Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819
Results 1,801 to 1,805 of 1805

Thread: Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    [QUOTE=Rob_E;13951054][QUOTE=John Denver;13951051]Per Surly:

Yes, the Deore XT bottom bracket will work on the Troll. Mountain bike threaded bottom brackets are all either 68 or 73mm. For a 68mm shell, you will use three of the 2.5mm spacers that come with the BB (two on the drive side) and for a 73mm bottom bracket, you will just use one 2.5mm spacer (on the drive side), and that will make up the difference.

Right. My only confusion was that in your post about the Deore, I didn't see any mention of "73." You already made it clear that the item description does indicate that it is compatible with a 73mm Bottom Bracket, so you can probably leave that one alone now.
    I am actually only putting it in there for anyone that needs it later if it comes up. I have often found when researching things you find incomplete threads or information that leave holes. So often I go back in to add more content so if someone later was doing research or asking the same questions, there is enough content there for them to figure it out as they go sooner than it took me to figure it all out.

The more content, the easier it is to grasp and comprehend. Now they also would know what to do with those spacers if they stumbled on this thread without having to contact Surly asking, confused at all like I was/am Most of my posts are just back filling content because people are missing mistakes like nobody noticing that the Troll "only" takes 160mm rotors in the back when I posted specs stating I was going to use 180mm's all around. Thankfully Surly caught that one for me.

So just back filling content

It's also easier to read and know what the post is exactly referencing when threads get to be 100 pages long in a few years, and someone wants to read the entire thread to understand the bike and/or history well. People do that. I did that. So a lot of what I am doing is forward thinking. Don't mind the tag.

Be the change you wish to see in the world kind of thing. I have stumbled upon enough dead end threads or threads that could have had more important and useful information, or someone found their answer and never came back to let others know and then they (me) have to recreate the wheel. Just contributing to the "Great Collective" for when we pretend the singularity happens.

You should smile Rob
    Last edited by John Denver; 3 Days Ago at 06:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    John check your math. I paid $500 for a frame thatís I think listed at $650? My memory isnít great and my math was also off a bit. I bought almost everything else from the same shop and also built the bike there. Im sure that helped too. And it was discounted by the distributor because it was last years model. If youíre in Pittsburgh I might be able to help you. Sorry but he doesnít ship

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    John here is an example of a discounted frame. Surly doesnít allow shipping to the customer so youíd have to pickup

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...&category=4342

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_badexample View Post
    John check your math. I paid $500 for a frame thatís I think listed at $650? My memory isnít great and my math was also off a bit. I bought almost everything else from the same shop and also built the bike there. Im sure that helped too. And it was discounted by the distributor because it was last years model. If youíre in Pittsburgh I might be able to help you. Sorry but he doesnít ship
    Yes...I had a brain fart on the math. I still can't come anywhere close to getting a new frame for that price. I still don't know how they could not eat their margin completely, AND lose at that price. Not logical.

If I could pick up a new Surly frame for $500, then it's a done deal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_badexample View Post
    John here is an example of a discounted frame. Surly doesnít allow shipping to the customer so youíd have to pickup

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...&category=4342
    It doesn't mention what "year" that one is though. My first question would be, "is that the latest model?" Not saying that one isn't, but it doesn't mention it. You have to becareful on what year you pick up, because the newest frameset was updated I "think" in 2017 with the new rack mounting attachments added, and whether the bike is suspension corrected or not. That bike is suspension corrected, so it is the latest model.

I can get that one local for $595. But I haven't seen the Lime Soup Green one for that price. Only the black frames.
    Last edited by John Denver; 2 Days Ago at 05:28 PM.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Members who have read this thread: 122