Surlys and kiddo trailer- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2012

Surlys and kiddo trailer

So I got a Chariot trailer from CL..

I have a CC SS and Pugsley. Would like to potentially pull the trailer with either bike. What are the tips for trailer pulling with either bikes?

The CC SS I have it setup with a QR skewer. My feeling is the combination of SS+QR+Trailer coupling will not work well. What say you?

The pugsley's rear drop out has a deep lip. My understanding is this lip will interfere with the trailer's ball coupling.

mtbr member
    I have a Pugs and Chariot as well. The hood on the dropout doesn't get in the way too much. You won't have a problem using the Pugs to pull the Chariot.

The CC on the other hand might be a different story. SS+trailer will be quite a load. You're knees might be the weak link

My kids always ask me to pull them with the Pugs. They think the fat tires are cool. They get no argument from me. Pulling the trailer isn't about speed.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Hmm my only reservation about the pug is that those massive tire lugs will throw all kinds of crap at the kid.

The CC + rear fender will reduce the debris field greatly.

I've pulled my Chariot with a SS. Low MTB gearing of 33x17 (26" wheel). Was a grunt up the hills, but I guess the kids enjoyed that "yo-yo" effect between pedal strokes. Gears is the way to go with trailers, unless you are living in KS or FL.

But I haven't pulled the trailer with my Pugs. I may have to pull the axle back to get the "hitch receiver" on there. I may also file down the hoods, as I see no reason for them.

If you are worried about the tire throwing debris, you could probably get a make shift fender made that goes on the bike or on the trailer itself. Coroplast makes good fenders. Or maybe a motorcycle fender.

mtbr member

There are options

Boogman,

Burley Trailers makes a couple of adapters to work with QR's on hooded dropouts. They are generic in terms that they'll work just fine with your Chariot.

one example:
    Hitch Adapter

Surlys and kiddo trailer-burley-alternitive-quick-release-hitch-adapter-qr-stock.jpg

For Surly bikes with 12mm thru-axles, we offer kits specifically to adapt trailers to those bikes. Robert Axle for Surly

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by boogman View Post
    So I got a Chariot trailer from CL..

I have a CC SS and Pugsley. Would like to potentially pull the trailer with either bike. What are the tips for trailer pulling with either bikes?

The CC SS I have it setup with a QR skewer. My feeling is the combination of SS+QR+Trailer coupling will not work well. What say you?
    I used to pull a burley trailer w/ my Pug and the mildly lame burley hitch qr skewer could not hold the wheel when I braked, but I fixed that w/ a tugnut. Your CC wouldn't have the disk brake issue, but the SS might still give you the same problem w/ speedy startups (if the Chariot QR is as lame as the Burley one was). I hear surly has come out w/ a tugnut designed around the CC forward-facing dropout, could solve any such problems if you do have them.

As the kids aged out of the trailer, I did move it along to another family and switched my pug to an XT skewer that is perfect for holding the wheel in place.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Update: Modified the Cross Check a bit and towed the Chariot successfully a couple times this past weekend.

Modified to 26x20 gearing w/ an added chain tensioner (to reduce load on the rear QR axle).
    Changed from a road length skewer to a mountain skewer, to accommodate the coupler.

For towing a trailer. How much should the skewer go through the adjustment nut? Should it pass through the entire nut?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boogman View Post
    For towing a trailer. How much should the skewer go through the adjustment nut? Should it pass through the entire nut?
    The machinist rule of thumb is that a thread length should be engaged twice the diameter of the thread. Skewers are 5mm so that would be 10mm of engagement, minimum.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Surlys and kiddo trailer-img_1115.jpg

Have been pulling a heavily modified Craigslist purchased Instep kiddie trailer for two seasons with an Ogre and a Pugsley. This came with what seems to be a standard type of non drive side axle mount, pinched on with the QR skewer. I had to grind some relief notches in the stock trailer mount for it to fit the dropouts on the Pugs.

I use the trailer to carry my older Labrador, as she can no longer run far, but loves to swim in the ponds and lakes found on our trail systems. The trailer allows her to go along, as her daughter needs a good run daily or she drives us crazy.

The biggest problem to date with the hitch system stems from hitting trees and stumps with the trailer on tight forested single track, pulling the rear wheel out of the sliding drop outs. Happened twice last year, and lunched a disk rotor that way. This was with a stout steel BOB Skewer clamped very tightly.

I am currently experimenting with a chain stay mounted clamp-on Chariot hitch purchased from BikeTrailerShop.com. This has meant fabricating some parts to adapt the trailer to the receiver on the bike, but it hasn't been to painful, and I think we are almost there. I am hoping to avoid more lunched disk rotors, wheel damage, etc.

Otherwise, the trailer has towed fine on both the Ogre and the Pugs, although the offset on the Pugs is noticeable when choosing a tight line on forested single track. You may not have this problem where you ride.

A super solid skewer seems pretty important for these stock hub hitches.

Cheers
    Kevin