Surly Lowside - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Surly Lowside

mtbr member

Surly Lowside

The Lowside is back in stock. Ordered mine on Monday, got it yesterday, finished building it this morning. Mostly stock. I put a chromag sequence ring on because I had it laying around. Changed out the headset spacers to carbon because itís a Surly and needs carbon headset spacers .

Gonna finish the fall out like this. Next spring Iíll likely add a dropper and upgrade the brakes.

Edit: Forgot I swapped the post for a Thompson since I had one in 30.9 laying around as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: I fix bikes for a living.

mtbr member

Surly Lowside

I couldnít wait. I swapped the brakes to Avid BB7s with 180 rotors just in time to send it at the local bike park. I took the Lowside with because itís the perfect compliment to my Pickle Rick costume. Did one run wearing Pickle Rick (sketchy as hell) but had so much fun on the bike that I spent half the day doing laps on the Lowside while my DH bike sat on the car rack. Ended up putting a dropper on after the downhill day. This bike is one of the most fun bikes Iíve ridden in a long time. I loved my original 1x1 but this bike is far superior in every way.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    These are the pictures I didn't need to see, especially after buying an ICT yesterday.

What size is yours? Large? Looks awesome, and I'm always looking for a big BMX bike for cruising the neighborhood and hitting the skatepark with my 4 year old, and having a clunky good time on the trails.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Anyone got one built up 26+?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Surly Lowside-lowside1.jpg

Just got her Monday. Not super impressed with the stock build, but I'll assume if you are buying this bike you have some sweet stuff layin' around. I didn't like the fact the Sunrise bars are 22.8 mm clamp and it came with a 31.8 stem with adaptors. I guess I can understand.

I swapped out the stock brakes for a set of BB7s with new 180mm TRP rotors. Still getting the brakes set up, I had issues setting up TRP calipers with Hope rotors, so I assume I just need to do some clever shim work. A 66sick saddle and a set of Echo trials pedals. ODI ruffian grips.

I'm planning on building it with a lot of purple ano. Hope cranks, hubs, seatpost clamp, and 180mm rotors. Paul Components' limited color this year is purple, so maybe some Love Levers. TRP Spyke calipers. I'm still a fan of mechanical discs, and I've run Spykes on my 1x1 for a couple years. Great when set up properly. I may go to 26x2.8 Maxxis DHF and DHR skinwalls. Cause skinwalls are sweet, and I feel these stock tires must be disgustingly heavy. Maybe find a slightly longer rigid fork to slack out the front a degree or two. I think Surly said it can take a 100mm travel, 470mm a-c or so sus fork. I figure with the slightly smaller tires and slightly longer fork, it will have decent bottom bracket clearance and decently slack geo (for my tastes).

Other than that... the bike? Its fun. Way fun. What else do you need to know? I got it together late Monday night, slapped on some lights, and went for little ripper to show it off at the bar. Even my non bike-head friends thought it was sweet. 'Cause it is. Today I got some miles in, no trails yet, gotta get those brakes in shape, but yeah, all the curbs. Some little off road paths. Took me a little bit to get comfy on a new bike, but by then end of the day my wheelies were coming along.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenngineer View Post
    These are the pictures I didn't need to see, especially after buying an ICT yesterday.

What size is yours? Large? Looks awesome, and I'm always looking for a big BMX bike for cruising the neighborhood and hitting the skatepark with my 4 year old, and having a clunky good time on the trails.
    Itís a large. Iím 6í1Ē and love the fit. One of the main reasons I bought it was hitting the trails with my 7 year old. My trail bikes are no fun at his speed, but putzing along on the Lowside is a blast.

I swapped the stock crank for an XO I had laying around for no other reason than it wasnít being used, and is better than the stock crank. Also ordered a bmx stem with a 22.2 clamp to get rid of the spacers. Iíll post updated pics when the stem is on.

Iím also digging the bars enough that I ordered a pair for my Trek Sawyer.

mtbr member
    I think Iím done making changes to the Lowside. Here is the list of changes from the stock complete build:
    - Salt bmx stem
    - Avid BB7s with 180mm rotors
    - KS dropper post
    - Cromag saddle
    - XO DH crank with Cromag sequence direct mount chainring.

Freakin love this bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwnhlldav View Post
    I think Iím done making changes to the Lowside. Here is the list of changes from the stock complete build:
    - Salt bmx stem
    - Avid BB7s with 180mm rotors
    - KS dropper post
    - Cromag saddle
    - XO DH crank with Cromag sequence direct mount chainring.

Freakin love this bike.

Killer build. Really digging the look on that bad boy. Could you please tell me the saddle height (from the center of the bb position) when the dropper is up? And is that a 150mm dropper?

Cheers!

mtbr member

Surly Lowside

Quote Originally Posted by zoro View Post
    Killer build. Really digging the look on that bad boy. Could you please tell me the saddle height (from the center of the bb position) when the dropper is up? And is that a 150mm dropper?

Cheers!
    Thanks!

Itís a 125mm dropper. Saddle height is 30Ē.

mtbr member
    Finally got some time out on the trails and was able to compare it to my normal trail rig (NS Eccentric). The bottom bracket is low. Had some pedal strikes but Iíd say they were mostly due to sloppy riding (havenít really ridden single speed on trails in several years) and not having the right gear ratio for my preferred cadence and the terrain I was riding. The 32x16 is a little high for my out of shape legs. I have several surly cogs up to a 20t so Iíll play around and see if that and more time in the saddle makes a difference to the amount of pedal strikes. Though, it looks like snow is finally arriving so trail ride season might be done till spring.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    And you see where that's got him
    Sadly heís asking for loans and advanced orders to pay his bills. He has some great ideas but heís an idea man not a business man.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Is this a mash-up of the 1x1 and Instagator?
    I have both and love both,but, can this Lowside interloper take the place of both?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Iíd like to know how this frame only has a 2 rating.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by racefit View Post
    Iíd like to know how this frame only has a 2 rating.

I emailed Surly about this recently and got a reply saying it's rated condition 3, along with a link to the frame information sheet. I thought I'd been mistaken but wasn't sure, so I went to google and searched a bit. I eventually found that a link to what must have been a previous version of the frame information sheet rating the frame for condition 2 riding, but when I clicked the link it "404'd".

They must have made a mistake. The current frame info sheet shows condition 3.

Edit to add: Not that it matters, but here's the URL to the google cached version of the framesheet pdf with the condition 2 rating:

https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...=firefox-b-1-d

mtbr member
    Looking for a little help understanding how the Lowside's rear dropouts work/don't work with a 141 QR rear hub. I know it will fit. But...

Will I have to use/get axle spacers...like the ones you need if you want to run a 135mm QR? It would be cool to just slide the wheel in and clamp the QR down and then ride away.

Thank you!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I was under the impression you just squeeze/flex the dropouts with the qr when installing your wheel. Similar to how surly had the crosscheck spaced at 132.5, so you could squeeze it closed on a 130mm road hub, or stretch it a bit to slide in a 135mm hub.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    You'll need the adaptor washers, not for the width, but so the hub axle has a solid connection to the frame - you're axle stub is 10mm, the dropout slot is 12, the washers take up the difference.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies...still confused tho. I get that the the spacers will hold the QR axle in place. Kinda like the old QR adapters on the gen 1 tuggnuts. But don't the gnot boost spacers "fill in" the "relief" in the drop out? Meaning that those spacers make the spacing for 135, and not 141/boost.

Thanks for your patience!

Mebbe these would work?
    https://surlybikes.com/parts/10_12_adapter_washers

mtbr member
    Surly explains it all here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkhc0D-yB_8
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

mtbr member
    Thanks to all. I think I need those spacers, and I will be set.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Any of you tried to fit 3" tires on 27,5" rims to Lowside. Surly says it will take 2.8" tires on 27,5 but will it take by any chance some good old 3" on that wheel size?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Pics of her first trip to the trail. I was super lazy and a big sissy last year when it came to riding, so it took me since I got the bike in November to hit the dirt.

I know everybody seems to be a huge fan if this bike, and I love my old 1x1, but I just don't get it. I'm working on building it how I want it, but you know, that's an expensive process. Just... Surly's whole beer bike with 26+ trail tires and bmx bars? Yeah Surly, we get it, you're weird. But the stock build didn't seem to do anything well for me. It wasn't fun to pedal around town. Too many pedal strikes on my east coast trails. I dislike using spacers to attach my bars to the stem. I felt like I needed to overtorque the crap outta them. And holy wide. And soooo heavy. 33 TPI Dirt Wizards? I bet these effers weigh like 1300 grams a pop. OEM only. But I bought the complete so I could at least ride something, cause who has extra boost 26+ wheels laying around? And I'm sure you'll all trash me cause if you don't get it, it isn't for you. But I'm exactly the kind of butthole this bike is marketed for. But I just think it sucks.

I have a new 480mm A-C fork on the way to slack out the front and raise the BB, and I may potentially switch to 2.8 Maxxis Minion tires after this. Probably going with a Deity and/or Cromag cockpit. I did just slap on a set of limited purple Paul Klampers. So it's coming along! May join this decade and... GASP... pick up a dropper post.

Flame away for trashing your beloved Lowside and Surly.

Surly Lowside-0331191436.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I definitely concur the stock build is the suck. No BMX stem, seriously?

I'm single speeding my ICT for the warm weather, with the Sunrise bars... So my take on the beer bike is even stupider.

Pretty excited, though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeStroganoff View Post
    It wasn't fun to pedal around town. Too many pedal strikes on my east coast trails. I dislike using spacers to attach my bars to the stem. I felt like I needed to overtorque the crap outta them. And holy wide. And soooo heavy. 33 TPI Dirt Wizards? I bet these effers weigh like 1300 grams a pop. OEM only. But I bought the complete so I could at least ride something, cause who has extra boost 26+ wheels laying around? And I'm sure you'll all trash me cause if you don't get it, it isn't for you. But I'm exactly the kind of butthole this bike is marketed for. But I just think it sucks.
    no fun riding around town?? i ride mine down every flight of stairs i see... hop curbs. wheelie across overpasses. bike path covered in snow? no problem. how are you trying to ride this?

i don't think it's particularly heavy, and don't forget its rated level 3; it's a tank.
    i think its exactly what surly is marketing: a bomb proof / idiot proof spare parts type frame (gears? no gears? dropper post? suspension fork? 26 wheels or 27.5 wheels) that works perfectly as an urban ATV

that said, they were out of completes in my size when i bought mine, so i ended up building from frame up. i love surly, but sometimes their build kits for completes are kinda meh. such as the stem choice. and the bars can (and maybe should?) be chopped smaller. maybe for your style you would have preferred 27.5 x 2.8s?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I go back and forth with my feeling on this bike like every other ride. Yesterday I got entirely pissed with pedal strikes and it's trail mannerisms, again, then bailed on that idea after a couple miles. Afterward I went to rip around town, and had a blast, until the bolts came loose in the cheapo stem and the bars tweaked when I came down off a curb. I think that's just cheap parts, and I think some Loctite may fix that.

I think a lot of my issues with thrashing around town came from me being out of riding shape last year when I bought it, and getting used to the frame and the handling have helped. Oh, and quitting drinking, cigs, and a whole winter of weight training helped. Man, what a shitty singlespeeder I am these days. I just kinda find everything a weird mix and blend of parts that doesn't work for me. The trail problem... well... that's just gonna have to wait for a new fork and cockpit. I just had to piss and moan a bit in frustration.

mtbr member
    My man, we've all been there. If you buy a bike with your heart instead of your head, sometimes you end up heartbroken. I'd get a simple 22.2 bmx stem, tilt the bars just a hair forward of the ht angle, drop the saddle to a fist's worth of seat post showing, and give the bike one more shot.

Roll some stair sets. Jump some curbs. Find a nice smooth bank and spend a half-hour messing around on it. Ride to a trail if you can, and once you're there grind up some climbs and lean into some turns. Sit when you get tired, and walk when you have to. Do your utmost best to have a blast on the bike.

And if that still doesn't work, just move on. We've all been there. Just lemme know. I haven't had my heart broken for awhile.
    All mountain bikes are all-mountain bikes.

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    ^^^^^ What he said!

mtbr member
    New color and complete spec for the Lowside.

https://surlybikes.com/bikes/lowside
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly Instigator 1.0

mtbr member
    Dammit. I heard a new color was coming, and I hoped it wouldn't come out until my bank account had recovered from the last ill-advised purchase. ;-)

Still really want rack mounts. Might have to get a Karate Monkey and pretend it's a Lowside.

mtbr member
    This is such a cool bike, wish I could justify having it but I'd hardly use it.

The photo shows 27.5+ Rekons but the spec still lists 26x3 DW

mtbr member
    This is such a cool bike, wish I could justify having it but I'd hardly use it.

The photo shows 27.5+ Rekons but the spec still lists 26x3 DW
    The build kit section now has two tabs: one for the green frame and one for black. You will find the 27.5 wheels under the green tab.

And, yeah. I could actually see using this a fair amount, leaving my Troll in it's bus-friendly, commuter tire mode, and leaving the plus tires on the Lowside for days when I knew I'd be skipping the bus entirely. But I still need a quick and easy way to throw my commuter gear on the bike, plus, the Karate Monkey seems like it might be more versatile overall. I'd say it's a tough decision, but I guess since I don't have the money yet, I don't have to decide.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_E View Post
    The build kit section now has two tabs: one for the green frame and one for black. You will find the 27.5 wheels under the green tab.
    Thank you for pointing that out. Now that you have, I found the same on the KM page.

mtbr member
    Like the new color. And 27.5 is okay I suppose. But $150 price increase doesnít seem at all justified, could just be me though.

mtbr member
    Ahh. Had to go to universal cycles to see that it comes with maxxis tires and scraper rims now. Still seems like more of a price bump than what was ďupgradedĒ.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017

And, yeah. I could actually see using this a fair amount, leaving my Troll in it's bus-friendly, commuter tire mode, and leaving the plus tires on the Lowside for days when I knew I'd be skipping the bus entirely. But I still need a quick and easy way to throw my commuter gear on the bike, plus, the Karate Monkey seems like it might be more versatile overall. I'd say it's a tough decision, but I guess since I don't have the money yet, I don't have to decide.
    For what it's worth the Monkey definitely feels like a big bmx bike on 27.5" x 3" for me, but would obviously be more trail-capable if you wanted. If I already had a Troll though it makes the decision a little tougher, but I don't think you would ride the monkey and think that it isn't playful enough for doing hoodrat lowside stuff like skiddies and jibs and 180's and whatnot.

That being said I have a monkey that I adore and yet here I am, ogling the Lowside...
    Santa Cruz Megatower
    Surly Karate Monkey

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by troodontinae View Post
    For what it's worth the Monkey definitely feels like a big bmx bike on 27.5" x 3" for me, but would obviously be more trail-capable if you wanted.
    That's where my head's at. My Troll only tackles pretty mild off-road stuff as is, and putting a suspension fork on it is no longer an option. But the small amount of off-roading I've done has shown me the appeal of having something that can I can ride on rougher stuff, whether it's trails or just goofing around in the city. The Lowside seems like it has a lot more overlap with the Troll. That's somewhat appealing, because I can share some tires and get rolling more quickly, but it also means that I can expand my terrain options more with the Monkey.

Quote Originally Posted by troodontinae View Post
    That being said I have a monkey that I adore and yet here I am, ogling the Lowside...
    And that's how it goes with so many Surly bikes. ;-) In addition to my Troll, I'd love to have a Lowside/Karate Monkey, a Straggler, and a Big Fat Dummy. Oh, and a place to store them all, as long as I'm wishing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RFrahm View Post
    Like the new color. And 27.5 is okay I suppose. But $150 price increase doesnít seem at all justified, could just be me though.
    Well, it does have a 17t and not a 16t cog.

mtbr member
    Well, it does have a 17t and not a 16t cog.
    I missed that. Totally worth it then!

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    trade war

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Loving the color, and I love my 1x1, but now that its 27.5+ why would I buy this instead of a KM? Iím not sure a 50 mm shorter fork, a slightly steeper head angle and less capacity for racks etc., is worth having the lowside. I would rather see a complete single speed KM or Krampus.
    Stache 7 --- Rigid Surly 1x1 B+ --- Dirt Drop CrossCheck

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frs1661 View Post
    Loving the color, and I love my 1x1, but now that its 27.5+ why would I buy this instead of a KM? Iím not sure a 50 mm shorter fork, a slightly steeper head angle and less capacity for racks etc., is worth having the lowside. I would rather see a complete single speed KM or Krampus.
    Agreed. I wanted the purple monkey ss but I couldnít get the funds in time before they sold out. They couldnít keep them in stock! I havenít ridden the lowside and still really want to. I just canít see the price vs a monkey or krampus for a mess around bike. Should get it out of my mind and just build a second wheelset for my Wednesday... For some reason I still keep thinking about the lowside.

mtbr member
    Studying the differences...

Lowside is not suspension corrected, Monkey is. Lowside has steeper angles front and rear. Lowside has the same ETT but the steeper angles make the reach longer. So even though the Lowside has a shorter fork it nevertheless has less stack and it will work better with that cool looking riser bar and BMX stem.

Lowside has fewer braze-ons and costs $75 less for the frame.

mtbr member
    Studying the differences...

Lowside is not suspension corrected, Monkey is. ...
    Lowside is suspension corrected for 100mm. KM for 140mm, I think.

mtbr member
    Lowside is suspension corrected for 100mm. KM for 140mm, I think.
    They say you can use a 100mmx26" suspension fork, but obvs it will lift up the nose. But when you look at Lowside or the Troll you can definitely see the long head tube is taking up vertical space that on the Monkey is there for a suspension fork.

Lowside
    Tire Clearance Fork [1] 26 x 3.0" 27.5 x 2.8"
    Rigid Fork Spec 420 x 47mm
    Max Suspension Fork Length [4] 490 x 47mm (26 100mm)

Monkey
    Tire Clearance Fork [1] 29 x 3.0Ē
    Rigid Fork Spec 483 x 47mm
    Max Suspension Fork Length [4] 551 x 51mm (27.5+ 140mm)

mtbr member
    They say you can use a 100mmx26" suspension fork, but obvs it will lift up the nose. But when you look at Lowside or the Troll you can definitely see the long head tube is taking up vertical space that on the Monkey is there for a suspension fork.
    Right, because the Lowside is suspension corrected for a shorter travel fork. The original Troll was also suspension corrected for a 100mm travel fork. Current Troll models are not suspension corrected. But the Lowside is.

I'm just pointing out that when you say the Lowside is not suspension corrected, that's not strictly true. It's just corrected for a shorter travel fork than the Karate Monkey. It's a difference worth taking into consideration, but it's not the same as saying the Lowside is not suspension corrected at all. They even provide a separate set of geometry numbers for when you're using a a suspension fork, same as they do with the Karate Monkey.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Surly Lowside-surly-lowside-condition-2-490-max-fork.jpg
    Surly Lowside-surly-lowside-condition-2-490-max-fork-pg-2.jpg

Surly Lowside-surly-lowside-condition-3-508-max-fork-pg-1.jpg
    Surly Lowside-surly-lowside-condition-3-508-max-fork-pg-2.jpg

508 max a2c vs 490 max a2c
    condition 3 vs condition 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by rusheleven View Post

508 max a2c vs 490 max a2c
    condition 3 vs condition 2
    i am not really sure what this is showing/suggesting... elaborate?

mtbr member
    Looks like two different conditions mentioned for the same frameset. I wasn't able to locate a second frameset sheet on the website though, only the condition 2 one. The fork, however, states it's a condition 3 fork. Odd.
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly Instigator 1.0

mtbr member
    I am intrigued by the Lowside and wanted to run something by the Surly community here. I currently have a Pugsley and an ECR, both of which I adore. However, if I'm being 100% honest, I find a ton over overlap in the two bikes. There really isn't anything I do on the ECR that I couldn't do on the Pugsley, especially if I had a 29+ wheelset for the Pugs. With both the fat wheelset and a 29+ set, I'd pretty much have the ECR covered, in full.

This leads me to my question. I rode 26" bikes for years and find that I miss the smaller size wheels. As such, i'm really considering a Lowside as an ECR replacement. I love the idea of a big BMX bike for the city and a few trails, so the Lowside is super intriguing, but so is a 27.5 KM. Which would you guys steer me towards and why?
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly Instigator 1.0

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by typingofthedead View Post
    i am not really sure what this is showing/suggesting... elaborate?
    There are two different frame sheets for this bike. I bought mine when it was labeled as a condition 3 with 508 max fork length. Then they reduced it to condition 2 (same as a Crosscheck or Steamroller (6" max drop)) and said max fork length of 490mm (which reduces the number of forks available greatly).

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Condition 2 for this thing would be dissapointing.

mtbr member
    From the Lowside product page, in the Q&A section:

Q: In the Lowside product video we see the rider demonstrating aggressive riding and jumps exceeding 6". Does the rider void the warranty that claims this bicycle is intended for condition 2 riding? It seems strange that this bike is given the same rating as a Cross Check or a Steamroller considering the claimed usage.

A: That is a pesky misprint, the Lowside is a condition 3. We are working on updating the literature!
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly Instigator 1.0

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by cassa89 View Post
    From the Lowside product page, in the Q&A section:

Q: In the Lowside product video we see the rider demonstrating aggressive riding and jumps exceeding 6". Does the rider void the warranty that claims this bicycle is intended for condition 2 riding? It seems strange that this bike is given the same rating as a Cross Check or a Steamroller considering the claimed usage.

A: That is a pesky misprint, the Lowside is a condition 3. We are working on updating the literature!
    I'm not sure "pesky" is the word I'd use. Interestingly, the Ice Cream Truck frame sheet says "condition 4", while the Karate Monkey, Krampus, and Wednesday are all "condition 3". What's different about the ICT, or is that another "pesky" misprint?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Iíd love to build one of these for around town and cruising the local BMX track. But the low rating gives me pause.

Would really like to know what it can handle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    No joke. The spec sheet and what the reps are saying don't match up and all the inconsistency is killing my buzz.

That 'pesky' misprint has been going on by saying max fork length is 508 or saying that the condition 2 rating is correct since this bike was released. 2 years. They are on the second color way and build and still haven't fixed it. BOOOO.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Dammit. I heard a new color was coming, and I hoped it wouldn't come out until my bank account had recovered from the last ill-advised purchase. ;-)
    Every purchase I make is ill advised.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Anyone slapped a suspension fork on a Lowside? I'm seriously considering a front squish build and would love to hear how they ride.
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly Instigator 1.0

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Nah, I bought a fork for mine (reba 29er at 507 a2c) and which was legal for the frame with the original frame sheet. Then I sold it because they changed the spec sheet.

There are no burly forks that fit this bike. In the 490 a2c range that is the max for the bike you are stuck with 32mm stanchions and with the 110 axle and the 3" minimum 26" tire rating there is nothing that works with my stock wheels.

If you go 27.5x2.8 then there are a few options to fit tires, but you have to buy wheels, and your still stuck at 32mm stanchions.

This bike had potential and the fork rating basically kills it. I guess I'm still a bit bitter about it. . .

Bike rides great as an around town bruiser. (Did I mention how slow the dirt wizards are on pavement? My Nates seem faster.)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rusheleven View Post
    Nah, I bought a fork for mine (reba 29er at 507 a2c) and which was legal for the frame with the original frame sheet. Then I sold it because they changed the spec sheet.

There are no burly forks that fit this bike. In the 490 a2c range that is the max for the bike you are stuck with 32mm stanchions and with the 110 axle and the 3" minimum 26" tire rating there is nothing that works with my stock wheels.

If you go 27.5x2.8 then there are a few options to fit tires, but you have to buy wheels, and your still stuck at 32mm stanchions.

This bike had potential and the fork rating basically kills it. I guess I'm still a bit bitter about it. . .

Bike rides great as an around town bruiser. (Did I mention how slow the dirt wizards are on pavement? My Nates seem faster.)
    Fantastic feedback. Exactly what I needed to hear. Looks like I'm turning towards a KM or Wednesday squish build!
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly Instigator 1.0

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    ^ Good call. I love my Wednesday. and would trade my Lowside for a KM in a heartbeat.

mtbr member
    I couldn't resist and placed an order for a Lowside yesterday. It should be built up by Friday. No suspension fork on the initial build, but I'm planning to order one in the near future. Perhaps this, too, will be an ill advised purchase. Only time will tell. But I'll have as much fun as possible while I find out!
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly Instigator 1.0

BBB STYLEE
    Cassa89, let us know what fork you go with. I'm interested in this myself, but feel the options are limited momentarily.
    Im referred to as a BBBM. Big Beautiful Beard Man.

mtbr member
    They're limited. As far as I can tell, unless you want to use tires in the 2.2 or 2.3 range, the only line that meets the 100mm travel, boost spacing, and 490 or less a-to-c criteria are the RockShox SID line.
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly Instigator 1.0

mtbr member
    New bike day! Went with a 1x9 set up with a suspension fork yet to come. Really interesting bike! I wasn't expecting how much of a "single track gone BMX" this bike really is. Crazy fun!

Surly Lowside-img_2448.jpg
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly Instigator 1.0

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    New bike day! Went with a 1x9 set up with a suspension fork yet to come. Really interesting bike! I wasn't expecting how much of a "single track gone BMX" this bike really is. Crazy fun!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2448.jpg 
Views:	689 
Size:	471.7 KB 
ID:	1280987
    26Ē or 27.5Ē?

mtbr member
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly Instigator 1.0

Ride On

Weight? Ride Quality?

Anyone weigh their frameset prior to building? If not how would you describe the frame from a ride quality perspective? Dead or springy? I have a OG Moonlit Swamp medium Krampus that has an excellent ride quality, I've read and heard that the new Krampus and KM are not the same springy ride anymore and I'd hate to plunk down for a Lowside if it were the same.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldooka View Post
    Anyone weigh their frameset prior to building? If not how would you describe the frame from a ride quality perspective? Dead or springy? I have a OG Moonlit Swamp medium Krampus that has an excellent ride quality, I've read and heard that the new Krampus and KM are not the same springy ride anymore and I'd hate to plunk down for a Lowside if it were the same.

Cheers!
    I'm interested in how this gets answered. I rode a Lowside at a demo day and thought it felt great[27.5]. I have a 1x1 that I really like and it felt similar I thought, to some degree. Obviously with the wide bars and short stem the ergonomics are different.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldooka View Post

Cheers!
    I didn't weigh it, sorry. As for the dead or springy question, I'm not an expert (not even close), so I'll defer to anyone more informed than I. However, I'd say it feels closer to the OG Krampus I had than it does the ECR I had, if that helps. While I'm waiting to add a suspension fork, the rigid fork set up feels good on the basic trails I've had it on. It's more "lively" a bike than I anticipated. I've not owned an Instigator, but someone said they felt it was a marriage between a 1x1 and the Instigator 2.0.
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly Instigator 1.0

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    ^ I've owned several 1x1's and an Instigator 2.0 and I agree with that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Here is my current setup on the Lowside, and a pic with my trusty old 2nd gen 1x1.

I tried the Paul Klampers, and promptly went back to TRP Spykes with Hope floating rotors. Expensive mistake. Other than that, Raceface Atlas cranks, Blackspire purple chainring, Deity pedals. Those pedals won't last with my riding, but they look good! I put a 20 tooth cog on the back, I can ride 32x16 on he trail, but holy crap my knees tell me I'm in my late 30s the next day!

This winter will hopefully see a new wheelset on I9 hubs, and a 9point8 dropper.

Surly Lowside-surly-lowside-01.jpgSurly Lowside-surlys01.jpgSurly Lowside-surlys02.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice! How do you like those bars on the lowside?
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly Instigator 1.0

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    The BMX stem I had on before was a toploader, and with the Sunrise bars it was just too much. These bars and stem cut off over a pound from the front of the bike, so I'm happy. Again, maybe it was the rise, or the weight, or maybe I just didn't want to like them, but those Sunrise bars didn't do it on the Lowside for me. I'll for sure be using them on another build at some point though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    If you're actually riding technical trails, they're pretty tall bars. I run mine on my ICT with a slammed front loader to get them down a bit, they're great for fat bike bushwhacking in the snow and goofing off, but definitely not an aggressive riding bar.

My biggest complaint... they're stiff as hell. After a couple decently spirited rides, my hands are bruised.
    Last edited by Glenngineer; 10-19-2019 at 07:50 AM.

mtbr member
    I've not ridden my lowside on many trails yet, but I'm already not a huge fan of the sunrise bars. As you guys stated, they're so damn high. I'm using a top load BMX style stem, so maybe I'll try a front load stem before I move away from the bars completely. I'll have to find shims first, which isn't ideal either.
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly Instigator 1.0

mtbr member
    So how does the Lowside compare with the 1x1?

Here is my current setup on the Lowside, and a pic with my trusty old 2nd gen 1x1.

I tried the Paul Klampers, and promptly went back to TRP Spykes with Hope floating rotors. Expensive mistake. Other than that, Raceface Atlas cranks, Blackspire purple chainring, Deity pedals. Those pedals won't last with my riding, but they look good! I put a 20 tooth cog on the back, I can ride 32x16 on he trail, but holy crap my knees tell me I'm in my late 30s the next day!

This winter will hopefully see a new wheelset on I9 hubs, and a 9point8 dropper.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Surly Lowside 01.jpg 
Views:	881 
Size:	517.5 KB 
ID:	1287353Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Surlys01.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	443.0 KB 
ID:	1287355Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Surlys02.jpg 
Views:	702 
Size:	562.5 KB 
ID:	1287357
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

mtbr member
    Picked up a Surly LowSide today from Rays bike shop in Bay City, MI.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Lowside-img_0700-1.jpg  

Last edited by whitecoyote; 11-27-2019 at 09:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    So how does the Lowside compare with the 1x1?
    Cool side-by-side Jake, but how do they ride?!
    Stache 7 --- Rigid Surly 1x1 B+ --- Dirt Drop CrossCheck

mtbr member
    How is the ride different between those bikes?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Sorry for the delayed response. I've been riding the Lowside for the last few months, and I'm very happy with the bike at this point. Higher engagement hubs and new hoops are on the agenda this winter.

I'm no bike reviewer, so I dunno what to say here. I'm no gear junkie, nor do I need a new bike every year. I rode the old 1x1 for the past 7 years or so, and I loved that thing. Since sorting out my build on the Lowside, it's been my go to.

As for the ride. I find the beefier frame and tires have increased my confidence in going hard. I have been getting after the jumps and drops a lot more recently. It can sometimes be a little rough pushing the stock wheels and tires up a hill, but hopefully new hoops, hubs,and meat will help with that. Pointing it down a hill, the rotating mass just keeps it going. Like I said, it's my go to at this point And that is saying something.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I've not ridden my lowside on many trails yet, but I'm already not a huge fan of the sunrise bars. As you guys stated, they're so damn high. I'm using a top load BMX style stem, so maybe I'll try a front load stem before I move away from the bars completely. I'll have to find shims first, which isn't ideal either.
    Can you flip the stem? Some BMX top load stems can be run either way.
    Ragley Big Wig, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), 91 Schwinn High Plain (single speed "gravel" bike), Nashbar CXSS (on trainer)

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Has anyone tried out 29" wheels on the Lowside?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MediocrityRules View Post
    I haven't, but I don't think they'd fit.
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly Instigator 1.0

mtbr member
    I haven't, but I don't think they'd fit.
    They almost certainly would, depending on how wide you wanted to go. Lowside is specced for 27.5 max of 2.8" wide, which, I think, is equivalent to around 2" in 29". So theoretically you should be able to put 29 x 2.0 in there.

My Troll has clearance for up to 26 x 3.0, same as the Lowside, and when I first set it up, I used my 700c x 40 wheelset with plenty of room. So probably not a wide 29" wheel, but it seems like it should work.

Now whether you would want to is another story.

mtbr member
    I don't think a 29" would fit.

Surly Lowside-surly-tape-1.jpg

Surly Lowside-surly-tape-2.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whitecoyote View Post
    I don't think a 29" would fit.
    What are the measurements of that tire?

mtbr member
    What are the measurements of that tire?
    27.5 x 2.8

mtbr member
    27.5 x 2.8
    So using this site: https://bikecounterculture.com/2017/...er-calculator/

It looks like that tire would have the same diameter as a 29 x 2.0. So it should fit just fine. You just wouldn't want to go much wider than 2".

Personally, even my road tires are currently 2.3", so I probably wouldn't want to run a 29 x 2, but it seems like it could be done.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Thank you very much for checking the clearance. Is there much room in the forks below the steerer?

mtbr member
    Surly Lowside-surly-tape3.jpg

mtbr member
    I think the Lowside was originally spec'd for 26" wheels, but can fit 27.5. I know my 27.5 x 2.8" are fairly tight, as you can see in the above pics. If you used 29" wheels, I think you'd have to go narrow with tire selection as any height on the tire would likely hit the fork in the front. That said, it would be interesting to see!
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly Instigator 1.0

mtbr member
    Looks like Surly just came out with a new color for the LowSide.
    Stray Hair Gray

https://surlybikes.com/bikes/lowside

Rider
    Jan 2019
    Yes. I was all set to pull the trigger on a 27.5" when they were back in stock but of course now it is only offered in 26."

Still might get one but I'm gonna need to think about it a bit.

turtles make me hot
    Just get a frameset and build it 27.5.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    According to the Surly the LowSide will be made in 27.5 (green).

mtbr member
    There was a lot I liked about the 27.5 Lowside, but a lot I didn't. So much so that I ended up selling it rather quickly.

1) I hated the sunrise handlebars. It had my hands far too high. Yes, I could have swapped it for another set up, but there were other things I didn't like as well.

2) I felt the bike was pretty stiff. I didn't expect it to be as comfy as the ECR was, but I felt it would feel similar to a Krampus, which it is not. It reminded me of what an old, 90's mountain bike felt like with a rigid fork.

3) For a city/trail bike, it felt heavy. It wasn't all THAT heavy really, but it felt heavy under me.

I regretted not ordering a 27.5 Karate Monkey almost right away. It may actually ride and feel better with 26+ wheels.
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly Instigator 1.0

Rider
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    No. I know me and if I did this I would end up with a $4,000 klunker spinning on ceramic bearings etc....

I am a bit confused on this. The site still lists the 27.5 in green but I called Surly a couple of weeks ago and they said that was an old color (hold over from 2019 as they put it) and no longer available and a new color and spec was coming this year.

There was a lot I liked about the 27.5 Lowside, but a lot I didn't. So much so that I ended up selling it rather quickly.

1) I hated the sunrise handlebars. It had my hands far too high. Yes, I could have swapped it for another set up, but there were other things I didn't like as well.

2) I felt the bike was pretty stiff. I didn't expect it to be as comfy as the ECR was, but I felt it would feel similar to a Krampus, which it is not. It reminded me of what an old, 90's mountain bike felt like with a rigid fork.

3) For a city/trail bike, it felt heavy. It wasn't all THAT heavy really, but it felt heavy under me.

I regretted not ordering a 27.5 Karate Monkey almost right away. It may actually ride and feel better with 26+ wheels.
    I like the Sunrise bars and have them on my Salsa.

I prefer a stiff bike. Flexy bikes drive me crazy.

That's the nice thing about this sport/hobby - something for everyone. Actually, too many options for everyone. The last thing I need is yet another bike but I currently do not have a single speed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkwfxd View Post

That's the nice thing about this sport/hobby - something for everyone. Actually, too many options for everyone. The last thing I need is yet another bike but I currently do not have a single speed.
    That is very true!
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly Instigator 1.0

Snow Dog
    No. I know me and if I did this I would end up with a $4,000 klunker spinning on ceramic bearings etc....
    I sooooooo hear you on this...good to realize your vices before the git ya!
    Go Practice. Figure it out - Fleas

15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

turtles make me hot
    Yep. I wanted to get one for my son. All of the kids in my neighborhood ride around on these goofy SE bikes. I was going to build him an all murdered out Lowside but came to my senses. Kids leave bikes everywhere.
    I like turtles

Rider
    Jan 2019
    Yep. I wanted to get one for my son. All of the kids in my neighborhood ride around on these goofy SE bikes. I was going to build him an all murdered out Lowside but came to my senses. Kids leave bikes everywhere.
    Yes, I am thinking of a Redline RL275 for my son as well.

Wanna ride bikes?
    I'm sure if the frame is designed around 26x3" tires it will also fit 27.5x2.4" tires, maybe more?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Now that theyíre showing it on a BMX track in the video does that mean itís durable enough for some practice days at my local track?

Rider
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    I'm sure if the frame is designed around 26x3" tires it will also fit 27.5x2.4" tires, maybe more?
    I believe they used the same frame for 26 and 27.5 wheels. Only difference has been the color.

Rider
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by racefit View Post
    Now that theyíre showing it on a BMX track in the video does that mean itís durable enough for some practice days at my local track?

How hard do you ride? I am sure it would hold up fine under me but I am pretty tame.

Rider
    Jan 2019
    So I think I am going to order the grey 26er this week.

I had an old Specialized HardRock in 26 that I loved. Matter of fact I still really like that bike a lot but I have since given it to my wife.

I bought a Salsa Timberjack 29er. I like it. I spent a bit of money to get it to be more like my old Specialized and while I do like the TJ, I am 100% positive I would like it more if it were a 27.5.

Before I purchased my ebike I rode both 29ers and 27.5 and decided I like the smaller wheels better.

I plan to use the Lowside almost 100% on the street with maybe a few horsetrails thrown in. In fact, once the tires wear down I will probably throw on a set of Maxis Hookworms. I have those on my TJ 29er and my old Hardrock and have been very happy with them.

Maxis does not make those in a 27.5 size.

Additionally, at the end of the day, if I decide I have made a horrible mistake, I will just buy some upgraded 27.5 wheels and tires for the Lowside.

And finally, I pulled both up on the computer and asked my wife which one she liked best and she said go with the grey one.

So there you go.

mtbr member
    Awesome!
    Let us know how it works out, and don't forget pictures.

Rider
    Jan 2019
    Awesome!
    Let us know how it works out, and don't forget pictures.
    Will do.

Oh yeah I almost forgot....

I won a set of peddles (Chesters) and crank boots the other day so those will be going on as well as a Serfas I.C.S seat - I try to use the same seats and peddles on all my bikes.

And once I get it and take some measurements I will be ordering a dropper with an external cable. The Lowside does have a hole in the ST for an internal dropper but no cable guides or hole in the down tube. Plus, I think the whole flavor of the bike calls for an external dropper. I plan to run that cable along the underside of the top tube, next to the rear brake cable.

Rider
    Jan 2019
    Wow, so here's the deal....

As we have already mentioned, Surly JUST announced the new specs and color last week. I called my LBS today, reminded him that we talked about this a couple of months ago and that I wanted to order one.

He said, "Let me check." Gets on his system and comes back after a few seconds with, "The warehouse has two."

So of course I ordered it right away. So glad I did not wait any longer. Seems these are made to a very limited number.

Sounds like I should have it by next weekend.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Does the Surly Lowside fork use flat mount or IS mounts? Their page for the fork says flat mount but the page for the complete bike says IS.
    Ragley Big Wig, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), 91 Schwinn High Plain (single speed "gravel" bike), Nashbar CXSS (on trainer)

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    The fork has an IS tab. You can see it in the product photo: https://surlybikes.com/uploads/parts...-1000x1000.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by XenoVelo View Post
    The fork has an IS tab. You can see it in the product photo: https://surlybikes.com/uploads/parts...-1000x1000.jpg
    Cool. I thought it was a misprint but wanted to double check cause it says here flat mounts. https://surlybikes.com/parts/lowside_fork

Honestly have no idea what flat mounts even look like.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
    Cool. I thought it was a misprint but wanted to double check cause it says here flat mounts. https://surlybikes.com/parts/lowside_fork

Honestly have no idea what flat mounts even look like.

It looks like who every wrote that started with some wording from the Midnight Special product page, and missed deleting/changing the reference to the brakes. https://surlybikes.com/parts/midn[AT...t_special_fork

The flat mount standard keeps the brake caliper pretty close to the frame/fork. I don't have any good pictures of a front flat mount, but here's a rear:

Surly Lowside-img_20191024_154907.jpg

Rider
    Jan 2019
    Picked up my Lowside today. Tried to upload photos and just got PISSED OFF.

Anyway, cool bike. I have Chesters and crank boots waiting to go on and I ordered a PNW Dropper with Loam Lever. I also will install a Serfas seat because that is what I have on all my bikes and my butt seams to be fairly happy.

Rider
    Jan 2019
    Dropper should be here tomorrow. I will install it and the big cushy Serfas I have waiting for it. Just need some additional head tube spacers. I'm going to max that sucker out and take a few local test rides. I will remove as many as I can and still be comfortable but this is the first bike I have been able to pick up without a cut headtube. I alway wish they were longer. Its going to be nice to set it up exactly the way I want it.

mtbr member
    Dropper should be here tomorrow. I will install it and the big cushy Serfas I have waiting for it. Just need some additional head tube spacers. I'm going to max that sucker out and take a few local test rides. I will remove as many as I can and still be comfortable but this is the first bike I have been able to pick up without a cut headtube. I alway wish they were longer. Its going to be nice to set it up exactly the way I want it.
    One thing to consider is if you're going to use the sunrise bars long term. On my Lowside, I had the steer tube trimmed down quite a bit due to the sunrise bars sitting so high. That said, if I could do it over again, I'd have left more steer tube and swapped to a different set of bars.
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly Instigator 1.0

Rider
    Jan 2019
    Thanks. There is a good chance I will be keeping the Sunrise Bars. I have them on my Salsa and like them (once I trimmed some width). I have a number of injuries so I prefer to sit/ride more upright than most.

Stay Healthy

Rider
    Jan 2019
    Ridding Impressions and Update - Not really a review

Background on me: 57 years old next week and in that time I have managed to break five bones, dislocate three joints, tear cartilage in my knee and get a bulging disk in my back. I have had three surgeries to repair my skeleton. I try REALLY hard not to fall or get hurt anymore.

I own the following bikes: 20 y/o Specialized Hardrock, 2019 Salsa Timberjack 29er, 2020 Giant Trance E+1 and now the Lowside.

So I picked up the 26" Surly with hydraulic brakes (27.5" come with cable brakes) in a size small. After a few short test test rides I ended up with SE Big Cruiser BMX bars (2.5" taller than the Surly Sunrise bars) and I still have 50mm of spacers under them, Serfas seat (I use the same brand/model seat on all my bikes, PNW external dropper with Loam Lever, dropped the gearing down from 17t cog to 22t cog, RaceFace Jester pedals.

In general I am not a huge fan of the longer, lower, slacker trend. Clearly, by my set up I prefer a shorter more upright bike. I think Surly's in general are fairly long and have a lowish stack height. All my other bikes are mediums, but I am glad I bought the small Surly.

First thing I noticed on this bike is that it TURNS RIGHT NOW! Not a bad thing at all, but compared to my other bikes with the slacker HT angles you can REALLY feel it on this bike. Took me a couple of miles to basically "relax" my inputs so that I was not over-steering the turns.

For me this bike is not a wheelie king. The front wheel doesn't just float up, you still need to use good technique like on most bikes. But, I do not have the rear axle slammed all the way forward. With my gearing change it kind of looks like if I remove one more link the chain will be too short, but at its current length it is too long to move the axle all the way up so I had to add a bit to the wheelbase.

Initially I was thinking I was going to add an oval chainring to help with the climbing. Not so sure now. Prior to ordering this bike I experimented with riding my local hood in a single gear on my Salsa and the Specialized. Based on those rides, I figured the Lowside would be fine for me on my local hills with the 32/22 gearing I installed.

Turns out I was correct. Took the entire family out and we did ten miles locally. They were on all my other bikes and I kept the Lowside the entire time. I lead and actually had to circle around several times and wait for them. I was super comfortable the entire time and I feel like I nailed it with the initial gearing. Pretty sure I will be dropping the cog down to 20t in the future but for now I will keep it at 22.

Tires are great on pavement and grass. Smooth, quiet and good traction. Not at all sure now they will work on hard, dry, dusty So Cal summer trails though.

I'm glad I got the 26er. I think the smaller wheels add to the quickness and responsiveness of the bike and the hydraulic brakes work well. I do have a bit of squeal in the front brake but I believe that will diminish as I ride it more and get the pads fully seated.

FWIW. YMMV.

Ride on and Stay Healthy

mtbr member
    May 2020

New Lowside

Thanks for all the great info on here. I've been eyeing up the Lowside for two years and when I saw the package in Stay Hair Gray I decided to pull the trigger. I had it for a week now and did some mild single track and about 30 miles of riding. Being my first 1x1 I'm impressed with the simplicity and it is a blast! I'm cutting the handlebars down 1.25" on either side and about 2 inches off of the steerer tube, leaving 3 spacers in. Going to add a dropper post and call it a day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Lowside-img_0031-copy.jpg  

Surly Lowside-img_0030-copy.jpg  

Surly Lowside-img_0032.jpg  

Surly Lowside-img_0034.jpg  

Surly Lowside-img_0033.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2020
    How much did you cut the sunrise bars down?

Rider
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by jbe89 View Post
    How much did you cut the sunrise bars down?
    I cut all my bars to 29 inches. I also use the same seat on all my bikes and have the hight the same.

Now, having said that, after I cut the Surly Sunrise bars to 29 inches and test rode for a bit, I decided that I liked the more upright riding position but I did not want my bike looking like a giraffe. So I installed the SE Big Cruiser BMX bars that look like the Surly Sunrise bars but are 2-1/2 inches taller. I then cut 45 mm (1-3/4 inches) from the steerer tube and mounted the stem with five 10 mm spacers under it and one 10mm spacer above it.

I left the SE bars alone and I just measured, they are at 32 inches. I would cut them as well but there is not enough room for the grip, brake lever and Loam Lever on the bar as is. This was not an issue with the Surly Sunrise bars, even after I cut them to 29 inches.

The issue is that when I move the Loam Lever inward far enough so that it does not contact my thumb, the clamp is then on or almost on the curved portion of the bars.

Took me a few tries but I think I have it set up pretty good (comfortable) right now.

Again, this was not an issue on the Surly bars as their grip portion is longer.

I could REALLY resolve this by using a Wolftooth Barcentric style dropper lever (https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...te-bar-centric)

But if I did that I would have two issues. One - my OCD would make me want to put that same lever on all my bikes at $75 each and Two - I ordered the Loam Lever in black with a gray pad so it matches the Lowside perfectly. Again, OCD.

As for a dropper, I went with the PNW external cable dropper for two main reasons. One is that I just feel like the nature of this bike calls for an external cable. The other is that there is no clean way to route and secure the cable down the down tube for an internal cable. Random zip ties around the down tube just wont cut it for me on such a clean bike. I was able to secure my dropper cable next to the rear brake line under the top tube. Once again, OCD.

UPDATE: Looks like the PNW Puget lever would also work for me at $29. But I still lose the cool matching gray thumb pad.

https://www.pnwcomponents.com/produc...ment-lever-kit

I'll keep the Loam Lever for now.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Thanks for all the info! I agree on ruining the aesthetic with zip ties around the down tube, so I'm planning to use these or something like it for internal dropper cable routing: https://www.jensonusa.com/Jagwire-St...Housing-Guides

Rider
    Jan 2019
    Yes, those are definitely much better than basic zip ties.

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    i have waiting this Lowside maybe 4 months now, and probably it would arrive next month. But at the mean time, my MTB was stollen, all plans have to change. Maybe i will install suspension fork until i can afford new Trail Bike, and use the Lowside as trail bike.

So, has anyone try with 120 travel fork? i know Surly clearly mention should go with 100 instead.

Rider
    Jan 2019
    Sorry for your loss. I hate thieves. How rough are your trails? A Lowside on a 100mm fork with tubeless tires at a lower pressure might be squishy and smooth enough to soak up all the bumps.

These frames look to be built fairly stout and 120mm is less than an inch longer that the recommended 100mm. I doubt it will make much of a difference. But it also depends on how hard you ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    Mostly natural trails, some rough section of chunky small stones and steep. Or Maybe i will try with original fork, and see how it feels, because this is my first rigid MTB.

can't wait the frame arrives...

KMA
    T U R T L E S P E E D
    Hey rkwfxd, can you post some pictures of your size small Lowside? How tall are you? Also want to see the creative cable routing and SE bars.

Anyone else have an size xs lowside pic you can post. Thanks!

Rider
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by KMA View Post
    Hey rkwfxd, can you post some pictures of your size small Lowside? How tall are you? Also want to see the creative cable routing and SE bars.

Anyone else have an size xs lowside pic you can post. Thanks!
    Here you go. Mine is a size small. I am about 5-7 with a lifetime of injuries.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

KMA
    T U R T L E S P E E D
    Here you go. Mine is a size small. I am about 5-7 with a lifetime of injuries.
    Nice ride. Looks like a fun bike. Thanks for sharing!

mtbr member
    I cut all my bars to 29 inches. I also use the same seat on all my bikes and have the hight the same.

Now, having said that, after I cut the Surly Sunrise bars to 29 inches and test rode for a bit, I decided that I liked the more upright riding position but I did not want my bike looking like a giraffe. So I installed the SE Big Cruiser BMX bars that look like the Surly Sunrise bars but are 2-1/2 inches taller. I then cut 45 mm (1-3/4 inches) from the steerer tube and mounted the stem with five 10 mm spacers under it and one 10mm spacer above it.

I left the SE bars alone and I just measured, they are at 32 inches. I would cut them as well but there is not enough room for the grip, brake lever and Loam Lever on the bar as is. This was not an issue with the Surly Sunrise bars, even after I cut them to 29 inches.

The issue is that when I move the Loam Lever inward far enough so that it does not contact my thumb, the clamp is then on or almost on the curved portion of the bars.

Took me a few tries but I think I have it set up pretty good (comfortable) right now.

Again, this was not an issue on the Surly bars as their grip portion is longer.

I could REALLY resolve this by using a Wolftooth Barcentric style dropper lever (https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...te-bar-centric)

But if I did that I would have two issues. One - my OCD would make me want to put that same lever on all my bikes at $75 each and Two - I ordered the Loam Lever in black with a gray pad so it matches the Lowside perfectly. Again, OCD.

As for a dropper, I went with the PNW external cable dropper for two main reasons. One is that I just feel like the nature of this bike calls for an external cable. The other is that there is no clean way to route and secure the cable down the down tube for an internal cable. Random zip ties around the down tube just wont cut it for me on such a clean bike. I was able to secure my dropper cable next to the rear brake line under the top tube. Once again, OCD.

UPDATE: Looks like the PNW Puget lever would also work for me at $29. But I still lose the cool matching gray thumb pad.

https://www.pnwcomponents.com/produc...ment-lever-kit

I'll keep the Loam Lever for now.

Hope this helps.
    Which model of the PNW dropper post did you go with?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Rider
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
    Which model of the PNW dropper post did you go with?

Cascade

https://www.pnwcomponents.com/collec...-6mm-diameters

mtbr member
    How much travel on the dropper post?

Rider
    Jan 2019
    150mm

But that might not be right for you. Fully extended I measure 8-1/2" from the top of my seat tube to the bottom of my seat rails. The dropper is about 5/8" out of the seat tube if that makes sense.

If you are shorter, or have a bigger frame you might want a 125mm dropper.

Set your seat to the height you like and then measure to find out how long of a dropper you can use. My Trance E is a medium frame so I can only run a 100mm dropper because a longer dropper will not go any further down into the seat tube. My Salsa is a medium and I am running a 125mm dropper but I cut 1" off the top of the seat tube so that I could put the dropper all the way down.

Hope this helps.

Also, if you are confused and/or not sure just get the shorter dropper and raise it a bit in the seat tube so that you are comfortable riding when it is fully raised. The only negative is that your seat will not be as low as it could be when all the way down - the difference between 150mm and 125mm is only an inch. My Giant does not go down as far as I would like. It is only an issue when I am stopped and sitting on the bike. I would be more comfortable if the seat was lower. (I sit and chat with folks quite a bit on my bike.)

If you get the longer dropper, every time you raise it your seat will be too high and you will have to adjust down a bit as your ride. PITA.

That is how my Salsa was (I bought it used). I could have put a shorter 125mm dropper on it so solve that issue but it was way cheaper to just cut an inch off the seat tube. Probably ruined re-sale but I don't care, it's not for sale and I doubt it ever will be - fits me too well now.

mtbr member
    150mm

But that might not be right for you. Fully extended I measure 8-1/2" from the top of my seat tube to the bottom of my seat rails. The dropper is about 5/8" out of the seat tube if that makes sense.

If you are shorter, or have a bigger frame you might want a 125mm dropper.

Set your seat to the height you like and then measure to find out how long of a dropper you can use. My Trance E is a medium frame so I can only run a 100mm dropper because a longer dropper will not go any further down into the seat tube. My Salsa is a medium and I am running a 125mm dropper but I cut 1" off the top of the seat tube so that I could put the dropper all the way down.

Hope this helps.

Also, if you are confused and/or not sure just get the shorter dropper and raise it a bit in the seat tube so that you are comfortable riding when it is fully raised. The only negative is that your seat will not be as low as it could be when all the way down - the difference between 150mm and 125mm is only an inch. My Giant does not go down as far as I would like. It is only an issue when I am stopped and sitting on the bike. I would be more comfortable if the seat was lower. (I sit and chat with folks quite a bit on my bike.)

If you get the longer dropper, every time you raise it your seat will be too high and you will have to adjust down a bit as your ride. PITA.

That is how my Salsa was (I bought it used). I could have put a shorter 125mm dropper on it so solve that issue but it was way cheaper to just cut an inch off the seat tube. Probably ruined re-sale but I don't care, it's not for sale and I doubt it ever will be - fits me too well now.
    Thanks for the quick reply. I'm 6 feet tall. I'll measure my seatpost and then figure it out from there. If I need any help, I'll holler.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Has anyone had their rear hub lock up on them? I have the new Stray Hair Grey 26+ with less than 100 miles on it, factory wheels and cog. Did about 9 miles on single track yesterday and no issue, come home washed it down, rode around my property a bit then put it away. My dropper post arrived today and I grabbed the bike to install it and I'm like what the hell, the hub isn't disengaging to turn the pedals backwards (turns the wheels) and it keeps spinning the chain with the wheels when stopped pedaling. Took it in to the LBS, they took it apart showed it to me and the bearing aren't disengaging and it is fully locked up when off the bike trying to turn it. LBS said they don't understand what is going on with it especially with a new bike and they are submitting it to Surly for a warranty claim.

Snow Dog
    Has anyone had their rear hub lock up on them? I have the new Stray Hair Grey 26+ with less than 100 miles on it, factory wheels and cog. Did about 9 miles on single track yesterday and no issue, come home washed it down, rode around my property a bit then put it away. My dropper post arrived today and I grabbed the bike to install it and I'm like what the hell, the hub isn't disengaging to turn the pedals backwards (turns the wheels) and it keeps spinning the chain with the wheels when stopped pedaling. Took it in to the LBS, they took it apart showed it to me and the bearing aren't disengaging and it is fully locked up when off the bike trying to turn it. LBS said they don't understand what is going on with it especially with a new bike and they are submitting it to Surly for a warranty claim.
    it's cause you cleaned the bike...that is a no-no.

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Does that use the same Novatech or Formula freehub that many other Surly stock builds use? Lots of stories around about those failing. Usually they just start spinning free, but it's easy to imagine that the blown up innards could lock it up. Your shop should be able to pull the freehub body out and see what's up. Maybe a pawl or spring just came loose and jammed it up. It's not rocket science. Worst case, if the hub grenaded, they can lace your rim onto a new, better hub.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Duplicate post, sorry!
    Last edited by cjbiker; 06-03-2020 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Duplicate

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Yes, it uses the Novatech. The LBS pulled it apart and it essentially "grenaded" and locked it up. I went ahead and switched to Stans Barron S1 wheel with 5ē of engagement at a big discount from the LBS where I bought the bike. The LBS is having trouble with Surly on the warranty, but keep pushing them so I'll have a second wheel set.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Has anyone put a suspension fork on their Lowside? what has your experience been? I picked up a SID 100mm with the correct a-c planning to build up another bike keeping in mind it would also work for the Lowside. I'm no longer going to be building up the other bike and I'm deciding whether to return the NIB fork or keep it to swap on and off of the Lowside.

mtbr member
    May 2020

Suspension Fork

I went ahead and installed a 100MM Rock Shox SID on the Lowside today. I was worried it would ruin what the Lowside is, fun, but my initial assessment is that it made it even more fun! The SID is definitely lighter than the rigid Lowside fork. At the same time I installed a set of Stan's Baron S1 wheels and they are about 2 lbs. lighter than the stock set up. With the unintended weight cutting from the wheel and fork the front just floats. The NeoHubs on the Stan's are night and day from the stock Novatech's, the engagement is immediate and the freehub sounds great. As noted in my previous post, the Novatech freehub locked up after less than 100 miles, Surly is sending out a full new wheel under warranty, so I'm going to set up gravel tires on the stock wheels. I also installed the new PNW Rainer that replaced the Bachelor with Loam Lever, so far I am happy with it, just works.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Lowside-img_0217.jpg  

Surly Lowside-img_0218.jpg  

Rider
    Jan 2019
    Bike looks great. I REALLY like mine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    I've been toying with adding a suspension fork to my Lowside, but found finding one that met the Surly recommendations difficult.

Seeing your set-up has motivated me to look a bit harder. Looks great.

*You did a good job pointing out how the fork and wheel switch changed the feel of the bike, but did it change anything you left out? Seems like the front is a bit raised now, but that's without the weight of a rider.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Mace9 View Post
    I've been toying with adding a suspension fork to my Lowside, but found finding one that met the Surly recommendations difficult.

Seeing your set-up has motivated me to look a bit harder. Looks great.

*You did a good job pointing out how the fork and wheel switch changed the feel of the bike, but did it change anything you left out? Seems like the front is a bit raised now, but that's without the weight of a rider.
    As far as forks go, this was the only fork I could find for the Lowside, and when I bought it, was 1 of 2 I could find online.

As for height, it looks raised, but with the sag set to 20%, the standover on the bike is identical at 30" to the rigid fork.

Dynamics wise, it sped the steering up substantially and the light front end added to this definitely forces changes to riding style that I am still getting comfortable with.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    I've been riding the Lowside for a month and a half now on South Carolina single track trails and it's been a lot of fun. Not so great on the rootier trails but there's plenty of smooth trails around here. Just wondering if anyone has found a front fender that fits, looks and works well? Because my shins are getting coated with dirt and sand. And for non-tubless; stock wheels and tires, what's the lowest tire pressure that can be used before I start to run a risk of getting pinch flats and wheel damage? I weigh 160 lbs. Been running the rear at 25psi and the front at 22psi but would like to go lower if I can get away with it.

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Spadehunter View Post
    I've been riding the Lowside for a month and a half now on South Carolina single track trails and it's been a lot of fun. Not so great on the rootier trails but there's plenty of smooth trails around here. Just wondering if anyone has found a front fender that fits, looks and works well? Because my shins are getting coated with dirt and sand. And for non-tubless; stock wheels and tires, what's the lowest tire pressure that can be used before I start to run a risk of getting pinch flats and wheel damage? I weigh 160 lbs. Been running the rear at 25psi and the front at 22psi but would like to go lower if I can get away with it.
    On my OG Krampus I run my stock Knards, on Rabbit Hole rims at 17psi normally on rocky, rooty, Midwestern single track, and around 8 on snow in the winter. My tires are now 5 years old and still going strong other than the center knobs starting to flatten out a bit.

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    As far as forks go, this was the only fork I could find for the Lowside, and when I bought it, was 1 of 2 I could find online.

As for height, it looks raised, but with the sag set to 20%, the standover on the bike is identical at 30" to the rigid fork.

Dynamics wise, it sped the steering up substantially and the light front end added to this definitely forces changes to riding style that I am still getting comfortable with.
    Howís it riding still with the suspension fork? Do you feel like it was a game changer for the better or just a small upgrade? Iíve been running rigid on some bumpy single track and works well in a lot of spots but the choppy stuff gets me pretty sore hands and neck/head. So Iím thinking about adding a suspension fork.

Iím overall hoping it will be an even more capable trail bike for more trail variety and will feel smoother and stay more connected to the trail for grip... what do you think? Is the recommended 100mm enough that itís made a difference?

Did it change any other geometry too much like bottom bracket height? Donít want it to go any lower than it already is.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    Hi all, finally my frame sized S has arrived last week, i noticed on the fork and triangle lower tube have not cap, so i guess water can easily run in. Is there any special treatment for this condition?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by kazno View Post
    Hi all, finally my frame sized S has arrived last week, i noticed on the fork and triangle lower tube have not cap, so i guess water can easily run in. Is there any special treatment for this condition?
    Treat the frame with Frame Saver. https://velo-orange.com/products/weigle-frame-saver

Snow Dog
    Treat the frame with Frame Saver. https://velo-orange.com/products/weigle-frame-saver
    I think Surly also already does that don't they? I know they used to. Mine came with that from the factory

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    hi, i have sprayed it inside the main frame (head tube, bb shell, main triangle). After spraying, it creates sticky surface to prevent water. But i think dust and dirt will stick as well for the open tube we discuss, now i am like fifty-fifty to spray the rest.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The frames are ED coated, no need to use Frame Saver on the inside tubes.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Speaking of corrosion... I've been afraid to ride my lowside through any water deep enough to get up onto the spoke nipples for fear it'll rust out the threads. So can water actually cause damage to these wheels?

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    The frames are ED coated, no need to use Frame Saver on the inside tubes.
    Hi, thanks..it helps!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Idea!

Ride your poor bike.

Speaking of corrosion... I've been afraid to ride my lowside through any water deep enough to get up onto the spoke nipples for fear it'll rust out the threads. So can water actually cause damage to these wheels?

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenngineer View Post
    Ride your poor bike.
    I will, but would be nice to know if the spoke nipples are sealed against water. Or... may be I'm just being too anal about the whole thing.

mtbr member
    I will, but would be nice to know if the spoke nipples are sealed against water. Or... may be I'm just being too anal about the whole thing.
    Yes, you are being too anal. Go ride your bike. It's starting to collect dust. LOL

mtbr member
    I've been deliberately taking my Karate Monkey on the route writhe a stream crossing just so I can wash the mud of the tires. I know nothing more than a little oil was put on the spoke nipples. I guess we'll cross that lack-of-a-bridge when we come to it. This bike's job is to ride through crap my other bikes might not handle. Nipples be damned.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamBike View Post
    Howís it riding still with the suspension fork? Do you feel like it was a game changer for the better or just a small upgrade? Iíve been running rigid on some bumpy single track and works well in a lot of spots but the choppy stuff gets me pretty sore hands and neck/head. So Iím thinking about adding a suspension fork.

Iím overall hoping it will be an even more capable trail bike for more trail variety and will feel smoother and stay more connected to the trail for grip... what do you think? Is the recommended 100mm enough that itís made a difference?

Did it change any other geometry too much like bottom bracket height? Donít want it to go any lower than it already is.

Thanks.
    Bumping this to see if any feedback. Anyone else put suspension on theirs yet? Trying to debate if 100mm is enough for rough single track with some small drops, jumps, and rock gardens... or if better to sell and get a bike that can take a longer travel (e.g. Karate Monkey).

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    hi guys,

thanks for thread! it helps me a lot to chose my Lowside. Found one frameset in grey, not had the time to ride it a lot but lot of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by MediocrityRules View Post
    I tried to put my 29"x2,25" with 22.5mm internal rim and it fits fine at the back with 3mm clearance when deep into the drops (ie minimum chainstay length), means more clearance when go back in the drops.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I'm still debating on if it's worth the added cost to get a suspension fork (I would like to because I've been doing some pretty rough trail riding and the chattery stuff and roots can be pretty jarring). Also, it looks like Surly geo specs state that the difference in reach and stack between the rigid and suspension is about 1" less reach for sus and 1" more stack for sus. That seems like it'd be a pretty noticeable change.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    By ''reach'' your referring to the length of the forks?

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    By ''reach'' your referring to the length of the forks?
    Actually referring to the length that you have to stretch your arms/hands out to. It becomes about 1" shorter (closer to your body) with a suspension fork.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I could drop the stem down a couple spacers and tilt the bar forward slightly to help compensate for the changes, but also don't want a big change in standover height (don't want it any taller), which that seems to increase by about 1" as well per the geo specs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Actually referring to the length that you have to stretch your arms/hands out to. It becomes about 1" shorter (closer to your body) with a suspension fork.
    Ok thanks for that. Looks I would definitely benefit from a suspension fork because when I ride, my arms are fully extended unless I lean forward a little bit. Sayin this because I read that your elbows should be slightly bent when seated comfortably. Plus a lot of the trails around here are pretty rough.

Stack = stand over height?

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Ok thanks for that. Looks I would definitely benefit from a suspension fork because when I ride, my arms are fully extended unless I lean forward a little bit. Sayin this because I read that your elbows should be slightly bent when seated comfortably. Plus a lot of the trails around here are pretty rough.

Stack = stand over height?
    Stack is different than standover. Surly's website has a "geo" section on the Lowside page that illustrates it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    What do you all think of the Sunrise bars? I've got the gray 26" which comes with a BMX stem stock and those bars, but it feels like I'm getting a lot of pressure on the outside of my palms when riding more aggressively. Wondering if it's the back sweep? I've got the angle about in line with the head tube/fork angle.

Thinking about swapping out the stem to an mtb one and getting the Deity Highside bars (80mm rise). Looks like it has less back sweep but similar rise.

mtbr member
    I've had the Sunrise on my Specialized Fat Boy and Surly ECR for 3 month. I have them set up so the cross bar is directly over the clamp. My only issue has been clipping trees with them due to the width. I've tried going back to the Jones bars twice*but I miss the climbing leverage and steering control I get with the Sunrise bars.*

mtbr member
    What do you all think of the Sunrise bars? I've got the gray 26" which comes with a BMX stem stock and those bars, but it feels like I'm getting a lot of pressure on the outside of my palms when riding more aggressively. Wondering if it's the back sweep? I've got the angle about in line with the head tube/fork angle.

Thinking about swapping out the stem to an mtb one and getting the Deity Highside bars (80mm rise). Looks like it has less back sweep but similar rise.
    Look for a bmx bar that is about the same height or rise, with a 10 degree back sweep and a one degree up sweep. The bars I have on my bike have this and are 29 in wide which to me is perfect.

The sunrise bars have too much of a back sweep and upsweep.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Mojoe View Post
    I've had the Sunrise on my Specialized Fat Boy and Surly ECR for 3 month. I have them set up so the cross bar is directly over the clamp. My only issue has been clipping trees with them due to the width. I've tried going back to the Jones bars twice*but I miss the climbing leverage and steering control I get with the Sunrise bars.*
    Quote Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
    Look for a bmx bar that is about the same height or rise, with a 10 degree back sweep and a one degree up sweep. The bars I have on my bike have this and are 29 in wide which to me is perfect.

The sunrise bars have too much of a back sweep and upsweep.
    I came to this bar from having ridden mostly with bars with more sweep. I was worried that they wouldn't have enough sweep. I wanted to try them on my Karate Monkey, though, because that was a feature that looked appealing on the Lowside. So far, I love them. I did, like Mojoe, find them to be very wide, but I cut them down. I took about 80mm off, and it was a huge improvement. I guess if you're used to a more straight bar, they might have too much sweep. For me, I find that they work great for 15 miles or so, then I start wishing I had something with a little more sweep. But this isn't the bike I built for long days in the saddle, so I doubt I'll be changing them out anytime soon.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I've been considering cutting down the bars an inch or so off each side. I like the width in some instances, but feel too spread out overall. I'm not doing long rides as much as I'm doing medium sized dirt jumps, pump tracks and single track. The pressure/pain on the outside of palms comes more when riding aggressively, rather than just sitting and pedaling. Not for sure if it's fully a back sweep thing or not. Trying to tweak bar angle and stem position a bit to see if it helps. Also got some Deity Supracush grips which have helped from the stock ones some.

mtbr member
    I just switched to some ESI Super Chunky grips to give me some more cushion.

Rider
    Jan 2019
    I cut mine down to 29 inches.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Love my Sunrise bars. Have them on my Wednesday and Krampus.

I cut mine down to 780mm and theyíre perfect. Stick width was just way too wide. I also run ESI grips.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Been apprehensive to cut them (in case I decide to sell), but was thinking 780mm. Pulled my hands in to test, and seems it may be good.

I like the Supracush grips. Haven't tried the ESI ones. Anyone tried both for comparison?

I want to keep the bike in a lot of ways, just trying to make the handling a little less harsh when riding aggressively (jumps, trails, etc.)... so have considered suspension fork, grips/bar changes, and even the Tannus Armour inserts. (Want to keep cost down too.)

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    @ jbe89, where on earth did you find that fork? They don't seem to be available online - at least not right now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    Switching to ETs has made this a much more enjoyable pavement/asphalt ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Lowside-lowside-front-view.jpg  

Surly Lowside-lowside-full.jpg  

Last edited by Mace9; 08-15-2020 at 07:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    @ jbe89, where on earth did you find that fork? They don't seem to be available online - at least not right now.
    Nevermind I found one. I don't know about what hardware (if any) is needed to install. I ordered a Rockshox SID RLC. Do I need to buy anything else for installation?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Anyone have advice on somehow adapting this fork (boost 110 right?) to an old school 100 QR? Like the adapter washers on the fork?

I'd like to get this frameset, build it up with my 26" QR wheelset and commute on it. If I have to build a new front wheel, I'm gonna pass.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    If anyone has a Lowside fork they want to sell after converting to suspension, let me know, send me a PM.
    Work - Utility GIS Analyst
    Party - 2019 Guerrilla Gravity Revved Trail Pistol Sz 3

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ru-tang View Post
    Anyone have advice on somehow adapting this fork (boost 110 right?) to an old school 100 QR? Like the adapter washers on the fork?

I'd like to get this frameset, build it up with my 26" QR wheelset and commute on it. If I have to build a new front wheel, I'm gonna pass.
    What hubs do you have? Some companies offer boost kits that include some axle spacers and disc spacers. Wolftooth Boostinator is the first that comes to mind, but it's only for certain hubs.

Sent from my HD1900 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pade View Post
    What hubs do you have? Some companies offer boost kits that include some axle spacers and disc spacers. Wolftooth Boostinator is the first that comes to mind, but it's only for certain hubs.

Sent from my HD1900 using Tapatalk
    I haven't even bothered looking at that. They are old LX hubs I believe. I haven't checked, but I think they are cup and cone. I don't think there are adapters for things that old, but maybe y'all know something I don't!

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Any updates on how those who have added suspension are still liking it? Been considering it still. Concerned about the geo changes somewhat. With the Large frame, it feels like it's gonna get pretty tall on standover and tight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Has anyone done any BMX racing on a Lowside?

My son got the BMX bug when we went to beginners day at the track. I rode with him on my full-suspension 29er. It was a lot of fun, and my bike actually pumped pretty well. If he gets into the sport, I may take it up with him, but I just don't feel comfortable on a 20 inch bike. I was thinking of training in the cruiser class, which is usually 24 inch bikes. I was thinking that I could train on the Lowside and have its main purpose be a track bike. I would think that I would also use it for cruising around the neighborhood and as a back up mountain bike. It seems like the perfect bike for showing a newbie the trails. I could let them borrow my full suspension, while i ride fully rigid single speed.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I haven't done any racing, but having a freestyle BMX background, I have done some medium-sized dirt jumps and pump tracks with it since I got it this July. It is a versatile bike that can handle lots of different situations. It's not a dedicated dirt jumper or trail bike, but it can do all of that to some degree and is easy to just hop on and cruise with low maintenance. On the jumps and track I'm able to pop it off the lips and get it tucked. It's nimble and playful overall and manuals well too. It's not the fastest bike due to the stock lower gearing and wider/aggressive tires (great traction), but that can be tweaked some with changing cog size or tire pressure.

I've really liked the Lowside, but I'm actually looking to sell mine. Trying to have just one bike total and am leaning more towards a trail bike with a longer travel suspension fork as stock.

It's a 2020 26" wheel-size Large in excellent condition. Here's the ad if anyone is interested:

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2864784/

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I went ahead and installed a 100MM Rock Shox SID on the Lowside today. I was worried it would ruin what the Lowside is, fun, but my initial assessment is that it made it even more fun! The SID is definitely lighter than the rigid Lowside fork. At the same time I installed a set of Stan's Baron S1 wheels and they are about 2 lbs. lighter than the stock set up. With the unintended weight cutting from the wheel and fork the front just floats. The NeoHubs on the Stan's are night and day from the stock Novatech's, the engagement is immediate and the freehub sounds great. As noted in my previous post, the Novatech freehub locked up after less than 100 miles, Surly is sending out a full new wheel under warranty, so I'm going to set up gravel tires on the stock wheels. I also installed the new PNW Rainer that replaced the Bachelor with Loam Lever, so far I am happy with it, just works.
    Also thinking suspension fork. Which version of the SID did you get? Did you need any adapters?

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    I just put an RLC SID on mine and all I needed was a 52/40mm crown race and a 5mm spacer. I wouldn't have needed the spacer though if I would have cut some of the steer tube off. Now just waiting for the air pump to come in the mail so I can try this thing out.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    How much does a 26Ē Lowside weigh?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12