Surly Straggler - Page 16- Mtbr.com
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516
Results 3,001 to 3,182 of 3182

Thread: Surly Straggler

mtbr member
    What? You don't like my hack shifter system?
    Well, you're not alone.
    But I don't like how the DT shifters play w/ the frame bag.
    Which might make you think I like how the mtn shifter plays w/ road bars- I also don't like that.
    One day maybe I'll change it.
    Maybe.

What doesn't show in those shots is the inner 30t ring w/ no F der.
    Have to use my hand to get that one working. But only for those big ups.

-JCBs
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

recent MTB mania victim
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    it may be time for a midnight special! lol or the new one with the rack for your commuter...
    GET THEE BEHIND ME...!

Nah, just kidding, that exact thought had crossed my mind too. A new Pack Rat for commuting and loading up for around town chores; 650b so there's enough clearance for mudguards etc etc; then strip the Straggler back for long weekend rides.

On the Midnight Special though - I'm having trouble working out what use cases would separate the Straggler and the MS and why someone would choose one over the other. They both seem like really cool bikes (Midnight Special colour being a notable flub though).

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    thru axles is one big difference,and ability to take a tapered fork...sometime standards changes do make sense...

mtbr member
    I know the world is all about thru axles now but on a bike like the Straggler- I just don't see them as a huge gain.
    I ran a carbon CX frame before the Straggler. It was thru axle F&R.

That carbon and the Straggler are significantly different from each other but I'm happy to have gained a heavier frame and lost the TAs in that switch. The Surly is so much more comfortable on every surface.

Plus while there are dyno hubs out there in every axle/spacing configuration- there are more lower cost options in the QR. Not that such a feature is valuable to everyone.

What I'd like to see from Surly is a 6-pack rack. Something less burly than the 8 pack.

The 8 pack looks good on my fat bike, looks heavier than the Straggler would need.

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    This is my Straggler (Nickname: Rosina)

Frame 54
    Headset - Chris King
    Rims - H Plus Son Archetype
    Hubs - Hope Pro 2
    Tires - Surlt Knard - in photo Verdstein Spotted cat (just for make a try - too big)
    Bars - Salsa Cowbell 46 cm
    Brakes - Avid BB7 Road
    Stem - Thomson
    Post - Thomson
    Levers - Cane Creek
    Shifters - Shimano Durace
    Crankset - Stronlight 46/36/26
    Rear derailleur - Shimano Tiagra
    Cassette - 11-32t
    Pedals - Shimano
    Saddle - WTB Rocket Skin Covered by Officina del Miglio
    Bar Tape - Officina del Miglio (Skin)

Surly Straggler-img_20180303_130952.jpgSurly Straggler-img_20180303_131011.jpgSurly Straggler-img_20180303_131044.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Straggler-img_20180303_130931.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice to meet you Rosina. I like your shoes.
    How was the test of the front tire too big? Rubbing?

It looks like a super capable bike.
    Now- get out and pedal it. Then take shots for us all mudded out.

I had a few hours on the Soma Condor bars. Went back to the Woodchippers.
    Probably need to see a therapist for my handlebar schizophrenia issues. It's occurring on several bikes.
    The Condors aren't for me.

Anyone want a pair? Cheap!
    The hood placement and drops are perfect. Same w/ the curve behind the hoods.
    THe flats? Not so much. If you always keep your hands on the outside of your bars and want some super comfy rise? Lemme know.
    Condor Handlebar | SOMA Fabrications
    -JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    not oddly i wanted to try a pair of those condors at one point but then i bought the fargo and that pretty much ended that...if i didnt already have a half dozen spare sets of handlebars laying around...and why are they referred to as pairs? theres just the one thing...

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Chicken Bones View Post
    Nice to meet you Rosina. I like your shoes.
    How was the test of the front tire too big? Rubbing?

It looks like a super capable bike.
    Now- get out and pedal it. Then take shots for us all mudded out.
    In front very comfortable!
    Tomorrow i will ride with some mud (it's raining in italy in thoose days...) e will see what happend.
    Probably the best solution is WTB riddler 45.

mtbr member
    Riddler 45 on the front?
    Are folks able to stuff that in the back too?
    -JCBs
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    yup,the riddler fits the rear,you need to pull the wheel back in the dropouts but it fits...no mud clearance though...i run a riddler rear,kenda small block8 1.9 up front...plenty fast for me,and tons of grip...probably wont buy another riddler when i wear the current one out,which wont take long...i would think a tire created for a 2400 mile race would last more than 1500 miles...if the knards were actually tubeless ready i would get them...but will likely end up with maxxis...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Surly Straggler-img_20180319_133120596.jpgSurly Straggler-img_20180319_133202903.jpgSurly Straggler-img_20180319_141031335.jpg

put the 1x11 setup back on the straggler...just a quick little 30 mile loop around town today...already getting pretty buggy down by the river which is full again so plenty of ducks and whatnot doing their ducky thing

mtbr member
    Rode a great one a few days ago.
    Long paved climb. Take a right as the sun sets, turn on the lights, and continue on a closed dirt road.
    A winter closure.
    No traffic. No man made lights (except my own dyno lamp). No signal. Perfect.

Occasionally I'd have to keep my eyes peeled. The road had a vehicle use it last fall when it was soft. There were a pair of trenches that came and went w/ the firmness of the dirt.
    All was well. But then it wasn't.
    A few miles from where the dirt met another paved road. When I knew I was homefree...
    One of those same trenches caught me unaware. I pitched off the R side of the bike and into the sage. It's been a long time since such an abrupt and fast crash found me.

On the upside it was now dark and quiet. The recently smashed sage smelled great. And the stars were wonderful.

Spent some time wondering about my shoulders and wrists. All was fine.
    Found the Straggler. Somehow both brake levers took some impact and were fine.
    The F end didn't flip around too hard (no dents in the down tube from the 8-pack rack).
    Heck. All was well. Didn't even knock the fenders askew.
    Basically a free lesson to pay attention. Historically such lessons cost me more.

Another 15 miles of pavement helped to loosen up the normal aches that follow unscheduled landings.
    By the next day all was well.

It was a great ride. Even w/ the spill.

Go ride.
    The Straggler sure is a treat.

(oh- I'm making a coroplast frame "box" for it. Cheap and light. If you want a low low cost option for bikepacking? Check this page http://forums.mtbr.com/bikepacking-b...st-781618.html)
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I love a story with a happy ending.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    tried for a 100k today...unfortunately it got windy in the last half of the ride right when i wasnt feeling like fighting for miles...came up 10 short...

Surly Straggler-img_20180404_101455988.jpgSurly Straggler-img_20180404_121409442.jpgSurly Straggler-img_20180404_125137810.jpg

mtbr member
    It ďgotĒ windy?
    You trying to claim that there are days when the wind doesnít blow in New Mexico?
    At least make these claims believable.

Heading out for a day loop of the WhiteRim in a week.
    Will be Straggling it. Not sure if QBP sells new wrists or joints but will order some before re the ride.

-JCBs
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    thats just breezy! i mean theres levels to these things from annoying up to cant make any forward progress...and we have the fall,its awesome here in the fall,and soon it will just be hot and not so windy...
    i was fine with going slow and just dealing with it until i made the turn for home and it turned into a tailwind but it was just one of those days when the human/saddle interface was being problematic....and i didnt have near enough bacon jerky...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Hampster who cares how far you rode when the scenery is that good.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Though I know you didn't mean that as a true question- and more of a statement about NM beauty but-
    I care how far Hamster rides.

These threads are polluted with those of us that buy a tire bar tape bike crank etc and post a thing or three before going dormant.
    I know that a lack of posting doesn't mean a person isn't riding, but I do like hearing of what's being done.

Where's the Rando guy that was prepping for who knows what long multi day ride on his Straggler?
    Pipe up mister. I like to hear about your riding.

And anyone else? You don't need to take shots of amazing local murals to have some good stuff to post.

-JCBs
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i was hoping to get in a grand fondo yesterday...really i wanted to get 70 miles in...trying to knock out 160 miles this week...a lot of those miles will be straggler miles simply because its easier to grab a quick road ride than get to the trails...and i should have the last part to finish the straggler finally...a purple hope qr for the front....been out of stock constantly and i've only ever found them at chain reaction...but it should be here in the next day or so...

gotta rack it up today and clean all the stan's off the rear of the bike...got a real love/hate thing going on with the riddler tires...they do great around here.those tiny little knobs grip like mad...but lock the brakes up just a few times and the tread is basically gone,and they wear out quick...too bad they work so well when new...

mtbr member
    got a real love/hate thing going on with the riddler tires...they do great around here.those tiny little knobs grip like mad...but lock the brakes up just a few times and the tread is basically gone,and they wear out quick...too bad they work so well when new...
    Have you thought about trying Panaracer Gravel Kings or Soma (Panaracer) Cazaderos? Soma currently has a 20% off thing going with their shop. Use coupon code "springyet". That said, I gotta admit that I kinda like Surly Knards. I've only ever had the wire bead ones and at $25/tire they really can't be beat.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    if the knards were actually tubeless ready i would get a pair of them,but will likely end up with maxxis ramblers of ravagers...i dont want to go under 40 if i dont have to...

but that said the straggler is pretty much going to be my road bike whatever that means these days but i really dont like super high pressure tires and want to keep some off pavement ability because its a straggler and i've found its no good to plan a route on the straggler because im just gonna end up someplace i had no intention of going to...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ealaidh View Post
    GET THEE BEHIND ME...!

Nah, just kidding, that exact thought had crossed my mind too. A new Pack Rat for commuting and loading up for around town chores; 650b so there's enough clearance for mudguards etc etc; then strip the Straggler back for long weekend rides.

On the Midnight Special though - I'm having trouble working out what use cases would separate the Straggler and the MS and why someone would choose one over the other. They both seem like really cool bikes (Midnight Special colour being a notable flub though).
    Note that the pictures generally don't do the color justice. I was initially bummed about the color too, thinking it was white, but the pearly color really is awesome in person.
    it's a challenge some of us are ultimately worthy of.

mtbr member
    but that said the straggler is pretty much going to be my road bike whatever that means these days but i really dont like super high pressure tires and want to keep some off pavement ability because its a straggler and i've found its no good to plan a route on the straggler because im just gonna end up someplace i had no intention of going to...
    This is a quote from the May 73 issue of National Geographic which featured a story about people riding through Alaska (who later started adventurecycling.org IINM):

"We are neither expert cyclist nor physical-fitness fanatics. We simply see the bicycle as an excellent tool for more fully appreciating our environment."--Dan Burden

Straggle on, Wayne.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I've got a stock Straggler, and I'm going to do 200km on pavement in June. I have the stock Knards and think it might be wise to switch them out for less knobby tired. Anyone have any to suggest? I'm also sort of confused as to what size I need to get. Diameter is obvious, but I see no indications on the rim as to what the width is so I'm not sure what size range to go with. Any tips?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Softhackle View Post
    I've got a stock Straggler, and I'm going to do 200km on pavement in June. I have the stock Knards and think it might be wise to switch them out for less knobby tired. Anyone have any to suggest? I'm also sort of confused as to what size I need to get. Diameter is obvious, but I see no indications on the rim as to what the width is so I'm not sure what size range to go with. Any tips?
    You can do a PanaRacer Gravel king slick 700x38 tan wall, they also have a 650B x 42

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Pic of my recently built Straggler.

52cm, wide rims, 40mm Mondials, fenders, White Ind cranks, 2 x 10spd, bar end shifters, front rack and basket.

Sweet commuter.

Surly Straggler-straggler-1.jpg

A God Without A Name
    Gravel Kings are a magnificent can tire. I'm running another Panaracer tire, The Homage by Sim Works. And it rolls incredibly well. Measures at 43. The Soma Shikoro in 42 is totally slick but really fast and smooth for an armored tire in that size. It's also Panaracer but on a stiffer carcass than Gravel Kings and The Homage share. Panaracer made tires are just the best. I haven't found anything changes else yet that I have been as satisfied with.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi mate if its a pavement ride I would go with a set of Schwalbe Marathon Supremes in 700x35c. I run those on my Cross Check and love them. Fast, easy rolling and enough volume to soak up road chatter. When my set wear out I will go up to the 700x40 size for even more Cush.

Surly Straggler-dsc09293.jpg

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi SteveJ, thats a really nice Staggler, is the paint custom? And which fenders are those.

OZ

A God Without A Name
    Quote Originally Posted by Surly in OZ View Post
    Hi SteveJ, thats a really nice Staggler, is the paint custom? And which fenders are those.

OZ
    That's Blueberry Muffin Top. It's the current color. Glitter blue. Looks gorgeous in person.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Agwan View Post
    Gravel Kings are a magnificent can tire. I'm running another Panaracer tire, The Homage by Sim Works. And it rolls incredibly well. Measures at 43. The Soma Shikoro in 42 is totally slick but really fast and smooth for an armored tire in that size. It's also Panaracer but on a stiffer carcass than Gravel Kings and The Homage share. Panaracer made tires are just the best. I haven't found anything changes else yet that I have been as satisfied with.

Quote Originally Posted by Vto2.0 View Post
    You can do a PanaRacer Gravel king slick 700x38 tan wall, they also have a 650B x 42

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Surly in OZ View Post
    Hi mate if its a pavement ride I would go with a set of Schwalbe Marathon Supremes in 700x35c. I run those on my Cross Check and love them. Fast, easy rolling and enough volume to soak up road chatter. When my set wear out I will go up to the 700x40 size for even more Cush.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09293.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	201.2 KB 
ID:	1197442

OZ.

Thanks for the tips guys, I decided to try a pair of the 700x38 gravel kings. I like the sidewalls, plus they're quite a bit cheaper.

mtbr member
    Soft-
    You may have already hit "add to cart" on those Gravel Kings.
    If not, maybe read this.
    https://www.cyclingabout.com/touring...tance-testing/
    It's why I went w/ the Almotions from Schwalbe. I figured they'd be fine and wouldn't notice much difference but, they really seem to roll amazingly well. Despite their portly weight.
    But- every tire listed so far will be fine. And about 40 others that are out there too.

Enjoy that 200k lap. The longer the ride I do the Straggler, the more I like it.

-JCBs
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

A God Without A Name
    I've ridden the all motions. The ones I rode had less tack than the 3 panaracers mentioned. I think they might wear a bit longer. But I didn't like the feel in terms of traction. Really only had issues in corners. And I hate to even call it an issue. Just felt looser, colder.

mtbr member
    Sure itís different here and there but- itís also quite similar to our wonderful stragglers!

https://bikerumor.com/2018/05/31/bri...ith-any-build/

Although I didnít compare any geometry.

-JCB

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    yeah,but does it come in "unicorn vomit" for a color?

Surly Straggler-img_20180601_111834282.jpg

mtbr member
    Say you find a Unicorn. Then say you get it all hambagged on glitter and rainbow juice- are you seriously thinking you can capture that vomit and make paint from it?
    Well Hamster might be able. THe rest of the mortals will have to use Krylon I guess.

And no- that crap wagon knock off does not come in any cool colors. Not even the Toofpaste style.

-JCBs
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

A God Without A Name
    I really friggin like the toothpaste color. I also like the blueberry. But I don't need multiples of the same bike.

Also. This 12 pack cooler from the grocery store is an exact fit for the Wald basket on my Straggler.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Say you find a Unicorn. Then say you get it all hambagged on glitter and rainbow juice- are you seriously thinking you can capture that vomit and make paint from it?
    Well Hamster might be able. THe rest of the mortals will have to use Krylon I guess.

And no- that crap wagon knock off does not come in any cool colors. Not even the Toofpaste style.

-JCBs
    it's really faded quite a bit,more than any other frame i have in spite of near constant exposure to wash and shine

Quote Originally Posted by Agwan View Post
    I really friggin like the toothpaste color. I also like the blueberry. But I don't need multiples of the same bike.

Also. This 12 pack cooler from the grocery store is an exact fit for the Wald basket on my Straggler.

i kinda want a second one,it makes an awesome ss with flat bars,but its also a great drop bar geared bike...

A God Without A Name
    My Straggler already is my second gravel bike. The Wolverine is the comfy, efficient, long distance, light duty, dirt touring bike with 50cm drops and an insanely wide gear range. The Straggler is a simple, all weather bruiser better suited to 10ish mile rides and being beaten around in an urban environment. I'm happy to have both, but if I added a third to that group of bikes, I'd like something lighter duty. That feels smooth on 32's. So a Cross Check. I almost pulled the trigger on one last week. But decided instead to upgrade these two a bit, buy better lights and a fresh helmet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018

The straggler tower

more stragglers in the world for square meter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Straggler-img_20180603_092246_200.jpg  

Last edited by Vincent.Vega; 07-25-2018 at 07:55 AM.

mtbr member
    The Tower of Power! Well, maybe sour? Tower of Purple.

Very nice Vincent.
    Where is that?
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Is in Italy - Verona - Valpolicella (good wine)
    Was a Valpotur on gravel road with some stops in some winery... we were about 50 riders

High Plains Luddite
    Very cool!

mtbr member
    Iím done with them.
    Canít get past about 4-5 rough hours without wondering why a drop bar was ever invented.

Maybe itís my old man neck. Maybe Iím just soft and pasty.
    Either way- the drop bars are leaving my Straggler.
    That means my beloved TRP Hylex brakes must go as well.

Anyone want to buy the perfect hydro disc brake for their Straggler?
    Iíll include the Salsa Woodchipper bars for free.

Just get em out of my world before I melt them down for a neck brace.

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Iím done with them.
    Canít get past about 4-5 rough hours without wondering why a drop bar was ever invented.

Maybe itís my old man neck. Maybe Iím just soft and pasty.
    Either way- the drop bars are leaving my Straggler.
    That means my beloved TRP Hylex brakes must go as well.

Anyone want to buy the perfect hydro disc brake for their Straggler?
    Iíll include the Salsa Woodchipper bars for free.

Just get em out of my world before I melt them down for a neck brace.

-JCB
    woodchippers made no sense to me until i got on my fargo which was sorta designed for them i guess,but the bars being up so high makes them really comfy for my old man back,by far my most comfortable long day bike...

so maybe a riser stem of some sort?

mtbr member
    Riser? Oh I've RISEN! Ran a left over upright Eriksen stem. \
    Even ran these in a midwinter moment of desparation.

Sure, a riser stem and a riser drop bar (odd though it is).
    Never found the position I wanted.
    Some time on the hoods was good. Climbing on the flats too.
    But after too long, it's just too much discomfort. Maybe if I rode drops often. More than 1x every 10 days. Maybe then I'd get used to it.

Instead I'll put a pair of Sweep bars on. And I'll look like I'm delivering papers, but in a comfortable way.

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

A God Without A Name
    I'm running Carver Breitbars, a fairly modern compact that is pretty much the only 50cm wide drop bar out there. It's the only drop bar I like. I'm running 35mm above saddle height.

The Straggler is now running a 760mm bar about 20mm above saddle. All other dimensions are identical. I still prefer the flat bars.

Straggler is just great with flat bars, flat pedals, and some 42c tires.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Riser? Oh I've RISEN! Ran a left over upright Eriksen stem. \
    Even ran these in a midwinter moment of desparation.

Sure, a riser stem and a riser drop bar (odd though it is).
    Never found the position I wanted.
    Some time on the hoods was good. Climbing on the flats too.
    But after too long, it's just too much discomfort. Maybe if I rode drops often. More than 1x every 10 days. Maybe then I'd get used to it.

Instead I'll put a pair of Sweep bars on. And I'll look like I'm delivering papers, but in a comfortable way.

-JCB
    yup.im running soma clarence bars which were on sale at tree fort bikes for 40 bucks and liking them...and singlespeed

mtbr member
    Done and done. I listed the Hylex brakes for sale.
    TRP Hylex Drop Bar Disc Brakes - MTBR Classifieds

I'd say something clever like "get em while you can" but doubt anyone will be breaking down my inbox to get them.
    It's not like your basic enduro rider is hoping to score a new SS CX bike.
    But- if you want them, I'll include the Woodchippers bars.
    And, I'll be more comfy.
    My old neck thanks you.

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    My Straggler got a face lift. Nothing cool looking about it. Drop bars sure look sporty to my eye, but not if the bike hangs on a hook.
    Now it looks like a retired Dad's hand me down paper delivery bike. Decidedly uncool.
    And I love it.
    So much more comfortable.
    Low (ish) cost SLX brakes, 1x11 shifting, and Surly Open Bars (left over from another bike).
    Perfect. Longer days are now finished in so much more comfort.

Photo at some point.

Get out there. Daylight is shrinking. I've seen the few yellow aspen leaves.
    Hope you're on your bike.

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Surly Straggler-img_20180812_102423543.jpgSurly Straggler-img_20180812_134609025.jpgSurly Straggler-img_20180812_142607333.jpg

mtbr member
    I knew I was channeling my inner Hamster.

Is that Titanium?

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    indeed,when i learned that such a thing existed i had to have one...

82 miles yesterday so i needed my medicine!

Chicken Master
    I knew I was channeling my inner Hamster.

Is that Titanium?

-JCB
    What is it that you are asking if it is titanium?

mtbr member
    Colonel,
    Tucked into that shot is a little titanium tube.
    It even has a little dollop of anodizing to match the bike.

It's sitting on the table in front of the Straggler.
    -JCBs
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

Chicken Master
    Colonel,
    Tucked into that shot is a little titanium tube.
    It even has a little dollop of anodizing to match the bike.

It's sitting on the table in front of the Straggler.
    -JCBs
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Hello from the UK! thanks to all you folks for inspiring me to buy a a Straggler. Love the thing!

However, I need some help as I'm having major gearing issues. I'm running 10 speed, 34t x 11-42, with a GX 10 speed rear mech, and it's not going well. The b screw is long enough, but seem to bend past the plate on the mech where it's supposed to push against. Very frustrating. I ran the exact set up on a 29er MTB with no trouble whatsoever.

Any one on here tried running a similar set up?

Thanks in advance for your help 
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Straggler-f9d61a09-d9be-475f-a90b-55758e55e7b9.jpg  

A God Without A Name
    If that screw is bent, replace it. Possibly with a slightly longer one. 10 speed GX didn't always like to swing a 42. As there are several different models of GX 10 speed derailleurs. Some are only meant for 36. Those versions never really get ideal with 11-42. Depending on my customers needs, I've always found a way to make it work. Usually either a roadlink or longer b-tension screw.

mtbr member
    Northern-
    Sorry to hear about your troubles- I had issues w/ my Straggler and a 1x10 set up.
    No reason to believe my issues were related to yours, I used an old battered Shimano set up along w/ a less than great set up for the shifter on a a drop bar.
    After ample futzing w/ it I gave up and went w/ a 1x11 Shimano.
    And it's perfect.
    Good luck.

Otherwise- the Straggler is top notch w/ the mustache bars I'm using.
    So much more comfortable for me.
    It's seeing more and more miles.
    That bike just does it's job.

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Riding the Straggler on the road is fine. Stable and comfy.
    But, the farther I get from smooove road, the more I liked this set up.

As I've written- these mustache bars aren't cool looking but they sure are better for my comfort, and way better when the single track gets a bit more spicy.

Surly Straggler-image.jpg

Keep riding.
    -JCBs
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    yup,i like the soma clarence bars on mine...i wouldn't mind upgrading to a 1x11 though,i've gotten used to having that giant bail out gear...i wouldn't mind a 1x12 when it comes right down to it...

mtbr member
    nevermind.
    A few posts up I found my answer.

-JCBs
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    so then yes,riddler fits fine all the way back in the dropouts,they wear out fairly quickly however,they do good on most surfaces though so i would gladly keep buying them even after wearing out 2 rear tires so far...

mtbr member
    Thanks Hamster.

-JCBs
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    A few other Surly models have popped up with updates for the upcoming season, which had me thinking about the Straggler. Isn't it around October news usually starts to roll out?

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Hi!

I want to buy a Straggler fork to replace my Genesis Croix de Fer fork. The Genesis fork has some quality issues.
    Something is out of whack, because the brake pads grab the rotor about 1-2mm too low. Pretty annoying, although I fixed it with adding two washers under the caliper.
    Another issue, the dropouts are much wider than the actual axle, and I have to fight to put the wheel in straight. But no matter what I do I don't think I can get it perfectly straight. I just can't get the front brakes working properly. I changed rotors and pads and tried pretty much everything but it feels like the rear brakes slow the bike down considerably more than the fronts. I'm pretty sure things are always misaligned because the fork is just simply low quality.

Any similar issues with the Straggler fork? I've never had a Surly product, are they good quality?
    Anyone running a 180mm rotor on this fork? I would love to most likely with a thru bolt although i'm not sure that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Nope. My Straggler fork seems just fine.
    I do wish it had a pair of 3 pack mounts on it though.
    If I was shopping for one, i'd look for that.
    And if you find one that has them? I'll trade you my Staggler fork!
    (but dang Surly forks are heavy, you might be able to find something more svelte)

-JCBs
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Nope. My Straggler fork seems just fine.
    I do wish it had a pair of 3 pack mounts on it though.
    If I was shopping for one, i'd look for that.
    And if you find one that has them? I'll trade you my Staggler fork!
    (but dang Surly forks are heavy, you might be able to find something more svelte)

-JCBs
    I haven't really progressed past 3-4 hour rides yet, so I don't need much carrying space.

My Genesis fork weighs around 1300 grams uncut, and the Straggler fork should be around 1050-1100g at least based on my research. So actually an improvement.

The problem is i'm having a hard time finding pretty much any fork. Almost all carbon forks are tapered. There are 1-2 cheap 1 1/8 carbon forks that I found, but i'm not sure if I trust them.
    No luck with steel forks either. There is the Soma Wolverine thru axle fork which looks amazing, problem is I live in Europe (so no trades) and while it costs around 150-200 bucks in the US it's 300 euros here...

I'm considering the Straggler fork because it's widely available and doesn't cost too much and while I would like a 50mm offset every other spec checks out.

mtbr member
    I'll dig around when I can and see what options you might check out.
    I know Salsa makes a stack of forks but perhaps they aren't readily available or cheap in Europe.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    There are a few places where you can get them here but yeah not cheap. Can't think of anything that would work tho, I think other than the Marrakesh all their forks are tapered.

A God Without A Name
    I have the Wolverine thru axle fork, and the standard Wolverine fork. I feel like the thru axle fork is too stiff for daily riding. But it's on my bikepacker so it works. The Standard Wolverine fork is really soft.

I like the Straggler fork for commuter/ light touring. It's Goldilocks in terms of stiffness. Thru bolt hubs are getting harder to find, so I run it with a DT Swiss RWS skewer.

I swapped the Tange CX fork on my wife's Soma Double Cross for a black Straggler fork with that same skewer. It was a worthwhile investment.

Surly is also making a Midnight Special fork that is pretty damn close to a Straggler fork. But takes a 12mm axle. Might be worth a look.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I would like to run a thru axle fork so I could take out and put back the front wheel without having to adjust the brakes (and frankly I just think it's a better, more logical system). Although I can change the back wheel without needing to adjust the brakes even though it's QR, because unlike the front fork the dropouts on the frame are precise.

Luckily for my wheelset all the end caps and axles are pretty cheap, and there is QR, 9/10mm thru, 12 and 15mm thru.

The Midnight Special fork looks nice, and there is a 50mm offset version. Can't find them in Europe, and from what I see it's not widely available in the US either. Maybe it's too new? Oh and of course I wish it didn't use the damn flat mount standard. The Surly website also says 700x42 max which is what I would like to run but a bit of breathing room would be nice. But looking at pictures that spec seems a bit conservative.

Thanks for the suggestion, i'll keep an eye out for the MS fork.

Edit: Just found a store that can order the MS fork, it costs 180 euros. Seems okay considering it goes for around $180 in the US.
    So around Ä60-70 more than the Straggler fork. Decisions, decisions...
    Last edited by HollyBoni; 09-22-2018 at 04:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Cool-blue Rhythm

Got a set of carbon wheels to test at the moment, I must say losing 2 pounds of weight is noticeable! Probably not gonna be a permanent solution though.

Surly Straggler-img_3276.jpg
    n+1

mtbr member
    Surly Straggler-image.jpg

Wonderful long day on the Straggler yesterday. Great fall colors. Almost all dirt. Maybe 6 cars? In 7 hours.
    Last 2 hrs in the dark. No worries since the dynos keep things bright.
    L has a Traveler's Check waiting in a box that she doesn't know about.
    A fatter tire than her '94 Ibis Hakkalugi will be nice for some of the travel we do.

Now it's rainy and cold so I just wandered around the Internet looking for a fork that could replace a Straggler's. Sure, there are options but none really jump out at me.
    Given the price of a Surly fork, I have to wonder if a custom builder could make one for only a little bit more.

This guy is one option.

https://waltworks.com

Not that it really matters but he's a super quick rider and just a damned fun person to be near.
    He makes plenty of forks. I'd guess he'd make about whatever you want.
    W/ or w/o mounts. TA or QR.
    And he'd probably ship it where ever you want, and paint it however you want.

Either way- go ride.
    It's a wonderful time of the year in the northern hemisphere.

-JCBs
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member

Where'd your Straggler take you recently?

The wind won't stop. Winter is looming.
    So I feel like I stole this from the end of the season.
    Surly Straggler-img_0776%5B1%5D.jpg

-JCBones
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    getting to be our prime riding season here...our fall colors are tan and grey however...

mtbr member

Now it's rainy and cold so I just wandered around the Internet looking for a fork that could replace a Straggler's. Sure, there are options but none really jump out at me.
    Given the price of a Surly fork, I have to wonder if a custom builder could make one for only a little bit more.

This guy is one option.

https://waltworks.com

-JCBs
    Walt made me a fork for my Straggler. Easy to work with, quick turnaround. All around great experience.
    "Ride what you love, love what you ride"

A God Without A Name
    Pics?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i have to withdraw any endorsements i made in the past regarding the wtb riddler...just discovered another weird blister thingy in a nearly new tire where the tread is separating from the carcass...2 of 3 riddlers have done this now...

mtbr member
    They must have a bad run or 3. I have 2 sets that are older that have none of that.
    Skinwall?

mtbr member
    Dang- guess I'll see.
    Mine should be here Thursday.
    Suppose I'll hold off using the homemade tubeless brew for now!
    -JCBones.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    They must have a bad run or 3. I have 2 sets that are older that have none of that.
    Skinwall?
    nope,regular black sidewalls...

Dang- guess I'll see.
    Mine should be here Thursday.
    Suppose I'll hold off using the homemade tubeless brew for now!
    -JCBones.
    maybe since the great divide race is about 20% in new mexico i should only expect the tires to last 20% as long!

mtbr member
    Itís all the cattle guards in NM that are destroying them.
    Six zillion cattle guards is about all I remember of the NM part of the divide.
    Well- that and Pie Town.

Back in 98 I used the Continental Top Tour 2000 on a thin tubbed Salsa CX bike.
    I swear they were 700x47. Huge (in my memory anyway).

They were just a tire, they received no press (no real internet then so why would they?)
    Now they would be the sponsored tire for whatever local grinder event the local brewery was sponsoring.

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    yeah,i guess it was foolish to think i could use a gravel tire on new mexico dirt roads since our gravel would be called rocks anywhere else....anything smaller than a baby head is smooth sailing here...

i'm bummed because the straggler is out of action for a few weeks...only leaves me with 5 awesome bikes to ride!

mtbr member
    Iíll say a prayer for you and hope that, in her divine wisdom, the Universe will find a way to help you get through this dark dark time.

-JB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i'm glad you can feel my pain...ah well,i need to put more miles on the salsa fleet anyway...i'm down to it costing me $4.36 a mile to ride them...only 11,000 more miles to get it to a buck a mile!

mtbr member
    Screw you people and your numbers. Making my head all fuzzy and useless.
    (I'm looking at you tire manufacturers)
    I must have asked Hamster 100x about the WTB Riddler.
    "Will it fit?, What about on the front? The back? Where is the rear axle? What if it rains? Will it charge my phone? Will I be required to wear a vintage cotton cap under my helmet? I don't wear Rapha... will I have to?"
    He patiently answered the questions, even when I asked them more than once.

I pulled the haggard Nano 40s off.
    I didn't want to-but I really like the gum walls.
    It was good to ditch cracked/torn/dry gum walls in the early 90s, now they are back.
    Let's hope there's been an improvement.

Much more supple tires than the Nanos. And isnt supple the new buzzword that ole Jan Heine has been shouting for decades?
    42mm width for the Nanos. And a not so whooping 45 for these.
    So well... I gained 1.5mm per side.

Glad to try them though.

-JCBs
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

Ride On
    This is a long shot but figured Iíd try. I have a 54cm 650b Straggler in black and was wondering if anyone here has considered moving up a size from a 52cm and would be interested in swapping? I had previously had this bike set up with flats and recently converted to drops and in this configuration itís just a bit to long for me. Iím already running a 70mm 17deg stem mounted up. Any shorter and I think Iíd be pushing the handling envelope a bit to far.

Frame is in great shape with the exception of the nine drive side sticker peeling off on a couple spots.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    I take it back.
    The Riddler tires are substantially more plush than the Nano 40.
    Not much wider- but much better. Sad that they wear so quick, nice that the roll so quick.
    Anyone else notice their smell?
    Leave in the van, in the sun? Noticeable.

Rode them on the WhiteRim.
    Is the Straggler the right bike for that? For about 90% of it- absolutely.
    But that other 10% tends to weed you down by the 8th hour. It would have been nice to hold the momentum over the rocky parts but the narrower tire made me brake, bumble along, then bring the pace back up.
    But even still- Iíd do it again.

Surly Straggler-ee4a2911-be6c-4913-b847-654a22a8771b.jpg

Heck- if we could get a group of us to Straggle it?
    Iíd definitely do it again.
    Misery loves company.

-JCB
    🧟*♀️
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Rode them on the WhiteRim...

Actually, I didn't want to post here before I introduce myself and my freshly build up Straggler - but damn, this is quite a perfect spot to straggle around! I visited Canyonlands this summer (and two more times in the last years), but only on foot. Did you make the whole White Rim Trail?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I take it back.
    The Riddler tires are substantially more plush than the Nano 40.
    Not much wider- but much better. Sad that they wear so quick, nice that the roll so quick.
    Anyone else notice their smell?
    Leave in the van, in the sun? Noticeable.

Rode them on the WhiteRim.
    Is the Straggler the right bike for that? For about 90% of it- absolutely.
    But that other 10% tends to weed you down by the 8th hour. It would have been nice to hold the momentum over the rocky parts but the narrower tire made me brake, bumble along, then bring the pace back up.
    But even still- Iíd do it again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EE4A2911-BE6C-4913-B847-654A22A8771B.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	371.4 KB 
ID:	1222929

Heck- if we could get a group of us to Straggle it?
    Iíd definitely do it again.
    Misery loves company.

-JCB
    🧟*♀️
    yup,it's a shame about the riddlers,i really liked them for the riding around here,and my old bones appreciated the extra plushness on pavement...and realistically the fargo has replaced the straggler in most scenarios where i would have ridden the straggler...not only for the 2.8 inch tires,but there already being a proper set of adventure blisters to attach the absurd number of water bottles needed for summertime riding....

and the straggler is sitting missing tires at this point,which i'm bummed about in spite of having enough bikes to ride...thinking of some schwalbe g-one tires in 38c and just going back to being a drop bar 90% paved road bike with the 1x11....or maybe back to drop bar ss...

mtbr member
    Hamster- I'm continually amazed by the perpetual evolution of your bikes.
    The Fargo was ahead of it's time. Didn't make sense to many, now NAHBS is pulluted w/ similar ideas.

Panaracer makes the Gravel King SK.
    I'm about to lace up a pair of Traverl's Checks for us to travel w/.
    Will likely put those on. Wanted the Ridderls but might as well save a few $$ and (maybe) get more miles out of them.
    The intent is to use small F racks/bags w/ a frame/seat pack.
    So some loss of easy pedaling won't be noticed too much.

Frerk- yes. Did the entire loop. I seem to do that thing at least once a year. Normally in a day.
    Not sure I'd recommend the Straggler for most people riding it in a day. But if you are used to a slightly harsh ride for a few hours? Well it's fine.
    I keep yapping about these bars and won't stop anytime soon but have to say, the swept bars are (still) so much more comfy than drops for me. Especially after a few hours of the front end chattering over debris.
    My wrists would have been bags of dust by the end had I been perched on the hoods all day.

-JCBs
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    GK SKs are really great tyres and they don't wear too quick, just try to not do too many skids even when you're offroad. Killed my rear one quick that way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

New Bike Day!

WOOHOO. Finally got one! Custom build from parts begged from friends and parts that came from the bargain bin (and some that didn't haha).

Went with flatbars first - my friend who manages the shop I got this from recommended the flatbars as the somewhat cheaper option (road/gravel groupsets cost more here).

And I had an old school MTB build in mind for this... hence i call it my TBTMTB.

Surly Straggler-psx_20181111_202004.jpg
    Surly Straggler-psx_20181111_202114.jpg

Bars need cutting and my friend pointed out that I need to move the rear a bit forward (as I have the rear axle maxed out towards the rear of the slot).

mtbr member
    That's a good looking Straggler! It's got the KISS thing going. Nice and simple. A zombie bike to be grabbed along w/ peanut butter when the hordes attack.
    I'ts really perfect. Not much more to add or take off (though I'd argue for fenders now and then).

And as for the drop bars? Well... I'm still hanging on to the Woodchippers but only because they haven't yet (anyone need a pair?Cheeeaaap! Buy the Hylex brakes and I'll give you the bars for free) found a home.
    I'm all about about any bar that isn't a drop. But man.... My eye just keeps getting drawn to all the bikes out there (esp what's on the Radavist site) w/ drops.
    The ego is an expensive companion.

Then there's this (but clearly his riding is something other than just Straggling along)
    https://www.cyclingabout.com/drop-ba...touring-bikes/

Hope you are riding.
    Snow here. Is it time to put the fat wheels on the Wednesday.....?

-JCBs
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Oh yea- Pfancos-
    What the heck kind of bike do we see in the background of your Straggler shot?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Oh yea- Pfancos-
    What the heck kind of bike do we see in the background of your Straggler shot?
    HAHAHA Will try to get a better shot of it when I get home later. I live in a low rise condo complex so it's my neighbor's surplus japanese folding bike. Looks funky - but there are lots here coz they're cheap and very utilitarian.

@Johnny - thanks man! Will be looking at getting a rack and maybe a couple fenders. It may sound shallow, but im a bit concerned that the fenders may throw off the aesthetic HAHA. But friends say I will need it either way when I commute with the bike come rainy season.
    Last edited by prancisfena; 11-13-2018 at 08:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Some non-drive side love...my Straggler last summer after a quick overnight trip from St Regis MT to Wallace ID.

Surly Straggler-319361f8-7f17-4144-9a2f-b7a7b883bbae.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Surly Straggler-6ac5e138-a840-46a6-b915-aa6c9bd8c31e.jpeg

New color and 1x drivetrain.

A God Without A Name
    That red with gold flake is even hotter than the blue glitter. I don't need two Stragglers. But I wish I did. Maybe a basic little single speed is in order. A "Urban Racer" minimalist build perhaps.

mtbr member
    Wow-- I gots issues w/ red. Seems to end up on too many of my bikes.
    That's a good looking bike.

-JCBs
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

CS2
    mtbr member
    For all the Straggler owners out there do you think Surly will keep it in the line up for the future? It seems some of the newer offerings have addressed complaints on the Straggler. You can never tell with Surly. I was shocked when they announced the Pacer was going away. I owned one and my brother still does. They are great frames and make an excellent do it all bike.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

A God Without A Name
    When the Straggler came out I feel the Geo was ahead of it's time. It's a bike that feels perfect on a 700x42 tire. And there are now a Ton of tire options around that size. It's manners also sit in a sweet spot, dead in the middle of the cross check and disc trucker.

I feel it is time to update the rear drop outs. They're really my only lasting complaint with the bike.

It would be a mistake for Surly to cancel this bike. And I doubt they will any time soon. As it sells well and is a part of the whole "gravel bike" trend that is red hot right now.

Pacer was a great bike. But it hadn't sold well for ages. No one was shocked to see it go, just like the instigator it just sat on QBP not moving units.

mtbr member
    Interesting question. Surly hasn't ever been too mecurial w/ their line up. Plenty of soup du jour bikes come and go but they are mostly in that (lightly) outdated and just fine category of usability.
    The Straggler does fill the gap for much of what the current market wants in a gravel/adventure/blah blah bike. But then again, so do other bikes they make.

I'd bet on a bit of a facelift eventually, but not dropped. Nah. Not yet.

-JCBs
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

A God Without A Name
    Speaking of bikes that look like they might go away. I better buy a Steamroller soon. Every time they restock that bike, the quantities are less and less.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    As said I wanted to introduce myself or more so my Straggler.
    52cm in hight (the bike, not me), Blueberry Muffintop blue. Build up with used parts from the mystrious parts-bin in the basement: Apex 2x10 with Rival chainset. Specialized alloy bars (44cm) and Roubaix tape. Spec alloy post and saddle Romin comp gel. Salsa stem 90mm, ergotec headset. Roval slx 24 wheels (DT 350 hub), TRP Spyre brakes with Avid rotors. SKS Bluemels mudguards, Shimano PD-EH500 pedals.
    It's meant to be a bad weather commuter and winter training bike, but it's so much more. The versatilest bike I ever had, I love it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Straggler-1.jpg  

Surly Straggler-3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Just built this straggler this afternoon. Have been riding a cross check 56cm the last year, but found a local deal on a pre loved 56cm Stragglgnar. Sold my frame set, built this baby out of the ashes.

38x18 singlespeed for now, deciding on what 2x crankset to go with. Iíve got 10 speed XTR shifters, derailleurs, 11-36 cassette waiting on a geared build soon.

Got the usual assortment of Thomson, cambium C17. Highlights include Paul Canti levers with TRP Spyre brakes, pizza rack with Wald basket and DoughnutSack bakers dozen Xpac basket bag, custom Xpac half frame bag from the previous owner, surly Moloko bars

Loved my Cross Check, but really wanted to have discs for all the wet weather, slimy trails, and maybe some 650b wheels in the future. 700x45 specialized fatboy tires fit with lots of room on 19mm inner Alex rims
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Straggler-981ed734-67c2-4a68-959c-4a8005af8b3a.jpg  

Surly Straggler-b8e651d0-340e-4396-b0f8-19efe5dabfd3.jpg  

yep... another bike shop guy

mtbr member
    Cash- looks like maybe you taped your bars?
    I never seem to get the Molokos taped up right.
    Can you send a photo?
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I have them wrapped asementricaly because I usually have a bottle mount and grab bag strapped inside here. This leaves me two nice spots to stretch out onto, nice for climbing out of saddle, etc. I ride with my hands on the grips most of the time though

Cash- looks like maybe you taped your bars?
    I never seem to get the Molokos taped up right.
    Can you send a photo?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Straggler-8dbc05f2-31fa-41ae-a739-26dae760d4d8.jpg  

mtbr member
    I think I've done and considered every tape option for Molokos. Too much time pedaling along while staring at the stem area.
    Yours is simple and clean. More so than the complete tape jobs I've done.

Thanks for taking the time.
    -JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Out of here in the morning for Spain.
    Wish the Straggler was coming, but the packable Traveler's Check travels for less $$.
    All dirt route along the southern side of the country. All I hear about is the food. So I intend to have too much coffee and too much ham (since I keep hearing it's amazing).

All bike pack, no racks and panniers this trip. Already miss the capacity of the smoother touring set ups we've used. Mrs Chicken Bones is still trying to shoehorn the aero press into her frame bag.

Once we are back, it'll be Straggler season. All the wonderful loops here and there will be opening up.

I hope you are all riding when you can.
    (Posted here since this is a good thread, w/ fun folks. And- the TC is damned similar to the Straggler)

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    JCB, have an awesome trip! Looking forward to pictures!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Hey JCB enjoy the trip, I was in Barcelona over Christmas! No riding, lots of cava and ham though. Hope you like seafood!

High Plains Luddite
    Best wishes for a great trip. Send us a postcard!

mtbr member

Don't you dare underestimate the glory of steel frames and V-brakes!

We are back from Spain and the endless stumble/fumble/schwacking of the dirt route we did.
    Not sure I've ever experienced such a large variety of terrain in a single tour. Nearly everything but snow/mud.

Always different and don't you dare think you've got it figured out. ONe pass later and you're walking down a rock field wondering where the easy miles went.

No, my Straggler present but only because the Traveler's Checks fly on the cheap!
    That said- this frame is pretty much a Straggler. So that's why I'll write this in our thread.

I was astounded at how well this bike managed the Rougher terrain.
    Now and then I would have wanted the 29+, but only for short sections. Maybe a mile or so. Some of the climbs. But over all- the cross frame w/ a 43 tire? (Panaracer Gravel King- and it was a great tire) And those ancient v-brakes? Damned thing was nearly perfect. Even w/ the overnight kit on each bike.
    I've ridden ample on cross bikes. Lots of trail that a skinny tire shouldn't be on. But I was younger. More flexible. Had reflexes. Could read fine print. They were different times.

Wonderful. So- at times I wanted a wider cushier tire. AT times. But the rest of the time, the other 90%? I was so damned content on that bike.

Don't go letting the webs tell you that you need something new.
    Old tech is still wonderful valuable tech.

(This isn't news to most of you, shouldn't be to me either. But I was astounded at how perfect the bikes were.)

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    That time of year for us. Straggle season. No single track locally, but lots of pave/dirt to be had.
    Still damned happy on this bike. Sturdy, stable, surefooted. Comfy.

Might be Straggling the White Rim on Star Wars day (May the 4th be with you).
    Anyone want to join a group that's not interesting in setting fastest times.

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Please let me introduce myself and my Straggler.

I picked it up around a month and a half ago. The shop had to order one in for me, as there's only one dealer where I live in Australia and they keep a very limited stock. I was happy that here on the other side of the world we still had the Blueberry colour left. I wouldn't mind the pink, don't get me wrong, but blue is my colour!
    I've been loving it so far. Drop bars were new to me, as was an aggressive (relatively) geometry with the possibility for toe overlap. But the sweet handling makes it worth it. It just seems to turn where I think! Coming from a Giant hybrid it's a huge step up in all aspects.
    It's super-heavy with the Surly Disc Rack on back, but it honestly doesn't feel like it when riding, only carrying up the stairs!

I took the photo below on my way to my weekend job. I work at a winery in a wine region about 45 minutes drive from my town. Luckily, I can take a train most of the way there and ride the last ~11km on this former rail line converted to a shared path. It's my motivation to go to work, and one of the best parts of my week for sure.

I also wanted to say thank you to everyone that has posted on this thread. I must have read all 32 pages while waiting for my bike to arrive! I particularly enjoy Johnny Chicken Bones' posts - you have a way with words.

Anyway, here it is:
    Surly Straggler-img_2275.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice mudguards, what are those?

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by dfuse View Post
    Nice mudguards, what are those?
    They're SKS of some description. Not sure exactly the model as the shop installed them. Seem to work alright, though it hasn't rained yet all year :O

mtbr member
    Thanks, I need new ones, will try SKS

mtbr member
    Yep. I run the SKS as well.
    Plenty of stainless fasteners, mostly rattle free (their front plastic cap had issues on 2 sets we have, but that's an easy fix) and not terrible looking.

Out of vanity, I took a new pair and added paint to the inside of them. You can't see this underside's painting except thru a small pinstrip on the tops of the fenders. Very small subtle little bit of flair.

-JCBs
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    No way right?
    Never in a million years. They wonít fit. But maybe?
    https://www.wtb.com/products/venture

Iím running WTB Riddlers in their 700/45.
    These are 700/50. So (on paper) just 2.5mm wider per side.
    And if not on both ends, then perhaps just on the front?

Itís late. I should be working.
    But my brain never seems to wonder.

Hamster? Any thoughts?

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Iíve learned this lesson before, like Iíve learned many of them. Again and again.
    I have issues w/ my bikes that arenít getting ridden enough- the Straggler is one of them. Itís pretty similar to others that I use. Maybe I should make room in that stack of bikes....

Then rides like Sundayís occur.
    Needed to ride a ways to meet Lulu (of the blue eyes and shiny smiles) and friends. Some pretty chunky rough crap burger Colorado roads (Devilís Punchbowl ring a bell?) but also knew thereís be smooove dirt, and smoover pavement. Lots of each. Well, clearly the Straggler My best tool.

I loaded it up w/ extra water and too many Honey Stinger waffles. Stumbled/slipped over plenty of snow. Marveled at endless early season flowers. And upset one side by side ATV (4 square mealers we call them). Upset the occupants that is.
    Felt the rear tire touch down a bit hard. Heard my homemade tubeless brew do it Ďs job (mostly).
    Watched the light fade.
    And finally stumbled in to the destination in time to eat left over dinner.

Lessons learned:
    The steel frame will never die.
    The Straggler works really well in many many places. When itís most out of itís league Iím usually carrying it anyway.
    QRs are ample. AMPLE CLAMPING FORCE for this bike. Donít let the industry brainwash you (or me again) into thinking that they arenít adequate.
    I love dyno hubs/lights.
    I stand by my belief that drop bars were made by the devil to torture those that have Ďt learned the gospel of sweep bars.
    Why did it take us all so long to put frame bags on bikes? (Sure- they arenít new, but they havenít been Common until more recently)

(As before- I tried to upload a photo a few times but the vintage outdated MTBR photo portal denied me)

I donít care what you do it on- but I hope you are out pedaling somewhere.

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    No way right?
    Never in a million years. They wonít fit. But maybe?
    https://www.wtb.com/products/venture

Iím running WTB Riddlers in their 700/45.
    These are 700/50. So (on paper) just 2.5mm wider per side.
    And if not on both ends, then perhaps just on the front?

Itís late. I should be working.
    But my brain never seems to wonder.

Hamster? Any thoughts?

-JCB
    I tried a set of Soma Cazadero 700x50 on my struggle-bus back when I had it, it didn't not roll, too close, but the ventures might be different, perhaps the knobs are smaller or they could measure out to run under the said size they should run? I had them on a set of velocity alieron wheels and i know wheels also play a factor of how tires will measure, but like you said, could be used a front and the rear could be a little smaller ?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    QRs are ample. AMPLE CLAMPING FORCE for this bike. DonÔŅĹt let the industry brainwash you (or me again) into thinking that they arenÔŅĹt adequate.
    Been riding my Straggler daily for years now, if there is one thing I would like to change it's the dropouts. I need to recenter my wheel monthly. I would love to have dropouts like my steel Kona Honzo, always perfectly centered.

mtbr member
    dfuse-
    I'm guessing that's the R wheel that's slipping? Bummer.
    As I wrote my last thread I had forgotten the Surly hocus pocus dropouts. While I still don't think it has to be TA, something that doesn't allow the drift/shift of the R axle would be nice. Haven't experienced slippage w/ the Strraggler (but have w/ a Surly Wednesday and it's thru axle)-It's pretty bad when it occurs.

During a mid 90s lawsuit against a QR manufacturer I knew a guy that was testing various QRs clamping forces.
    I was surprised to learn that all the cool anodized slick fast guy stuff wasn't as good as just about any rickety old boring Shimano QR.

What QRs are you using?

I also have a steel Honzo.
    It's rear sliders are about as set/forget as any I've used. More so than the Paragon sliders on other bikes.

-JCBs
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

A God Without A Name
    Someone else in this thread combined Monkey Nuts V2 with a DT Swiss RWS skewer, I copied them and have had zero issues since.

really only works for those of use who us 1x or a very low profile front derailleur (I use a R8000 Ultegra) Doesn't help the single speed crowd. But I've been happy with it. different rear drop outs and more rear tire clearance would also be appreciated. but in the mean time It's a perfectly pleasant commuter.

mtbr member
    Yeah I forgot to mention I ride singlespeed. I've been using a BB QR but it broke last week (the plastic top was worn and didn't grip anymore), I switched to a Shimano QR from my 4x bike cause I needed to get to work and it seems to hold up better. I also ordered a bolt-on axle, but I doubt I will be able to put enough force on it to clamp.

@JCB, what do you mean with 'w/ a Surly with thru axle'?

mtbr member
    The Surly Wednesday uses their 177mm Gnotboost drop out.
    Sort of a horizontal dropout but w/ a thru axle.

Surly Straggler-ed20448c-0d76-4538-99fa-e53dfa7468bf.jpg

I was saying that even w/ that cranked down- Iíve experienced slippage. (Mostly when landing a jump while on the brakes, always a classy I screwed up move).
    If I clean/grease the TAís threads I can get a bit more ummph in tightening it. Then it does fine.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Ah, didn't know 'Wednesday' was a type of bike, thought you were talking about the day of the week I once did some quick Googling to find a frame like the Straggler but with the dropouts of the Honzo, didn't find anything.

mtbr member
    Been riding my Straggler daily for years now, if there is one thing I would like to change it's the dropouts. I need to recenter my wheel monthly. I would love to have dropouts like my steel Kona Honzo, always perfectly centered.

I use a no name bolt on QR....not so QR I guess! I run SS and have never had the hub move over the years I've owned the Straggler. Are you using the adjust bolts correctly? If they are positioned correctly I don't see how the rear hub moves given they'd be holding it in place.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Wow you keep your bike clean, mine looks a lot worse In my defense, I do ride it daily in all sorts of weather, the letters on the frame also have peeled off partly over the years. The drive train is always in perfect condition though. But I like the ragged look it has now, it looks less interesting to steal

I do use the adjust bolts, I'd just wish they were two on each side, instead of only one in alternating directions. Since I run SS and I wear out chains a lot, I often need to readjust to keep the chain tension right. I also find it a pain to center the wheel after loosening the QR, somehow it always takes me a few tries to keep the chain tension as I want it AND get the wheel perfectly centered (which I do on sight, I don't see any other way or reference). Perhaps it's because I fiddle a lot with the rear wheel like that, that it's not always properly clamped. And to be completely honest, I also pull a chariot around with two boys of 19 kg each in it. I think when braking it also puts a lot of force on the QR.

mtbr member
    That photo was taken when the bike was new. That's why it is so clean.

Nothing stops you from running 4 adjustment bolts. Just source a couple more and thread them in.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I just checked my frame, seems it is only possible to add another bolt on the drive side, the non-drive side only has one hole? Am I seeing it wrong?

mtbr member
    I just checked my frame, seems it is only possible to add another bolt on the drive side, the non-drive side only has one hole? Am I seeing it wrong?
    No. That could be right I don't have my Straggler in front of me at work. I've never bothered with more than the stock 2 adjusters since my hub never moves.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    The Straggler has had two (that I know of) dropouts. Well- same dropout, but w/ two ways to run the set screw.

https://surlybikes.com/blog/straggler_dropout_update

From somewhere on this endless thread I learned to use to older style Monkey Nuts (V1).
    The hub drops into itís spot, butts up agains the nuts (about midway thru that drop outs range). I screw the little set screws in to push the axle up against the nuts. Good to go.
    So far.

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member

Rediscovering the Straggler

Got my fat ass back on the Straggler after a loonng break. What a fool.Surly Straggler-3c458010-da69-493d-989d-8a6420e212af.jpg

mtbr member
    Youíre a fool for not being on it?
    Or picking it back up again?
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Youíre a fool for not being on it?
    Or picking it back up again?
    For sitting on the couch letting collect dust. I guess when the times right, itís right.

mtbr member
    Funny that you posted this.
    Yesterday I pulled mine down for some too rare miles.
    And loved it as usual.

Anyone want to meet in Utah for a 2-3 day Straggler only bike pack?
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    I keep finding myself sifting through pages like this one.
    Never when the sun is out, always late at night.

Itís the typical stack of bikes. Interesting to see the folks that are running it all pretty lean/light. And others have impressive stacks of bike pack bags.
    Way down at the bottom of the list is a man from Scotland riding a Straggler.
    Safe Travels Marcus!
    (And the rest of you stepping up for that long ride)

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    I keep finding myself sifting through pages like this one.
    Never when the sun is out, always late at night.

Itís the typical stack of bikes. Interesting to see the folks that are running it all pretty lean/light.
    And others have impressive stacks of bike pack bags.

Way down at the bottom of the list is a man from Scotland riding a Straggler.
    Safe Travels Marcus!

(And the rest of you stepping up for that long ride)

https://bikepacking.com/bikes/2019-s...ain-race-rigs/

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    what wheels are you running here? i'd like to convert over to road plus but am struggling to find a 27.5/650b wheelset with the 100mm/135 spacing

any suggestions?

thanks

mtbr member
    This could be a good time to lace up your own wheels!
    Teach yourself. Itís not terribly hard if you have the time to learn. Your first pair might not be perfect, but you might be surprised at how good they are.
    The book The Bicycle Wheel is a good place to start.
    Worst thing doing it yourself is finding a good low cost truing stand.

My recommendation would be to use DT 350 hubs.
    Absolutely fool and bomb proof. Wonderful hubs.
    DT spokes.
    Whatever rim you find thatís tubeless and fits your budget.

Or- spend a bit more and this guy will make perfect wheels however you want them.
    Heís really super skilled building these things. Itís his world.
    He knows what works and what hasnít.
    https://lacemine29.com/

Me?
    Iím using Bike Hub Store (maybe they sell wheels too?) hubs.
    Sapim spokes.
    WTB KOM rims.
    Riddler 700c tires. (Wonderful but easy to wear out)
    And homemade sealant.

And all is well.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Straggler Season is near!
    Or maybe here ifín youíre up high.

Our leaves are changing, the dirt roads are calling.
    Go pedal. But take some shots and post em please.

Iím headed to pedal in the beautiful Illinois but will be bringing the Travelerís Check instead of the Straggler. But- know Iíll be missing the Straggler!

-JCBs
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    JCB, what size riddler you have out back?
    My rockitship will not fit the 45, which is why mine eyes are wandering...

mtbr member
    Chipper- Sorry for the late reply. I was busy
    A- riding a non Straggler (Travelerís Check) on a tour. For the record- when the zombies come, Iím grabbing the cats, Better Half, and likely that bike where we flee.
    V-brakes, S&S couplers, and a bunch of soft bags? You can do about anything. Go about anywhere. (But what I should do is ask someone to add S&S couplers to the Straggler and just reduce the bike clutter by one!)
    And B- unable to respond since MTBR and my phone donít like each other. Each time Iíd try Iíd get some BS message about IP addresses.

Anyway- my Straggler has 45 Riddlers. I pretty much love them but as Hamster has said- they arenít long for this world. The are great tires with the exception of tread life.
    To save a bit, I might end up using a Panaracer Gravel King on the Straggler when I next switch itís shoes.
    Those have been perfect on that aforementioned TravCheck.

I think the 45 is perfect unless you anticipate that glue like mud some areas see. If you had a super muddy tire, youíd definitely be missing some paint on the inside of the chainstays.
    Iím happy to post a shot of the clearance/Clarence if youíd like to see it.

The leaves are changing quick in our neck of the woods.
    Go ride. Winter is coming!

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Thanks. Yeah, some pics would be awesome. I have the fever, but I just ordered a 40 to try on the fairdale. We donít have that type of mud here in New England, and the paint is a non issue.
    mid love to see the clearance and where the axle ends up happy with that size sneaker.
    Cheers.

mtbr member
    I spent too long wondering if these tires were too wide.
    Heck, after a few hundred miles I stared wondering if I could go just a bit more wide.
    Nope and nope. Even w/ my disregard for the perfect way to do it- Iím pretty sure nobody could fit a wider tire than this.
    Also, again, in mud this would either scrape itself clean or would be an issue. Depending on the mud I suppose.

The wheel is set back about halfway in the dropouts.

Surly Straggler-ad80dc2c-016a-45b5-a8de-8f3ffca8a842.jpg

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Oh- if the Riddler is just cutting it too close for your comfort- Iíd also say the Panaracer Gravel King in a 43 is a good option.
    Itís, as youíd guess, just a shade more narrow than the Riddler but just a bit. Blindfolded youíd never know which of the two you were on.
    Very similar tread pattern. Super close width to the Riddler. And rolls wonderfully.

We rode them on a trip in Spain that hit nearly every form of terrain a trip can. (Well, no snow but otherwise it was singletrack, gnarly, pave, gravel, packed dirt, cobbles, etc)
    For that trip? Loaded w/ gear/food for weeks? It was great.
    https://panaracerusa.com/product/gra...all-road-tire/
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Youíre the man. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Gremlins? Misfits? Contrarians?
    There are many on my Straggler- none that are the bikeís fault. They are all part of my various needs that donít play well together.

I like to ride this bike on the longer stuff. Itís comfy and bombproof. Just does itís job w/o fanfare. Itíll work longer than my knees.
    But I wanted a bit of cargo space. So I use a Revelate Tangle bag. Now the bag is in the way of easy access to water bottles.
    No sweat, Iíll just use side entry cages to those two bottle mounts.

Oh... I wish I had more water for the long desert loops.
    No sweat, Iíll just put them on the fork. Thereís midblade mount so... Well Iíll just get a wolftooth B-Rad mount. Way overpriced. But pretty helpful. So thereís one on each leg. Now I can run bottles on each leg, or cargo cages.

Oh... I should get a B-Rad double barrel so I can put two bottles on the down tube.
    Dang... the seat tube cage is in the way of the bag. Itís too high. So Iíll add another (is that really 4 of these damned things?) B-Rad to that too. Lower the mount a bit. Now I can use a quart bottle without interfering w/ the bag.

Iíve been using it as a 1x11. But at the end of the long days, Itíd be nice to have a smaller F ring. Oh- Iíll just add an inner ring and will switch it by hand for the longer ups.

Those long days go well w/ wider tires. So, Iíll use the Riddler in a 45. Perfect.

Man... Itíd be real nice to switch that F ring w/ a shifter.
    Sure... Order one up. Oh hell, the F der now hits the B-Rad mount on the seat tube.
    No sweat, I can space it out easy enough.

Oh... hell, now that fat tire hits the F der.
    No sweat, Iíll just move it back in the frame, after removing the Monkey Nuts.

But as the snow is falling here in Colorado, its an easy way to waste a Sunday afternoon.

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member

White Rim Lap on the Straggler (again).

I am a low hanging fruit when it comes to this ride.
    Itís a long day, one that I finish feeling glad to see the car.
    Each time I do it, while watching the sun come up, I get that excited feeling of a long day on the bike in front of me.
    By the 7th hour that has fully faded and Iím wondering (again and again) why Iím here. The sun feels extra hot. My food choices are never quite what Iím hungry for. And where we are on the loop is still too far from who I wish we were.

This time I was also wondering why I was on the Straggler.
    Not the first time Iíve bumped along that 100 miles on the skinnier option of my bikes.
    And also not the first time I remembered itís really perfect for much of it. And really the wrong choice for lots of it.

A friend brought his vintage commuter- a Slingshot. Now... if you donít know the Slingshot, be sure to search for some info on it.
    We traded bikes for a bit.
    His clapped out fork (itís just a commuter, and this is just a road ride, and heís really good as suffering comfortably) and Thudbuster (or whatever version he used) made his bike feel like a couch compared to the Straggler.

But, as usual, the hours passed. The miles got behind us. And we finished.
    I tell myself Iím done w/ that ride.
    Certainly done doing it on a rigid skinny bike. But Iím probably wrong.
    Some long time friend will say ďHey, we should do that....Ē and Iíll say ďAbsolutely! Meet Sunday eve?Ē
    And the cycle will repeat.

Right or wrong- I still love that Straggler.
    When the zombies come Iíll grab it along w/ the cats, peanut butter, and either ammo or skittles.

Surly Straggler-4372afb5-cb1c-4580-b612-1e5612cef20e.jpg

Ride more.
    Surf this web stuff less. (My motto, not my practice so much!)
    JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    What a view!!

mtbr member
    I wish I could post other pics but the archaic MTBR photo system runs on coal and still uses dial up.
    Or something along those lines.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I wish I could post other pics but the archaic MTBR photo system runs on coal and still uses dial up.
    Hey, if it was good enough in 1992 it's good enough now! Goddamn kids!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Would love to see them, tho. Went down shafer and potash by car this summer. Stunning piece of earth.

mtbr member
    Hereís some more photos from the ride.
    The shots that show just how large that landscape in catch my eye the most.

Big Wheel Building: Out in the world.

Now...
    When are we going to put together a Straggler only day lap or bike pack?

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    I didnít see a single surly in that pic.

mtbr member
    That pic? Was the link only one photo?
    Thereís one Surly in that group, but its not easy to tell. The gut riding the bike w/ the handle bars better suited to paper delivery- thatís a Straggler.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Hereís some more photos from the ride.
    The shots that show just how large that landscape in catch my eye the most.

Big Wheel Building: Out in the world.

Now...
    When are we going to put together a Straggler only day lap or bike pack?
    -JCB
    Finally found the time to gape at your pictures. The wideness and sheer size of the landscape is indeed overwhelming and hard to grasp. Brings back good memories.
    If your last words were meant as an invitation and pointed at me, I have to disappoint you. I'm from northern germany and even if I will be back in the southwest for the seventh time next summer, I will have my family in tow and unfortunatly not be able to spend a day on the bike out in the wild.

mtbr member
    Anyone out here in straggler land with a set of calipers mind doing me a solid?
    Can you measure the diameter of the seat stays? I guess, for posterity near the upper bridge/wart area?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Anyone out here in straggler land with a set of calipers mind doing me a solid?
    Can you measure the diameter of the seat stays? I guess, for posterity near the upper bridge/wart area?

Thanks
    Seat stays = 16.5mm just below the seat stay bridge.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    If anyone has a straggler fork kicking around hit me up. Extra bonus points if itís black.
    I need about 7 3/4Ē of steerer.

mtbr member

I have one of the original 2014 Unicorn Spunk Pink 700c Stragglers. I want to run bigger tires and fenders. I just noticed the site says 700c x 42 tires are a go front and back with fenders. My shitty memory tells me the site used to have a smaller max 700c tire size.

So I just wanted to check if that 700c x 42 max tire with fender applied to my OG 2014 Straggler or if tire clearance has changed? I don't want to buy big $$ rubber and then end up sad when I can't fit them to my bike.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I run a WTB Riddler (700x45) and thereís barely room for it. No way I could go larger.
    My memory is that I also have used them w/ fenders but not w/ great confidence. One hard shudder and something wouldnít be aligned and Iíd have some rubbing. In the end if I use fenders on the Stragger, I use a different narrower tire.
    To me- Fenders mean wet. Wide means dirt/gravel. That means mud. My Riddler set up would NOT function w/ a bit of the sticky stuff on the tires.

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    I run a WTB Riddler (700x45) and thereís barely room for it. No way I could go larger.
    My memory is that I also have used them w/ fenders but not w/ great confidence. One hard shudder and something wouldnít be aligned and Iíd have some rubbing. In the end if I use fenders on the Stragger, I use a different narrower tire.
    To me- Fenders mean wet. Wide means dirt/gravel. That means mud. My Riddler set up would NOT function w/ a bit of the sticky stuff on the tires.

-JCB
    If you can fit 45s and fenders [even if the fit was poor] that means I should be able to fit 42s and fenders like Surly says. I just wasn't sure if the OG 700c frames had the same clearance as the new frames.

I ride fenders year round. I mostly ride pavement on my Straggler, but even when do ride dirt our mud is runny not sticky so it doesn't build up.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Good points. Not all terrain means wet=mud.

Except for some minor drop out changes way back when (https://surlybikes.com/blog/straggler_dropout_update), I don't think there's been an update to the Straggler frame.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Good points. Not all terrain means wet=mud.

Except for some minor drop out changes way back when (https://surlybikes.com/blog/straggler_dropout_update), I don't think there's been an update to the Straggler frame.
    Great. Thanks for the feedback.

I'll get some wider tires on there and see what I think.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

I got my Straggler back in 2014 and it has remained unchanged over that time. I enjoy a lot about it, but at the same time a few things have left me unsatisfied. Enough so I found myself shopping around for a new frame to hang my parts on.

Chatting with a friend [MTBR member Islander] about his new Elephant NFE, remembering my fine Boulder Bicycles rando rig and checking out Crust bikes fun line up I pondered all the options. And finally decided to do a round of upgrades to the Straggler. My reasoning was it had fine bones so it was worth upgrading and I liked the general build so any parts I put on it could be pored to a new frame in a year or so if my stoke level wasn't where I thought it should be.

Planned changes:

1. Rene Herse [aka old Compass Bike aka Grand Bois] Hurricane Ridge 700c x 42mm tires. High volume and supple for a fast roll. Ultralight casing for fast roll and all black stealth look. Much bigger volume than my current 700c x 32mm Compass Cycles tires.
    2. Velo Orange 45mm metal hammered fenders. Wider than my current ~38mm silver fenders and black for stealth.
    3. Shorter and higher rise stem. Don't remember the exact specs, but puts me into a bit more upright position on the hoods and yet I can still use the drops if I want more aero and more aggro positon.
    4. Porcelain Rocket Nigel bar bag. Waterproof cargo option for front of bike.
    5. Porcelain Rocket half-framebag. I'll either steal the one I own back from my hardtail MTB or get another one made as I find them super useful. Being able to use the DT water bottle bosses for a cage and the partial framebag for cargo is rad.
    6. Porcelain Rocket Charlene 5L seatbag. I already own this just need to combine it with bags noted about for sweet light weight bikebacking setup.

Nothing too crazy for changes, but significant enough it should be a fun change. I'll try the upgrades through the end of 2020. If I love them rad. If I do not I'll order a new frame for those parts as I dig 700c wheels with wide rubber, fenders and a steel SS capable frame. Maybe I'll go custom?

We'll see. I'd be happy to keep Straggler on the OG unicorn jizz frame I have from 2014.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I enjoy a lot about it, but at the same time a few things have left me unsatisfied. Enough so I found myself shopping around for a new frame to hang my parts on.
    May I ask what has left you unsatisfied? You seem to have ridden your Straggler a lot so I am curious as to what you think after 5 years!

I'm also considering wider / plusher tyres as my next upgrade (in a year or so...). I currently run 38mm Marathons, and the 42mm Marathon Supremes sound like a good way to be more comfortable while still maintaining a decent level of puncture resistance.

Anyway, let us know how your upgrades go!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_binkalot View Post
    May I ask what has left you unsatisfied? You seem to have ridden your Straggler a lot so I am curious as to what you think after 5 years!

I'm also considering wider / plusher tyres as my next upgrade (in a year or so...). I currently run 38mm Marathons, and the 42mm Marathon Supremes sound like a good way to be more comfortable while still maintaining a decent level of puncture resistance.

Anyway, let us know how your upgrades go!
    Prior to the Straggler I had a semi-custom Boulder Bicycle low trail machine that was a work of art and that performed amazingly well and fit me like a glove. I sold it when I started to focus less on long-distance road riding and more on dirt. I ended up regretting that a lot, but didn't want to spend the $$ on a comparable replacement as my road riding vs. mountain biking was heavily skewed towards the later.

So I got the Straggler for a killer deal at my LBS. Not sure if they gave me a buddy discount or misread the price sheet or what, but I recall it being such a good deal when I called to ask I bought it on the phone.

I live in the PNWet and I set the Straggler up as an all weather road bike with full fenders, wide [at the time] 700c x 32mm tires and SS for low maintenance. It's been great and for the price has been a good value for me. But, my taste in tires has just gotten wider and as I got a bit older my preference for fit has changed. And as good as the Straggler is the Boulder was a lot nicer. So combine that all and I started to want something else after 5 years.

If I was going to ride the road a lot I'd just buy a $$$ production frame or get a custom frame. Thing is I'm going to spend most of my time on other bikes and ride my "road bike" the least of the bikes in my fleet. So dropping a lot of money doesn't make sense. As I looked at the production options that made sense I started to think I may well spend a bunch of $$ and not get too far from where I currently was with the Straggler. It's easy to think the grass is greener in the next yard over.

So I decided to address the issues I could fairly easily...wider tires and change the riding position with a shorter more upright stem. I'm stumbling towards retirement this year giving up my FT job and my GF will continue to work so I'll have a bunch of free time on my hands. I figure rather than pound myself into oblivion on the trails getting in some longer road rides will be fun and a good way to build fitness without a lot of wear and tear on the body. If my Straggler mods make me happy awesome. If not, but I do enough road/gravel riding to justify it I'll get something new and move my parts/bags across.

BTW - I've bee running Grand Bois/Compass Bicycle/Rene Herse tires with setup tubeless with sealant the whole time I have had the Straggler. These are super supple fast rolling tires with zero puncture protection in the casing. I've had one puncture that sealed as I kept riding. I'm never going back to tubes and stiff casing tires.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    Hi from the UK.
    I've really enjoyed reading this thread over the last couple of days, there are some nice builds and some inspirational photos and rides.
    I've just finished building up my new straggler.

I had one a few years ago but unfortunately had to sell it as I needed the cash.
    I've had a few bikes in the mean time but non of them have felt as good to ride as the straggler did, I've built this one up to pretty much the same spec as my last one so know it's going to be good.
    Can't wait to get out on it.

mtbr member

I got the new tires and fenders in for my Straggler. I mounted the tires this morning and figured I'd share a few photos.

Rene Herse 700c x 42mm tires on some Velocity rims. The tires measure a true 42mm width. There is tons of clearance for fenders with the bigger tires. If I had a do over I might have gone with the 44mm wide tires seeing how much clearance there is. Next time!

Now I have to build some stoke to mount the fenders. Getting a nice fender line is a PITA, but totally worth it.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Wow- first there were 3x drive trains. 3x8, 9, 10.
    Then the 2x set ups.
    Then of course, the sea of 1x.
    1x10,11, 12. Is there a 13 now?

But heck Vic- you're the first 1x0 I've seen.

Otherwise, gorgeous bike. Perfect bike.
    When the house is on fire, grab the cats/peanut butter/ammo/and that bike. It'll be great for nearly everywhere.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019

Hope

Surly Straggler-img_4468.jpg

I went for my longest ride on the Straggler yet last week. Decided to go all the way to the end of the northward train line, around 52km in all. It was great to travel from the city, through the inner suburbs, to the postwar suburbs, to the fields, and ending up amongst the fields. The train took me and the bike home afterwards, which was a nice way to finish things.

The bike rode well. I used the drops on the long, straight stretches, powering comfortably at 30km/hr. I started to think that the saddle was a little too narrow for me, so the next day I went to buy a Brooks B17. Gosh it's troublesome to set up the angle etc correctly, but after much fiddling so far so good.

Here's hoping for more long rides in the future.

mtbr member
    If I abandon how my Brooks look and just go by how it feels- youíll maybe end up with the nose higher than youíd think was right.

When I see those haggard weary world pedaling type folks theirs are usually also a bit nose high.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    If I abandon how my Brooks look and just go by how it feels- youíll maybe end up with the nose higher than youíd think was right.

When I see those haggard weary world pedaling type folks theirs are usually also a bit nose high.
    Yes, that is what I was told at the shop and how I started. Unfortunately this resulted in some unwanted unpleasantness in the soft tissues, if you know what I mean. I have returned the saddle to level for now, and will adjust as needed. Thank you.

mtbr member

Finally had the parts and the time to finish up the Straggler MK2. I did some bombing around the 'hood to make sure nothing fell off or rubbed. So far so good. Tomorrow will be the first real test of the wider tires. 32mm to 42mm. I'm excited.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    I like the chunky look. Can't wait to hear what you think about the ride! Is that a new set of fenders too?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_binkalot View Post
    I like the chunky look. Can't wait to hear what you think about the ride! Is that a new set of fenders too?
    Thanks. The fenders are new as well. Went with 52mm fenders on 42mm tires. This pretty much maxes out the Straggler frame. I had to stop on the first steep climb to adjust everything as I had a tiny bit of fender rub in the rear at max power when the frame flexed.

The higher volume tires feel really nice. I lowered the pressure once during the ride and will try even lower next time out.

The only problem I ran into was the tires are big enough that my SS gearing was too hard. So I could only get into an efficient RPM band on the descents vs. on the rolling sections with the smaller tires. I'm running at 40T x 16T so I'll get an 18T cog and try that. On the plus side I usually spin out going downhill, but I was able to pedal a whole lot longer! Of course the steep climbs were extra painful.

The small knobs on the tires do pick up a lot of gravel. I left extra room inside the fenders so it's not a problem, but it can be loud.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Weird Days you weirdos.

I hope this thread finds you and yours healthy and well. Even if you are on house arrest.

I've been trying to ride daily. Hoping for 30 days straight of pedaling.
    Now that this fun task is a damned chore, I have less spring in my step to get out the door. Bad weather and only pave/gravel (as in singletrack is still under snow) or some snow riding doesn't help my wanting to go out.

But still, 1/4 mile from home and the idea starts seeming like a good one. A few hours later and it's all just perfect in it's quiet weird way.
    Especially good on the Straggler.

Get out when you can. Feel the lungs fill and the blood flow.
    And good luck.

Surly Straggler-img_4095.jpg

Surly Straggler-img_4111.jpg

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516