surly ogre - Page 10- Mtbr.com
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
Results 1,801 to 2,000 of 2347

Thread: surly ogre

mtbr member
    I've got a 130 miles so far on the Ogre...it has been fantastic. I have done pavement, gravel, singtrack, and it outperforms on all terrains. The Ogre makes me feel big! I think the best upgrade I made were the Tubeless Maxxis Ikon 2.35. It's a fast XC Race style tire, but with loads of Volume. Could air down to 25/20 but I haven't needed too. Although, I feel the same way about my CrossCheck as the previous poster...I am having trouble parting ways with it.
    Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    nothing wrong with having more than one bike,or having more than one wheelset,or having way too much bike stuff around....thats what i keep telling myself anyway...

yup,just ticked over another 1000 miles on the ogre,i really have no idea how many miles it has been ridden at this point,over 5000 miles for sure...think the ogre is going to get an upgrade on the rear hub,getting the krampus wheels rebuilt onto some hope pro4's,and i have an expanded range 10 speed setup sitting around so i may go to a 1x10...even when hauling i never use the granny ring or even when i unadvisedly take my 40lb touring rig out for a day of hillclimbing....so may as well ditch the front derailleur...

mtbr member
    Pro 4 hubs 2nd best upgrade I made to the Ogre. The price is fair, the sound is awesome, and they look great. I don't have to buy those cute little bells to move traffic out of the way on these busy green ways.
    Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! I had another question come up. I've been looking at tire options for an Ogre, and per the recommendations I've seen here have been giving the Schwalbe Big Apples, Marathon Mondials, and Marathon Cross a good look. Thing is, none of them are listed on Schwalbe's website to fit 29er wheels, unless 700c tires fit 29er wheels the same.

Marathon Mondial HS 428 | Schwalbe North America

An employee at my LBS said there is a small difference in size between the rims of 29ers and 700c. Will a tire rated for 700c still fit a 29er wheel? I'm looking at buying a stock Ogre (which comes with Alex Adventurer rims and WTB Nano Comp, 29 x 2.1" tires) and reconfiguring as needed. Do you guys know if a Big Apple etc will fit those rims? Thanks!

Did I catch a niner+?
    Schwalbe uses the measurement of "28"
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by zeroRider View Post
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! I had another question come up. I've been looking at tire options for an Ogre, and per the recommendations I've seen here have been giving the Schwalbe Big Apples, Marathon Mondials, and Marathon Cross a good look. Thing is, none of them are listed on Schwalbe's website to fit 29er wheels, unless 700c tires fit 29er wheels the same.

Marathon Mondial HS 428 | Schwalbe North America

An employee at my LBS said there is a small difference in size between the rims of 29ers and 700c. Will a tire rated for 700c still fit a 29er wheel? I'm looking at buying a stock Ogre (which comes with Alex Adventurer rims and WTB Nano Comp, 29 x 2.1" tires) and reconfiguring as needed. Do you guys know if a Big Apple etc will fit those rims? Thanks!
    big apples will fit the alex rims just fine,good tire on the road,plush and super quiet

likes beer
    Schwalbe Big Bens on mine. Love em.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by manida View Post
    Schwalbe Big Bens on mine. Love em.
    Sweet ride, manida! Love the color difference on your Big Bens, going away from the usual plain black.

Am thinking of doing something similar with the crèmes for even more contrast. The size is 28x2.00 then? Also, how's it roll on the dirt? Big Bens look better off road than Big Apples, but the Marathon Plus or Mondial look even better. Guess it always comes down to compromise of what you're looking for: in this case it sounds like speed vs terrain, and comfort somewhere in there too?

mtbr member
    Weather is nice! Time to get out -
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    2013 Cannondale Trail SL1 29er Jumbo
    2015 Surly Ogre XXL
    2014 Surly disc Trucker 62cm
    For sale? all of them

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Very nice setup, pfund28.

Whelp, finally made a decision and a XXL Ogre should be on its way, scheduled to arrive this Thursday. Getting pretty excited!

What are your guys thoughts on racks? The Surly Nice Racks seem popular, but from shopping I've done they're at least $100 more expensive than others like it made by Topeak or Ibera. What sets them apart, or are they really worth the added cost? Since I'm looking at doing just commuting for now, I think I'll be getting a cheaper rack, but maybe even take it into my local REI and see how different racks and pannier setups work on it.

mtbr member
    What are your guys thoughts on racks? The Surly Nice Racks seem popular, but from shopping I've done they're at least $100 more expensive than others like it made by Topeak or Ibera. What sets them apart, or are they really worth the added cost? Since I'm looking at doing just commuting for now, I think I'll be getting a cheaper rack, but maybe even take it into my local REI and see how different racks and pannier setups work on it.
    Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I thing the qualities of the Surly racks that people like are:

Carries a lot of weight.
    Very sturdy.
    Well-suited for multiple ways to attach gear.
    Steel, so it can be re-welded on the road if necessary.

The steel thing gets talked up a lot, and seems pretty important to people taking off for months on end in remote locations.

I use a Topeak rack on my Troll that I moved over from my Long Haul Trucker, and I like it. My trips are short, generally, and I don't worry about being in a situation where I might need to have my rack re-welded to get back on the road. The biggest use of the rack is on my daily commute with a Topeak bag that slides easily in to the rack. When I'm on a trip, I usually leave the bag behind. It's heavy and not waterproof and while it's great for commuting, I don't trust it to hold up to the abuse of touring. I have two Topeak racks on different bikes, and my preference is for the one with the 2nd, lower rail. That makes it easier to use the sides of the racks for panniers and still use the Topeak bag or basket on the top. I don't do that often, but it's nice to have the option.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    the surly racks are great if you carry heavy loads frequently.they are nice and stiff so the bike doesnt sway back and forth because the rack stays are too flimsy...of course they weigh like 47 lbs each so theres that...i had a cheap bontrager rack that was ok for most day to day stuff but im happy to tote 2 nice racks around since they are utterly bombproof...

mtbr member
    I can recommend the Tubus Cargo Evo rack. Such an easy fit on my XXL Ogre.

mtbr member
    I ride with the Racktime Toppit rack on the front and the Racktime Addit rack on the rear. Both racks works great with my Planted Bike 29ER X 65mm fenders. The rear Surly nice rack doesn't have the lower rail for panniers, the Racktime Addit rack does.
    Curt

20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker
    2016 Surly Ogre (Blacktacular)

mtbr member
    I didn't know my Ibera rack was only for show!! lol it seems sturdy and well made, the bag clips on and off and is solid. Time will tell
    2015 Surly Ogre XXL
    For sale? all of them

Did I catch a niner+?
    I've owned a lot of the racks mentioned and what I will say is this. I do not like the Ibera I got it for a really good deal and got ride of it as soon as I could. I even had the trunk bag for it which I think was plagued with poor zippers, the one shining light on that rack was the lower mount bars to get your pannier down and back and bikeman usa was pretty good with support if you needed it.

I own also a PDW Payload(steel) rack which is a more classic rack but rather heavy with a wood panel top and steel construction. This is a nice rack if you want to strap things to the top of it frequently, it could hold a 24 pack no problem If anyone is interested in this rack PM I want to let go of it.

I now have installed a Tubus Logo 29 that I got at a bike swap for very little money and it was hardly used (I think the guy worked for Surly), this is far and away the best rack I have ever used and I will continue to use it until one of us dies and it will probably be me first(32).

I should add I have a racktime topit up front of my Ogre that is probably going to come off, I thought I would strap more to it but nothing has been but I will hang on to it for touring.

Lastly, a friend of mine has the surly nice racks on his cross check and I think these are just too much rack, especially when compared to a tubus. For what a surly rack does cost you could get tubus racks and half the weight and same payload. I am also told they are a pain in the ass to install the first time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    surly ogre-2016-04-02-13.08.52.jpgsurly ogre-2016-04-02-13.09.07.jpg
    Yesterday my Ogre picked up a frame at my bikeshop for it's little brother.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Hey guys, this is an awesome thread for an awesome bike! I bought a new XL Ogre late last fall. Have it pretty much set up for me now as an all around touring/commuter bike. I would like to get the bars moved up a little higher and also moved closer to me. Would you suggest an adjustable stem OR a headset extender with a shorter stem?

Thanks,
    Deck99

mtbr member
    AARRRRGGG - where in this thread are the V brake bolts everyone is using to cover the holes front and rear?
    2015 Surly Ogre XXL
    For sale? all of them

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pfund28 View Post
    AARRRRGGG - where in this thread are the V brake bolts everyone is using to cover the holes front and rear?

Someone please....my LBS ordered some gold bolts to match my theme, but we're the wrong thread
    Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

likes beer
    origin 8 makes some great ones.....boss plugs. Pretty sure this is them. I have them on all 3 of my surlys.

Amazon.com : BRAKE PART BOSS PLUG OR8 M103-M10x1.0 BK : Bike Brake Mounts And Adapters : Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Thanks manida - couldn't think of the name... long day, I'm getting older, I have 7 kids...
    2015 Surly Ogre XXL
    For sale? all of them

mtbr member
    Can anyone who's tried/compared a medium Ogre with a medium Troll comment on whether the bars "fit higher" on the Ogre? The Troll felt very long and low to me. In looking at the geometry they look the same fit-wise but I've not tried out an Ogre. Thanks for any input.

Ryan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rcnute View Post
    Can anyone who's tried/compared a medium Ogre with a medium Troll comment on whether the bars "fit higher" on the Ogre? The Troll felt very long and low to me. In looking at the geometry they look the same fit-wise but I've not tried out an Ogre. Thanks for any input.

Ryan
    Bars are likely to be higher on the Ogre due to 32.6 mm more stack height. It's possible to set them up so the Troll has higher bars than the Ogre but if you set up each with identical stems and handlebars, the Ogre's bar will be about 32.6 mm higher than the Troll's. That's a primary reason I bought a Karate Monkey (basically a stripped-down, lighter tubed Ogre) over a Troll.

If you look at Surly's (or any other bike company's) geometry charts, Stack is an absolute figure indicating how high the top of the head tube is compared to the bottom bracket and reach is an absolute measure indicating how far the top of the top-tube is from the bottom bracket. So, two bikes with the same stack and reach will be similar in fit and once you know the stack & height range that is comfortable for you, fitting bikes becomes much easier. It's not a perfect system because seat angle (and maybe other factors) can influence the fit as well, but stack and reach will get you in the ballpark.

mtbr member
    I test rode a medium Ogre before purchasing my medium Troll. The reach is so close to the same (5 mm shorter on the Ogre) that I felt confident that I could get an idea of how the Troll would feel. So far that's worked out fine. To my mind, the 5 mm of reach is not worth worrying about as that can vary by handlebar and stem choice. If the Troll felt too long, you might ask yourself how much shorter you would like it to be. I doubt the 5 mm difference on the Ogre will be noticeable.

When you say the Troll felt low, were you riding a Troll with the handle bars all the way up on an uncut steerer tube? If not, that may not be a fair test. Either way the Ogre will give you potentially higher handlebars. I don't agree about stack being the important measurement, but I do agree about the Ogre allowing you to fit your handlebars higher. But I can't compare those based on experience because I don't believe the Ogre I road had the bars up as high as possible, and I know my Troll does not.

mtbr member
    Got a Brooks Flyer in honey inbound, a pair of leather lock on grips from Turkey and thanks to manida for the info on the front rack.... now if it would quit snowing
    2015 Surly Ogre XXL
    For sale? all of them

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Got a Brooks Flyer in honey inbound, a pair of leather lock on grips from Turkey and thanks to manida for the info on the front rack.... now if it would quit snowing
    More info on the store in Turkey would be interesting.
    Are we talking Turkey bordering the Middle East?

mtbr member
    Yes. Found this guy on eBay - thought I'd give it a try

tomru.tayla is his eBay name
    2015 Surly Ogre XXL
    For sale? all of them

mtbr member
    I am so freakin happy with my Ogre Build. I am slaying the Single Tracks...slaying on my own terms, lol.
    Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    gnar is a finite resource after all,cant always shred it,sometime a light massage is better!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    Bars are likely to be higher on the Ogre due to 32.6 mm more stack height. It's possible to set them up so the Troll has higher bars than the Ogre but if you set up each with identical stems and handlebars, the Ogre's bar will be about 32.6 mm higher than the Troll's. That's a primary reason I bought a Karate Monkey (basically a stripped-down, lighter tubed Ogre) over a Troll.

If you look at Surly's (or any other bike company's) geometry charts, Stack is an absolute figure indicating how high the top of the head tube is compared to the bottom bracket and reach is an absolute measure indicating how far the top of the top-tube is from the bottom bracket. So, two bikes with the same stack and reach will be similar in fit and once you know the stack & height range that is comfortable for you, fitting bikes becomes much easier. It's not a perfect system because seat angle (and maybe other factors) can influence the fit as well, but stack and reach will get you in the ballpark.
    Thanks a lot. This is really helpful.

Ryan

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    origin 8 makes some great ones.....boss plugs. Pretty sure this is them. I have them on all 3 of my surlys.

Amazon.com : BRAKE PART BOSS PLUG OR8 M103-M10x1.0 BK : Bike Brake Mounts And Adapters : Sports & Outdoors
    Ugh, I couldn't IMAGINE adding something that heavy to my Ogre. What about the speed!?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Afun View Post
    Pro 4 hubs 2nd best upgrade I made to the Ogre. The price is fair, the sound is awesome, and they look great. I don't have to buy those cute little bells to move traffic out of the way on these busy green ways.
    Good plan here, I like it. And certainly more PC than a taser!

mtbr member
    I am using my Ogre just the way it is a Rigid all around 29er. Manuals, bunny hops, single track, pavement, gravel trails. I have not needed suspension with these awesome Maxxis Ikon 2.35 inch. They have lots of volume and could air down being tubeless. Just awesome!
    Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    My XXL Ogre came in, and man is it fun! I had my bike shop order me just the basic kit so I could get up and running shortly out of the box. Here's the first picture I took with just the demo-pedals they had lying around for me to test it out (in fact, I need to go return those tomorrow!).

surly ogre-ogre1comp.jpg

Had a blast, even with the shoddy plastic pedals, riding it around local paved and dirt roads, seamlessly transitioning from one to the other, powering around banked turns and jumping off curbs. Feels like a giant BMX for grownups. I broke it in the following weekend with a 51-mile road ride with my club, where I quickly learned just how heavy it is! That said, I am rather happy with it's relative speed, and was happy I wasn't dragging down my buddy riding his carbon racing machine too much (neither of us are in *amazing* cycling shape), and was able to keep up for about 20 miles. I did get dropped on the ride's major climb, which I completely ran out of gas on. Was hurting good by the top of it.

But, I did buy this for specifically for commuting, so I ordered some Schwalbe Big Bens shortly thereafter. I was a little concerned about the color, and thought that the 2.0s wouldn't be wide enough for a true "balloon ride," but am happy to be disappointed on both fronts. I just got them on tonight and took it for a quick little spin around the neighborhood.

surly ogre-ogre2.jpg

Downsides (few) :
    Speaking of, I didn't have much trouble getting the back wheel off the frame, but getting it back on was nearly beyond me. Any tricks for this? Feel like I nearly broke the derailleur in so doing. Also, probably just my personally large frame, but my back feels sore much quicker riding this guy than my road bike. Any thoughts on that? I can't lower the seat more, or else I don't get full pedal-stroke. Not sure what the length these came with stock, but it would probably be worth looking into longer cranks for this as well (riding 175 or 180 mm on my road).

All round though, this is going to be a super fun bike! Toying with taking my Brooks saddle off my road bike and throwing it on here. Will likely happen eventually, but my

mtbr member
    Man that is one huge Ogre, almost looks like your wheels are 26ers. I've been thinking about getting the brown Big Bens for my black Ogre, since I have a brown brooks saddle and bar tape soon. Wish they made the Big Bens wider than 2.00. Congrats on your new Ogre.
    Curt

20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    My XXL Ogre came in, and man is it fun! I had my bike shop order me just the basic kit so I could get up and running shortly out of the box. Here's the first picture I took with just the demo-pedals they had lying around for me to test it out (in fact, I need to go return those tomorrow!).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ogre1comp.jpg 
Views:	771 
Size:	277.4 KB 
ID:	1062336

Had a blast, even with the shoddy plastic pedals, riding it around local paved and dirt roads, seamlessly transitioning from one to the other, powering around banked turns and jumping off curbs. Feels like a giant BMX for grownups. I broke it in the following weekend with a 51-mile road ride with my club, where I quickly learned just how heavy it is! That said, I am rather happy with it's relative speed, and was happy I wasn't dragging down my buddy riding his carbon racing machine too much (neither of us are in *amazing* cycling shape), and was able to keep up for about 20 miles. I did get dropped on the ride's major climb, which I completely ran out of gas on. Was hurting good by the top of it.

But, I did buy this for specifically for commuting, so I ordered some Schwalbe Big Bens shortly thereafter. I was a little concerned about the color, and thought that the 2.0s wouldn't be wide enough for a true "balloon ride," but am happy to be disappointed on both fronts. I just got them on tonight and took it for a quick little spin around the neighborhood.

Name:	Ogre2.JPG 
Views:	779 
Size:	252.8 KB 
ID:	1062337

Downsides (few) :
    Speaking of, I didn't have much trouble getting the back wheel off the frame, but getting it back on was nearly beyond me. Any tricks for this? Feel like I nearly broke the derailleur in so doing. Also, probably just my personally large frame, but my back feels sore much quicker riding this guy than my road bike. Any thoughts on that? I can't lower the seat more, or else I don't get full pedal-stroke. Not sure what the length these came with stock, but it would probably be worth looking into longer cranks for this as well (riding 175 or 180 mm on my road).

All round though, this is going to be a super fun bike! Toying with taking my Brooks saddle off my road bike and throwing it on here. Will likely happen eventually, but my
    yeah,its a bit tricky getting the rear wheel in,but you get used to it eventually,a work stand helps...
    you may want to try rotating the bar ends downward a bit...

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    This post Re: rear wheel removal tips.......has self-destructed!
    Last edited by highplainsrider; 04-12-2016 at 09:45 AM.

Bedwards Of The West
    Added a frame bag... considering a 'gas tank' bag to go with. Yay or nay? Also have some cream tires (Big Bens...hope they match) and cream bar tape on the way... moving on from the camo look and embracing the stately countenance of the Cambium saddle

surly ogre-screen-shot-2016-04-06-8.34.28-am.jpg
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Yay to the Gas Tank. I added a frame bag, gas tank, and 2 mountain feedbags to my ECR. Those are part of the bike now. Super handy and adds to the visual impact. "That hobo was moving!"

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    lol,you could drop a couple pounds off the ecr just by washing it!

but yes to the gas tank and feed bags,both are very useful and the relevate stuff has been well made and long lasting...

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Had my ogre for almost a year now. First time building up a frame. Daily commuter and grocery runs to trail riding and bikepacking, loving the versatility!

Went for 3x9 XT drivetrain, velocity blunt 35 rims (for mounting 45c to 3" tires) with a son28 up front and white industries Ti rear hub. Selle anatomica saddle, King headset, Thomson seat post and stem make for nice looks and function well too. Pictured in commuter mode, but Maxxis Chronicle front/Ardent rear trail tires really make it look MEAN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nice Ogre squeaky!!

Anyone have/run a clip style fender? I'd love a pair that are removable plastic..
    SKS style or??

Opinions?
    2015 Surly Ogre XXL
    For sale? all of them

mtbr member
    Me, Ogre, Singletrack! Today was a great day. I surprise myself what I could do with this bike.

Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Nice Ogre squeaky!!

Anyone have/run a clip style fender? I'd love a pair that are removable plastic..
    SKS style or??

Opinions?
    Been wondering about this myself. I live in the desert, and don't have a consistent need for fenders. Maybe two weeks total a year, dispersed throughout, and a cheap pair of plastic clip-ons might be just the trick. Plus, with the additional hassle of changing a tube/tire with the rear fender installed would be mitigated greatly. However, the clip-ons I've seen generally mount to the seat post, which leaves your rack and luggage exposed, if that's a concern.

Surly XXL
    66cm Cannondale R400
    24" Ventanna El Rey

Tires
    Quote Originally Posted by rcnute View Post
    Thanks a lot. This is really helpful.

Ryan
    I agree with corwin1968, from my own observations - I didn't measure scientifically or compare specs. It's just that I had to have more spacers ABOVE my stem to get a similar feel to my troll. 32.6mm seems about right, I was going to guess 50mm, or 2 inches more steerer-tube height. Possibly the larger tires might have added to the effect of a taller front-end, but I'm no scientist.

Here's a comparison of my Troll v Ogre, both have uncut steerer tubes. I'm not sure if this pic is much help, but if you squint, you might be able to see the difference in heights of spacer stack, as well as handlebar heights:

Quote Originally Posted by MTB29erCurt View Post
    I ride with the Racktime Toppit rack on the front and the Racktime Addit rack on the rear. Both racks works great with my Planted Bike 29ER X 65mm fenders. The rear Surly nice rack doesn't have the lower rail for panniers, the Racktime Addit rack does.

I'm also a fan of the Racktime racks. Aren't they owned by Tubus? Aluminum, but sturdy and the way things can clip-in and latch to the rack without straps is better than Topeak, or any other similar contraptions that I've seen. I got some extra clip-in bases to add to my own bags, and it saved me money and worked wonderfully. You can see how the lower pannier rails are utilized on the Ogre in the picture above. I have two rear Racktimes and one front that incorporated a great way to mount my headlight. It's nice not to worry about cables blocking the beam:

Soma, Surly, Salsa, Schwalbe, SRAM, Sun-Ringlé

likes beer
    ^^what headlight is that?

Tires

Cream Spinach

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Added a frame bag... considering a 'gas tank' bag to go with. Yay or nay? Also have some cream tires (Big Bens...hope they match) and cream bar tape on the way... moving on from the camo look and embracing the stately countenance of the Cambium saddle

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 8.34.28 AM.jpg 
Views:	699 
Size:	297.5 KB 
ID:	1062443
    That looks really good with that frame bag. I think cream and green would be very cool, too bad your framebag isn't canvas colored to match. Your frame is larger than my 18-inch/medium, so it's a much better price per area of storage space. The bag for my slanted top-tube frame seems like it would be too small to be of much use. I say nay on the gas-tank bag.

You might have issues with the straps not playing well together, I did with Revelate tank-bag and frame-bag combo on my Troll. Just a bit of overlapping of the straps, enough to crinkle the strap and not let it lie flat. I found it annoying to open, and a bit floppy. I have a handlebar bag which i prefer if I'm running headphone wires from a device in the bag, which I rarely if ever do, but I have done it. It's just too small so I've stopped using it and it's just sitting here now, collecting dust. I like the way bikes look with just the frame bag. Adding the gas-tank bag makes the bike look way too serious about bike-packing - just a frame bag is more casual.

I know racks detract from "bikepacking" bags, which a frame-bag is, but I like using both, together. Bare racks keep your profile narrow, the rear rack cages-in the rear fender to protect it from getting squashed upon, and you can lean the rack against a tree or table for parking. Not many frames can accommodate racks, disc brakes, and fenders all together, while still being MTB-ish, which is why I love these bikes. I think the Fargo might do all these things a little differently (better?).

^^what headlight is that?
    It's just a flashlight, a Chinese GatlingGun copy of the "GatLight" that runs on one 18650 Li-Ion, but it has the best FAST strobe for daylight conspicuity, as well as different brightnesses that throw well. I forget what it's called right now, but I've posted the model# here before. I'll try to find it. If you scroll down this thread: https://forums.mtbr.com/commuting/co...l#post10979500

A couple more views, it's all completely under the top of the rack. I put a bag/basket on top with no interference:

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    What rack is that, Gritter?

mtbr member
    I got a couple recommendations from some good Ogre owners - ended up with these - SKS Hightrek, should be easy enough to remove - I'll leave the rear on under the rack..
    Been wondering about this myself. I live in the desert, and don't have a consistent need for fenders. Maybe two weeks total a year, dispersed throughout, and a cheap pair of plastic clip-ons might be just the trick. Plus, with the additional hassle of changing a tube/tire with the rear fender installed would be mitigated greatly. However, the clip-ons I've seen generally mount to the seat post, which leaves your rack and luggage exposed, if that's a concern.

Surly XXL
    66cm Cannondale R400
    24" Ventanna El Rey
    2015 Surly Ogre XXL
    For sale? all of them

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jan_nikolajsen View Post
    I think JensonUSA has it for the same price with free shipping. Only bad thing, it doesn't come with a bolt long enough for the fork crown on the Ogre. Well built rack though.
    Racktime Topit Universal Front Mount Rack in Tree Fort Bikes Front Mount Racks
    Curt

20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Morning
    Pondering which bike for off road and its a toss up between Ogre and ECR. Question is do I really need 29x3 or will 29x2.5 do? Riding will be mostly single track, farm roads and forest paths with pavement thrown in. No extreme weather to speak of where live, just a bit muddy.
    Did see somewhere someone running Panaracer fat b nimble on an ogre but can't find it now. Anyone running these larger tyres with success on an Ogre? - EDIT - found it. Just needed to read a bit further down the Surly page ! Also looking for tyre recommendations on a 29er for all purpose riding a la Knard or Holy Roller? The build i have in my head for both frames would be around 35 rims, possibly WTB i35 or blunts if that makes a difference with tyre choice and clearance?
    Cheers
    Chris
    Last edited by EssexBoyUK; 04-13-2016 at 02:11 AM.

Tires
    Quote Originally Posted by jan_nikolajsen View Post
    I guess I deserve that for being too wordy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gritter View Post

I'm also a fan of the Racktime racks. Aren't they owned by Tubus? Aluminum, but sturdy and the way things can clip-in and latch to the rack without straps is better than Topeak, or any other similar contraptions that I've seen. I got some extra clip-in bases to add to my own bags, and it saved me money and worked wonderfully. You can see how the lower pannier rails are utilized on the Ogre in the picture above. I have two rear Racktimes and one front that incorporated a great way to mount my headlight. It's nice not to worry about cables [or tire] blocking the beam:
    MTB29erCurt is correct, it's a RackTime.

Quote Originally Posted by MTB29erCurt View Post
    I think JensonUSA has it for the same price with free shipping. Only bad thing, it doesn't come with a bolt long enough for the fork crown on the Ogre. Well built rack though.
    Racktime Topit Universal Front Mount Rack in Tree Fort Bikes Front Mount Racks
    I bought two of these "Snapit Adapters", they (oh) snap into either the front rack or the rear rack, and it's very secure without bungies. I bolted one "snapit adapter" to a waterproof bag and it's awesome. They sell locks for them to lock into the snap. I'm guessing it's at least designed in Germany (Tubus).

Now, after all of that, it's time for full disclosure. I was only meaning to tout the merits of my Ractkime Racks. The REAR has been used on the Ogre and Troll and it's been wonderful. I have never mounted the front racktime to the Ogre for a few reasons:

It would sit way too high. It's pictured previously on a non-suspension-corrected fork, so the fork's crown isn't so far away from the top of the tire. The center of gravity of your load would be much higher on the Ogre, with it's extra long fork. It would look goofy too.

The grey bike pictured also has much narrower fork blades. The semi-fatty Ogre fork blades sit too wide, so I'd have to BEND the Racktime front rack's "legs" wider to fit over the Ogre's semi-fatty fork. I didn't want to stress my rack, especially since it's aluminium, so I avoided ever mounting it to the Ogre since I already didn't like how it would sit too high.

Sorry for talkign so much about a front rack that I cannot recommend for the Ogre in good faith. I didn't mean for it to go this way. The rear rack is fine, it's good, it's great, but a big NO on the FRONT rack for the OGRE (or other tall forks).

I sold my Ogre yesterday, stripping it down to its frame/fork now, so I've lost my right to post in this thread. It was nice knowin' ya'll.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by EssexBoyUK View Post
    Morning
    Pondering which bike for off road and its a toss up between Ogre and ECR. Question is do I really need 29x3 or will 29x2.5 do? Riding will be mostly single track, farm roads and forest paths with pavement thrown in. No extreme weather to speak of where live, just a bit muddy.
    Did see somewhere someone running Panaracer fat b nimble on an ogre but can't find it now. Anyone running these larger tyres with success on an Ogre? - EDIT - found it. Just needed to read a bit further down the Surly page ! Also looking for tyre recommendations on a 29er for all purpose riding a la Knard or Holy Roller? The build i have in my head for both frames would be around 35 rims, possibly WTB i35 or blunts if that makes a difference with tyre choice and clearance?
    Cheers
    Chris
    I've been riding an ECR with Rabbit Hole rims and Maxxis Chronicle tires for 2 years and wouldn't change a thing. Most of my rides are on dirt but pavement happens too. Even on longer pavement stretches I still don't find myself wanting a narrower tire.

Not sure what the Ogre would offer over the ECR especially if you want to run 35mm rims (I'd go wider--maybe WTB Scraper) and 3.0 Tires. Slacker front end on the ECR, not brake mounts in the way.

Knards are good all around tire but I strongly prefer the Chronicle. My riding conditions are dry, hard, rocky, sandy, desert.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by EssexBoyUK View Post
    Morning
    Cheers
    Chris

are you going to be carrying a bunch of stuff? if not i would say karate monkey or krampus over the ogre or ecr...if your going to bikepack get the ecr since its more singletrack friendly than the ogre in my opinion.(formed by owning an ogre and having ridden an ecr)

surly ogre-dsc03640.jpgsurly ogre-dsc03641.jpgsurly ogre-dsc03642.jpg

heres the pics you were looking for blunt35 rims,maxxis chronicle up front and the panaracer fatBnimble out back,2x10 drivetrain,one set of monkey nuts spaced about 5mm from the front of the dropout.
    i tow my trailer with it,often have 2 sets of panniers on this bike,never had any rubbing issues...

so,from my perspective owning an ogre,karate monkey,krampus,ice cream truck,and now a straggler...and had a moonlander...if you're just needing a general purpose bike that does everything pretty well the ogre is hard to beat...note i said "pretty well" rather than excellent...dont get me wrong,the ogre is an awesome bike,couldnt live without mine since it gets all my groceries and stuff home,and hauls laundry,and goes camping,and its super comfy to ride....ripping up singletrack? not so much...

really it sounds like you need an ECR,for extended multi surface rides in the 5+ hour range it would be tough to beat,a frame bag and some bottle cages and you have more than enough storage for rambling epic rides,also a comfortable bike but way more ripping than an ogre,climbs like its stuck to the ground,corners like its on rails...the big tires roll fine on pavement,the rabbit hole rims are bombproof...

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Thanks for the replies Matterhorn and Hamsterspam. Yesthat was the Ogre I was looking at earlier. Very nice.

I was leaning towards the ECR anyway and think you've pretty much made my mind up for me. This will be my first and probably only off road bike and think ECR is slightly more versatile with the 29+ option. Days in the saddle will be long and planning a few long distance on/off road bikepacking rides thrown in.
    Originally I had serious Pugsley lust but was really put off by the whole offset thing and very limited options for rims, bb and front hub spacing. Prefer the idea of more standard sized parts and love to run stuff like dynamo hub and square tapers. Looks like its ECR all the way!

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I think you'll love it for long mixed surface rides. I do some short singletrack night rides during the week but on weekends I love the longer rides. Stretched it out to as much as 130 miles of dirt and always feel comfortable on the ECR.

She's a mule but she's got long legs! Good luck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    ...one set of monkey nuts spaced about 5mm from the front of the dropout...
    I'm confused. Why aren't your monkey nuts snug against the front of the dropout? Isn't that what they are for?
    Out to ride

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    they're just there to mark the position in the drops for me although they seem to help keep the wheel in place when hauling heavy loads with the trailer..i have seen people put two sets of monkey nuts in to space a big tire like this,but that seemed too far back and the shifting sucked

mtbr member
    Orange Crush! Love the Flyer - and it's NOT snowing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails surly ogre-dscn3339.jpg  

surly ogre-dscn3338.jpg  

surly ogre-dscn3340.jpg  

2015 Surly Ogre XXL
    For sale? all of them

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    It's normal to have to give your wheel a good yank to get it out of the horizontal dropouts, right?

mtbr member
    Yes. And it's worse if you have gears.

Quote Originally Posted by squeakymcgillicuddy View Post
    It's normal to have to give your wheel a good yank to get it out of the horizontal dropouts, right?

http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

mtbr member
    With my 2.35 inch Ikons which are volumous on the granny gear running around 30 Psi...I do get a little rub when I bounce.
    Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Some people like a little rub when they bounce.

Is the weather perfect everywhere? Just flowers, birds, sunshine, etc.. around here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i could live without the winds...

mtbr member
    The weather is perfect in East Tennessee!
    Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    yeah,but i bet the green chili is terrible out there!

likes beer
    someone say green chile!!?? (chile, not chili)

I live in Albq.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    mesilla valley rules! lol

mtbr member
    Nice quick 9 mile hilly ride...
    FINALLY nice weather - Cannondale is still sleeping- go Ogre!

We are riding more and more - gearing up for an 80 mile trek up the old railroad grade. I know that doesn't seem like a lot to many of you, but last year at this time I was in a wheelchair from a prescription medication reaction... now about 60lbs lighter and working on getting stronger - many setbacks - but that's my goal this summer.
    2015 Surly Ogre XXL
    For sale? all of them

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    awesome! the ogre is the perfect bike for you then,it will take you wherever you need to go on your journey...everyone gets there the same way,one pedal stroke at a time...

Tires

Just saw your questions

Quote Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
    Thanks for the pics. I just downloaded them for offline days in case I need some inspiration.
    Theres something about yours and StevefromtheSwitch's black one which for me standout and make me want to emulate certain elements you've chosen eg. uncut steerer.

Is that a Tubus Cosmo on the back of your bike?
    No. It's a RackTime rear rack with dual top bars, so your saddlebags (I mean, panniers) can hang lower and your top platform is unobstructed for strap-ons.

Hey Gritter,
    what do you think of my idea to grab some chrome springs from the spare parts division of brooks and swap out the black ones on the Flyer?
    BROOKS ENGLAND LTD. | SPAREPARTS | SPRINGS__+ETC_

I'm not one to spend more money on an already expensive saddle for cosmetic alterations. The saddle already has chrome (silver colored) rivets on top and at its nose, doesn't it? I think mine does. That makes it match silver components without spending more money, but you're not me.

If I was spending your money, then yes. That would look tits.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I'm not one to spend more money on an already expensive saddle for cosmetic alterations. The saddle already has chrome (silver colored) rivets on top and at its nose, doesn't it? I think mine does. That makes it match silver components without spending more money, but you're not me.

If I was spending your money, then yes. That would look tits.
    Wow, how far back did you find my post? Never mind its a rhetorical question.
    Wish I'd been spending your money but you took to long to reply to jog my memory to ask.

Tires
    That looks good! How did you see my response so fast?? Is there a notification service? I don't have that function in my form settings,.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    That looks good! How did you see my response so fast?? Is there a notification service? I don't have that function in my form settings,.
    Yeah I get an email when someone posts. I just happened to be checking my mail.
    Its taken me a while for this response as I'd scrolled back to page 30 something looking for my post you responded to but my eyes went square so I gave up. LOL.

More changes include some genuine Jones bars (alloy) instead of my Titec J bar and some cork ergon grips whose part number escapes me. GC1's?

I built up my Extrawheel trailer with dynohub like I planned and I've done a few tours.
    Longest one a month. Hoping to get away soon for another one.

What have you been up to?

With the saddle springs order from SJS Cycles in the UK, I also grabbed a polished alloy cover for the centre lock of my trailers dynohub.
    Its something most wouldn't notice but now that my basic build is finished, I'm still motivated to slowly chip away at the fine details.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Is there a notification service? I don't have that function in my form settings,.
    I just had a look and yeah it there in "Settings"
    "My Account"
    "General Settings"
    "Messaging & Notification"
    "Default Thread Subscription Mode:"
    "Instantly using email" (in the drop down box)

I think sets it up

Tires
    Yeah I get an email when someone posts. I just happened to be checking my mail.
    Its taken me a while for this response as I'd scrolled back to page 30 something looking for my post you responded to but my eyes went square so I gave up. LOL.

More changes include some genuine Jones bars (alloy) instead of my Titec J bar and some cork ergon grips whose part number escapes me. GC1's?

I built up my Extrawheel trailer with dynohub like I planned and I've done a few tours.
    Longest one a month. Hoping to get away soon for another one.

What have you been up to?

With the saddle springs order from SJS Cycles in the UK, I also grabbed a polished alloy cover for the centre lock of my trailers dynohub.

Its something most wouldn't notice but now that my basic build is finished, I'm still motivated to slowly chip away at the fine details.
    I was googling for images of a Civia non-turn/chain-tug thing, and this page came up and that's when I saw your posts. Here's the link to that page, so your eyes don't get crossed: http://forums.mtbr.com/surly/surly-ogre-737340-32.html

That hub looks gorgeous! You did a good thing by adding that cover.
    I sold my Ogre frameset

I just didn't bond with it the way I did with the Troll. I replaced the Ogre with a Salsa Fargo frameset I'll be building up here soon.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I was googling for images of a Civia non-turn/chain-tug thing, and this page came up and that's when I saw your posts. Here's the link to that page, so your eyes don't get crossed: http://forums.mtbr.com/surly/surly-ogre-737340-32.html

That hub looks gorgeous! You did a good thing by adding that cover.
    I sold my Ogre frameset

I just didn't bond with it the way I did with the Troll. I replaced the Ogre with a Salsa Fargo frameset I'll be building up here soon.
    LOL - Cheers, I musta been close to that page.........

Yeah without the cover on the hub the bearings looked like there was potential for dirt ingress causing premature wear.

The Fargo looks a great bike and was right up there on my list of possibles when I decided on the Ogre. I was simply unsure about drop handlebars and never having had a "roadie" was perhaps a little one eyed about them at the time.

A tip by way of a quote from another forum in a post about Fargos:

Quote Originally Posted by Fargo-Owner
    After much indecision about ordering, I heard om the grapevine that Salsa have discontinued the alternator plate kit to convert the Fargo to a 12mm through axle. I had to make a snap decision to get them while stock remained - a decision made a little easier by the slightly improved performance of the $AUD on the foreign exchange market recently

When I started checking the online stores stock was very rare but eventually I found a set at a better than usual price (much to my surprise) in stock at Charlie the Bikemonger. So click,click and it was on the way, and it arrived in my parcel locker yesterday.
    Damned fine bike shop for single speed, fat bikes, bikepacking and more

Its a UK shop and I"m unsure if that was the only option for Aussie buyers or if he couldn't get any from the USA.

Hope thats helpful

(Edit: Buggar, Charlie has sold out of those alternator dropouts mentioned - you may not even want/need them but I simply thought you should know that their availability was on the way out)

Be sure to leave me a link to your build thread/posts when you get your build started.
    I'd enjoy reading about your progress and component purchase decisions and the logic that preceded them.

likes beer
    I think I want some gears. Ive been loving the simplicity of SS but after adding an Arkel trunk bag (not pictured) and filling it up, man its getting heavy! These bikes aren't light to begin with....which is fine. Any suggestions for a 1x setup? I realize I'll need a new rear wheel/cassette/deraileur/chain/shifter......and that's about all I know. Any help from you folks that know way more than I do?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I think I want some gears. Ive been loving the simplicity of SS but after adding an Arkel trunk bag (not pictured) and filling it up, man its getting heavy! These bikes aren't light to begin with....which is fine. Any suggestions for a 1x setup? I realize I'll need a new rear wheel/cassette/deraileur/chain/shifter......and that's about all I know. Any help from you folks that know way more than I do?

i have a low mileage alfine8 sitting spare you could have for cheap if you felt like driving south...its on a wtb rim but easy enough to have that swapped...just never found an application it worked for me in but its a great hub,plenty of range and utterly silent...it is pretty heavy however....aside from that,shimano slx stuff works fine,not too costly,a regular 11-36 cassette should be plenty of range if you're used to riding singlespeed,and an xt hub will last for years...

likes beer
    I actually have two alfine 8s. One on my wife's KM and one on my other green Ogre (also bought it used and its slipping in 5th...UGH!). Taking the back wheel off and getting it back on is a royal pain, imo. But still, tempting.
    Where are you?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    cruces...
    yeah,i agree,i had the alfine on the new straggler,seemed like a good fit for the bike...then i got a flat...almost a half hour a farting around with it during 30+mph wind gust...ogre drops are kind of a pain no matter what type of transmission you run,and monkey nuts are your friend for keeping the wheel from wandering...

likes beer
    yeah....SS is the easiest of all, lol.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    if its not already just get a surly single speed hub and a white industry dos enos,that 2 tooth hop is often more than enough...

likes beer
    THAT is a good point. Probably just what I need. I was checking them out at INterbike this year. Shouldve picked one up then for cheaper. And yeah, my SS hub is Surly.
    Good call.

really wish they werent so damn loud, though.

Did I catch a niner+?

mtbr member
    I LOVE your bike Mr. Pink!! Classy!

question anyone! Ever put an Origin8 front rack on the front of their Ogre??
    It's a big rack about 12 -14.5 wide...
    2015 Surly Ogre XXL
    For sale? all of them

Did I catch a niner+?
    I put a Minoura rack similar to that up front for a while, it just did not work out too well for me due to my brake/shift cables being in the way and not really allowing me to carry much. I also had a Wald 157 (giant delivery basket) up front with the same effect. I would say if you want to put a rack up front like that get it really really low.

mtbr member
    Well Mine's an XXL 24" I wonder if it wouldn't sit lower?
    2015 Surly Ogre XXL
    For sale? all of them

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Been commuting on my Ogre for a couple weeks now, and I must say it rides like a dream. Schwalbe Big Ben's have been great for most of my commuting needs, while still being fat enough to handle a little dirt. It's not quite as much fun as with the off-road tires it came with, but the comfort I gain on the way to work is worth it. And you guys were right: I really only thought there was one route to my office, but with my Ogre I'm discovering and making new trails to shake up the usual pavement pound I've taken before, while smoothing over bumps large and small. On prior rides in on my rigid road "racer," I would always have second feelings when I reached a particularly violent portion of pavement that was unavoidable, which felt like it was shaking loose nearly every joint in my body. My Ogre roles right over them like it's glass. I thought I had picked out a few too many groceries, but I managed to Macgyver the shoulder strap to fill it up entirely. Ogre didn't even wince on the way home!

Specs:
    Ogre XXL (tarnish gray) - stock build
    Schwalbe Big Ben (creme)
    Jones Loop Bar
    Tubus Evo rear rack
    Ortlieb Design Back Rollers
    Cygolight Expillion 600 (great light)
    Coffee Cup Holder (essential)

surly ogre-img_3028.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i tried 3-4 different racks on the front of my ogre and they all felt awful in terms of making the bike sort of shimmy a bit when loaded,the surly nice rack rear on the front was the first one that didnt seriously effect the handling,plenty of space for the brakes/cables,even space for a couple of salsa anything cages...

Did I catch a niner+?
    Well Mine's an XXL 24" I wonder if it wouldn't sit lower?
    It might. I have a medium and use a salsa fork which actually has even lower mid-blade mounts than a surly rack which puts them between the top two anything cage mounts while on a salsa fork its between the lower two.

With the Surly fork I would take a serious look at say the Surly 8 pack or 24 pack rack.

likes beer
    Sunlite gold tec front racks are $15 or less... I have one on my Ogre. Consider it as comparable to the 8-pack rack.

My LBS provided me a different bolt and had to bend the metal plate a bit, but its great now.

Tires
    The Fargo looks a great bike and was right up there on my list of possibles when I decided on the Ogre. I was simply unsure about drop handlebars and never having had a "roadie" was perhaps a little one eyed about them at the time.

Damned fine bike shop for single speed, fat bikes, bikepacking and more

Be sure to leave me a link to your build thread/posts when you get your build started.
    I'd enjoy reading about your progress and component purchase decisions and the logic that preceded them.
    I ordered my BBS bottle cages from charliethebikemonger, I think. Cool bloke, cool shop. Heck yeah, the Fargo frame came in today. gritters-2016-matte-black-fargo-build-thread

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hi guys-

Current Salsa Fargo owner here, considering making the move to an Ogre or maybe an ECR.

Wondering if those of you with an Ogre considered an ECR prior to your purchase. I am asking because it would be a far less expensive proposition to put a suspension fork on an Ogre, than on the ECR. (Combination of straight 1-1/8" headset/tube plus the need for clearance on a 29+ tire = fork I'm not sure even exists lol)

I put a RockSox Reba RL on my Fargo almost immediately after buying it, and I'm not quite convinced that a rigid 29+ is a substitute.

I like the Jones bar configurations of these particular Surly's; very comfortable. Could maybe do Jones bars on my Salsa, it's been done, but think I would rather start fresh.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I still say the ECR and Ogre threads should be merged into one. Throw the Troll in there too.

I've had 2 happy years on my ECR. No thoughts of suspension fork, just don't need it. If you need suspension and those are the only bikes you are considering I'd get the Ogre.

mtbr member
    The OGRE has been so much fun on singletrack! The wide Velocity Cliffhanger wheel and the 2.35 inch Maxxis Ikons lay down lots of rubber. Suspension hasn't been needed...yet
    Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I ordered my BBS bottle cages from charliethebikemonger, I think. Cool bloke, cool shop. Heck yeah, the Fargo frame came in today. gritters-2016-matte-black-fargo-build-thread
    Off to have a squiz at your thread now.

Wow, love the colour and transfers.

The allen key bolts already in the fork are a nice Salsa touch that my Ogre lacked.

Congrats on its prompt arrival

Bedwards Of The West
    Surly has updated their frame bag designs with Revelate Designs, details on the Surly Blog on 4/25/16: Blog | Surly Bikes

A few weeks ago I scored one of these new bags without knowing that it was a new one (LBS had ordered a wrong size for a guy, and had it sitting there...perfect size for my Ogre). I got a steep discount because of their ordering mistake, and when I went to see what I had, I realized that it didn't look like any of the ones I had seen. I really like it. These zippers are pure beef.

Liked it so much I got a Gas Tank bag to go with it.
    I took a sharpie to the red parts of the logos.

surly ogre-screen-shot-2016-04-27-1.07.19-pm.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I saw that blog and have wanted a frame bag for a while. What size frame bag did you get and what size Ogre?

likes beer
    are they still gonna use that f'd up sizing chart with these new and improved bags?

mtbr member
    Not mine. I thought I seen on here not long ago someone looking for a large frame Ogre.

Surly Ogre Frameset EXTRAS Size LG Tannish Gray Cane Creek Avid | eBay
    Curt

20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Surly has updated their frame bag designs with Revelate Designs, details on the Surly Blog on 4/25/16: Blog | Surly Bikes

A few weeks ago I scored one of these new bags without knowing that it was a new one (LBS had ordered a wrong size for a guy, and had it sitting there...perfect size for my Ogre). I got a steep discount because of their ordering mistake, and when I went to see what I had, I realized that it didn't look like any of the ones I had seen. I really like it. These zippers are pure beef.
    I've had my order in for one since February. Finally showed up about a week ago, and I think it's a new one: Red tag, beefy zippers. The thing I can't locate is the hydration port. Where did they put it? I think I'm going to have to remove the bag to figure it out.

My one complaint is the zipper direction. They have that divider inside that sections off a perfect space for a water bottle, but you can't unzip just enough to take out the water because it runs the opposite direction. You have to unzip the whole thing. Minor complaint, though. The bag looks very well made and very functional. I may have to look into their gas bag, too. I've already use the Revelate handlebar harness/bag combo, and it was very nice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_E View Post
    The thing I can't locate is the hydration port. Where did they put it? I think I'm going to have to remove the bag to figure it out.
    Found it. Where the bag comes to a point at the head tube. I had to find it from inside the bag because I just wasn't seeing it on the outside.

Bedwards Of The West
    I haven't tracked down my hydration port, I'll have to look for that. Haven't tried a bladder in there, but I can see doing it.

On the divider/water bottle/zipper delimma... I have a bottle that seals really well and doesn't drip or leak, so this works well... YMMV. I fill the back of the divider area with tube, tools, etc, and put the bottle in front of the divider. It sits along the down tube, so at like a 45 degree angle. This makes it really accessible with only unzipping the very front of the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by ETChipotle View Post
    I saw that blog and have wanted a frame bag for a while. What size frame bag did you get and what size Ogre?
    XL Ogre, size 4 bag. I don't know if there's a better fitting one, because this was literally the only one in the shop that they ordered by mistake, I just got lucky on the size. It fits perfect.

are they still gonna use that f'd up sizing chart with these new and improved bags?
    Yes

mtbr member
    Nice day here in Michigan! Went out for awhile this morning and this afternoon - ran errands... tried out the front rack hauling a few boxes..
    Going to ditch the 2.25 Kenda on the front and 2.1 Inano rear - thinking more of a touring tire on the Halo's - but have them up for sale too.. if they sell going back to the wheelset it came with
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails surly ogre-img_20160502_101140661.jpg  

2015 Surly Ogre XXL
    For sale? all of them

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Gave my ogre some love today: serviced BB and rear hub, and installed new chain, cassette and shift cables. Wanted to put my new 20T granny gear on but couldn't get the bolts to budge...we're gonna need a bigger torx wrench!

Did I catch a niner+?
    Hopefully next week I can overhaul my Ogre, it needs some serious love after this wet weather. I put a crude cheap Sigma 5.12 cycling computer on it. It is wired it has 5 functions, all I wanted was time and total distance.

Had an issue with this speed sensor since I use a Enabler fork it is rather far away even near the hub, so I finally figured it out and stack an additional rare earth magnet on top of the standard magnet and it worked!

http://www.blackburndesign.com/fende...l#.VzKr2xUrK34
    Anyone seen these in person? My Cascadia's are getting pretty beat up and was looking at changing, I can get a real nice price on these and they have a 2.35 width for my big apples. If no one has I might just be the guinea pig and report.

mtbr member
    Those look like some nice fenders! I can say for the $$ the SKS's I have are decent and easy to remove if needed!
    2015 Surly Ogre XXL
    For sale? all of them

Did I catch a niner+?
    Those look like some nice fenders! I can say for the $$ the SKS's I have are decent and easy to remove if needed!
    They turned out better than I had hoped, on coverage specifically.

Downside to them is the rubber flaps are not riveted but simply slide on and lock in to place.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Pure filth

surly ogre-20160522_173239.jpg

Had my Mk1 Ogre since 2012, I like it a LOT

Thought about trading it for ECR but can't bring myself to part with it...

mtbr member
    Took the first step toward getting rid of my beloved Ogre Mk1. Happy and sad at the same time(mostly happy!). The replacement Waltworks won't be ready for several months. The farewell tour has begun.

mtbr member
    Ogre frames are back in stock and I have mine ordered. I'm hoping to have pics within the next couple of weeks. I can't wait!
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly Lowside

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    My Ogre just outside Lead, SD.

mtbr member
    Got my ogre today!

surly ogre-img_1053.jpg
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly Lowside

mtbr member
    Thinking of going from Jones Bars to flat bars. On my medium Ogre I got a 100m Thomson stem...do you guys think I need to shorten it? I got longer arms than I do legs
    Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Thinking of going from Jones Bars to flat bars. On my medium Ogre I got a 100m Thomson stem...do you guys think I need to shorten it? I got longer arms than I do legs
    What the..? I think I remember someone writing JONES BAR JONES BAR JONES BAR. Why the switch?

Try a flat bar with the same stem then adjust from there. Probably won't need to shorten it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matterhorn View Post
    What the..? I think I remember someone writing JONES BAR JONES BAR JONES BAR. Why the switch?

Try a flat bar with the same stem then adjust from there. Probably won't need to shorten it.
    Lol...still like them. I am climbing better with my Marin Pine Mountain with Thomson 780mm bars. My forward posture gives ifeels better on downhill too
    Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Probably lots of factors involved in the differing climbing abilities. No?

mtbr member
    Yes. I do think the Ogre could do better. I am comparing a 27.5 plus bike that is very similar to the Ogre. I think if I correct my posture that would be the ticket. I love the Ogre. Also on downhill, I want to have my arms out more.
    Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Sounds like another 780 Thomson is the ticket. I'd like to try that one myself.

mtbr member
    No doubt the Thomson Ti bars are awesome. The Ogre would get the Carbon All Mountain Version at 750mm to match the shiny black stem.

Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I've always said, " The Ogre is nice but needs more carbon." Thought about having stickers made.

Sweet Pine Mountain! Now that could use some carbon. (hint: apply carbon to the area in orange)

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    goodness. aren't Surly bikes supposed to be designed specifically to alleviate all these clearance issues?
    As pythagoras once said 'even surly can't predict how long/wide your cranks are.' or how fat your tyres will be.

My initial ogre setup will be as a city bike. It will have troll forks on it which will reduce the offset by 3 degrees. Have two sets of cranks. Will attempt to run cyclocross cranks with 40c tyres. Won't hold my breath though. Will most probably need wider xt cranks to prevent toe overlap.

Qfactor applies to the front end also.

mtbr member

Lightening up the Ogre

surly ogre-img_4035.jpg
    Hey all! I've had my Ogre for a few months now, and love it! I've put an RS fork on it and flat bars for everyday riding, and plan to switch out fork and bars back to stock rigid and Jones H-bar for overnights and bike packing. It's super responsive and handles really well. The last few rides, however, it felt a little sluggish. Possibly the weight, possibly my own lack of regular riding in the AZ summer heat?
    I would love to make this a do-it-all bike, single track, commuting, bike packing, etc..
    The only caveat to me is it's weight. I haven't gone tubeless yet, still searching for the right (affordable) rims.
    I've been thinking about wider rims, a la ARC 30mm's or so with the Ardent 2.5's, but not sure it will fit in the rear without rubbing the der. I would put commuter tires on the stock wheel set and just switch out wheel sets based on the need.
    Other than tubeless, what else have you all done to lighten the Ogre up?
    "There's nothing like touching earth you've never touched"

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    lol,grab yourself a couple of surly nice racks,and make sure every bottle cage mount has a cage on it,get 2 sets of panniers and a ulock and 6 foot cable,throw a BOB trailer on and ride around like that for a while....then when you want to go ride trails strip all that stuff off and it will feel much lighter!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bazooka_beard View Post

Name:	IMG_4035.jpg 
Views:	339 
Size:	498.5 KB 
ID:	1084400
    Hey all! I've had my Ogre for a few months now, and love it! I've put an RS fork on it and flat bars for everyday riding, and plan to switch out fork and bars back to stock rigid and Jones H-bar for overnights and bike packing. It's super responsive and handles really well. The last few rides, however, it felt a little sluggish. Possibly the weight, possibly my own lack of regular riding in the AZ summer heat?
    I would love to make this a do-it-all bike, single track, commuting, bike packing, etc..
    The only caveat to me is it's weight. I haven't gone tubeless yet, still searching for the right (affordable) rims.
    I've been thinking about wider rims, a la ARC 30mm's or so with the Ardent 2.5's, but not sure it will fit in the rear without rubbing the der. I would put commuter tires on the stock wheel set and just switch out wheel sets based on the need.
    Other than tubeless, what else have you all done to lighten the Ogre up?
    Buy a Pusgley. I own both, and the Ogre feels like a rocket compared to the Pugs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    hi everybody,

i just saw that a trustworthy german bikeshop lists the 2017 ogre frameset available for preorder.

Colors are 'sepia brown' and 'black'

Sizes S,M,L,XL

no pics, no further informations, just 27.5"+ or 29"

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    put the ogre on a diet...took the racks off,thats 5 lbs right there...ditched the front derailleur and put a 32 tooth narrow/wide chainring,left the 24 tooth inner ring on for a kick down option for pulling the trailer...
    swapped the fat b nimble from back to front and put a maxxis ardent 2.4 on the back...
    and tried the fit of the framebag,not too bad,a bit big but not bad..

surly ogre-dsc04217.jpgsurly ogre-dsc04221.jpgsurly ogre-dsc04222.jpg

mtbr member
    ...tried the fit of the framebag,not too bad,a bit big but not bad..

Name:	DSC04217.JPG 
Views:	233 
Size:	267.1 KB 
ID:	1093905
    Looks good. Too big is better than too small when it comes to frame bags. To see what I mean, see first picture here: http://forums.mtbr.com/surly/surly-s...l#post12809615
    Last edited by Larry Endomorph; 09-12-2016 at 08:48 PM.
    Out to ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    [QUOTE=hamsterspam;12828388]put the ogre on a diet...took the racks off,thats 5 lbs right there...ditched the front derailleur and put a 32 tooth narrow/wide chainring,left the 24 tooth inner ring on for a kick down option for pulling the trailer...
    swapped the fat b nimble from back to front and put a maxxis ardent 2.4 on the back...
    and tried the fit of the framebag,not too bad,a bit big but not bad..QUOTE]

Make the frame a bit more poo colored and that could be my ECR.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    the ecr junior....
    good deal on the frame bag since it fits the krampus and karate monkey as well...i no doubt will get one of those stragglecheck bags at some point,the tangle bag is fine for now though,nice to have a frame big enough to get at full size waterbottles with the tangle bag in place...

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Surly Ogre 27.5''+/29'' MTB frame kit 2017

anyone know what this is?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finfromoz View Post
    When the new Troll was introduced, I e-mailed Surly and asked if they could divulge if a similar treatment was in store for the Ogre. The reply was non-committal but I thought it hinted that changes are indeed coming to the Ogre. Sounds like it's going more the way of the Karate Monkey than the Troll.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by non-conformist View Post
    hi everybody,

i just saw that a trustworthy german bikeshop lists the 2017 ogre frameset available for preorder.

Colors are 'sepia brown' and 'black'

Sizes S,M,L,XL

no pics, no further informations, just 27.5"+ or 29"
    right i think we found the same thing. seen anything from surly announcing this? i didn't think that they've really ever said anything official about 27.5+ on the ogre.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    thanks corwin, very good news for me. weird convergence of bikes though, having also chucked all the braze-ons back on the 2017 KM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Finfromoz View Post
    thanks corwin, very good news for me. weird convergence of bikes though, having also chucked all the braze-ons back on the 2017 KM.
    I'll bet the new Ogre will NOT be suspension corrected, much like it's little brother, thus differentiating it from the 2017 KM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by notequal View Post
    I'll bet the new Ogre will NOT be suspension corrected, much like it's little brother, thus differentiating it from the 2017 KM.
    This is what I'm hoping, as well.

If I were in the market for a new frameset, I think I would probably get a 2017 Troll. The more I look at it, the more I like it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i would think it will be a new color and perhaps come with the extra terrestrial 29x2.5's and keep the jones loop to differentiate from the fargo or deadwood or maybe the new bar they have coming out...
    i know im gonna snag a set of et's when they come out for the ogre...i would love to see the knard in a 2.5...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    fiddled with the spacing on the rear cogs,think the 32 18/20 combo will work out for general duty around town and really wherever i would ride this,pulled a 35lb load in the trailer today on a 32/17...just a bit too much on hills with that size load...should be a good touring set up as well,slow,but in the right way with a load...
    slapped a rack on the back for grocery runs and who knows what else...

surly ogre-dsc04236.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Homeward bound...

Recently did the NCN route 5 from Holyhead back to Banbury

surly ogre-ogre-ncn-5.jpg

Another good adventure on the old Ogre
    Last edited by subversion; 09-16-2016 at 09:05 AM. Reason: updated

Quote Originally Posted by notequal View Post
    If that's true, it's really going to be tough deciding between the troll 26+ and Ogre 27.5+. And frankly, ECR 29+ as well.

mtbr member
    I really dislike the chain slap on 3 x setup on the Ogre compared to my 1 x setup on the Marin. The Ogre may get a Drivetrain overhaul. I really do enjoy the Microshift.

Any possibilities of setting up the Microsift with a 1 x setup?
    Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

likes beer
    out at Taos mesa this weekend

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    If that's true, it's really going to be tough deciding between the troll 26+ and Ogre 27.5+. And frankly, ECR 29+ as well.
    Easy choice--get the ECR. Not sure how/where the Ogre would be better. To be fair my riding is heavily biased toward dirt but 3" tires roll fine if I must ride pavement. I'm also quite tall. (Notice I didn't even mention the Troll.)

Afun--just take the front shifty bits off and wham-o you've got micro shift 1X. Or wrap the chain stay with an old tube and you may not even notice the chainslap. My stock ECR came with a chain that was too long when the wheel was slammed, check that too.

Easy choice--get the ECR. Not sure how/where the Ogre would be better. To be fair my riding is heavily biased toward dirt but 3" tires roll fine if I must ride pavement. I'm also quite tall. (Notice I didn't even mention the Troll.)
    I definitely don't disapprove of 29+, as I'm running one right now (front with 2.4" rear). I guess my hesitation is that having ridden an ECR and other 29+ set ups, will I need it for the type of riding I'll be doing? Also, I've got a fat bike that can handle 29+ already.

So I started to look at the Troll. 26x3" tires are still plenty nice for offroad, I'd imagine, and I do like the quicker feel to the smaller wheels. Also, my wife rides a Disc Trucker, which means I can switch out my tires for regular 26" when we tour together, and have to carry less spare parts (BB drop is 40mm, so plenty clearance with "skinny" 26" tires).

Now, if the Ogre gets into the mix with 27.5+? Goldilocks? I don't know....

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    That all makes sense to me. I understand your interest in the Troll, lot of good reasons to go that route.

mtbr member
    I thought you Ogre owners ought to know what your bike is capable of in the right hands...

The world on one gear. Does it need a catchy headline?

Surly should be making use of Markus, methinks.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Any bike, anywhere, anytime.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    heck,they should be giving bikes to people like that if for no other reason than pics of their bikes leaning against stuff in interesting places!

mtbr member
    out at Taos mesa this weekend

I think I've been to that bridge! Is that Hwy 64 coming out of Taos?

likes beer
    Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    I think I've been to that bridge! Is that Hwy 64 coming out of Taos?
    yep!

mtbr member
    MTB29erCurt is correct, it's a RackTime.

I bought two of these "Snapit Adapters", they (oh) snap into either the front rack or the rear rack, and it's very secure without bungies. I bolted one "snapit adapter" to a waterproof bag and it's awesome. They sell locks for them to lock into the snap. I'm guessing it's at least designed in Germany (Tubus).

Now, after all of that, it's time for full disclosure. I was only meaning to tout the merits of my Ractkime Racks. The REAR has been used on the Ogre and Troll and it's been wonderful. I have never mounted the front racktime to the Ogre for a few reasons:

It would sit way too high. It's pictured previously on a non-suspension-corrected fork, so the fork's crown isn't so far away from the top of the tire. The center of gravity of your load would be much higher on the Ogre, with it's extra long fork. It would look goofy too.

The grey bike pictured also has much narrower fork blades. The semi-fatty Ogre fork blades sit too wide, so I'd have to BEND the Racktime front rack's "legs" wider to fit over the Ogre's semi-fatty fork. I didn't want to stress my rack, especially since it's aluminium, so I avoided ever mounting it to the Ogre since I already didn't like how it would sit too high.

Sorry for talkign so much about a front rack that I cannot recommend for the Ogre in good faith. I didn't mean for it to go this way. The rear rack is fine, it's good, it's great, but a big NO on the FRONT rack for the OGRE (or other tall forks).
    I agree that the Racktime frontit front rack sits to high, but I liked the adapter system and wanted a racktime rack on my bike. You can hack a Racktime rear rack to fit the front of (some) bikes. This is my Specialized AWOL with a Racktime Lightit Touren rear rack on the front, and I am sure that a Racktime rear rack could be made to fit the front of an Ogre.

Look for the Tubus/Racktime mudguard hanger, as you can bend it, dremel out the bolt holes a bit and use it to attach the "rear" of the rack to your front fender bolt at the fork crown (you may need a slightly longer bolt). For an older Ogre, it would probably work quite well with one of those problem solvers fender hangers and if the new Ogre is non-suspension corrected, it may fit new Ogre forks like it does on my AWOL.

surly ogre-20160730_163701.jpg
    Last edited by PDKL45; 09-21-2016 at 08:56 PM.

mtbr member
    I've been playing around with different bars and stems, trying to find the perfect position on my Ogre. I've had flat bars, loop bars, short stems, long stems, angled stems...but I think this combo feels the best, at least so far.

surly ogre-img_1247.jpg
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly Lowside

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    im really digging the soma junebug bars on the ogre,i put a shorty 45 degree rise stem on and its pretty much perfect,although im sure at some point the surly open bars will go on...but overall the jones loop bars have spent thousands of miles on the bike,im sure in the long run they will end up back on the ogre...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    after a few towing sessions with the BOB trailer the junebug bars were just a touch too narrow for good control over the trailer when standing and climbing,and the 32/18 gear was a bit much for pulling a loaded trailer uphill...heck,i was riding the karate monkey ss on a 32/19 for the trails so for pulling a trailer it was a grunter...
    so,swapped the wheels from the karate monkey since the nano was basically useless in the sand and the ogre rarely venture off anything rougher than gravel and put the white industries dos enos 20/22 on and put the surly open bars on since this bike primarily is my in town commuter bike and it got the bb7's off the straggler as the old ones had a lot of miles on them...
    and greened her up some more...some swag grips from the qpb rep and some spank spike pedals...

surly ogre-dsc04243.jpgsurly ogre-dsc04242.jpg

mtbr member
    ...and greened her up some more...
    Yeah you did. Well done, sir.
    Out to ride

mtbr member
    Well I bought a Surly Cheater bar for my Ogre. I will post up some pics once I get it installed. Theirs only a few pics online.
    Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i really like the open bars on the ogre,felt easier to control the BOB trailer than even the jones loops,especially when standing up to pedal up hills with a biggish load,say around 40 lbs or so,and also with more top heavy loads where keeping the trailer more or less upright becomes crucial and somewhat difficult...
    i wish i had some real idea of how much cargo the ogre and the BOB trailer have hauled,its no exaggeration to say its in the realm of tons...and i must be getting up around 6-7000 miles on this bike...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Somehow market forces have brought the price of canvas green RH rims below my ability to resist. Looks like I'll be building a truing stand. This will be putting more frog in ogre since I already have the tan frame with green accents.

surly ogre-frogogrerims.jpg

What makes my bike show up in the woods the most is the wheels and tires, so this should reduce visibility a little bit.
    Last edited by ETChipotle; 10-14-2016 at 12:59 PM. Reason: add frog ogre picture

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ETChipotle View Post
    Somehow market forces have brought the price of canvas green RH rims below my ability to resist. Looks like I'll be building a truing stand. This will be putting more frog in ogre since I already have the tan frame with green accents. What makes my bike show up in the woods the most is the wheels and tires, so this should reduce visibility a little bit.
    just use your bike as the truing stand. i think this is the relevant gmbn video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq-ISp5cwVE
    2003 Kona A
    2005 Kona A
    2012 Cannondale Hooligan
    2016 Salsa Deadwood

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I want to build a number of wheels in the coming years, and it's nice to work in the basement in the winter without hauling a bike indoors. I also plan to build some wheelsets for frame sizes I don't have yet.

I'm hoping that the hub manufacturers will come out with special edition gnot-boost sized hubs anodized in Surly colors.

mtbr member
    Anyone running the new 24 Pack Rack with the new Porteur House Bag on their Ogre. If I spend 270 bills on 2 items for my Ogre this close to Christmas, I'll be sleeping on the couch for sure. LOL
    Curt

20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    got a set of BOB nuts for the alfine8 so i got the ogre set up in cruiser mode...

surly ogre-dsc04283.jpgsurly ogre-dsc04284.jpgsurly ogre-dsc04288.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Maybe we'll try another SA Pass trip but I'll borrow your Ogre instead taking my 8 footer. I might get close enough to see you at least.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    with the alfine its about as heavy as the 8 footer!
    the only problem would be this bike rolls along like a buttered cadillac,you might fall asleep from the ridiculous plushness...easily solved by the recently installed coffee cup holder and green latte cup...

that would be a stout ride with the straggler set up singlespeed...i suppose its ironically appropriate that its in what somewhat unenlightened folk would consider "girly" colors since the straggler is like a "suffer jet" now...

yup,just a 38/17 gear for 4000 feet of climbing would be a good ride for sure....im pretty sure i would have to yell at the campground climb a bit...

mtbr member
    The wife gave me the O.K to get a new set of Big Apple 29X2.35 tires. Also gave the O.K for the Surly 24 pack rack and the Surly Porteur House Bag. Ordered the tires thru Tree Fort Bikes, $35 each. Went by my LBS this past Saturday to order the rack and bag. Got lucky and got 10% off on those two items. Should have everything on Wednesday or Thursday. I'll post picks once I get everything installed.
    Curt

20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker

mtbr member

Ogre now with Gnot-Boost spacing?

I was just poking around the Surly website and came across this:

http://surlybikes.com/uploads/downlo...No3_Web_VF.pdf

A few pages in it mentions the Ogre being redesigned. No surprise but seems to be confirmed. Who knows when it'll be available. I wonder what will happen to the ECR?
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    I was just poking around the Surly website and came across this:

http://surlybikes.com/uploads/downlo...No3_Web_VF.pdf

A few pages in it mentions the Ogre being redesigned. No surprise but seems to be confirmed. Who knows when it'll be available. I wonder what will happen to the ECR?
    Whats really amazing is that someone actually read the Intelligencer!

As an ECR rider I'd hope nothing happens to it. Pretty darn good as is. Thankfully I've already got one. So..actually go ahead...Gnot Boost, slack it out, shorten the seat tube by about 6 inches...make it better?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    hmmm...yeah,im curious what they would do....27.5+/29er?...maybe the ogre as a drop bar anyroad tourer?

i kinda thought it would be something along the lines of coming stock with the 29x2.5 ET tires and the moloko bars...
    and the ECR...i dunno what they could do there....it seems pretty well suited for what they designed it for...

for me,it would be nice if the ogre wasnt so tank like unloaded,but then again it is a touring bike...i cant really think of anything i really dislike about it...

and the ECR...im not sure how to put this...its so capable a bike it almost manages to be not fun to ride...thats a bad way to put it though...it corners like its on rails and climbs like a velcro footed goat...it does everything you want a mountain bike to do,all with couch-like comfort...

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Has anybody put a set of canvas green RH rims on their Ogre? I bet it would look great.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    tomorrow...got too dark before i finished...think old jaguar...leather,chrome,and black...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Has anybody put a set of canvas green RH rims on their Ogre? I bet it would look great.
    In progress, slow progress. I'd like to see a picture of the rims with the green ogre.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i gotta swap an inner tube and wait for the sun to get a bit farther up but your wish will be granted...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    ok,think it came out looking pretty sweet,the rims really give it a custom look,like i had something resembling a plan!
    got the rims for 67 bucks each with tax...had a surly hub from the krampus for the front and used my alfine 8 so about 200 bucks for the wheel build...

build deets..

xxl ogre frame/fork
    surly open bars (riser version)
    canvas green rabbit hole rims laced to shimano alfine8,surly ultra new disc front
    schwalbe big apples 2.35
    race face evolve crank/bb
    surly stainless steel 32 tooth chainring
    beat to crap expedo spry pedals
    surly stainless seatpost collar
    surly nice rack rear
    bb7 brakes/levers

surly ogre-dsc04350.jpgsurly ogre-dsc04357.jpgsurly ogre-dsc04358.jpgsurly ogre-dsc04352.jpgsurly ogre-dsc04353.jpgsurly ogre-dsc04354.jpgsurly ogre-dsc04356.jpgsurly ogre-dsc04360.jpg

got a leather saddle coming and a set of gum and silver grips...think it needs an 8 pack rack up front and a set of extraterrestrails...im looking at you surly!

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Once you get those ETs, grips, and saddle that one might have to be left alone. Looking good and I know how well it rides. Another in the win column for H-spam along with the Krampus.

Any chance you want to buy my purple bar so I can go all in on Gold? I can get the same bar in shiny ass gold. Then I can win Wed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    you bet,i can use them on the ICT...

yeah,the ogre is well suited to its purpose,i think an 8 pack rack would round it out nicely as far as being my townie bike..

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi mate, that's just about the Ogre of my dreams

I was torn between an Ogre or a Troll a few years ago, and went with the Troll as I had a set of wheels for it. Money was an issue at the time, and as much as I like the Troll the Ogre still pulls at me.

Also how do you like the hub gear? I'am thinking about one when my drivetrain needs replacing.

Good riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    the alfine is great aside from being so heavy but that hardly matters with this build since in generally nothing has been done to make it lighter...it shifts instantly,its quiet,has enough gearing range for me to haul a trailer and still be able to zip around...

mtbr member
    Nice Ogre build hamsterspam! It looks great.
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly Lowside

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    thanks,couldnt live a car free life without the ogre,it deserves the love...

Ambassador of Chub
    ok,think it came out looking pretty sweet....
    I'm guessing you can't wipe the shit-eating grin off your face when you roll around on that steed. Sweet build, brother.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i have to grin to hide the grunting from pedaling that beast around!

thanks,its a fun mid-life crisis at least,considerably less lame than a corvette and hairplugs as i like to joke!

if there was an easy solution to the alfine shifter problem this would make a sweet woodchipper style bar build i think,especially with the extraterrestrails...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Ogres. Chainsaws. ATVs.

I brought an Ogre to an ATV party. Trail clearing/re-routing event this weekend, lots of fun with new people from the Snowmobile crowd. They make our fatbike trails happen and I'm thankful for that. The trail no longer goes off a cliff into the river, and major wood pile-ups are pushed aside. Thanks for the pictures, a prod for me to get off the pot and do something productive:

surly ogre-rh-w-sram-900-xd-small.jpg

This wheel looks awesome with your green ogre! I like the way it looks with the Tarnation Beige too.

mtbr member
    Hey guy, my flask cage is a bit off...does anyone know which one fits better?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Hey guy, my flask cage is a bit off...does anyone know which one fits better?

Switch the position of the bottle and flask? Put the flask under the DT? Fill the bottle with tequila and leave the flask at home? Lots of options.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    ^ Why not just flip the bottle and the flask cages?

mtbr member
    I guess I could flip them, but I swear I saw a cage on Surly's site that was shorter in the pocket. It's gone now.
    Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    problem solvers handlebar cage mount...no reason to have the flask and it not be near to hand...

Did I catch a niner+?
    Put the cages on the forks or just put the large bottle cages on the fork and put the flask where you have it or on the DT.

Problem Solvers
    There is also this height adjuster from PS.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    leather saddle and gum grips came in...

think im gonna get a dimension seatpost and stem in silver since those are fairly cheap...throw an 8 pack rack on the front,not hold my breath waiting for the extraterrestrail 2.5's and call her good...

surly ogre-dsc04368.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    except for a chris king headset and bottom bracket that is...may as well make it long lasting and low maintenance...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Ogre Tie Wraps

surly ogre-ogretiewrapssmall.jpg
    Ogre color matching tie wraps? Who knew?

mtbr member
    Hey guys, I picked up a set of salsa QR skewers and found they're a bit longer than the Shimano ones I'd been using. In the front, they're both 100 mm skewers, but the salsa one is about 4-5 mm longer. How far out can the skewer stick out of the tension nut before it's not safe? Is 4-5 mm ok?
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly Lowside

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    never had any problems with mine

mtbr member
    Your skewer stick out past the tension nut a bit?
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly Lowside

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    yes

mtbr member
    It would be shame to sell my baby, but I found a dual suspension that makes me a better climber and rider than I am. Have I taken this rigid beyond its limits...yes, but the issue here is more about the wife than anything else. It's a terrible thing to spend 4 grand on a bike now a days.

Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    suspension doesnt make you a better climber,only more climbing makes you better...

and its gonna be tough to sell such a heavily customized bike without taking a staggering loss on it...

mtbr member
    suspension doesnt make you a better climber,only more climbing makes you better...

and its gonna be tough to sell such a heavily customized bike without taking a staggering loss on it...
    I hear you loud and clear on the loss. I could remove my wheelset and add the stock new ones that came with the bike. That could save me a bit. Still don't think I could bring myself to sell it.

I do have to disagree with you on the climbing. Just by cutting weight and trying out some different geometry you could improve on the climb. I'm starting to increase my speed on the downhill too. I would benefit from some squish there too. I just really like my Ogre for almost everything. Climbing still not terrible, but I could improve.
    Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I do have to disagree with you on the climbing. Just by cutting weight and trying out some different geometry you could improve on the climb. I'm starting to increase my speed on the downhill too. I would benefit from some squish there too. I just really like my Ogre for almost everything. Climbing still not terrible, but I could improve.
    Sort of splitting hairs but different geo and suspension could, possibly, lead to faster times on climbs but they won't make you a better climber. I'm in the camp that suggests the biggest gains (or at least the more rewarding and satisfying gains) can be seen from improving ones skills.

Don't forget there are drawbacks to suspension.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    technique and endurance will get you up way more climbs than suspension will....

try a strava climbing challenge,nothing like forcing yourself to climb to get that practice in...

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast