Surly Straggler- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Surly Straggler

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Surly Straggler

Holy crap, this is what I've been waiting for. Basically a disc Cross Check? The rear dropouts are nutty!

This will replace my CC, 100%

Surly Straggler-surly-bikes-saddle-drive-7.jpg

Surly Straggler-999987_498717473544604_2074201417_n.jpgSurly Straggler-img_1114.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Straggler-surly-bikes-saddle-drive-12.jpg  

mtbr member
    Needs two mounting points on the rear for rack and fenders, but other than that looks pretty awesome.

EDIT: NVM, I see in this pic that there is another point on the seat stay further up. Nice!

"Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Yep, this bike is looking damm near perfect!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    That subdued green is so much nicer than the sparkle pony purple.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    (Jumping up and down) I want sparkle pony, I want sparkle pony!

Anyway, it will be a good combo with my purple Troll.

mtbr member
    I like the reported taller head tube, but otherwise I have no interest in this over my CC. The CC's dropouts allow easy single speed gear changes, without adjusting the brakes, which look like a big PITA with this frame. Then again, I don't really see the need for discs outside wet or snowy mountain biking.
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    If I was looking for a brand new bike, I might consider this... the biggest reason for the disc brakes to me has nothing to do with breaking power... but it's easier to put the wheel in and out with discs than my Tektro 720 canti's. I need to loosten the straddle wire or deflate my tire to remove the wheel with my breaks. They work well, but it's a bit of a hassle. But not enough reason to replace it. Besides, I LOVE my Blark Due CC. The CC has had some of Surly's best colors over the years.

Now the new blue Pugs I have my eye on..... or maybe a champagne moonlander.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I already said this in a different thread, but its worth repeating. The Cross Check is perfect just the way it is. So I don't really see what this bike brings, except that it sates the disc-crazy masses that have been bugging Surly for a bike like this for years. Admittedly, it is a pretty bike and I'd totally get one over the Vaya or the Disc Trucker, if I ever need a heavier and more complicated braking system than one I currently have. And if it gets more people on Surly's, I'm all for it.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bolandjd View Post
    I already said this in a different thread, but its worth repeating. The Cross Check is perfect just the way it is. So I don't really see what this bike brings, except that it sates the disc-crazy masses that have been bugging Surly for a bike like this for years. Admittedly, it is a pretty bike and I'd totally get one over the Vaya or the Disc Trucker, if I ever need a heavier and more complicated braking system than one I currently have. And if it gets more people on Surly's, I'm all for it.
    Yeah but... IT'S PINK AND SPARKLY!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Gonna be near impossible for me to call this the Straggler instead of the disc Cross Check!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I already said this in a different thread, but its worth repeating. The Cross Check is perfect just the way it is.
    If you don't need Discs so the rest of the world doesn't need them too?
    This a thread *for* and not *against* the Straggler. Go home and stroke your Cross Check.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm excited to see a geometry chart. I loved my old CC but it never fit me quite right. Now that I know what I'm looking for, if this is within my ranges, I might be interested. A forth Surly in my garage wouldn't trigger any sort of "intervention" issues would it?
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    I'm excited to see a geometry chart. I loved my old CC but it never fit me quite right. Now that I know what I'm looking for, if this is within my ranges, I might be interested. A forth Surly in my garage wouldn't trigger any sort of "intervention" issues would it?
    X2 on being super curious a out how the straggler geo compares to the CC. Really hoping for that longer head tube.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    A forth Surly in my garage wouldn't trigger any sort of "intervention" issues would it?
    The desire to own 4 or more Surlys is perfectly normal, I wouldn’t worry about it.

never summer
    Its a good option for those of us in wet climates where disc brakes shine...don't get me wrong some salamander kool-stop pads work pretty good. Plus you can't beat the simplicity. I still havent replaced my CC....it's in the basement bent in half from an F-250. If I don't pick up a Straggler it will be that dark grey CC with some Paul canti's and dingle speed.

Nope, its a good whole number so all bikes have a stable mate.
    Fargo Ti + Moonlander + Necro Pug + Nature Boy

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DerBergschreck View Post
    If you don't need Discs so the rest of the world doesn't need them too?
    This a thread *for* and not *against* the Straggler. Go home and stroke your Cross Check.
    Dude, relax. I never said I was against the Straggler. In fact, I recall writing that it is a pretty bike and I'm all for it if it gets more people on Surly's. I know why people like disc brakes. I just think they are overestimated, especially on non-mountain bikes. But that's a discussion for a different thread. A Disc Check just strikes me as kind of like a Ford Mustang with automatic transmission - looks the same but dumbed down for the masses. That's my initial reaction. Sorry if its not fanboy enough. But I hope Surly sells lots of Stragglers, and I hope that Stragglers win lots of gravel and CX races. And since Straggler has some geometry changes, I can be smuggly satisfied that the Straggler isn't really a Disc Check anyway. Okay, I'm going to go stroke my Cross Check now, because it is an awesome bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

... and if we just ...

Dude, relax. I never said I was against the Straggler. In fact, I recall writing that it is a pretty bike and I'm all for it if it gets more people on Surly's. I know why people like disc brakes. I just think they are overestimated, especially on non-mountain bikes. But that's a discussion for a different thread. A Disc Check just strikes me as kind of like a Ford Mustang with automatic transmission - looks the same but dumbed down for the masses. That's my initial reaction. Sorry if its not fanboy enough. But I hope Surly sells lots of Stragglers, and I hope that Stragglers win lots of gravel and CX races. And since Straggler has some geometry changes, I can be smuggly satisfied that the Straggler isn't really a Disc Check anyway. Okay, I'm going to go stroke my Cross Check now, because it is an awesome bike.

I think disc brakes are sweet, but I understand why those who prefer a more traditional build choose to avoid them.

I love our Cross Checks, but I'm excited for, (what I feel to be) increased braking power. I just never felt like the stock cantilevers stopped my bike well, even with Kool Stops. Especially when fully loaded coming down a mountain.

I feel like my front disc check is a good compromise for now.

I <3 dirt

Surly Straggler

Hopefully it comes in another color.

mwv
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    When I first saw and heard of this I was certain I would be getting the frame ASAP to replace my new CC. After a cooling off period I am not so sure. Yes, I might have opted for this to begin with. I am more than happy with my linear pull brakes. They are easily equal to my bb7s in stopping power even when wet. I do like the longer head tube but don't know what advantage the new rear drop out provides. I'd personally have to get it powder coated but that is just me. Who knows, maybe after I see one. If anything I think for me a Disc Trucker would better suit my purposes....but I know these are only my purposes and opinions. It's great to have so many viable options from Surly to choose from.

never summer

Surly Straggler

Looks like September for the Straggler.

http://surlybikes.com/blog/post/ta_dah

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mwv View Post
    I am more than happy with my linear pull brakes. They are easily equal to my bb7s in stopping power even when wet.
    Again, different strokes for different folks. But come on, linears are equal to bb7's in wet conditions? I like cantilever brakes, I like disc brakes. But saying that they provide the same stopping power in adverse conditions is just silly.

mwv
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by brdpkns View Post
    Again, different strokes for different folks. But come on, linears are equal to bb7's in wet conditions? I like cantilever brakes, I like disc brakes. But saying that they provide the same stopping power in adverse conditions is just silly.

Mine are. Get whatever you like.

First rim brakes I've had since I was a kid. I pondered for weeks whether I would be happy with them or not. I am more than impressed by how mine are working.

I <3 dirt

Surly Straggler

When I first saw and heard of this I was certain I would be getting the frame ASAP to replace my new CC. After a cooling off period I am not so sure. Yes, I might have opted for this to begin with. I am more than happy with my linear pull brakes. They are easily equal to my bb7s in stopping power even when wet. I do like the longer head tube but don't know what advantage the new rear drop out provides. I'd personally have to get it powder coated but that is just me. Who knows, maybe after I see one. If anything I think for me a Disc Trucker would better suit my purposes....but I know these are only my purposes and opinions. It's great to have so many viable options from Surly to choose from.
    As far as the drop outs go, I've had my fair share of wheel slips while climbing on my CC. These dropouts aren't the prettiest out there but if they function then that's all that matters.

mtbr member
    I think disc brakes are sweet, but I understand why those who prefer a more traditional build choose to avoid them.

I love our Cross Checks, but I'm excited for, (what I feel to be) increased braking power. I just never felt like the stock cantilevers stopped my bike well, even with Kool Stops. Especially when fully loaded coming down a mountain.

I feel like my front disc check is a good compromise for now.

Beautiful bike. I've half considered doing this, but I just upgraded to Kool Stop's and I am liking them thus far. If these were available when I bought my X-Check it would be a no brainer, but there are too many other bikes I want right now instead (to fill gaps the X-Check doesn't cover).

I can't wait to see my first one though. They look sweet. I wonder if Surly is going to start the new paint and I wonder if the Straggler will eventually replace the X-Check (but being that it's not called a Cross Check I doubt it). Looking forward to more cool stuff from Surly!

mwv
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikemtb999 View Post
    As far as the drop outs go, I've had my fair share of wheel slips while climbing on my CC. These dropouts aren't the prettiest out there but if they function then that's all that matters.
    How will these change potential slipping?

I <3 dirt

Surly Straggler

The beginning portion acts like a vertical dropout.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    I saw the info on this, the next day I sold my 1x1 and then went and ordered my disc trucker frameset...

i LOVE the color, the dropouts seem like a logical compromise, but I just couldn't wait... maybe in a while I'll pick one up as I'd love to build a more "roadie" bike and I like the idea of building my entire stable around 135mm disc wheels... so maybe I'll build one of these up eventually with proper drop bars and such...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by singlefin View Post
    Looks like September for the Straggler.

Ta-Dah | Blog | Surly Bikes
    Yea, and despite the urge by Surly to get to your LBS for pre-order....they cannot yet be pre-orderd. ARGH!!! I need to make sure I get one of these as soon as they hit. My cross bike is out of commish for the time being and while commuting and touring on the Pug is fun...I miss drop bars and skinny(ish) tires. Yes, I consider 38c skinny.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaino View Post
    Yea, and despite the urge by Surly to get to your LBS for pre-order....they cannot yet be pre-orderd. ARGH!!! I need to make sure I get one of these as soon as they hit. My cross bike is out of commish for the time being and while commuting and touring on the Pug is fun...I miss drop bars and skinny(ish) tires. Yes, I consider 38c skinny.
    Fat bike living. I love it 38c skinny!
    I still don't understand anyone who rides on anything smaller than 28mms in 2013, hell even racing is stupid on 23 or 25 IMO.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by FatCloud View Post
    I still don't understand anyone who rides on anything smaller than 28mms in 2013, hell even racing is stupid on 23 or 25 IMO.
    I've been loving my 28c tires on my 29er ... parts are moving to a disc trucker here soon though.
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mwv
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Oh. I see how the first diagram would work as a vertical dropout but thought what they did was more like the second diagram. To me it seems it would slip just the same.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Any word on the Axle-To-Crown dimension ?

If it's 400mm I can see CC owners just buying the forks (including me).

mtbr member
    Or you could just buy a current Disc Trucker fork. It's only 10mm shorter, which I would like to drop the CC's bottom bracket a hair.

Quote Originally Posted by theindividualist View Post
    Any word on the Axle-To-Crown dimension ?

If it's 400mm I can see CC owners just buying the forks (including me).
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    How will these change potential slipping?
    I saw something the other day that said the screws can be run from the front or rear of the dropout so they can serve as chain tensioners when running single speed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Amen! Even the pros run 28's in the cobbles. (at least a few teams do)So many great high volume, low rolling resistance tires these days from the likes of Challenge, Grand Bois, and others. Perfect tires for a street-oriented Straggler.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I like that it has the extra eyelets on the fork(hopefully one of these days they add them to the cc fork). I like the longer headtube, I like that it appears to have less toe overlap with big tires. I read it has a lower BB which i'm not excited about(I completely understand why they did it, I just already get enough pedal strike on trails even on 700x45s). I'm not sold on it as a replacement for my cross check just yet. But maybe in addition to......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    Or you could just buy a current Disc Trucker fork. It's only 10mm shorter, which I would like to drop the CC's bottom bracket a hair.
    I'm pretty sure if you looked you could find a front disc fork with the same elements as the X-Check.

A quick type in google, got me this: Vicious Cycles - Forks

mtbr member
    When i took my Cross Check to a disc 2 winters ago, i used a Salsa La Cruz disc fork since it was nearly identical to the Checks stock fork. Rides great and its only a little stiffer than the stock fork.
    Alea Jacta Est

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Hopefully it comes in another color.
    It will

Yea, and despite the urge by Surly to get to your LBS for pre-order....they cannot yet be pre-orderd. ARGH!!!
    Sure it can. Have your LBS check the "Specials and Programs" part of the QBP online. It'll be easier to get if your LBS pre-orders a few more to stock though.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    But saying that they provide the same stopping power in adverse conditions is just silly.
    Ok, I'm enough of a newbie to ask here.... why is that such a given? Basic physics says that you need to apply significantly less clamping force at the rim than at the disc to provide the same amount of breaking power. Or, in other words, to equal the rim brakes, the disc brakes have to work HARDER.

I have a Big dummy with disc brakes; stops pretty well even fully loaded. I have a cross-check with canti's which does the same... provided I have my hands in the drops and have a good position to pull the brake levers. The only trouble I have with the canti's is when I'm riding on the hoods, and the problem there is hand mechanics and not the brakes.

mtbr member
    Hoping to sell my 1x1 and possibly pick up one of these maybe.

mtbr member
    I gotta say, the Straggler is pretty tempting to set-up as a SS commuter with a flat or upright bar. But I go through this every year with the new Surlys. Ever since the DT came out I've been threatening to put a DT fork on my LHT. I'm already thinking of doing the same for my CC. I've got a brand new Pass & Stow rack in a box that would likely mount up perfect on my CC with a Straggler fork. That'll likely be my winter project. Maybe with a new rear fixed wheel...
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by evandy View Post
    Ok, I'm enough of a newbie to ask here.... why is that such a given? Basic physics says that you need to apply significantly less clamping force at the rim than at the disc to provide the same amount of breaking power. Or, in other words, to equal the rim brakes, the disc brakes have to work HARDER.

I have a Big dummy with disc brakes; stops pretty well even fully loaded. I have a cross-check with canti's which does the same... provided I have my hands in the drops and have a good position to pull the brake levers. The only trouble I have with the canti's is when I'm riding on the hoods, and the problem there is hand mechanics and not the brakes.
    Exactly. With cantis on 700c rims, you get an effective disc diameter of 622+ mm. On 26" wheels with cantis, you get an effective diameter of 559+ mm. Compare that to the 160mm size of regular disc brake discs. Much less pressure is needed at the brake pads on rim brakes than on disc brakes. Basic physics.

My KM with 160 mm discs stops great. But so does my CC with cantis, even considering the hand mechanics. My old Peugeot Crazy Horse stops great too with its 26 in wheels and cantis.

The practical difference between the two brake systems seems to be the ability to keep the braking surface free of contamination. Disc brakes are up high, out of the muck, and likely to stay cleaner. That can be important on a mountain bike.

Jan Heine has an interesting comparison between rim and disc brakes in the summer '13 issue of Bicycle Quarterly. He has a randonneur's perspective on this, not a mountain biker's, but his comments are still applicable.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinymouse View Post
    Exactly. With cantis on 700c rims, you get an effective disc diameter of 622+ mm. On 26" wheels with cantis, you get an effective diameter of 559+ mm. Compare that to the 160mm size of regular disc brake discs. Much less pressure is needed at the brake pads on rim brakes than on disc brakes. Basic physics.
    Why should I care how much pressure is needed at the brake pads or how hard my brakes need to work? All I care about is how easily (read: with minimal hand effort) I can apply and modulate my brakes.

It strikes me as bizarre to ever say the problem could be 'hand mechanics and not the brakes' - the whole point of bicycle brakes is to work effectively in one's hands. If the brakes don't get the job done, whatever kind they are, it's the brakes' fault, every time.

EDIT: And if two types of brakes can equally 'get the job done' (i.e. stop or slow the bike as I see fit), then the one which requires less effort at the lever is better.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by EastCoast View Post
    It strikes me as bizarre to ever say the problem could be 'hand mechanics and not the brakes' - the whole point of bicycle brakes is to work effectively in one's hands. If the brakes don't get the job done, whatever kind they are, it's the brakes' fault, every time.
    Perhaps I can state it better... the only problem I've ever had with canti's is when I'm riding on the hoods... and that's an issue of the brake levers themselves, not the brakes; hence my comment about hand mechanics. When I finally get around to putting cross-top levers on my CC I'll have a more apples to apples comparison than cantis +road levers and discs + mountain levers. And, again, when in the drops I don't have any issues.

I can totally see why MTBers would prefer swapping out a disc instead of a rim, since I expect the mud && grit can wear through rims on linear-pull brake equipped brakes. And there's a definite advantage to being able swap out a fully-inflated tire without needing to disconnect rim brakes (much less an issue with linear-pull since disconnecting the noodle is so easy). As mentioned, I have a disc-brake equipped bike too, and I'm fine with them. But I am always surprised to hear so many people state that the benefit of disc brakes is better stopping power; especially the mechanical ones. Hydro brakes bring a whole other set of physics to the party.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    So any speculation as to how much a frameset will be?
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by donalson View Post
    It would be great if it stayed around the same as the DT but I imagine it might be more expensive given the XD coat or whatever it's called. We'll know soon enough. Hopefully Surlys will remain cheaper than Salsas.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinymouse View Post
    The practical difference between the two brake systems seems to be the ability to keep the braking surface free of contamination. Disc brakes are up high, out of the muck, and likely to stay cleaner. That can be important on a mountain bike.
    I must be doing it wrong, I've been struggling w/ my one bike w/ discs for 5 yrs now and they are insanely finicky, and when it is PNW wet out (9 months of the year) they squeal even worse (when it's dry they just squeal the first few brakings of an outing, but when it's wet they never stop). I know I'm the only person in the world w/ this problem, I have 2 coworkers w/ disc commuters and there's don't squeal like mine. I have replaced the pads, the calipers, and the discs, everything but the frame of the bike and its fork. Drives me crazy, makes me not ride the bike.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg View Post
    I must be doing it wrong, I've been struggling w/ my one bike w/ discs for 5 yrs now and they are insanely finicky, and when it is PNW wet out (9 months of the year) they squeal even worse (when it's dry they just squeal the first few brakings of an outing, but when it's wet they never stop). I know I'm the only person in the world w/ this problem, I have 2 coworkers w/ disc commuters and there's don't squeal like mine. I have replaced the pads, the calipers, and the discs, everything but the frame of the bike and its fork. Drives me crazy, makes me not ride the bike.
    what brand are you using?... I had some sequel issues when I had some tektro hydros and I know certain avid hydros have that issue... can't recall ever having that issue on my bb7's or my shimano hydros
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    $550

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    what brand are you using?... I had some sequel issues when I had some tektro hydros and I know certain avid hydros have that issue... can't recall ever having that issue on my bb7's or my shimano hydros
    I switched form hayes mechanicals to avid mechanicals. I am thinking it is the steel frame and fork, that's all I have left, they might be too flexible for the strength of the calipers grabbing the discs? I can try to close the calipers even tighter but they are pretty much at their limit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    My BB7 Roads squeel like a banshee, and they have the whole time I've owned them. I even let my mechanic borrow the bike for a few days to ride it around and try stuff out; they are adjusted just fine. He put a little lube on the pads, and that reduced the squeeling for a while, but the cat came back the very next day.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Surly Straggler

Quote Originally Posted by SocratesDiedTrolling View Post
    My BB7 Roads squeel like a banshee, and they have the whole time I've owned them. I even let my mechanic borrow the bike for a few days to ride it around and try stuff out; they are adjusted just fine. He put a little lube on the pads, and that reduced the squeeling for a while, but the cat came back the very next day.
    And my BB7Road brakes (both versions) are silent 99% of the time. Been using them since the day they were released and on many different bikes.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    And my BB7Road brakes (both versions) are silent 99% of the time. Been using them since the day they were released and on many different bikes.
    Teach me your magic. As I said, mine have been squeelers since the word 'go'. I'm used to it, but it can be embarrassing on group rides. I have had people genuinely pleading with me to fix my brakes. They work fine, and I've had multiple great mechanics say they are adjusted just fine and all. They are just noisy as hell.

mtbr member
    Been thinking about disc brakes since this thread. I SLAMMED on the brakes a few times today rocking down the Berkeley hills and rim brakes work really well. I think there is just a sex appeal to disc brakes!

Also Bike Snob had a great point about "gravel bikes" and how they are just cyclocross bikes, but a marketing gimmick for something else "you need" (albeit, I don't think anyone is going to try to REALLY race on these, there are such better options out there for racing).

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Been thinking about disc brakes since this thread. I SLAMMED on the brakes a few times today rocking down the Berkeley hills and rim brakes work really well. I think there is just a sex appeal to disc brakes!

Also Bike Snob had a great point about "gravel bikes" and how they are just cyclocross bikes, but a marketing gimmick for something else "you need" (albeit, I don't think anyone is going to try to REALLY race on these, there are such better options out there for racing).
    I'm not looking to race a Straggler, though it will likely happen once or twice. I mainly just want something that isn't quite a full-on MTB, designed with drops in mind, and can fit fat rubber. My current cross bike maxes out at 700x38 and I'm looking to also replace it with something that can be set up single speed without a tensioner.

And disc brakes are just a given for me. One major reason - this bike will be ridden year-round. They tend to use a good bit of salt on the roads around here and one winter of commuting is just about enough to ruin a pair of rims if you're running rim brakes. Not a problem with discs. Not to mention rain and mud performance.

Surly Straggler

Teach me your magic. As I said, mine have been squeelers since the word 'go'. I'm used to it, but it can be embarrassing on group rides. I have had people genuinely pleading with me to fix my brakes. They work fine, and I've had multiple great mechanics say they are adjusted just fine and all. They are just noisy as hell.
    I can not count the number of shop mechanics I have shown how to adjust BB7s.

My procedure:
    http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum...tml#post523038
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    When will the KNARD 700x41 tire be available?

For your health.
    I can not count the number of shop mechanics I have shown how to adjust BB7s.

My procedure:
    Mechanical road discs other than Avid
    How does that stop squealing? Not bad instructions, were they relevant.

Surly Straggler

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Steve Brule View Post
    How does that stop squealing? Not bad instructions, were they relevant.
    Misalignment and misadjustment are contributing factors.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Some more Straggler info:

$550 frameset MSRP
    $1850 complete bike MSRP

September availability for both framesets & completes

Colors: Glitter Dreams, Black (both colors available on framesets & completes)

Sizes: 42, 46, 50, 52, 54, 56, 58, 60, 62, 64 (!!)

No word on geometry yet. I'm eager to see it!

mtbr member
    +1 - I've only used the MTB BB7s but have done so for over 10yrs. Mine are quiet other than when wet. Wet - squealing which stops when they dry out.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    The Straggler looks great. I'm looking for an IGH friendly commuter bike.

I need to buy a new FS MTB first, but the Straggler seems like a good option to keep on deck.

Although I'd need to budget for some new Sparkle Pony decals.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by keevohn View Post
    Some more Straggler info:

$550 frameset MSRP
    $1850 complete bike MSRP

September availability for both framesets & completes

Colors: Glitter Dreams, Black (both colors available on framesets & completes)

Sizes: 42, 46, 50, 52, 54, 56, 58, 60, 62, 64 (!!)

No word on geometry yet. I'm eager to see it!

Really? So the complete is more $ than an All City Macho Man disc, but the frameset for the Straggler is cheaper. And if the Macho Man comes with 105 and the Straggler with Tiagra (based on pictures) then that doesn't make the Straggler complete a very good deal.

Waiting to see what Surly releases for complete specs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    That's pretty expensive for complete... At least here where I have to pay same in euros. Tiagra and CroMo is rarely this expensive, right? Assuming that's how it'll be.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Usually Surly's completes are a competitive price, so I'd think that price is not right.

Raleigh Roper - 105 - msrp $1499
    Specialized Steel Tricross Elite - Tiagra - mrsp $1650
    (no, those prices and spec aren't backwards, Specialized is just sort of.... "special".... in there pricing)

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Yeah, I'm not too keen on that price-point. I'm not paying $2k for a bike with Tiagra. Although, we're all still speculating anyway, right? I mean, it could come out with 105 or be a less expensive msrp.

Potential bummer.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yeah, I'm not too keen on that price-point. I'm not paying $2k for a bike with Tiagra. Although, we're all still speculating anyway, right? I mean, it could come out with 105 or be a less expensive msrp.

Potential bummer.
    I was ready to drop some cash off to the LBS for one today, but on this news I'm somewhat hesitant, especially since they don't have an MSRP yet. They were guestimating somewhat lower than what was posted above.

I'm going to have to wait on some type of build specs before I pull the trigger. I wasn't expecting something super cheap, especially given the ED coating, but I was expecting it to come in under the All-City MM Disc.

Ride Everything

Re: Surly Straggler

Have you considered the Salsa Vaya?
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'd go with the All-City Macho Man Disc over the Vaya. But neither of those can be setup singlespeed without a tensioner.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    My LBS quoted MSRP based on QBP pre-order information. Who knows what they'll actually sell for...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    So is there actually a geometry sheet out for this? I would think they should if they are asking for preorders, I wouldn't want to order unless I could see those specifics, especially since they have changed some things compared to the CC, slightly longer Headtube and lower BB I think were good ideas, though I've liked the ride and fit of my cross check since I've had it, since 2001(bean green)

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    So... no military green straggler?

Ride Everything
    I'll see if I can scare up the Straggler's geo.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Charlie is taking preorders.

Price is quite high with those parts. Especially before any geometry info.

Hope they release the geometry etc. soon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    CC is available for £799 in some shops, and I can't even tell is there anything I absolutely prefer on the Straggler, considering what sort of bikes they are.

mtbr member
    This bike looks like it meets all my current wants/needs in a new bike. I just hope it stays in a somewhat affordable price range and has at least one or two more color options. I'd hate to pass on this just because its purple but...I would.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hologram View Post
    Charlie is taking preorders.

Price is quite high with those parts. Especially before any geometry info.

Hope they release the geometry etc. soon.
    Very hard sell at that price point based on the information that we've been given. It either needs to have much better components or be a lot cheaper.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BravoNacho View Post
    This bike looks like it meets all my current wants/needs in a new bike. I just hope it stays in a somewhat affordable price range and has at least one or two more color options. I'd hate to pass on this just because its purple but...I would.
    It is available in black as well, confirmed by my LBS.

That said, I'm waiting on Surly to put out the build specs. All the recent pics point to a Tiagra build, but the MSRP points to 105.

If the complete is more money than the Macho Man disc (which comes with 105) but is all Tiagra, then I'll be doing the frameset option. If I want Tiagra, I can just swap that over from my existing cross bike...which I paid (brand new) ~1k for and came with Tiagra STI's and a 105 derailleur.

I'd really like to get a complete and save myself some hassle, but Surly, if you're putting Tiagra on at this price point, I think you might be making a bad move.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Just ordered the Frameset from my LBS. Knad tires weren't available yet so I'm gonna wait a couple weeks and have them order me some parts for the build. I'm not sure on some of the parts for the build but I have some time to plan it out. I plan to ride it around the city and from my house to trail heads then get a few miles of trail riding in, Gonna try SS for a while and see if I can tough it out.

mtbr member
    It is available in black as well, confirmed by my LBS.

That said, I'm waiting on Surly to put out the build specs.
    I'd really like to get a complete and save myself some hassle, but Surly, if you're putting Tiagra on at this price point, I think you might be making a bad move.
    Sweet! I think I'm gonna wait it out for a bit. I'd like to see what else comes out at Interbike before I make any commitments. I heard that there will be some new GGs released this year. I'm also hoping for something with a slightly smaller price tag.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Edited: Looks like Tiagra group has the shift cable coming out on the inside. So, looks like a Tiagra group on Surly's pre-order page picture as well.

All the prices on the new models seem to say "what the hell?" Not sure what Surly is thinking, but it does not make me gravitate towards another of their bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Surly has the geometry figures available:

https://surlybikes.com//uploads/down...14_catalog.pdf

Geometry:

Frame Specs:

Complete Bike Specs:

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Womp Womp

Ride Everything
    Stem is listed as 26.0 yet bars are 31.8?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle01 View Post
    Edited: Looks like Tiagra group has the shift cable coming out on the inside. So, looks like a Tiagra group on Surly's pre-order page picture as well.

All the prices on the new models seem to say "what the hell?" Not sure what Surly is thinking, but it does not make me gravitate towards another of their bikes.
    It's tough because this year there are a lot of these kind of bikes coming out. Raleigh, Specialized and GT are all offering new and similar products. Plus you have existing bikes like the All City Macho Man disc. The Straggler looks great but it's just too expensive for what you are getting.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    It's tough because this year there are a lot of these kind of bikes coming out. Raleigh, Specialized and GT are all offering new and similar products. Plus you have existing bikes like the All City Macho Man disc. The Straggler looks great but it's just too expensive for what you are getting.
    Yea, I'm going the frameset route for those reasons. I can swap pretty much everything over from my existing 'cross rig. Though I'm leaning towards setting it up with non-STI levers, going with a bar end shifter, and going 1x10.

Just need a new bottom bracket, 10 speed bar end shifter, 10 speed cassette, brake levers, and a headset.

mtbr member
    61cm TT on the 60cm frame? Seems sorta long for that size bike.

mtbr member
    Although it's nice that the fork is the same as the CC. I'll likely order one soon to put on my CC.

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    I'm out, those top tube lengths are outttttttt therrrrrrrre. I might as well build up another KM.

never summer

Surly Straggler

Quote Originally Posted by ScaryJerry View Post
    I'm out, those top tube lengths are outttttttt therrrrrrrre. I might as well build up another KM.
    On the Staggler?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Wow, Surly saw fit to mess with the already long top tube of the CrossCheck and made it longer on 52cm and up, slightly shorter on 50 and down. And to top it off they only increased the head tube length by a wopping 5mm on some of the larger frames, nothing on the midget 91mm length of the smaller frames. And they say they listen to there customer's input huh?

I'm really starting to puzzled by the price tag vs. spec and the geometry "improvements".

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Seeing the complete spec's I'm glad I opted to order the frame only. I'm going to have a much nicer build for about the same price (within 100 bucks) of the stock complete. Regardless, I'm really excited to build this bike and start putting in a lot of miles on road/gravel/trails and everything in between.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle01 View Post
    Wow, Surly saw fit to mess with the already long top tube of the CrossCheck and made it longer on 52cm and up, slightly shorter on 50 and down. And to top it off they only increased the head tube length by a wopping 5mm on some of the larger frames, nothing on the midget 91mm length of the smaller frames. And they say they listen to there customer's input huh?

I'm really starting to puzzled by the price tag vs. spec and the geometry "improvements".
    Yeah those head tubes should be increased by at least an INCH on every size. More would be welcome. I think all the Surly guys have super long arms.

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    Ideally, I'd be interested in the straggler if they kept the TT lengths and BB drop of the CrossCheck and bumped the headtube up 25-30mm. The last thing I need is a longer top tube and an inconsequential increase in headtube height. I understand it's fine to use a big stack of spacers, but really, who's going to be slamming the stem on this thing and complaining they can't get enough drop??!

mtbr member
    Glad some of y'all think the geo is a little wack as well. I was eyeballing the Straggler hard to replace my undersized 62cm Soma Double Cross. Thinking to upsize to the 66cm Soma or the 64cm Straggler but think seeing the final geo charts tipped me towards the Soma. I can fit on the Soma with 0-10mm of spacers without a 0 degree stem or the Surly with 40-50mm of steertube spacers.

64cm top tube is ridiculous as well, guess I'd do a road bike fit with a 90mm stem. And the low bottom bracket given that I use 180mm cranks and already had to tweak my geometry with a taller fork w/more rake to get less BB drop on my Soma. Guess I'll see how they price out, one thing is for sure, that the Surly will be a completely different ride from my existing cross bike.

mtbr member
    Ideally, I'd be interested in the straggler if they kept the TT lengths and BB drop of the CrossCheck and bumped the headtube up 25-30mm. The last thing I need is a longer top tube and an inconsequential increase in headtube height. I understand it's fine to use a big stack of spacers, but really, who's going to be slamming the stem on this thing and complaining they can't get enough drop??!
    When I see a tall stack of spacer it makes me feel like the rider bought the wrong size of bike. Looks sloppy IMO but I guess thats what Surly goes for speccing such low headtube heights rather than something realistic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Was really looking forward to the geo chart on this, but now honestly looking forward to seeing the new Vassago Fisticuff or building a Cross Check instead.

mtbr member
    I'm thinking I may re-purpose my old chum-bucket red KM into drop bar service. So close, Surly...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    how can this frame be the "most fun" bike ever? How much effective difference is there from riding a CC? is it just the big tires?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    My thoughts exactly! I cannot figure out why they would have gone that way..... C'mon guys!

mtbr member
    Thinking more over this and thinking if the price is right I might snag a 64cm version of this. I can deal with headtube spacers, seems like a crappy design but it's no more spacers than I'm running on my 62cm Soma Double Cross; was just hoping to upsize bikes for less spacers and a longer toptube, one solution of which the Straggler solves.

Only issue might be the brake cable routing under the top-tube getting in the way during the occasional cyclocross race. Not sure why Surly didnt move the caliper inside the rear triangle and provide for downtube brake cable routing.

Here's how Salsa does it on the new Double Cross Disc, shifter cables down the bottom side of the downtube like a standard road/cross bike, brake cable down the top side of the downtube, across the bb and along the top of the NDS chainstay.

A God Without A Name
    It's killing me because I am on the fence between this and the Double Cross Disc.

the 540 mm top tube on the 52 is great for me. But I'm built like a monkey. the standover is gently pushing it for me. with a cycling inseam at 29.5 I'm sure I can live with that extra inch.

either one gets built flat bar for a year or so. until I find affordable Hydraulic Aero levers exist.

on the other hand, perhaps I might adapt some 105 brifters to the shimano cx75 brakes.

time will tell.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Longer top tube (and lower BB) - YES!!! Hallelujah, some chance of a decent fit and feet not hitting the front wheel; about time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Longer top tube (and lower BB) - YES!!! Hallelujah, some chance of a decent fit and feet not hitting the front wheel; about time. Not black either...

mtbr member
    Well dang, my LBS quoted a great price for the Straggler that sealed the deal for me. If you're interested in this, call your local Surly dealer and see what they can do for you.

A God Without A Name
    I've talked to everyone with a QBP account in my town (that would be 4 shops.) and none of them can give pricing yet. One actually called QBP and asked.

They know to order me a 52 as soon as they can, though. I can't imagine the frameset costing much more that 500.

mtbr member
    Hmm, maybe it's not supposed to be released yet? My LBS sells a ton of Surly, Salsa, and All City bikes so maybe they've got an inside word from Surly direct and not from QBP?

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    Anyone with a QBP account can you tell you pricing on the new Surly product. Your LBS isn't trying hard enough... In fact, I do believe I quoted the frameset MSRP earlier in this or another thread...

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    $550
    There we are.

A God Without A Name
    Yeah, I moved here from Ogden, Utah (Where one of QBP's offices/warehouses is) to Arcata, California.

The amount of skill and effort I am finding from bike shop employees here is much more impressive. Back in Utah all the local shops had a bunch of either old and disenchanted, Or young and ignorant employees that were simply unwilling to provide customer service. I eventually got down to finding the specific PEOPLE in shops that actually didn't suck (to do a positive name drop, I've found Nate at The Bike Shoppe and Ben at the Ogden Binghams to be skilled, friendly professionals.)

the reason I make that long winded point is that, as good as the shops are here, I am hard pressed to get any answers from any of them. they read the same blogs I do. so they have as much inside info as I do. I generally know more about repair, construction and fit of bicycles than they do; So it gets hard to keep the local shop in the loop. Even when I get good customer service for a bike shop, I'm not getting good customer service. I adore my local shops here in Arcata, but I fight to need them. When the time comes that I have enough money, I'll just buy myself the tools I need to have a bike shop in my garage.

$550, Why is that a question 3 local shops couldn't answer? why can't any of them order it yet?

now that my whining is out of the way...
    My initial build will probably have an alfine 8, Deore hydraulics and a Soma Clarence bar.

that is until drop bar hydraulics become more affordable.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Anyone with a QBP account can you tell you pricing on the new Surly product. Your LBS isn't trying hard enough... In fact, I do believe I quoted the frameset MSRP earlier in this or another thread...
    True story, my LBS was able to confirm that pricing. I've got a frameset on order, swapping over everything from my current commuter/cross bike. Ordered a black one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    True story, I had pricing info and my straggler frameset ordered in under 10 mins at my LBS. They must not want your money.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Agwan View Post
    Yeah, I moved here from Ogden, Utah (Where one of QBP's offices/warehouses is) to Arcata, California.

The amount of skill and effort I am finding from bike shop employees here is much more impressive. Back in Utah all the local shops had a bunch of either old and disenchanted, Or young and ignorant employees that were simply unwilling to provide customer service. I eventually got down to finding the specific PEOPLE in shops that actually didn't suck (to do a positive name drop, I've found Nate at The Bike Shoppe and Ben at the Ogden Binghams to be skilled, friendly professionals.)

Bingham employees always acted bike snobish to me. Matt, Shannon and the others at Skyline has been great to me. Shell true up a wheel or fix something simple for free most of the time. She;s the only one ill let wrench on my bike. Yeah Ive spent a good ammount of $$ in the shop and they know me by name so that probably has something to do with it lol. But still a good group of people

A God Without A Name
    I like Matt. he's good people. but being routinely sold stock on hand instead of what would be good for my needs and then sold on bikes they couldn't get and having parts poorly installed that I could do a better job with (Racks and fenders come to mind)

I like to believe it's me. I have Aspergers so I can seem very obnoxious and condescending at times, And I hope that's why I routinely get not good service in bike shops.

I mean, who wants to help someone if they think he's a prick?

Edit:

I did some measuring on my Soma Groove and the ETT seems to be identical to the 52cm Straggler. So for the time being I should be able to cannibalize most of it for the Straggler, I walked into my local shop and shared a bit about this thread (Shops LOVE when you reference MTBR... No they don't) I told them the MSRP and that others were ordering them right now and and somehow they DID have a part number for it. I got my with tax quote and my down payment estimate

I mean, I had to give them pricing and tell them when the frames would start shipping.

But at least I can get one.

this frame. some cheap hoops/tires and a headset. gonna be ramening for a few!
    Last edited by Agwan; 08-17-2013 at 03:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Anyone care to muse on the sizing for someone 5ft11 with a barefoot pubic bone of 84, saddle height of 74/75?
    Never ridden a Cross Check so am torn between a 56 and a 58.
    Standover should be just be okay on 58 but is this stretching things out too much? Especially as the initial idea is to use some On One Mary bars fairly up with the saddle so was wondering how to size to allow for this and potentially some On One Midge bars down the line a bit.
    Merci

mtbr member
    Fit seems to be pretty close to how you would fit yourself on a mountain bike; top tubes are inline with MTB length top tubes for a given frame size. You'll just end up with a longer stem to make up for the narrower bars.

Just did some calculations and with a 100mm stem, the 64 will fit just like my Paradox but I'm going to use a 110 or 120 to stretch out a little bit since a lot of my riding is road commuting and long gravel rides.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilburtron View Post
    Anyone care to muse on the sizing for someone 5ft11 with a barefoot pubic bone of 84, saddle height of 74/75?
    Never ridden a Cross Check so am torn between a 56 and a 58.
    FWIW, I'm 180cm tall with a saddle height of 750mm, and ended up with a 56cm CC. I've got quite a long reach and used a 110mm x -17 degree (i.e., flat) stem with maybe 25-30mm of spacers beneath. I could have fitted (in terms of seat height) on the 54cm frame too, but with worse overlap, which was why I got the 56. The 56cm Straggler is 1cm longer than the 56cm CC in the TT, so I'm inclined to think 56 should be the right size unless you want no standover clearance and super high bars.

The easy way to get the bars up is not to cut the steerer down much until or unless you are *absolutely sure* you'll never want the bars higher. When I built the CC is used a stack of extra spacers and rode the bike for a while before I cut the steerer; I still left a little extra "just in case."

Good luck with it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks GTscoob and satanas, as we're the same height and saddle I think the 56 is the way, I do have a 20" Ogre I was about to build up before work took me out of the country and into dreaming up combos for them both. Never ridden a modern mountain bike, mainly old klunkers and road ish bikes until now so bought the Ogre based on calculations (might still be too big but I thought the larger size would be more forgiving touring wise plus you get about 2.5L more frame bag with the 20..

mtbr member
    now that my whining is out of the way...
    My initial build will probably have an alfine 8, Deore hydraulics and a Soma Clarence bar.

that is until drop bar hydraulics become more affordable.
    Any reason you're opposed to BB7s or the Shimano or Hayes mechanical brakes? Lots of good options for mechanical disc brakes. The only thing they give up to hydros is the ability of hydraulic systems to self adjust for padwear.

I <3 dirt

Surly Straggler

Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    Any reason you're opposed to BB7s or the Shimano or Hayes mechanical brakes? Lots of good options for mechanical disc brakes. The only thing they give up to hydros is the ability of hydraulic systems to self adjust for padwear.
    And feel. I hate the way cable brakes feel

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    ^ And a lack of sponginess, which IMHO is better for pillows than brakes.

Note that this comment probably doesn't apply if using the MTB mechanical brakes with Cane Creek or Tektro V-brake-compatible levers, but if using road-pull brake levers (or brifters) then setup and casing choice is crucial to say the least.

mtbr member
    How do you set yours up? Mine feel and stop on par with the XT brakes on my trail bike. Setup is key on the mechanicals whereas you can be a little sloppy with hydros and get the same performance. Lots of variance in how grabby you want them vs how mushy you want the lever, where you want the power to ramp up, etc based on how you set the caliper up initially on the bracket and how you space the pads.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    How do you set yours up? Mine feel and stop on par with the XT brakes on my trail bike. Setup is key on the mechanicals whereas you can be a little sloppy with hydros and get the same performance. Lots of variance in how grabby you want them vs how mushy you want the lever, where you want the power to ramp up, etc based on how you set the caliper up initially on the bracket and how you space the pads.
    So true. A while back my buddy asked to try out my fat bike, which runs bb7's. He runs Elixer 7's on his niner. His immediate reaction was how much nicer my breaks felt than his. It's all in the setup.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    ^ Any tips???? I've got Ergopower levers with road BB7 brakes and incredible sponginess and/or the pads rubbing on the rotors. I'd prefer to avoid using unobtainable (Avid Full Metal Jacket) or super expensive (Nokon) casings...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    My setup currently is Tiagra levers with road bb7's, just using regular housing. Didn't do anything outside of the normal setup.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by satanas View Post
    ^ Any tips???? I've got Ergopower levers with road BB7 brakes and incredible sponginess and/or the pads rubbing on the rotors. I'd prefer to avoid using unobtainable (Avid Full Metal Jacket) or super expensive (Nokon) casings...
    I like using these instructions for setting mine up: Avid BB7 Disc Brake set up and tuning. | Two Wheel Blogs
    Setup takes about 10 minutes once you've done it a few times. I also pair my BB7s with EBC Gold pads for extra performance. These pads are grabbier and more powerful than the stock Avid pads while lasting longer in nasty conditions. I swear my lever feel is firmer as well with the new pads but dont want to claim that the pad compound or pad backing stiffer since it has to be negligible.

I'm a clyde and get by just fine with 160mm rotors F/R using crappy Jagwire housing. Nicer housing does make for a firmer lever feel but I'd rather replace housing for cheap a few times a year than spend the extra money on really nice housing.

mtbr member
    I don't hate cable disc brakes, but I run several sets of BB7s and Shimano SLX and Avid Elixr CRs hyrdos. They hydros are nice for sure and that would be my first choice if I was building from parts, but if I bought a complete with BB7s that wouldn't bother me.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

I <3 dirt

Surly Straggler

No matter how cable brakes are set up.....they still don't feel as good as a nice hydro brake plain and simple.

Ill probably pick up a set of hydro road discs when the time comes to jump into a disc cross bike. I'm still rocking a cc with canti's.

mtbr member
    No matter how cable brakes are set up.....they still don't feel as good as a nice hydro brake plain and simple.
    Plain and simply you've never ridden some nicely set up cable brakes with nice housing and pads.

I really hope Avid knocks one out of the park with their road hydros. Much prefer SRAM DoubleTap to Shimano STI shifters but cant stand Avid hydro brakes while loving Shimano hydro brakes.

Sorry for the OT tangent onto cable/hydro mess.

I <3 dirt

Surly Straggler

Plain and simply you've never ridden some nicely set up cable brakes with nice housing and pads.

I really hope Avid knocks one out of the park with their road hydros. Much prefer SRAM DoubleTap to Shimano STI shifters but cant stand Avid hydro brakes while loving Shimano hydro brakes.

Sorry for the OT tangent onto cable/hydro mess.
    This will be my last OT post. I've been around a long time and have worked in the industry just as long.....been there done that. They'll never have the smooth feel of hydro's. sure they can work well if set up correctly but the feeling is still of that of a cable.

A God Without A Name
    For me, I want out of my BB7's for the noise. I've been through about 4 sets of pads and rotors (3 of them organic) where I also followed the proper break in procedure every time.

They still sqeal. I dunno if its the salty ocean air or what. but they won't stop. Add to that the Organic BB7 pads wear REALLY fast. as a 6 day a week commuter, if I don't use them sparingly they can be gone in 2 months.

As far as power, set up and ease of use they've been great.

most likely, when I get more money to get newer parts for the Straggler, I will go to 105 with brifters tied to cx75's.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I have the same problem. My BB7s work just fine, but they squeal horribly. On rides with others, I always get comments on it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I have the same problem. My BB7s work just fine, but they squeal horribly. On rides with others, I always get comments on it.
    I am thinking about trying this with mine, which squeal some, but not horribly by any means.... Anybody ever try this? Squeal Out

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Squealers..... Ever try this: http://squealout.com/.........?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Ooooops correct link here: Squeal Out

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

pron

^MSRP $1850. September Delivery.

Straggler Frameset. MSRP $550. September Delivery.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    For how long have you ridden it?

I've heard it takes some time until brake pad and disc fit to each other.
    The BB7 original setup (pad and especially the rotor) is not the best but it ought get much better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I have been planning for a long time to go for discbrakes.

First of I waited for a proper frame (especially with a good geometry for a descent price). The Straggler might be one but I also like the new Planet X Kaffenback2 and the Genesis Croix de Fer.

Secondly I waited for a good disc brake.
    On user in a german CX Forum (CX-sport) does real tests with different Disc brakes, levers, pads and rotors.

The BB7 was my favorite by now.

But now he is testing the new Tektro which operated by cable but which converts in the brakebody itself to a hydraulic brakes.
    He said he has the best brake controll with this brake and she shortest way until the bikes stops.

It is the TRP HY/RD I'm referring to.
    The installation/setup seems to be at least as easy as the one of the BB7.

TRP HY/RD Installation Video - YouTube

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rusheleven View Post
    ^MSRP $1850. September Delivery.

Straggler Frameset. MSRP $550. September Delivery.

Yup, you're a little late to the party.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Endoverend! View Post
    Ooooops correct link here: Squeal Out
    Going out on a limb that this is probably the same stuff you can buy in a big tub at the auto store for car and motorcycle disc brakes but probably repackaged in a smaller container and 3x the price for the bike market. At least thats how every other automotive product ends up when sold at bike shops . . .

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by Endoverend! View Post
    I am thinking about trying this with mine, which squeal some, but not horribly by any means.... Anybody ever try this? Squeal Out
    Yes, it works really well. Here's my review:

First Impressions: Squeal Out Brake Treatment Paste | GRAVELBIKE.com

The rotor that I treated over a year ago is still quieter/smoother than the un-treated rotor.

A God Without A Name
    Quote Originally Posted by DröVoSu View Post
    For how long have you ridden it?

I've heard it takes some time until brake pad and disc fit to each other.
    The BB7 original setup (pad and especially the rotor) is not the best but it ought get much better.
    OEM pads? about 700 miles.
    First pair of organic pads, roughly 3,000
    Second pair I did not keep close watch, but I'd ballpark it around 2,500
    And the current ones are just under 2,000.

set one I didn't break in at all. I just installed, adjusted and rode. every other one got broken in properly.

Still has that lovely "Male Rape Whistle" sound.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I like using these instructions for setting mine up: Avid BB7 Disc Brake set up and tuning. | Two Wheel Blogs
    Thanks, I'll give it a try sometime soon. The guy does seem a bit over-obsessive about torque wrenches though IMO! I'm inclined to think anything which makes the lever feel firmer has to be a good thing, so will most likely use compressionless housing when I can get hold of some. It's usually dry here and I avoid riding when it's muddy so I need to replace cables and housing extremely rarely - basically almost never - and so a few more $ upfront is worth it to me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I had decided to get the Cross Check mainly for commuting, until I saw this. I like the lower bottom bracket. Not sure about the longer top tube. My legs are long relative to my upper body. Any pictures of front fender mounted on fork??

mtbr member
    Aww man, tough choices for me. What's the weight on the frameset? I was looking for a cross check or similar but this is so tempting now.

Anyone care to put together a buyers list for used cross checks that people wont need anymore?

A God Without A Name
    If I don't manage to get a Straggler (already put a deposit on one with a local shop, though) I'll get a Traitor Ruben. gorgeous bike.

also, even though it was posted ages ago. That TRP hy/rd thing is just NEAT. I am on a budget HARD for this bike, but that still seems... worth 300 bucks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by theNomad View Post
    Anyone care to put together a buyers list for used cross checks that people wont need anymore?
    No market for them. Everyone knows they turn to pixie shit at midnight 31 Dec 2013...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Setup takes about 10 minutes once you've done it a few times. I also pair my BB7s with EBC Gold pads for extra performance. These pads are grabbier and more powerful than the stock Avid pads while lasting longer in nasty conditions. I swear my lever feel is firmer as well with the new pads but dont want to claim that the pad compound or pad backing stiffer since it has to be negligible.
    That procedure is basically what BBI teaches and I can say from experience that it works very well. I can also second your recommendation of EBC Gold pads. They, when used with good compressionless housing, give what IMO is the best brake setup money can buy.

mtbr member
    also, even though it was posted ages ago. That TRP hy/rd thing is just NEAT. I am on a budget HARD for this bike, but that still seems... worth 300 bucks.
    All the maintenance of cable brakes with all the bleeding of hydraulic brakes? All the consistency of hydraulic brakes with the claimed inefficiency of cable brakes? The firm hydraulic feel paired with squishy mechanical housing? I dont get any of the hydraulic/cable hybrid systems. I love hydraulic brakes and my mechanical brakes but I'm not about to jump through some bandaid solution just to have hydraulic calipers with mechanical levers (and I'm one to have all sorts of frankenstein builds and mix and match parts that shouldnt go together). If you're going to spend the money on nice cables and housing in order to have a firm feel from the lever to the converter box, you might as well just run mechanical brakes.

A God Without A Name
    I'm more interested in the fact that these calipers, once adjusted. will not need the constant fiddling and fine tuning of Mechanical disks. Good housing/cable does not cost that much.

I am sick of adjusting my pads every 5 days to minimize squeal. hydraulic pistons self adjust.

I will agree, hard. that this is a bandaid solution. I honestly can't figure out why they can do all this R&D for 3 years to make THIS and they can't just make a flipping Aero Lever Disc brake.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I will agree, hard. that this is a bandaid solution. I honestly can't figure out why they can do all this R&D for 3 years to make THIS and they can't just make a flipping Aero Lever Disc brake.
    Actually, there are three options: SRAM Red / Shimano Di2 for big bucks or the TRP Hylex if you can live with bar end shifters.

A God Without A Name
    I already knew about the first two, but the Hylex is news to me. this makes me incredibly happy!

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    with the right cables/housing I've used mechanical that where 90+% as smooth as a hydro... so those combo cable/hydro brakes make a lot of seince especially when you compare the price to the other options you have for hydro briftors especially if you are with good old mechanical shimano stuff already... if you are already in the di2 or sram ecosystem then it might make more since but all the other stuff really adds up vs just adding a simple brake system that you could install in place of your BB7's
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    If only Tektro disc brakes were worth a damn. . . Hylex would be 100% gnarlier if it used mineral oil and could be paired with Icetech calipers and another 100% radder if Retrospec could add their shifters to a hydro system. I'm just a hater in the meantime hoping for Avid to get their hydraulic brake sh|t together before the hydro Force/Rival shift levers trickle down.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    It would be nice of Shimano to make some brake levers with no shifty bits, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. As for Avid, they're part of SRAM now... still, one can hope. I linked the Hylex since it's made by TRP, so I figured folks who are willing to buy the HyRd might be interested in alternatives.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by helo_rc View Post
    It would be nice of Shimano to make some brake levers with no shifty bits, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. As for Avid, they're part of SRAM now... still, one can hope. I linked the Hylex since it's made by TRP, so I figured folks who are willing to buy the HyRd might be interested in alternatives.
    You mean like the BR400 and BR600?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    You mean like the BR400 and BR600?
    No, I meant hydro levers like the Di2 stuff I linked above, but without the buttons/electronics. It shouldn't be too hard to gut a lever they already made but I assume the demand is way too low.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by helo_rc View Post
    No, I meant hydro levers like the Di2 stuff I linked above, but without the buttons/electronics. It shouldn't be too hard to gut a lever they already made but I assume the demand is way too low.
    Yea, you're going to be waiting a bit for that.

A God Without A Name
    So, When my bike is "finished" and not just using the cannibalized parts. I am looking at trp hydro's and an alfine 8. (I already have a1x10 speed XT, I use about 4 gears on that. so I am guessing the 8 will be more than enough for me)

Neither of which will I have to wait for, as neither parts cost that much.

I am so, freaking stoked. MY ULTIMATE COMMUTER!

Ride Everything
    What happens to/with those relatively small(er) master cylinders in extreme temps?

A God Without A Name
    Quote Originally Posted by MileHighMark View Post
    What happens to/with those relatively small(er) master cylinders in extreme temps?
    there are a lot of reviews on both TRP brakes that speak specifically about their worries on boiling fluid in high temps. the Hy/Rd ones are apparently overdesigned to handle heat incredibly well, and while I didn't read about the specific things being done to make the Hylex heat resistant, I did read reviews that state they handle heat incredibly well.

TRP brakes are fully compatible with Shimano pads and rotors. so I imagine Icetech rotors would further help on this.

None of this is me being smart, I just read what was already posted here and also googled a little.

Ride Everything
    I'm personally more concerned with sub-freezing temps. I had some Shimano XT hydraulic discs that behaved oddly when it got down below freezing. Could have been unique to that particular set, though (sold the bike, so I never did figure it out).

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MileHighMark View Post
    I'm personally more concerned with sub-freezing temps. I had some Shimano XT hydraulic discs that behaved oddly when it got down below freezing. Could have been unique to that particular set, though (sold the bike, so I never did figure it out).
    It is normal for mineral oil brakes. But you can bleed them with LHM+ fluid for winter, and re-bleed with oil again for summer.

A God Without A Name
    Well, I just learned something.

I live in a place where it never gets to freezing. its rare we even hit the 40's. so I dodge that bullet.

Yay pacific northwest.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    All the maintenance of cable brakes with all the bleeding of hydraulic brakes? All the consistency of hydraulic brakes with the claimed inefficiency of cable brakes? The firm hydraulic feel paired with squishy mechanical housing? I dont get any of the hydraulic/cable hybrid systems. I love hydraulic brakes and my mechanical brakes but I'm not about to jump through some bandaid solution just to have hydraulic calipers with mechanical levers (and I'm one to have all sorts of frankenstein builds and mix and match parts that shouldnt go together). If you're going to spend the money on nice cables and housing in order to have a firm feel from the lever to the converter box, you might as well just run mechanical brakes.
    Yamaha had cable actuated hydraulic master systems on some of their bikes in the mid 80's. They were awful!

A God Without A Name
    Okay, to take this thread in a different direction. I hear a lot of people saying they've ordered their Straggler already. Which is funny. as I have sat across from my local dealer twice while they called QBP directly. and they're not being given part numbers, exact pricing or a specific ETA other than "Mid september"

Are you guys just telling your shop to make sure to order one when they can? because my shop is checking every time they place supply orders (So, about twice a week) and still no word. The Surly DEALER in my town isn't even being given hard info.

What the heck?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    They can definitely be pre-ordered through QBP. I believe its under the specials section or something like that. That's how I found out there was going to be a black one, my LBS let me know that was an option in there.

mtbr member
    My LBS knew the pricing, asked for a standard deposit and said they'd get the frame to me as soon as possible. One of their employees is also ordering a complete and had to put the same money down up front.

The owner and his employee are both really stoked to start carrying these and I'm pretty sure he'll order a few other completes to stock. I'm not at all worried about whether it got ordered or not, I know I've got one on the first shipment my LBS can get.

A God Without A Name
    I'll tell them to check the specials section today. I also sent QBP an email directly, pretty sure they'll be annoyed then delete it. but my shop went out of their way to become my shop, putting up with my high pressure nagging and dozens of questions. Even though they aren't the local Surly dealer,they're the ones that actually seem to want my money. I aim to order as much of my build as possible from them (especially as none of the parts I want have THAT good of a deal on them, online.)

mtbr member
    I'll tell them to check the specials section today. I also sent QBP an email directly, pretty sure they'll be annoyed then delete it. but my shop went out of their way to become my shop, putting up with my high pressure nagging and dozens of questions. Even though they aren't the local Surly dealer,they're the ones that actually seem to want my money. I aim to order as much of my build as possible from them (especially as none of the parts I want have THAT good of a deal on them, online.)
    No offense but I'm sure they understand you're stoked on this frame and will do their best to get it to you as soon as possible. The time to start harassing them will be when you see the rest of us building ours up.

FWIW my LBS told me not to get too excited to get it anytime before late Sept. I'm hoping to get it built and ridden several times before cross season starts but it's looking like I might only get some commuting on it before the first cross race.

A God Without A Name
    It's that level of stoke that is clearly my problem. It's like waiting for christmas WHY CAN'T TODAY BE CHRISTMAS? MAN!?

I know about the late september ETA, and I actually need it to be able to pay for it when it comes in. But it's like I don't have a reservation yet at a popular club with limited seating that I REALLY want to go to.

My shop has been so amazing at tolerating my neurosis, though.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    It's that level of stoke that is clearly my problem. It's like waiting for christmas WHY CAN'T TODAY BE CHRISTMAS? MAN!?

I know about the late september ETA, and I actually need it to be able to pay for it when it comes in. But it's like I don't have a reservation yet at a popular club with limited seating that I REALLY want to go to.

My shop has been so amazing at tolerating my neurosis, though.

Man, late september? I want it MONDAY. hah. I know the feeling, I just can't wait for these frames to come in.

I still owe a few bucks for the frameset, but I'm pretty sure me and the LBS will be square by the time they get here. All I need on top of that is a headset and square taper BB....and RIDE!

Anyone see one of these in black yet?

A God Without A Name
    trying to pick between the Pauls crank with square taper and Profile Racings Cranks with their bottom bracket was hard.

Both are so blingy, but I see the profile being a more solid crank for a fat guy.

mtbr member
    Profile would be my choice for anything aside from a show bike. They're indestructable and will be something to pass on to your children.

I'll just be moving my 180mm Rival compact cranks over and swapping the chainrings to something more dirt friendly.

A God Without A Name
    Even their "cheap" cranks look gorgeous and have a lifetime warranty! To get mine immediately on the road I will be swapping on my 175mm Stylos. once the Soma is stripped I'll clean it up, sell it. buy more parts... you know, that old song.

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    Agwan, where in the PNW are you located?

A God Without A Name
    Humboldt County!

A God Without A Name
    Sorry to cross post from my own thread, I'm just really looking to get advice on this size issue asap...

Used the software at competitive cyclist to try to get my fit down a bit sharper... and I am all the way back to not being sure on size... 50 or 52. with the 52 I can definitely have a slammed DH stem, which is NOT that big of a priority...

I wear big size 12's and have very wide shoulders... so for the sake of overlap I usually try to err larger... but looking at this...

Attachment 829234

the 50 seems the better choice for fit... I need some real world advice on fit here, remembering that I will never Cross this, it's just a big, fat, all weather road bike for me.

What irks me is.. I was talked into the 52 BY A SHOP.

mtbr member
    Top tubes seem really inline with mountain bike length top tubes. I'd size something similar or maybe a hair shorter than what you are comfortable with on your mountain bikes. Size down if you're wanting more of a traditional road fit with a shorter top tube and longer stem. Cross bikes have always had a little longer top tubes in order to allow for shorter stems and more weight between the wheels rather than extra weight over the front end. The Straggler just takes this to the extreme with a mountain bike length top tube, even longer than a normal cross top tube.

FWIW the Surly top tube length is 20mm longer than what the Competitive Cyclist calculator says I should run as well. I'll just be able to get by running a 100-120mm stem instead of a 120-140mm stem like their calculator recommends.

mtbr member
    Well, I got a "pre-book" sparkly dreams one snagged by my LBS today. Went with 46cm on the frame based on shop input. I am getting frame only and switching over all the pieces from my 2011 KM SS setup to the new ride, selling my KM frame & Fork(size medium black) to help offset the new frame.
    These 2-3 weeks are gonna take forever!!!!!!
    2014 Big Dummy
    2015 Salsa Beargrease Carbon 1
    2015 Ice Cream Truck

A God Without A Name
    Agreed. my poor LBS, I go in at least once a week to nag them!

I'll be honest though, If this color doesn't wow me I may walk down the street and get the frame powdercoated RAL 6034 (Robins Egg Blue) or RAL RAL 6019 (Pastel green "Mint") or RAL 7008 (Khaki Grey)

My other big buy for this will be the Alfine wheels.

still cant decide between drop bar or flats.

mtbr member
    Lol.......yeah, so far my interest is just one call and a CC#(the guys know me well though, they weren't surprised when I called to order it). But 3 weeks is a long time......

I'm excited about the color, my other Surlys are black and champagne(blah!) and my Salsa is super cool blue/orange/white with anno parts. I need another flashy bike, especially for CX riding & gravel grinding. So I don't forsee repainting mine. Weren't you outfitting yours with purple bits? Since I am swapping over parts(or else the better half would kill me!) and selling my KM frame, I'm stuck with black stuff. If I was going for straight new build, I'd probably do something similar and up the flash!

I do have Surly Open Bars that are on my KM(only non stock part on it, I swear!) that I will put on it to start with. Not great for CX but I don't have any extra road curls and hate flat bars(do have extra of those). I hope to run into some cheap ones on CL or something at some point post purchase.

Since we are doing frame builds, do you think we'll get ours any sooner than completes? Or is it pretty much both available at the same time? My shop says they can get it done in one day turnaround when it comes. Excited!!!
    2014 Big Dummy
    2015 Ice Cream Truck

mtbr member
    still cant decide between drop bar or flats.
    If you're considering flat bars you're getting the wrong bike man. You'll end up having to run a really long stem to get flat bars in the right position on a bike designed for drop bars. Maybe look towards the ECR or Karate Monkey if you're wanting a flat bar bike.

I'm kinda tossing around the idea of outfitting mine with some Salsa Woodchipper bars instead of the Cowbell bars I've got currently.

I think I've just about got my build ironed out with the exception of bar/stem choice.
    Stem/Seatpost are both going to be Thomson just not sure if I want a 100mm, 110mm, or 120mm stem. It'll be nice having a bike with a long enough top tube for my long arms but I've no clue how I'll like the comfort of a bike that actually fits. 100mm stem will feel like my current bike which is a little small.

Drivetrain is going to be my normal SRAM/Shimano mashup. SRAM Rival shifters, SRAM Rival FD, SRAM 34/46 chainrings on Rival crank. SRAM X9 Type 2 rear derailleur, Shimano XT 11-32 cassette, KMC 10spd chain with Wippermann Connex masterlink

Brakes will be my current set of Avid BB7s with EBC gold pads and XT centerlock rotors

Wheels will be my current wheels - SLX hubs laced to Velocity Chukkers. Planning on relacing new rims on after cross season ends or possibly building a nicer wheelset and saving the Chukkers for pothole bombing around town (commuting).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakedbabytoes View Post
    Since we are doing frame builds, do you think we'll get ours any sooner than completes? Or is it pretty much both available at the same time? My shop says they can get it done in one day turnaround when it comes. Excited!!!
    My LBS did mention that the frames will ship first with the completes following a week or two later. The bike shop guys who ordered completes are bummed that I'll be getting my frame before any of them.

A God Without A Name
    @Nakedbabies:

Surly always has a notoriously unphotographable paint choice. Robins Egg, Beef Gravy and Hospital Foam all photograph one way, and look totally different in person.

So I can't tell if the Straggler paint is leaning to the red or purple side of things, and most of the forks I see in photos do not seem to match the frame.

It all depends on what I see when I open that box. I may be floored, or ill.

I hope I'm floored. Glittery Fuschia is what I am all about. but I've converted the .tiff files through several filters and they keep coming out new colors, even the candid photo's read different.

For what its worth, Hospital Foam Green is breathtaking in person. But I have yet to see it look good in a picture. so... fingers crossed.

@gtscoob: I'd be running around a 90mm stem. which is a full cm shorter than my current stem. this bike is definitely designed for drops... for a person with normal body geometries. but I'm not normal shapes. so it wont be too big an issue. but as with any bike that gets ridden 7 days a week, parts will constantly change. I'm not running the original stem,bars,grips,seat,chain,derailleur/cogs/chainring/bottom bracket, seatpost or tires that the Soma had 2 years ago. I imagine the Surly will be the same way. Also I am considering Flats so that I can Run the boring Alfine shifter with Deore Hydraulics. until something I really want comes by. Then I'll cut down a Problem solvers Accessory tab, clamp a Jtek shifter on the end of its nub and run that off the center of some drops.

I am not well off. the Alfine wheels and Frame are going to make me poor for a while!

I do wonder how my Soma will sell. I'd keep it if I could. but money is tight. I hope to get about 500 out of it's frame/fork/headset/wheels. I'd be depressed if I got less than 400.

mtbr member
    GT, if your into trades, I have Woodchippers that are a bit too wide for my liking, I'd love to try Cowbells though. Up to you. Just throwing that out there.

Paint, I'll be cool with whatever. It is purple, pink, fushia, magenta, somewhere in the pinkish purple color family is fine with me. I already had a black bike that ain't going nowhere(my pugs), I am less attached to my black KM so it getting parted out is cool with me.
    2014 Big Dummy
    2015 Ice Cream Truck

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    If you're considering flat bars you're getting the wrong bike man.
    FWIW, there are plenty of guys running Cross Checks with flat bars.

A God Without A Name
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    It's the everything bike!

Also, if you look at the geo for the straggler, its built a little longer and lower than a Cross check. It's very MTBesque. it will work. I'm just going to be leaving a lot of steerer uncut so that I don't limit any future options.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Surly Straggler-1236294_10101040780045368_712551357_n.jpg

Part are all here, now we wait...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    It looks like even your dog is all set with a matching collar!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by vitaly66 View Post
    It looks like even your dog is all set with a matching collar!
    She's so nosey with bike stuff cause she loves to come riding with me. Her collar is actually make from a recycled Bike tube, check out Cycle Dog Earth Friendly Pet Company

Here's a pic of Roo from a ride a couple weeks ago

Surly Straggler-556450_10101004337032458_1145809387_n.jpg

A God Without A Name
    I just found out that my local Bike Kitchen got ripped off during the summer. (It's run by a college club) And now has virtually no tools left, So... I kinda feel like back burnering the build of my Straggler and putting my funds into tools for that place. that being said if it's tools bought from my pockets they will go home with me at night. not be stored there. lest history repeat itself.

But at the same time I still want to buy the frame...

Who cleans out a bike kitchen, honestly?

mtbr member
    Who cleans out a bike kitchen, honestly?
    This has happened to a few other bike co-ops over the last year and sucks.

I help run my local bike cooperative and am glad that the only things we have to deal with are the Craigslist bike shop guys who come in once a week to nickel and dime used bikes off us in order to fix up and flip on Craigslist for a few hundred dollars profit.

A God Without A Name
    We had it happen a few times back in Ogden, Utah. but because of a bit of luck and cops that do their job, the thieves got caught most of the time. No one in any official capacity does anything at all in Arcata, CA unless it involves Yak-men or Crossbow murders. The locals are great, the hobo's are numerous and tenacious, the city officials are pathetic. and the college kids are dreadlocked and entitled.

That being said, these kids were just trying to do something good. came back after a semester off and found the place stripped.

Now I am left with my tiny paycheck looking at the bike I want/need and looking at budget tools on pricepoint. I'm going to run down to the shop today and do an inventory, see what we actually need... and hope I can at least buy and store my frame before buying them tools.

argh.

mtbr member
    How heartbreaking! Those poor kids! We just had our local bike kitchen re-open after a thing similar to yours. I hate thieves! I hope they needed the money from the tools to feed their children or something....sure it went to drugs or booze though

Your dog is adorable! Nice parts waiting around for the frame, I'm sure now the excitement is tempered by the theft. Sorry man
    2014 Big Dummy
    2015 Ice Cream Truck

A God Without A Name
    They're not doing too horribly bad, they lost their allens, cone wrenches, pedal wrenches and bottom bracket tools. as well as their headset rocket, tubes and lube.

I'll run down to harbor freight for the allens, try to Nashbar/amazon a lot of the rest.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    Me... Been running flats for a month or so now and am pretty happy

mtbr member
    Nice ride^^^^

I got a ? For you all(and this might be an issue or it might not). Surly seems to take their sweet time making tires available, especially the higher TPI ones. If my frame gets released end of the month but the Knards aren't ready yet OR they have the lower TPI ones available(27) but the higher will be months later, should I just buy some cheap tires to roll with for a while & wait for the Knards or should I just get some nice tires to roll with until they wear out and then get the Knards later(like a year or two later depending on how long my first set lasts).
    My first CX race isn't until November but we do have practice 3 Weds a month. But the other races are always on Weds at 5 for cat 4s, so I can't make them
    So basically, I **can** wait until late Oct for the Knards but that would mean practicing with cheap tires.

And no, I am not trying to be competitive in CX, just have fun and get better skill wise. I know this bike frame with SS karate monkey parts isn't a podium finisher, with or without the Knards. But I know I want them eventually, I just can't decide if I should wait and roll a first set of tires until they die or buy Walmart specials and wait for Knards to start with.

**please surly, make the Knards available when the frame is, so I worry about nothing, like usual**
    Yes....I am a "plan A" and "plan B" type person....
    2014 Big Dummy
    2015 Ice Cream Truck

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks...

To answer your question, I'd buy a decent set now, then the knards went the higher tpi version is available. No real need to wait till the first set wears out, unless money is the issue then I understand. It's always nice to have at least one extra set of tires avalable for when things get buggered up, and they will

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast