Surly Lowside - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Surly Lowside

mtbr member

Surly Lowside

The Lowside is back in stock. Ordered mine on Monday, got it yesterday, finished building it this morning. Mostly stock. I put a chromag sequence ring on because I had it laying around. Changed out the headset spacers to carbon because itís a Surly and needs carbon headset spacers .

Gonna finish the fall out like this. Next spring Iíll likely add a dropper and upgrade the brakes.

Edit: Forgot I swapped the post for a Thompson since I had one in 30.9 laying around as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: I fix bikes for a living.

mtbr member

Surly Lowside

I couldnít wait. I swapped the brakes to Avid BB7s with 180 rotors just in time to send it at the local bike park. I took the Lowside with because itís the perfect compliment to my Pickle Rick costume. Did one run wearing Pickle Rick (sketchy as hell) but had so much fun on the bike that I spent half the day doing laps on the Lowside while my DH bike sat on the car rack. Ended up putting a dropper on after the downhill day. This bike is one of the most fun bikes Iíve ridden in a long time. I loved my original 1x1 but this bike is far superior in every way.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    These are the pictures I didn't need to see, especially after buying an ICT yesterday.

What size is yours? Large? Looks awesome, and I'm always looking for a big BMX bike for cruising the neighborhood and hitting the skatepark with my 4 year old, and having a clunky good time on the trails.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Anyone got one built up 26+?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Surly Lowside-lowside1.jpg

Just got her Monday. Not super impressed with the stock build, but I'll assume if you are buying this bike you have some sweet stuff layin' around. I didn't like the fact the Sunrise bars are 22.8 mm clamp and it came with a 31.8 stem with adaptors. I guess I can understand.

I swapped out the stock brakes for a set of BB7s with new 180mm TRP rotors. Still getting the brakes set up, I had issues setting up TRP calipers with Hope rotors, so I assume I just need to do some clever shim work. A 66sick saddle and a set of Echo trials pedals. ODI ruffian grips.

I'm planning on building it with a lot of purple ano. Hope cranks, hubs, seatpost clamp, and 180mm rotors. Paul Components' limited color this year is purple, so maybe some Love Levers. TRP Spyke calipers. I'm still a fan of mechanical discs, and I've run Spykes on my 1x1 for a couple years. Great when set up properly. I may go to 26x2.8 Maxxis DHF and DHR skinwalls. Cause skinwalls are sweet, and I feel these stock tires must be disgustingly heavy. Maybe find a slightly longer rigid fork to slack out the front a degree or two. I think Surly said it can take a 100mm travel, 470mm a-c or so sus fork. I figure with the slightly smaller tires and slightly longer fork, it will have decent bottom bracket clearance and decently slack geo (for my tastes).

Other than that... the bike? Its fun. Way fun. What else do you need to know? I got it together late Monday night, slapped on some lights, and went for little ripper to show it off at the bar. Even my non bike-head friends thought it was sweet. 'Cause it is. Today I got some miles in, no trails yet, gotta get those brakes in shape, but yeah, all the curbs. Some little off road paths. Took me a little bit to get comfy on a new bike, but by then end of the day my wheelies were coming along.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenngineer View Post
    These are the pictures I didn't need to see, especially after buying an ICT yesterday.

What size is yours? Large? Looks awesome, and I'm always looking for a big BMX bike for cruising the neighborhood and hitting the skatepark with my 4 year old, and having a clunky good time on the trails.
    Itís a large. Iím 6í1Ē and love the fit. One of the main reasons I bought it was hitting the trails with my 7 year old. My trail bikes are no fun at his speed, but putzing along on the Lowside is a blast.

I swapped the stock crank for an XO I had laying around for no other reason than it wasnít being used, and is better than the stock crank. Also ordered a bmx stem with a 22.2 clamp to get rid of the spacers. Iíll post updated pics when the stem is on.

Iím also digging the bars enough that I ordered a pair for my Trek Sawyer.

mtbr member
    I think Iím done making changes to the Lowside. Here is the list of changes from the stock complete build:
    - Salt bmx stem
    - Avid BB7s with 180mm rotors
    - KS dropper post
    - Cromag saddle
    - XO DH crank with Cromag sequence direct mount chainring.

Freakin love this bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwnhlldav View Post
    I think Iím done making changes to the Lowside. Here is the list of changes from the stock complete build:
    - Salt bmx stem
    - Avid BB7s with 180mm rotors
    - KS dropper post
    - Cromag saddle
    - XO DH crank with Cromag sequence direct mount chainring.

Freakin love this bike.

Killer build. Really digging the look on that bad boy. Could you please tell me the saddle height (from the center of the bb position) when the dropper is up? And is that a 150mm dropper?

Cheers!

mtbr member

Surly Lowside

Quote Originally Posted by zoro View Post
    Killer build. Really digging the look on that bad boy. Could you please tell me the saddle height (from the center of the bb position) when the dropper is up? And is that a 150mm dropper?

Cheers!
    Thanks!

Itís a 125mm dropper. Saddle height is 30Ē.

mtbr member
    Finally got some time out on the trails and was able to compare it to my normal trail rig (NS Eccentric). The bottom bracket is low. Had some pedal strikes but Iíd say they were mostly due to sloppy riding (havenít really ridden single speed on trails in several years) and not having the right gear ratio for my preferred cadence and the terrain I was riding. The 32x16 is a little high for my out of shape legs. I have several surly cogs up to a 20t so Iíll play around and see if that and more time in the saddle makes a difference to the amount of pedal strikes. Though, it looks like snow is finally arriving so trail ride season might be done till spring.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    And you see where that's got him
    Sadly heís asking for loans and advanced orders to pay his bills. He has some great ideas but heís an idea man not a business man.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Is this a mash-up of the 1x1 and Instagator?
    I have both and love both,but, can this Lowside interloper take the place of both?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Iíd like to know how this frame only has a 2 rating.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by racefit View Post
    Iíd like to know how this frame only has a 2 rating.

I emailed Surly about this recently and got a reply saying it's rated condition 3, along with a link to the frame information sheet. I thought I'd been mistaken but wasn't sure, so I went to google and searched a bit. I eventually found that a link to what must have been a previous version of the frame information sheet rating the frame for condition 2 riding, but when I clicked the link it "404'd".

They must have made a mistake. The current frame info sheet shows condition 3.

Edit to add: Not that it matters, but here's the URL to the google cached version of the framesheet pdf with the condition 2 rating:

https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...=firefox-b-1-d

mtbr member
    Looking for a little help understanding how the Lowside's rear dropouts work/don't work with a 141 QR rear hub. I know it will fit. But...

Will I have to use/get axle spacers...like the ones you need if you want to run a 135mm QR? It would be cool to just slide the wheel in and clamp the QR down and then ride away.

Thank you!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I was under the impression you just squeeze/flex the dropouts with the qr when installing your wheel. Similar to how surly had the crosscheck spaced at 132.5, so you could squeeze it closed on a 130mm road hub, or stretch it a bit to slide in a 135mm hub.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    You'll need the adaptor washers, not for the width, but so the hub axle has a solid connection to the frame - you're axle stub is 10mm, the dropout slot is 12, the washers take up the difference.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies...still confused tho. I get that the the spacers will hold the QR axle in place. Kinda like the old QR adapters on the gen 1 tuggnuts. But don't the gnot boost spacers "fill in" the "relief" in the drop out? Meaning that those spacers make the spacing for 135, and not 141/boost.

Thanks for your patience!

Mebbe these would work?
    https://surlybikes.com/parts/10_12_adapter_washers

mtbr member
    Surly explains it all here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkhc0D-yB_8
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

mtbr member
    Thanks to all. I think I need those spacers, and I will be set.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Any of you tried to fit 3" tires on 27,5" rims to Lowside. Surly says it will take 2.8" tires on 27,5 but will it take by any chance some good old 3" on that wheel size?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Pics of her first trip to the trail. I was super lazy and a big sissy last year when it came to riding, so it took me since I got the bike in November to hit the dirt.

I know everybody seems to be a huge fan if this bike, and I love my old 1x1, but I just don't get it. I'm working on building it how I want it, but you know, that's an expensive process. Just... Surly's whole beer bike with 26+ trail tires and bmx bars? Yeah Surly, we get it, you're weird. But the stock build didn't seem to do anything well for me. It wasn't fun to pedal around town. Too many pedal strikes on my east coast trails. I dislike using spacers to attach my bars to the stem. I felt like I needed to overtorque the crap outta them. And holy wide. And soooo heavy. 33 TPI Dirt Wizards? I bet these effers weigh like 1300 grams a pop. OEM only. But I bought the complete so I could at least ride something, cause who has extra boost 26+ wheels laying around? And I'm sure you'll all trash me cause if you don't get it, it isn't for you. But I'm exactly the kind of butthole this bike is marketed for. But I just think it sucks.

I have a new 480mm A-C fork on the way to slack out the front and raise the BB, and I may potentially switch to 2.8 Maxxis Minion tires after this. Probably going with a Deity and/or Cromag cockpit. I did just slap on a set of limited purple Paul Klampers. So it's coming along! May join this decade and... GASP... pick up a dropper post.

Flame away for trashing your beloved Lowside and Surly.

Surly Lowside-0331191436.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I definitely concur the stock build is the suck. No BMX stem, seriously?

I'm single speeding my ICT for the warm weather, with the Sunrise bars... So my take on the beer bike is even stupider.

Pretty excited, though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeStroganoff View Post
    It wasn't fun to pedal around town. Too many pedal strikes on my east coast trails. I dislike using spacers to attach my bars to the stem. I felt like I needed to overtorque the crap outta them. And holy wide. And soooo heavy. 33 TPI Dirt Wizards? I bet these effers weigh like 1300 grams a pop. OEM only. But I bought the complete so I could at least ride something, cause who has extra boost 26+ wheels laying around? And I'm sure you'll all trash me cause if you don't get it, it isn't for you. But I'm exactly the kind of butthole this bike is marketed for. But I just think it sucks.
    no fun riding around town?? i ride mine down every flight of stairs i see... hop curbs. wheelie across overpasses. bike path covered in snow? no problem. how are you trying to ride this?

i don't think it's particularly heavy, and don't forget its rated level 3; it's a tank.
    i think its exactly what surly is marketing: a bomb proof / idiot proof spare parts type frame (gears? no gears? dropper post? suspension fork? 26 wheels or 27.5 wheels) that works perfectly as an urban ATV

that said, they were out of completes in my size when i bought mine, so i ended up building from frame up. i love surly, but sometimes their build kits for completes are kinda meh. such as the stem choice. and the bars can (and maybe should?) be chopped smaller. maybe for your style you would have preferred 27.5 x 2.8s?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I go back and forth with my feeling on this bike like every other ride. Yesterday I got entirely pissed with pedal strikes and it's trail mannerisms, again, then bailed on that idea after a couple miles. Afterward I went to rip around town, and had a blast, until the bolts came loose in the cheapo stem and the bars tweaked when I came down off a curb. I think that's just cheap parts, and I think some Loctite may fix that.

I think a lot of my issues with thrashing around town came from me being out of riding shape last year when I bought it, and getting used to the frame and the handling have helped. Oh, and quitting drinking, cigs, and a whole winter of weight training helped. Man, what a shitty singlespeeder I am these days. I just kinda find everything a weird mix and blend of parts that doesn't work for me. The trail problem... well... that's just gonna have to wait for a new fork and cockpit. I just had to piss and moan a bit in frustration.

mtbr member
    My man, we've all been there. If you buy a bike with your heart instead of your head, sometimes you end up heartbroken. I'd get a simple 22.2 bmx stem, tilt the bars just a hair forward of the ht angle, drop the saddle to a fist's worth of seat post showing, and give the bike one more shot.

Roll some stair sets. Jump some curbs. Find a nice smooth bank and spend a half-hour messing around on it. Ride to a trail if you can, and once you're there grind up some climbs and lean into some turns. Sit when you get tired, and walk when you have to. Do your utmost best to have a blast on the bike.

And if that still doesn't work, just move on. We've all been there. Just lemme know. I haven't had my heart broken for awhile.
    All mountain bikes are all-mountain bikes.

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    ^^^^^ What he said!

mtbr member
    New color and complete spec for the Lowside.

https://surlybikes.com/bikes/lowside
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly Lowside

mtbr member
    Dammit. I heard a new color was coming, and I hoped it wouldn't come out until my bank account had recovered from the last ill-advised purchase. ;-)

Still really want rack mounts. Might have to get a Karate Monkey and pretend it's a Lowside.

mtbr member
    This is such a cool bike, wish I could justify having it but I'd hardly use it.

The photo shows 27.5+ Rekons but the spec still lists 26x3 DW

mtbr member
    This is such a cool bike, wish I could justify having it but I'd hardly use it.

The photo shows 27.5+ Rekons but the spec still lists 26x3 DW
    The build kit section now has two tabs: one for the green frame and one for black. You will find the 27.5 wheels under the green tab.

And, yeah. I could actually see using this a fair amount, leaving my Troll in it's bus-friendly, commuter tire mode, and leaving the plus tires on the Lowside for days when I knew I'd be skipping the bus entirely. But I still need a quick and easy way to throw my commuter gear on the bike, plus, the Karate Monkey seems like it might be more versatile overall. I'd say it's a tough decision, but I guess since I don't have the money yet, I don't have to decide.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_E View Post
    The build kit section now has two tabs: one for the green frame and one for black. You will find the 27.5 wheels under the green tab.
    Thank you for pointing that out. Now that you have, I found the same on the KM page.

mtbr member
    Like the new color. And 27.5 is okay I suppose. But $150 price increase doesnít seem at all justified, could just be me though.

mtbr member
    Ahh. Had to go to universal cycles to see that it comes with maxxis tires and scraper rims now. Still seems like more of a price bump than what was ďupgradedĒ.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017

And, yeah. I could actually see using this a fair amount, leaving my Troll in it's bus-friendly, commuter tire mode, and leaving the plus tires on the Lowside for days when I knew I'd be skipping the bus entirely. But I still need a quick and easy way to throw my commuter gear on the bike, plus, the Karate Monkey seems like it might be more versatile overall. I'd say it's a tough decision, but I guess since I don't have the money yet, I don't have to decide.
    For what it's worth the Monkey definitely feels like a big bmx bike on 27.5" x 3" for me, but would obviously be more trail-capable if you wanted. If I already had a Troll though it makes the decision a little tougher, but I don't think you would ride the monkey and think that it isn't playful enough for doing hoodrat lowside stuff like skiddies and jibs and 180's and whatnot.

That being said I have a monkey that I adore and yet here I am, ogling the Lowside...
    Santa Cruz Megatower
    Surly Karate Monkey

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by troodontinae View Post
    For what it's worth the Monkey definitely feels like a big bmx bike on 27.5" x 3" for me, but would obviously be more trail-capable if you wanted.
    That's where my head's at. My Troll only tackles pretty mild off-road stuff as is, and putting a suspension fork on it is no longer an option. But the small amount of off-roading I've done has shown me the appeal of having something that can I can ride on rougher stuff, whether it's trails or just goofing around in the city. The Lowside seems like it has a lot more overlap with the Troll. That's somewhat appealing, because I can share some tires and get rolling more quickly, but it also means that I can expand my terrain options more with the Monkey.

Quote Originally Posted by troodontinae View Post
    That being said I have a monkey that I adore and yet here I am, ogling the Lowside...
    And that's how it goes with so many Surly bikes. ;-) In addition to my Troll, I'd love to have a Lowside/Karate Monkey, a Straggler, and a Big Fat Dummy. Oh, and a place to store them all, as long as I'm wishing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RFrahm View Post
    Like the new color. And 27.5 is okay I suppose. But $150 price increase doesnít seem at all justified, could just be me though.
    Well, it does have a 17t and not a 16t cog.

mtbr member
    Well, it does have a 17t and not a 16t cog.
    I missed that. Totally worth it then!

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    trade war

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Loving the color, and I love my 1x1, but now that its 27.5+ why would I buy this instead of a KM? Iím not sure a 50 mm shorter fork, a slightly steeper head angle and less capacity for racks etc., is worth having the lowside. I would rather see a complete single speed KM or Krampus.
    Stache 7 --- Rigid Surly 1x1 B+ --- Dirt Drop CrossCheck

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frs1661 View Post
    Loving the color, and I love my 1x1, but now that its 27.5+ why would I buy this instead of a KM? Iím not sure a 50 mm shorter fork, a slightly steeper head angle and less capacity for racks etc., is worth having the lowside. I would rather see a complete single speed KM or Krampus.
    Agreed. I wanted the purple monkey ss but I couldnít get the funds in time before they sold out. They couldnít keep them in stock! I havenít ridden the lowside and still really want to. I just canít see the price vs a monkey or krampus for a mess around bike. Should get it out of my mind and just build a second wheelset for my Wednesday... For some reason I still keep thinking about the lowside.

mtbr member
    Studying the differences...

Lowside is not suspension corrected, Monkey is. Lowside has steeper angles front and rear. Lowside has the same ETT but the steeper angles make the reach longer. So even though the Lowside has a shorter fork it nevertheless has less stack and it will work better with that cool looking riser bar and BMX stem.

Lowside has fewer braze-ons and costs $75 less for the frame.

mtbr member
    Studying the differences...

Lowside is not suspension corrected, Monkey is. ...
    Lowside is suspension corrected for 100mm. KM for 140mm, I think.

mtbr member
    Lowside is suspension corrected for 100mm. KM for 140mm, I think.
    They say you can use a 100mmx26" suspension fork, but obvs it will lift up the nose. But when you look at Lowside or the Troll you can definitely see the long head tube is taking up vertical space that on the Monkey is there for a suspension fork.

Lowside
    Tire Clearance Fork [1] 26 x 3.0" 27.5 x 2.8"
    Rigid Fork Spec 420 x 47mm
    Max Suspension Fork Length [4] 490 x 47mm (26 100mm)

Monkey
    Tire Clearance Fork [1] 29 x 3.0Ē
    Rigid Fork Spec 483 x 47mm
    Max Suspension Fork Length [4] 551 x 51mm (27.5+ 140mm)

mtbr member
    They say you can use a 100mmx26" suspension fork, but obvs it will lift up the nose. But when you look at Lowside or the Troll you can definitely see the long head tube is taking up vertical space that on the Monkey is there for a suspension fork.
    Right, because the Lowside is suspension corrected for a shorter travel fork. The original Troll was also suspension corrected for a 100mm travel fork. Current Troll models are not suspension corrected. But the Lowside is.

I'm just pointing out that when you say the Lowside is not suspension corrected, that's not strictly true. It's just corrected for a shorter travel fork than the Karate Monkey. It's a difference worth taking into consideration, but it's not the same as saying the Lowside is not suspension corrected at all. They even provide a separate set of geometry numbers for when you're using a a suspension fork, same as they do with the Karate Monkey.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Surly Lowside-surly-lowside-condition-2-490-max-fork.jpg
    Surly Lowside-surly-lowside-condition-2-490-max-fork-pg-2.jpg

Surly Lowside-surly-lowside-condition-3-508-max-fork-pg-1.jpg
    Surly Lowside-surly-lowside-condition-3-508-max-fork-pg-2.jpg

508 max a2c vs 490 max a2c
    condition 3 vs condition 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by rusheleven View Post

508 max a2c vs 490 max a2c
    condition 3 vs condition 2
    i am not really sure what this is showing/suggesting... elaborate?

mtbr member
    Looks like two different conditions mentioned for the same frameset. I wasn't able to locate a second frameset sheet on the website though, only the condition 2 one. The fork, however, states it's a condition 3 fork. Odd.
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly Lowside

mtbr member
    I am intrigued by the Lowside and wanted to run something by the Surly community here. I currently have a Pugsley and an ECR, both of which I adore. However, if I'm being 100% honest, I find a ton over overlap in the two bikes. There really isn't anything I do on the ECR that I couldn't do on the Pugsley, especially if I had a 29+ wheelset for the Pugs. With both the fat wheelset and a 29+ set, I'd pretty much have the ECR covered, in full.

This leads me to my question. I rode 26" bikes for years and find that I miss the smaller size wheels. As such, i'm really considering a Lowside as an ECR replacement. I love the idea of a big BMX bike for the city and a few trails, so the Lowside is super intriguing, but so is a 27.5 KM. Which would you guys steer me towards and why?
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly Lowside

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by typingofthedead View Post
    i am not really sure what this is showing/suggesting... elaborate?
    There are two different frame sheets for this bike. I bought mine when it was labeled as a condition 3 with 508 max fork length. Then they reduced it to condition 2 (same as a Crosscheck or Steamroller (6" max drop)) and said max fork length of 490mm (which reduces the number of forks available greatly).

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Condition 2 for this thing would be dissapointing.

mtbr member
    From the Lowside product page, in the Q&A section:

Q: In the Lowside product video we see the rider demonstrating aggressive riding and jumps exceeding 6". Does the rider void the warranty that claims this bicycle is intended for condition 2 riding? It seems strange that this bike is given the same rating as a Cross Check or a Steamroller considering the claimed usage.

A: That is a pesky misprint, the Lowside is a condition 3. We are working on updating the literature!
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly Lowside

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by cassa89 View Post
    From the Lowside product page, in the Q&A section:

Q: In the Lowside product video we see the rider demonstrating aggressive riding and jumps exceeding 6". Does the rider void the warranty that claims this bicycle is intended for condition 2 riding? It seems strange that this bike is given the same rating as a Cross Check or a Steamroller considering the claimed usage.

A: That is a pesky misprint, the Lowside is a condition 3. We are working on updating the literature!
    I'm not sure "pesky" is the word I'd use. Interestingly, the Ice Cream Truck frame sheet says "condition 4", while the Karate Monkey, Krampus, and Wednesday are all "condition 3". What's different about the ICT, or is that another "pesky" misprint?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Iíd love to build one of these for around town and cruising the local BMX track. But the low rating gives me pause.

Would really like to know what it can handle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    No joke. The spec sheet and what the reps are saying don't match up and all the inconsistency is killing my buzz.

That 'pesky' misprint has been going on by saying max fork length is 508 or saying that the condition 2 rating is correct since this bike was released. 2 years. They are on the second color way and build and still haven't fixed it. BOOOO.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Dammit. I heard a new color was coming, and I hoped it wouldn't come out until my bank account had recovered from the last ill-advised purchase. ;-)
    Every purchase I make is ill advised.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Anyone slapped a suspension fork on a Lowside? I'm seriously considering a front squish build and would love to hear how they ride.
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly Lowside

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Nah, I bought a fork for mine (reba 29er at 507 a2c) and which was legal for the frame with the original frame sheet. Then I sold it because they changed the spec sheet.

There are no burly forks that fit this bike. In the 490 a2c range that is the max for the bike you are stuck with 32mm stanchions and with the 110 axle and the 3" minimum 26" tire rating there is nothing that works with my stock wheels.

If you go 27.5x2.8 then there are a few options to fit tires, but you have to buy wheels, and your still stuck at 32mm stanchions.

This bike had potential and the fork rating basically kills it. I guess I'm still a bit bitter about it. . .

Bike rides great as an around town bruiser. (Did I mention how slow the dirt wizards are on pavement? My Nates seem faster.)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rusheleven View Post
    Nah, I bought a fork for mine (reba 29er at 507 a2c) and which was legal for the frame with the original frame sheet. Then I sold it because they changed the spec sheet.

There are no burly forks that fit this bike. In the 490 a2c range that is the max for the bike you are stuck with 32mm stanchions and with the 110 axle and the 3" minimum 26" tire rating there is nothing that works with my stock wheels.

If you go 27.5x2.8 then there are a few options to fit tires, but you have to buy wheels, and your still stuck at 32mm stanchions.

This bike had potential and the fork rating basically kills it. I guess I'm still a bit bitter about it. . .

Bike rides great as an around town bruiser. (Did I mention how slow the dirt wizards are on pavement? My Nates seem faster.)
    Fantastic feedback. Exactly what I needed to hear. Looks like I'm turning towards a KM or Wednesday squish build!
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly Lowside

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    ^ Good call. I love my Wednesday. and would trade my Lowside for a KM in a heartbeat.

mtbr member
    I couldn't resist and placed an order for a Lowside yesterday. It should be built up by Friday. No suspension fork on the initial build, but I'm planning to order one in the near future. Perhaps this, too, will be an ill advised purchase. Only time will tell. But I'll have as much fun as possible while I find out!
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly Lowside

BBB STYLEE
    Cassa89, let us know what fork you go with. I'm interested in this myself, but feel the options are limited momentarily.
    Im referred to as a BBBM. Big Beautiful Beard Man.

mtbr member
    They're limited. As far as I can tell, unless you want to use tires in the 2.2 or 2.3 range, the only line that meets the 100mm travel, boost spacing, and 490 or less a-to-c criteria are the RockShox SID line.
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly Lowside

mtbr member
    New bike day! Went with a 1x9 set up with a suspension fork yet to come. Really interesting bike! I wasn't expecting how much of a "single track gone BMX" this bike really is. Crazy fun!

Surly Lowside-img_2448.jpg
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly Lowside

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    New bike day! Went with a 1x9 set up with a suspension fork yet to come. Really interesting bike! I wasn't expecting how much of a "single track gone BMX" this bike really is. Crazy fun!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2448.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	471.7 KB 
ID:	1280987
    26Ē or 27.5Ē?

mtbr member
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly Lowside

Ride On

Weight? Ride Quality?

Anyone weigh their frameset prior to building? If not how would you describe the frame from a ride quality perspective? Dead or springy? I have a OG Moonlit Swamp medium Krampus that has an excellent ride quality, I've read and heard that the new Krampus and KM are not the same springy ride anymore and I'd hate to plunk down for a Lowside if it were the same.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldooka View Post
    Anyone weigh their frameset prior to building? If not how would you describe the frame from a ride quality perspective? Dead or springy? I have a OG Moonlit Swamp medium Krampus that has an excellent ride quality, I've read and heard that the new Krampus and KM are not the same springy ride anymore and I'd hate to plunk down for a Lowside if it were the same.

Cheers!
    I'm interested in how this gets answered. I rode a Lowside at a demo day and thought it felt great[27.5]. I have a 1x1 that I really like and it felt similar I thought, to some degree. Obviously with the wide bars and short stem the ergonomics are different.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldooka View Post

Cheers!
    I didn't weigh it, sorry. As for the dead or springy question, I'm not an expert (not even close), so I'll defer to anyone more informed than I. However, I'd say it feels closer to the OG Krampus I had than it does the ECR I had, if that helps. While I'm waiting to add a suspension fork, the rigid fork set up feels good on the basic trails I've had it on. It's more "lively" a bike than I anticipated. I've not owned an Instigator, but someone said they felt it was a marriage between a 1x1 and the Instigator 2.0.
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly Lowside

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    ^ I've owned several 1x1's and an Instigator 2.0 and I agree with that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Here is my current setup on the Lowside, and a pic with my trusty old 2nd gen 1x1.

I tried the Paul Klampers, and promptly went back to TRP Spykes with Hope floating rotors. Expensive mistake. Other than that, Raceface Atlas cranks, Blackspire purple chainring, Deity pedals. Those pedals won't last with my riding, but they look good! I put a 20 tooth cog on the back, I can ride 32x16 on he trail, but holy crap my knees tell me I'm in my late 30s the next day!

This winter will hopefully see a new wheelset on I9 hubs, and a 9point8 dropper.

Surly Lowside-surly-lowside-01.jpgSurly Lowside-surlys01.jpgSurly Lowside-surlys02.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice! How do you like those bars on the lowside?
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly Lowside

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    The BMX stem I had on before was a toploader, and with the Sunrise bars it was just too much. These bars and stem cut off over a pound from the front of the bike, so I'm happy. Again, maybe it was the rise, or the weight, or maybe I just didn't want to like them, but those Sunrise bars didn't do it on the Lowside for me. I'll for sure be using them on another build at some point though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    If you're actually riding technical trails, they're pretty tall bars. I run mine on my ICT with a slammed front loader to get them down a bit, they're great for fat bike bushwhacking in the snow and goofing off, but definitely not an aggressive riding bar.

My biggest complaint... they're stiff as hell. After a couple decently spirited rides, my hands are bruised.
    Last edited by Glenngineer; 10-19-2019 at 07:50 AM.

mtbr member
    I've not ridden my lowside on many trails yet, but I'm already not a huge fan of the sunrise bars. As you guys stated, they're so damn high. I'm using a top load BMX style stem, so maybe I'll try a front load stem before I move away from the bars completely. I'll have to find shims first, which isn't ideal either.
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly Lowside

mtbr member
    So how does the Lowside compare with the 1x1?

Here is my current setup on the Lowside, and a pic with my trusty old 2nd gen 1x1.

I tried the Paul Klampers, and promptly went back to TRP Spykes with Hope floating rotors. Expensive mistake. Other than that, Raceface Atlas cranks, Blackspire purple chainring, Deity pedals. Those pedals won't last with my riding, but they look good! I put a 20 tooth cog on the back, I can ride 32x16 on he trail, but holy crap my knees tell me I'm in my late 30s the next day!

This winter will hopefully see a new wheelset on I9 hubs, and a 9point8 dropper.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Surly Lowside 01.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	517.5 KB 
ID:	1287353Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Surlys01.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	443.0 KB 
ID:	1287355Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Surlys02.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	562.5 KB 
ID:	1287357
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

mtbr member
    Picked up a Surly LowSide today from Rays bike shop in Bay City, MI.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Lowside-img_0700-1.jpg  

Last edited by whitecoyote; 1 Week Ago at 09:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    So how does the Lowside compare with the 1x1?
    Cool side-by-side Jake, but how do they ride?!
    Stache 7 --- Rigid Surly 1x1 B+ --- Dirt Drop CrossCheck

mtbr member
    How is the ride different between those bikes?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Sorry for the delayed response. I've been riding the Lowside for the last few months, and I'm very happy with the bike at this point. Higher engagement hubs and new hoops are on the agenda this winter.

I'm no bike reviewer, so I dunno what to say here. I'm no gear junkie, nor do I need a new bike every year. I rode the old 1x1 for the past 7 years or so, and I loved that thing. Since sorting out my build on the Lowside, it's been my go to.

As for the ride. I find the beefier frame and tires have increased my confidence in going hard. I have been getting after the jumps and drops a lot more recently. It can sometimes be a little rough pushing the stock wheels and tires up a hill, but hopefully new hoops, hubs,and meat will help with that. Pointing it down a hill, the rotating mass just keeps it going. Like I said, it's my go to at this point And that is saying something.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I've not ridden my lowside on many trails yet, but I'm already not a huge fan of the sunrise bars. As you guys stated, they're so damn high. I'm using a top load BMX style stem, so maybe I'll try a front load stem before I move away from the bars completely. I'll have to find shims first, which isn't ideal either.
    Can you flip the stem? Some BMX top load stems can be run either way.
    Ragley Big Wig, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), Nashbar CXSS (workout)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12