bike (not a Wednesday) I have to jack up the seat and the bars are usually lower than I like. On a medium, stand over and bar height is ok, but the reach can be too long.

Iím riding a medium Fargo now and the bar height is great. Fargo headtube is pretty generous. Standover is good, but I need a 50mm stem to shorten the reach.

Unfortunately no LBS around me is going to stock multiple sizes of Wednesday to test ride.
    2015 Santa Cruz Tallboy
    2016 Salsa Fargo

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks racefit, Muirenn. Iím between sizes usually, small and medium. Height is 5í6Ē, but my cycling inseam is 32Ē. Generally speaking, on a small bike (not a Wednesday) I have to jack up the seat and the bars are usually lower than I like. On a medium, stand over and bar height is ok, but the reach can be too long.

Iím riding a medium Fargo now and the bar height is great. Fargo headtube is pretty generous. Standover is good, but I need a 50mm stem to shorten the reach.

Unfortunately no LBS around me is going to stock multiple sizes of Wednesday to test ride.
    For reach, do you use a zero offset (straight) seatpost? Or one with offset. If it is offset, that greatly extends the reach. I am 170 cm (5í6.75Ē), and ride a medium Karate Monkey (2018) with Zero offset seatpost. A ton of seatpost showing, and a 45 mm stem with Salsa Bend bars )23 degree offset). Inseam is 33.3Ē. I could certainly lower the saddle 2 inches. Give me a second to upload a picture. The geometry is not greatly different.

This was from my Jones bars days, and before I swapped the seatpost for a zero-offset, but it's not that different. You could easily lower the saddle and have plenty of standover. The only question is whether the reach is okay. Do you have short arms?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Today is WEDNESDAY!-52063714_1736651863107968_2229209127521878016_n.jpg  

Thatís no moon.
    Setback seatpost. I transferred it from my small Kona Unit to my Fargo. But I donít adjust my saddle for reach. I put it where it feels right for my hips and knees over the pedals.
    2015 Santa Cruz Tallboy
    2016 Salsa Fargo

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Setback seatpost. I transferred it from my small Kona Unit to my Fargo. But I donít adjust my saddle for reach. I put it where it feels right for my hips and knees over the pedals.
    Yes, that is how it should be. But the position over the bottom bracket does dictate how far you have to reach.

We are almost the same height. Does that bike look like it would work for you if you lowered the seatpost ~ 2 inches?
    2018 Surly Karate Monkey 'dingle' speed
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

Thatís no moon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Yes, that is how it should be. But the position over the bottom bracket does dictate how far you have to reach.

We are almost the same height. Does that bike look like it would work for you if you lowered the seatpost ~ 2 inches?
    Thanks for posting that. 1-2Ē lower would probably work, and bar height looks good. I guess it depends on the ETT measurement. The geometry tab isnít working on the Surly site. Do you know offhand what it is on this bike?
    2015 Santa Cruz Tallboy
    2016 Salsa Fargo

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for posting that. 1-2Ē lower would probably work, and bar height looks good. I guess it depends on the ETT measurement. The geometry tab isnít working on the Surly site. Do you know offhand what it is on this bike?
    For the medium KM
    Stack 597
    Reach 427
    TT 610
    HTA 69

Wednesday medium
    Reach 436.0
    Stack 587.0
    Head Tube Angle 69.0į
    Effective TT. 610
    Head Tube Length 110.0
    Seat Tube Length 416.0
    BB Drop 55.0
    Wheelbase 1122.0
    Chainstay Length 435.0
    Top Tube Length, Actual 590.0
    Top Tube Length, Effective 610.0
    Seat Tube Angle 73.5į
    Standover Height 774.0
    Stem Length 70
    Stem Angle 7į
    Handlebar Width 750
    Crank Length 175
    Fork Length 468.0
    Fork Rake 47.0

Wednesday Small
    Reach 420.0
    Stack 578.0
    Head Tube Angle 69.0į
    Head Tube Length 100.0
    Seat Tube Length 366.0
    BB Drop 55.0
    Wheelbase 1101.0
    Chainstay Length 435.0
    Top Tube Length, Actual 577.0
    Top Tube Length, Effective 590.0
    Seat Tube Angle 73.5į
    Standover Height 737.0
    Stem Length 60
    Stem Angle 7į
    Handlebar Width 700
    Crank Length 170
    Fork Length 468.0
    Fork Rake 47.0

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Seat tube length in the small Wednesday is only 366. Thatís very short. I had an OG Krampus size small. Seat tube was 385 and I was maxed out with a 410 mm Thompson and a tall Brooks saddle to make up the difference. Thatís why I changed for a medium. If your inseam is 32, only 1.3 inches shorter than mine, I suspect 366 would be a big problem. Maybe to the point where you need a different brand fatbike. 436 is unexpectedly long for a medium.

Thatís no moon.
    Thanks for all that! Same problem different bike, lol. Either jack the seat up and slam it all the way back on a small, or fit a super short stem on a medium. Although the Wednesday looks even longer than other mediums Iíve tried. Definitely need to find one for a test ride. Thanks again.
    2015 Santa Cruz Tallboy
    2016 Salsa Fargo

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for all that! Same problem different bike, lol. Either jack the seat up and slam it all the way back on a small, or fit a super short stem on a medium. Although the Wednesday looks even longer than other mediums Iíve tried. Definitely need to find one for a test ride. Thanks again.
    A thought, the medium Pugsley is in between the small and medium sizing of the Wednesday. In fact, the reach is only 405 mm. It has a steeper HTA, though. Also, the ICT also may fit better, shorter reach. Not as short as the Pugsley, though.

Medium Pugsley
    Reach 405
    Stack 600
    Head Tube Angle 69.5į
    Head Tube Length 130
    Seat Tube Length 427
    BB Drop 65
    Wheelbase 1106.4
    Chainstay Length 460
    Top Tube Length, Actual 573
    Top Tube Length, Effective 600
    Seat Tube Angle 72.0į
    Standover Height 793.5
    Stem Length 80
    Stem Angle 7į
    Handlebar Width 735
    Crank Length 175
    Fork Length 447
    Fork Rake 43

Medium ICT
    Reach 427
    Stack 598
    Head Tube Angle 68į
    Head Tube Length 105
    Seat Tube Length 419
    BB Drop 60
    Wheelbase 1131
    Chainstay Length 440
    Top Tube Length, Actual 573
    Top Tube Length, Effective 610
    Seat Tube Angle 73į
    Standover Height 803
    Stem Length 70
    Stem Angle 7į
    Handlebar Width 780
    Crank Length 175
    Fork Length 483
    Fork Rake 47
    *effective ST angle due to bent ST

Thatís no moon.
    A thought, the medium Pugsley is in between the small and medium sizing of the Wednesday. In fact, the reach is only 405 mm. It has a steeper HTA, though. Also, the ICT also may fit better, shorter reach. Not as short as the Pugsley, though
    Thanks, may look for an ICT to try also. Would want the option of running a suspension fork, so not sure about the Pugsley.
    2015 Santa Cruz Tallboy
    2016 Salsa Fargo

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Anyone know if there are any '19 Wednesdays in stock through QBP's in a medium? Especially the blue one?

I could call my bike shop. But I'm afraid to.
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Anyone know if there are any '19 Wednesdays in stock through QBP's in a medium? Especially the blue one?

I could call my bike shop. But I'm afraid to.
    Plenty in stock. Get one!
    Jason

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Last year I had the LBS add a Mastodon fork to the Wednesday and now I want to switch back to rigid for awhile to mix it up. I assume I'll have to change the lower headset for a straight steerer? Is it bad for the frame keep changing the lower headset?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim_Ky View Post
    Last year I had the LBS add a Mastodon fork to the Wednesday and now I want to switch back to rigid for awhile to mix it up. I assume I'll have to change the lower headset for a straight steerer? Is it bad for the frame keep changing the lower headset?
    The only part that's different is the crown race. Unless your shop took it off, the appropriate crown race should still be attached to your stock rigid fork.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
    The only part that's different is the crown race. Unless your shop took it off, the appropriate crown race should still be attached to your stock rigid fork.
    Thank you CJ. I found the part you mentioned with the fork. I hadn't looked at the fork since I brought it home. It should be a pretty straight forward swap. I think the shop kept the steerer the same length.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    what up Wednesday peeps!!
    so, buildin up a beauty, wonderin on the seatpost clamp. The 33.1 clamp diameter is nearly non-existent. DKG makes a decent lock on type i prefer, wonderin if anyone has tried fitting a 34.9 onto their wednesday though?
    Guys, i ground the cable guides and hanger off my monkey, she's single for life and an unreal beast. This is my first geared bike in 12 years of freakin out surly cycling style and i am so amped to have wheelies on demand. Putting xx1 rainbow style, thomson cockpit with a ti 800 mm thomson riser bar. Building a 29plus wheelset for her first and i got a score on a set of Stans Hugo Rims. Anyone have any experience or input on the longevity of these hoops? Waitin on a few more bits, should be building her out in bout two weeks, i'll post some pics!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I Ďm not wrench enough to get why you are looking at a larger diameter, but Paul Components makes 33.1. Great stuff.

https://www.paulcomp.com/shop/compon...t-post-collar/

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SurlySingleSpeeder View Post
    what up Wednesday peeps!!
    so, buildin up a beauty, wonderin on the seatpost clamp. The 33.1 clamp diameter is nearly non-existent.
    Maybe I am not understanding what you are looking for, but Surly makes a 33.1mm seat clamp that I would have thought came with the frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SurlySingleSpeeder View Post
    The 33.1 clamp diameter is nearly non-existent.
    They're limited, but they're out there. As mentioned, Surly makes one that costs right around $20 in black or silver, and Salsa makes a quick release version in black that runs you about $35. There's the Paul's one mentioned earlier too, and I think they're more expensive - maybe $70? I've not tried to use a different size clamp on a 33.1 sized tube, but I'd imagine the seatpost would have an easier chance to slide if using the wrong size clamp.
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly Lowside

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    i demo'd a kona big honzo cr dl last spring and had a blast on it

i found a set of rekon+ tires on sale for $20 each and couldn't pass them up

i picked up a set of raceface arc 40 rims from crc this summer for $30 each and started scheming

i bought a pair of hope fatsno hubs off pinkbike in september and got to work

Today is WEDNESDAY!-img_0745.jpg

shod with 27.5+ wheels, my wednesday is making her debut a few months early this year. good times

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Original Surly Wednesday Seatpost?

Does anyone have the original seatpost that came with the Surly Wednesday that would want to sell?

It's just all black has a little bit of offset. I think I email Surly a while back and they said that the setpost that is shipped with the bike has about 8mm offset. very little you can hardly tell. Not sure what length I need, I will measure one on my Large Wednesday.

Its probably the same one that ships on the other Surly trail bikes as well. 30.9mm

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Does anyone have the original seatpost that came with the Surly Wednesday that would want to sell?

It's just all black has a little bit of offset. I think I email Surly a while back and they said that the setpost that is shipped with the bike has about 8mm offset. very little you can hardly tell. Not sure what length I need, I will measure one on my Large Wednesday.

Its probably the same one that ships on the other Surly trail bikes as well. 30.9mm
    If you can't find one, this post from CRC's is close. I have no idea what brand Surly uses.
    https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...qg,prmr:1,cs:1
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

mtbr member
    Maybe you already explained this but- why do you need the exact Surly post?
    Iíd sell you a used one if your at a dead end but anticipate you can find one.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Anyone happen to know which width WTB Volt comes on the stock Wednesdays? That saddle is available in 130, 140, and 150 mm sizes.
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Anyone happen to know which width WTB Volt comes on the stock Wednesdays? That saddle is available in 130, 140, and 150 mm sizes.
    The Volt comes in 135, 142 and 150mm.

My small from last winter came with a 135 (it says so on the saddle).

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks. I guess the model I looked at on the WTB website was the carbon version, and the different models come on different sizes.

135, really? Okay, well Iíll get rid of that quickly once I buy a Wednesday. Thatís super narrow.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Thanks. I guess the model I looked at on the WTB website was the carbon version, and the different models come on different sizes.

135, really? Okay, well Iíll get rid of that quickly once I buy a Wednesday. Thatís super narrow.
    I will say that (at least to my rear end) this saddle feels wider than other 135s I've had.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I will say that (at least to my rear end) this saddle feels wider than other 135s I've had.
    Iím female, and that is not happening! If they are wider than normal, the 150 could work. Currently using a 155 mm Specialized Power, and the saddle's surface is too curved. I think.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Has anyone heard if new colors are coming out soon for the Wednesday? I'm very close to buying, but I'd hate to miss the update by days.
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

mtbr member
    Blue Monday is the new color that just came out recently. Not sure if there will be anything else.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Blue Monday is the new color that just came out recently. Not sure if there will be anything else.
    The KM and Bridgeclub have added a lot of new colors but still have the old. The green Bridgeclub just came out a couple of months ago, and yet they released two new colors recently.

Edit: I called Surly, and no new Wednesdayís planned. Also, I asked about Blue Monday, and itís definitely more blue than purple. A lot of pictures look purple. This is good news for me, because I have a purple KM, and two purple bikes is a bit much.

mtbr member
    Never really know with surly. Unless someone on the inside can chime in!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I called Surly, and the guy said no new colors for the Wednesday are planned.

Also, he says Blue Monday definitely looks more blue than purple. Which is good news for me as I have a purple KM, and two very purple bikes would be a little much. At least for me.
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I bought some Surly "Big Fat Larry" (BFL) tires that were being discounted from Universal Cycle. The "Big Fat Larry" is supposedly a 4.7" tire. The tires ended up fitting the Surly Wednesday nicely. At least in a 1x drivetrain system. If you run 2x, I think the front derailleur would prevent the BFL from being in the very front of the horizonal dropout. But on a single speed or a 1x it fits all the way forward.

My first name is "Larry" so I had to see if these tires fit on my Wednesday.

I'll get back with some pictures in a week or so, I am still doing the bike build and waiting on some other parts.

So, if you ever want to know will the "Big Fat Larry" fit on the Surly Wednesday with the My Other Brother Darryl rims in the front position...now you know. (And they fit even if you have 15lbs of pressure in them.)

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Does anyone use a Raceface Next R on their Wednesday?

The Wednesday comes with 175 mm crankarms, and I want 170 mm. It appears to cost as much to replace the arms as it does the entire crankset at the level offered as stock. The Blue one comes with SRAM, and the white and black frames with Raceface, but itís not the Next R, which is the only fatbike crankset listed on the Raceface website.

I really just need new arms, but spending $100 for them when a full crankset is about that much seems a waste, and I really like Raceface.

mtbr member
    Nope. I use the Surly cranks.
    Despite what you may have heard or read (or at least in my case) they are working great as a 2x11.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Does anyone use a Raceface Next R on their Wednesday?

The Wednesday comes with 175 mm crankarms, and I want 170 mm. It appears to cost as much to replace the arms as it does the entire crankset at the level offered as stock. The Blue one comes with SRAM, and the white and black frames with Raceface, but itís not the Next R, which is the only fatbike crankset listed on the Raceface website.

I really just need new arms, but spending $100 for them when a full crankset is about that much seems a waste, and I really like Raceface.
    The stock Raceface crankset is the Aeffect and I think the spindle is fixed on them so you canít just get new arms unfortunately.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks, the Gray Sweatpants and the black builds are Raceface, the Blue Monday is SRAM.

AFFECT would be good.
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

mtbr member
    The blue is also the new base model of eagle. I havenít heard anything bad about the dub standard bb that it has but have heard that eagle has to be perfect to shift properly. Iím not sure what size you are going to get but maybe a small already has 170 cranks? Or a good shop might swap them for you!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hey gents...I have a Surly Wednesday (now Legacy 2017 purchase) that I fitted with SRAM GX Eagle 1x in the front and Raceface 11-50 in the back. I switched tires for the winter from my 3.8" Nates to Flow & Dunder and get some rub in the 50T and almost get some rub in the next ring down. What are my options to fix it? I am going to play with wheel position for starters and can easily avoid the 50T cog for now. I assume it should all fit since the new Wednesday is 1x12 and looks to be the samne geometry.

mtbr member
    Iím guessing itís not a RF 11-50 in the back?
    Likely you meant SRAM? Unless youíve got some vapor ware prototype!
    With a Shimano you can put spacers between the large rings and inside edge of the free hub-push the cassette to the outside. Youíd lose the harder 1-2 gears but would gain the more soft terrain oriented large cogs.

But I just turn my derailleur limiting screw a bit to take those upper cogs out of play.
    Just for the winter. When I really wish I had those uphill cogs? Iím usually lacking traction too so walking a bit isnít so bad.

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thanks Johnny. I was thinking the same...that I really don't nee the two big rear cogs in the winter. I just thought it should all fit based on the bike being compatible with a 4.6" tire. It's a SunRace 11-50 in the rear...my bad.

mtbr member
    Should I replace my Pugsley with a Wednesday? I'm wanting something more trail oriented and a little more "modern" geometry.
    Things I do like, the ability to run 26x4.6/29x3/27.5x4 in one frame. I guess I like the narrower rear end (170/offset 135), and don't need max floatation. Otherwise, uh, I don't have much preference.

My other thought is a custom frame with some weird requirements (that I am still thinking about doing), but a Wednesday might be cheaper and easier....
    Silly bike things happening.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlands R&C View Post
    Should I replace my Pugsley with a Wednesday? I'm wanting something more trail oriented and a little more "modern" geometry.
    Things I do like, the ability to run 26x4.6/29x3/27.5x4 in one frame. I guess I like the narrower rear end (170/offset 135), and don't need max floatation. Otherwise, uh, I don't have much preference.

My other thought is a custom frame with some weird requirements (that I am still thinking about doing), but a Wednesday might be cheaper and easier....
    In Feb of 2017 I did exactly that. I had both at the house for about 5-days before I sold Pugsley. His sister is a great bike. I love everything about it. At the moment the only unexpected hiccup is once I converted to 1x12 I have a little bit of a chainline issue with my 4.6" Dunderbeist on the back, but its not a big deal at all.

Here's the last family photo before I sold off her brother.

Today is WEDNESDAY!-32b9c8cc-d78e-4ed8-8845-80d391f302c2.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Chicken Bones View Post
    Iím guessing itís not a RF 11-50 in the back?
    Likely you meant SRAM? Unless youíve got some vapor ware prototype!
    With a Shimano you can put spacers between the large rings and inside edge of the free hub-push the cassette to the outside. Youíd lose the harder 1-2 gears but would gain the more soft terrain oriented large cogs.

But I just turn my derailleur limiting screw a bit to take those upper cogs out of play.
    Just for the winter. When I really wish I had those uphill cogs? Iím usually lacking traction too so walking a bit isnít so bad.

-JCB
    LBS removed a compression pre-load thingy added some washers and offset my cranks a little to the driveside to get clearance. I need to ride it to see if I even notice the offset. I looks to be about 10mm. I ride flats but am probably going to have them re-center it. Although I do not think I'll feel it, I'm concerned about long-term impact to my hips and knees once I am back to riding longer distances. I'm thinking I'll be happy with 1x10 in the winter like you said.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by homebrewtim View Post
    In Feb of 2017 I did exactly that. I had both at the house for about 5-days before I sold Pugsley. His sister is a great bike. I love everything about it.
    In reading almost all of this thread last night, I did see that you did that. I appreciate your response! What does the Wednesday do for you that the Pugsley wasn't quite as good at? I know the geo is a little different, but not overly dramatic like some bikes. I guess I don't want to replace "like for like", if I go this route, I want it to feel like a much better bike. Which my Pugsley is, it is a good bike, and I like it, but maybe I'm just having old bike syndrome...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    In reading almost all of this thread last night, I did see that you did that. I appreciate your response! What does the Wednesday do for you that the Pugsley wasn't quite as good at? I know the geo is a little different, but not overly dramatic like some bikes. I guess I don't want to replace "like for like", if I go this route, I want it to feel like a much better bike. Which my Pugsley is, it is a good bike, and I like it, but maybe I'm just having old bike syndrome...
    Basically it gave me clearance for bigger tires and the MOBD rims are tubeless compatible. That alone was worth it to me. Now I run 4.6" tires in the winter at 5psi and love it. I use the 3.8" Nates in the Summer. It also "feels" better or more nimble that my Pugsley did. But that is 100% subjective obviously. So far my only limitation (I am now finding) is that with this bike and GX Eagle cranks installed, I am having a chain line issue on my 4.6" tires. My bike came 2x10 and I am now running it 1x12. Also, I upgraded the brakes from whatever came on it (Hayes maybe?) to Shimano Deore hydraulic. I liked the Puglsey Avid mechanical brakes but did not like the Hayes mechanicals on my Wednesday.

I still love this bike. I'm sure there are better spec'd fatbikes out there, but I've been happy on both my Surlys to this point.

mtbr member
    Basically it gave me clearance for bigger tires and the MOBD rims are tubeless compatible. That alone was worth it to me. Now I run 4.6" tires in the winter at 5psi and love it. I use the 3.8" Nates in the Summer. It also "feels" better or more nimble that my Pugsley did. But that is 100% subjective obviously. So far my only limitation (I am now finding) is that with this bike and GX Eagle cranks installed, I am having a chain line issue on my 4.6" tires. My bike came 2x10 and I am now running it 1x12. Also, I upgraded the brakes from whatever came on it (Hayes maybe?) to Shimano Deore hydraulic. I liked the Puglsey Avid mechanical brakes but did not like the Hayes mechanicals on my Wednesday.

I still love this bike. I'm sure there are better spec'd fatbikes out there, but I've been happy on both my Surlys to this point.
    Did you stay on the same size frame for both, i.e. Large for Large?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Did you stay on the same size frame for both, i.e. Large for Large?
    I did. My Pugsley was a Large and my Wednesday is a Large. On a side note, had I known that 4.6" tires would pose an issue with 1x12 (which I had no intention of installing when I bought the bike), I MIGHT consider comparing the ICT and Wednesday, but only if I cold've test-rode them both I think. It's not a huge deal since I use my fat bike year-round and switch out the tires in the Summer for the stock Nates. But I kinda wish Ihad seen the chainline issue coming. I guess I might have just left it 2x10 or 2x11 and that would've solved it too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    LBS removed a compression pre-load thingy added some washers and offset my cranks a little to the driveside to get clearance. I need to ride it to see if I even notice the offset. I looks to be about 10mm. I ride flats but am probably going to have them re-center it. Although I do not think I'll feel it, I'm concerned about long-term impact to my hips and knees once I am back to riding longer distances. I'm thinking I'll be happy with 1x10 in the winter like you said.
    I'm running the stock 10 speed rear cassette on my first-run Wednesday. I put 4.6" Wrathchilds on it last winter, and the chain just barely touched the tire on the small chainring and large cog in the back. I swapped the stock SRAM 2x cranks for Surly OD 2x 100mm BB cranks, and have decent tire-to-chain clearance in the small/big chainring/cog combo.

I'm surprised that you get tire rub with your 1x crank and a 12 speed cassette. I looked up the chainline on your crank, it is a mm or two wider than the small ring on my OD crank. Are 12 speed cassettes much wider than 10? I found one reference online saying that 11 speed cassettes are 1.8mm wider. I can't find any dimensions for 12 speed cassettes, but I can't imagine that with the wider position of the front chainring that you have, that moving the chain in a few mm more in the back (chain on the largest of the 12 cogs) would cause tire rub.

I guess I'll stick with my 2x10 drivetrain!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'm running the stock 10 speed rear cassette on my first-run Wednesday. I put 4.6" Wrathchilds on it last winter, and the chain just barely touched the tire on the small chainring and large cog in the back. I swapped the stock SRAM 2x cranks for Surly OD 2x 100mm BB cranks, and have decent tire-to-chain clearance in the small/big chainring/cog combo.

I'm surprised that you get tire rub with your 1x crank and a 12 speed cassette. I looked up the chainline on your crank, it is a mm or two wider than the small ring on my OD crank. Are 12 speed cassettes much wider than 10? I found one reference online saying that 11 speed cassettes are 1.8mm wider. I can't find any dimensions for 12 speed cassettes, but I can't imagine that with the wider position of the front chainring that you have, that moving the chain in a few mm more in the back (chain on the largest of the 12 cogs) would cause tire rub.

I guess I'll stick with my 2x10 drivetrain!
    Hey CJ...the reason I actually went 1x12 was I decided to pick up shorter cranks. I figured 1x12 would be simpler. FWIW it shifts awesome and looks great.

As for the cassette width. I have my bike back in my LBS to re-center the crank. The guy working on it told me part of the problem is the 12-speed cassette sits further inboard/towards the free hub than a 10-speed. He also believes that 177 rear spacing bikes were designed around 2x10. I also I figured out thru some research into ovals that SRAM GX cranksets have a negative offset which also drives the chainline towards that tire.

If I had known all of this, I'd have probably looked at 1x or 2x11 when I swapped out my crankset. I may switch it up next year. My cranks were chosen because of limited mobility I hope to have solved by next summer. So I may be in the market to update it all. We'll see. For now, I am pretty sure I can live with 1x10 in the winter and just not use the two larges cassette cogs until summer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Hey CJ...the reason I actually went 1x12 was I decided to pick up shorter cranks. I figured 1x12 would be simpler. FWIW it shifts awesome and looks great.

As for the cassette width. I have my bike back in my LBS to re-center the crank. The guy working on it told me part of the problem is the 12-speed cassette sits further inboard/towards the free hub than a 10-speed. He also believes that 177 rear spacing bikes were designed around 2x10. I also I figured out thru some research into ovals that SRAM GX cranksets have a negative offset which also drives the chainline towards that tire.

If I had known all of this, I'd have probably looked at 1x or 2x11 when I swapped out my crankset. I may switch it up next year. My cranks were chosen because of limited mobility I hope to have solved by next summer. So I may be in the market to update it all. We'll see. For now, I am pretty sure I can live with 1x10 in the winter and just not use the two larges cassette cogs until summer.
    Yeah, with 10, 11, and 12 speeds, the small cog is in the same location, the cassettes have just grown in width toward the center of the wheel. From 11 speed and on, the larger cogs actually overhang the hub flange. I'd really like to find out how much wider the 12 speed cassettes are than 10, but I can't find that info anywhere.

I run Vee Snowshoe 2XL tires on my Ice Cream Truck in the winter. I had to remove 1 cog and spacer from the cassette, and install a thicker spacer (used one from an old 7 speed cassette) behind it in order to avoid tire rub in the lowest gear. When I'm crawling along on soft powder with those giant meats, I'm only likely to use the lowest 2-3 gears, so I don't miss the small cog I removed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Makes sense cjbiker. Right now I'm just not using my two lowest gears and will see how it does in the snow. I figure if I need the 30x42 or 30x50, it must be steep and I'm likely to lose traction anyway. We'll see what winter brings.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Makes sense cjbiker. Right now I'm just not using my two lowest gears and will see how it does in the snow. I figure if I need the 30x42 or 30x50, it must be steep and I'm likely to lose traction anyway. We'll see what winter brings.
    I use the 22x36 on the ICT all the time. That's about the same as your 30x50. But I'm slow. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I use the 22x36 on the ICT all the time. That's about the same as your 30x50. But I'm slow. YMMV.
    I'm slow too..I guess I'll find out. This whole issue could send me back to 2x unless another crank/chainring out there provides more clearance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Circling back on Monkey Nuts v3....they are sold a piece. I am giving them a shot. Do I want 2 of them like the older versions? I have a Snugnut, Ive tried a Tuggnut (had it on my Puglsey). I like the idea of even spacing on both dropouts, but maybe I'm overthinking it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Circling back on Monkey Nuts v3....they are sold a piece. I am giving them a shot. Do I want 2 of them like the older versions? I have a Snugnut, Ive tried a Tuggnut (had it on my Puglsey). I like the idea of even spacing on both dropouts, but maybe I'm overthinking it.
    I'm using some custom pieces I got from a member here that do the same thing. I'd recommend using 2.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018

Snow Tires

Coming up to my 1 year anniversary with the Wednesday. I absolutely love this bike! After winter got over here in Michigan, I put a set of 29r's on it (good advice from JCB!!!) and cruised the gravel roads all season. Like having 2 bikes in 1.

Now, winter is rearing its ugly head here again, time to put the fatties back on. Last year I ran 4.0 van Helga's and they seem to do fine. To maximize the difference between summer and winter rides though, I'm thinking of going a bit wider. Researching this thread it looks like I can go up to 4.6 and still run my 2 x 10 set up. I also see where folks are running a wider tire on front and leaving the 4.0 on the back. I'm interested in what other snowriders find is a good setup to run both groomed trails and bushwhacking. I did install monkey nuts for my 29er so I do have a pair of those.

Happy Wednesday!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Today is WEDNESDAY!-20191102_113242.jpg  

Last edited by Dogbros; 2 Days Ago at 07:16 AM. Reason: add photo

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Flow and Dunder are great in the snow, tubeless on my Wednesday. I had just enough clearance in the largest ring when I ran OEM 2x10 with them on my large frame.

mtbr member
    I could be talked into selling a set of flo/duns if anyone wants to try them out.
    Im looking to go studded this year.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213