Surly MidNight Special - Page 3- Mtbr.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    THIS BIKE HAS SOLD! Someone got a sweet deal.
    THIS BIKE HAS SOLD!

Hello all, If this type of posting is inappropriate for this section, my apologies. Moderators can feel free to remove.

I already own an Ogre and ICT. I was considering adding Midnight Special, but have not concluded if it is quite right for me at this time. However, I have been keeping my eye on CL for the past couple of months and have watched this 64cm Midnight Special

https://boulder.craigslist.org/bik/d...662318341.html

go from $1700, to $1650, then to $1500......$1400..13, 12, now down to $1100. Seems like a steal to me. The bike is a bit too big for me, but I thought I would post the link if anyone else was interested. I do not know if they will ship, but if you are anywhere near Denver/Boulder, and are looking for a 64cm Midnight Special this might be for you. (I am not affiliated with the CL posting IN ANY WAY), just sharing. Happy riding! P.S. I will monitor this ad and the day it is deleted I will remove this post as well.
    Last edited by cybermock; 10-10-2018 at 11:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    Nrg makes Surly stuff expensive in Canada. At the current exchange rate it should be $810 CDN.
    I think this pricing non-sense caught up with NRG. The Canadian SRP on the new Surly website is $862 for the frameset. Direct from QBP is how the come to Canadian bike shops now, is what I've heard. This isn't because wholesale prices came down..its just that we're paying less to the supply chain...

MN/WI
    What are folks doing for fenders? Especially if you got spikes. Even if you donít.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by theGliberal View Post
    What are folks doing for fenders? Especially if you got spikes. Even if you donít.
    I bought one of those Ass Savers-styled fenders for the rear, though it is longer and has nice coverage. Attaches to the seatstay and sticks out pretty straight over the rear tire. It folds when not in use. For the front I bought a plastic, downtube-mounted fender. Put it on once, never really needed.
    it's a challenge some of us are ultimately worthy of.

MN/WI
    Quote Originally Posted by tyriverag View Post
    I bought one of those Ass Savers-styled fenders for the rear, though it is longer and has nice coverage. Attaches to the seatstay and sticks out pretty straight over the rear tire. It folds when not in use. For the front I bought a plastic, downtube-mounted fender. Put it on once, never really needed.
    Thanks for your response. But I'm looking at full fenders.
    Remember, nobody knows. So let's find out...

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by theGliberal View Post
    Iíve seen some Midnight Specials using sks-germany.com fenders and the tires were not studded.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    When I do my dream builds in my head, VO Zeppelin Noir is where I always go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by islander View Post
    I think this pricing non-sense caught up with NRG. The Canadian SRP on the new Surly website is $862 for the frameset. Direct from QBP is how the come to Canadian bike shops now, is what I've heard. This isn't because wholesale prices came down..its just that we're paying less to the supply chain...
    ..and now the frameset SRP shows as $949CAD. The next color announced better be a good one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Anyone know if this is the actual new Midnight Special color?

https://theradavist.com/2019/04/the-...a-gallery/#168

If so, not exactly what I was hoping for, but still better (to me) than Hot Mayonnaise.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Smith View Post

If so, not exactly what I was hoping for, but still better (to me) than Hot Mayonnaise.
    If it is the new color and its what you want, make sure that is what they order. Last week some Midnight Specials arrived at the bike shop and they were Hot Mayonnaise.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Smith View Post

I don't think so. That yellow was used by Whisky on a number of Surly bikes they fitted with full sets of carbon upgrades at a previous show. If you look on their Insta you can see them. From what I've heard the new Midnight Special colour won't be a day glo one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Whew!

mtbr member
    Cassette install question:

I took the original spec cassette off (11sp 11-32 Sun Race RS3) and put it on my trainer wheel. Ordered the same cassette to put on my normal riding wheel, but the cassette won't fit. The main cassette fit on the hub, then the next two gear rings fit, but the last one won't sit properly with the spline. It sits on top and will spin, as if the hub can only fit ten gears.

I took the original cassette off and put it on the trainer wheel without issue. I've installed cassettes before no problem. Wonder if I am missing something stupid? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tyriverag View Post
    (...) The main cassette fit on the hub, then the next two gear rings fit, but the last one won't sit properly with the spline. It sits on top and will spin, as if the hub can only fit ten gears.(...)
    Don't know what kind of hub/freewheel Surly uses - if it is a 10/11 speed MTB freewheel, a 11 speed road cassette will be too wide. 11 speed road hub freewheels are slightly wider that 11 speed MTB hub freewheels. Maybe this helps...?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quick question - I am considering to change my frame to a Surly Midnight Special. I have a nice set of wheels next to the parts bin - WTB i25 rims with COmpass Snoqualmie Pass 700c x 44 tyres - any chance to squeeze these into the frame and fork until I can build some 650b wheels?

Cheers,
    Marc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by caseonline View Post
    Don't know what kind of hub/freewheel Surly uses - if it is a 10/11 speed MTB freewheel, a 11 speed road cassette will be too wide. 11 speed road hub freewheels are slightly wider that 11 speed MTB hub freewheels. Maybe this helps...?

Yep, thank you for confirming. I talked to the shop and they said the same thing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    What are everyoneís thoughts on sizing. I ride a large Ogre and Krampus that both fit well. I tried a 58cm Midnight Special and could never get comfortable. Felt too stretched out. Maybe a 56cm? Anyone else find them to feel big? Itís impossible to find one in stock to try out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasky View Post
    What are everyoneís thoughts on sizing. I ride a large Ogre and Krampus that both fit well. I tried a 58cm Midnight Special and could never get comfortable. Felt too stretched out. Maybe a 56cm? Anyone else find them to feel big? Itís impossible to find one in stock to try out.
    I tried out a 58 cm, yes it seemed a bit stretched out, then put on a shorter stem, still wasnít right. Ordered a 56 cm and it was the ticket.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Surly I Ride View Post
    I tried out a 58 cm, yes it seemed a bit stretched out, then put on a shorter stem, still wasnít right. Ordered a 56 cm and it was the ticket.
    I think I went down to a 80 or 90mm stem and it just wasnít right. I may sell my krampus and order another MS in 56cm. Thanks.

mtbr member
    I have a large Krampus and got the 58 cm Midnight Special, fits perfect with a 100 mm stem Ė*a fairly stretched out position, which I like, but not as stretched out as on my 56 cm CAAD12 road bike.

I went with the 58 cm MS for the increased stack height, because I have a pretty high saddle (82 cm) and wanted the bars higher up without having to use spacers and a riser stem.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123