Surly Bridge Club

Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    And Surly hit another home run...

OZ.

mtbr member
    If this had posted yesterday I would have thought it was a joke. I'm not really sure what they're thinking but yet another touring bike? Ok.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    If this had posted yesterday I would have thought it was a joke. I'm not really sure what they're thinking but yet another touring bike? Ok.

I will agree they have too many, but this one looks like a keeper. Ditch some of the other overlapping bikes.
    Ridley CX, Stumpjumper Carbon HT, Surly Wednesday

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I heard about this bike a couple weeks ago and I was confused about the need for it. But now that I see it, I want one. I loved my Troll but hated the dropouts. While I appreciate the versatility in most of Surly's offerings, sometimes less is more. This bike nails it. While I wouldn't use it as a touring bike, it would make a great townie/commuter. The price point is nice too, I think it'll sell well.....provided shops can ever get a hold of the damn thing.
    Jason

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad_M View Post
    I will agree they have too many, but this one looks like a keeper. Ditch some of the other overlapping bikes.
    Yeah, looking at it more closely it makes sense. For commuters and those who don't ruminate about any and all potential disasters, this bike makes sense. The drop out is simple, no canti mounts to get in the way when using fat rubber, etc. It has all the right braze-ons. In fact, if I didn't already have an Ogre, I'd probably be giving this a look. Also, per the spec sheet, it can accommodate 26x3.0 tires. Good stuff. I like the parts spec on this more than the Ogre or Troll. I anticipate seeing quite a few of these around town (Portland) in the coming year.

Maybe they'll now put out a 27.5 ET tire.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Not available until July? Why oh why? Sweet looking bike, I would have to agree with a previous comment of another touring bike and getting rid of some of the ones that are overlapping. However, price point and versatility on this thing is sweet, but I own a Karate Beater Monkey

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Just saw the rear spacing 141 QR really 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    But now that I see it, I want one. I loved my Troll but hated the dropouts.
    That's funny. I looked at and thought, "I wonder if this would be better for my use than the Troll." Then I got to the dropouts and realized that I wouldn't be able to run my gear hub without a tensioner. Also a lower bottom bracket so it "wonít be too high if you decide to do some on-road touring." One of the first things I noticed about my Troll is how much easier it was to ride off road because the bb was higher than my Trucker. I've never found it to be too high for other uses though.

This does look like a good bike. It's not for me, and my wallet is happy about that, but it does seem like it'll have its place.

mtbr member
    It's 138mm Gnot boost for 135mm QR and 141mm hubs. Maybe the Marin Pine Mountain also has an OEM 141mm hub? Strange hub size with few available offerings, but 135 QR is tried and true.

Edit: QR 141 is apparently what happens when you put QR end caps on a 148 boost hub. More research is needed; I am not up on boost stuff.
    Last edited by PDKL45; 04-02-2018 at 05:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Hmmm. Lot of overlap there as already been said. If this had an EBB I'd be all over it as much prefer vertical dropouts with EBB to horizontals. Not quite as much tyre clearance as other recent offerings either.
    Will ponder this one for a while as could be my kind of thing.
    Actually quite a surprise to see this one. Four new models in as many months?

mtbr member
    I didn't see where the MSRP was listed. Anyone know what it is?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    So rear spacing 138mm?? So no need for washers to make standard 135 hubs fit? Does this mean Alfine IGH will fit this frame no problem?

mtbr member
    I didn't see where the MSRP was listed. Anyone know what it is?
    I saw somewhere $1200(usd) for complete.

Quote Originally Posted by EssexBoyUK View Post
    So rear spacing 138mm?? So no need for washers to make standard 135 hubs fit? Does this mean Alfine IGH will fit this frame no problem?
    I am assuming it would fit fine, but you would need a chain tensioner.

mtbr member
    Yes sir, $1,200 complete build, not had at all, kind of a full steel Salsa Journeyman flatbar.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    If you want IGH, get a Troll.
    Jason

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    If you want IGH, get a Troll.
    Think I'd prefer chain tensioner to horizontal drop outs for IGH. Found it a total pain in the arse with Alfine on a Pug.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EssexBoyUK View Post
    Think I'd prefer chain tensioner to horizontal drop outs for IGH. Found it a total pain in the arse with Alfine on a Pug.
    100% the other way for me. I ran a chain tensioner on my Long Haul Trucker with an igh for years. It was just one more thing to mess with. Once I switched to my Troll, I decided that as long as I was running a gear hub, I'd try to stick to frames that didn't require a tensioner. I run an Alfine on my Troll and have no issues with it.

mtbr member
    There's a 10-speed GX? Who knew?

Other than the tire clearance and all the stuff on the fork, it compares pretty normally to a hybrid.
    Last edited by Darth Lefty; 04-02-2018 at 11:03 AM.

mtbr member
    I want to poo-poo this thing, but I kinda like it. Iím definitely out of room in the garage, but I totally dig it. Iíd be thrilled with one with a fancy set of 700ís shod with some 45c riddlers.
    If this was available a year ago I definitely wouldíve bought one for mama as a commuter, instead of the Raleigh cross bike she got.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I was thinking the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vto2.0 View Post
    Just saw the rear spacing 141 QR really

I really don't know what was accomplished by not just having the MDS system on this bike.

Surly has really been missing the mark lately. In the last year or so, they have come out with a bunch of bicycles but all of them seem to miss the mark in some serious way, e.g., Pack Rat with rim brakes and no mid fork eyelets, a bunch of mountain bikes for bike packing with no real differentiation, replacing Pacer with Midnight Special, which somehow doesn't differ much from Pack Rat but even both of them don't fill what Pacer was good for, etc. What does ECR, Troll, Ogre, and now Bridge Club accomplish? These all strike me as four bikes that do the same thing. Throw Karate Monkey in this as well; there's probably some overlap with the other four.

I love my two Surly bicycles. I'm a huge fan of the Wednesday (which I don't own) and I really enjoy my disc trucker. I really want to like the new models, but they're just not doing it for me.

I always thought Surly was about having models that could be transformed from leftover parts in your garage. Surly has instead decided to make numerous models that accomplish the same thing.

I know that specing bikes is hard, but I'm really not sure how they're going to market the lineup they have now. If anything, I'd like to see them focus more on conventional, non-touring mountain bikes. After all, I would imagine the Karate Monkey is their most popular off-road model, just from what I've seen stocked in stores.

Coming out with four different "touring" bicycles hasn't caused me to question that a tour can be done on any bicycle, either. I'd have to literally print out the geometry charts and compare them very carefully to even find differences between these bicycles. If Surly is trying to go for niches within niches, I find it very hard to believe that will ever be profitable.

Edit: I just looked at the Troll and the Bridge Club geometry charts next to each other and they are so similar across the sizes that I struggle to figure out what this bike is supposed to do. The only major difference is about an inch of bottom bracket height. Would you purchase these two models? If so, why?

mtbr member
    Sigh, another new Surly, another frame with very little stack. It's like they want to protect their investments in Spacers, Inc.
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

puts the FU in fun
    So, the original Ogre was a Karate Monkey with more braze-ons. They replaced that bike with a new Ogre with bigger tire clearance. Now they introduce the Bridge Club with less braze-ons and less tire clearance than the Ogre or the old Karate Monkey. Got it.
    Everything in moderation. Including moderation.

mtbr member
    The big difference between Bridge Club and Troll/Ogre/ECR is price: Bridge Club is less expensive.
    Out to ride

mtbr member
    I'm trying, but fail to understand the reason to be of this bike.

Are the Ogre and Troll so horribly heavy and stiff they can't perform what this proposes to?

That's one crowded range right there. Unless tooling was dirt cheap or already existing I can't see the rationale behind this.

Of the new offerings I think they only nailed it with the new Pugs, seems like a great concept.

The Pack Rat fills an interesting niche but looks cheap and rushed.

The Midnight Special has all the features I'd look for in an all-around gravel bike but the Geo looks quite off.

I don't know the sales figures, but their line up could be simpler.
    The Krampus and KM platforms could be merged.

One thing they're missing is a proper progressive geometry AM/Enduro hardtail. These things are really killing it in EU, wonder if the US market won't start asking for something like that. They have most of the tooling already, shouldn't be too hard or expensive to develop. RSP price could be reasonable without a fork

mtbr member
    I get it - it's basically a Troll/Ogre with 27.5" wheels for $500 less than the current complete build. In order to make it more affordable, they ditched the Troll dropout and the slot for a Rohloff hub, which makes sense.

I think it's actually a pretty decent bike for $1200.
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly ECR

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I tend to think Surly really needs to take a deep breath and simplify their line up, so they can focus on distribution. It's a significant number of bikes that are generally hard to get and don't last long as models.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ze_Zaskar View Post
    I'm trying, but fail to understand the reason to be of this bike.
    Look beyond Surly, but at QBP's other brands like Salsa and Heller. They are trying to provide lower pricepoint bikes to get people into these touring/gravel/adventures. The ol' gateway drug theory. I think it's pretty smart. These bikes might not excite us current owners, but I guarantee they'll bring in a new crop of enthusiasts/junkies.
    Jason

mtbr member
    Before we all declare the lineup is too this or that, maybe we should see what old bikes are coming back

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Surly Bridge Club

Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    Sigh, another new Surly, another frame with very little stack. It's like they want to protect their investments in Spacers, Inc.
    Agreed

In fact, I feel they could differentiate their dirt lineup based on this.

Slacker geo and higher stack heights on ďsportierĒ models.

Steeper geo and lower stacks on more touring oriented.

Someone mentioned above about them missing an aggressive AM hardtail (Iíd love one rigid). I think the KM and Krampus come close. I want a Krampus bad but just want a little higher stack cockpit.

Maybe if Surly followed this theyíd risk the bikes being too specialized? Minimizing the Swiss Army knife aspects of these bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I think the Instigator 2.0 filled this role pretty well, but they were blowing them out cheap a few years ago. That might make them reasonably gun shy to try again.

One thing they're missing is a proper progressive geometry AM/Enduro hardtail. These things are really killing it in EU, wonder if the US market won't start asking for something like that. They have most of the tooling already, shouldn't be too hard or expensive to develop. RSP price could be reasonable without a fork

mtbr member
    I think it's a fantastic bike. I get that there's quite a bit of overlap in the Surly lineup, but this has a lot of the things I am looking for in a bike these days and I expect it to be very popular. The one disappointment is that there is no frame only option.

Also, is it just me or did this come as a complete surprise? Surly may be implementing tighter security (or just not posting pics to the dealer site weeks in advance of their planned release date).

I love the Bikepacking dot com take on the name:

"So how about that name? Well, the Surly crew has been known to stop and hang out under bridges during their group rides or commutes, either to have a sip from a flask or other such social activities. Out of sight from other trail users and on the down low. They referred to these outings as Bridge Club rides."

Heh. "Other such social activities..."

Like a FirePlug
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.

I really don't know what was accomplished by not just having the MDS system on this bike.

Surly has really been missing the mark lately. In the last year or so, they have come out with a bunch of bicycles but all of them seem to miss the mark in some serious way, e.g., Pack Rat with rim brakes and no mid fork eyelets, a bunch of mountain bikes for bike packing with no real differentiation, replacing Pacer with Midnight Special, which somehow doesn't differ much from Pack Rat but even both of them don't fill what Pacer was good for, etc. What does ECR, Troll, Ogre, and now Bridge Club accomplish? These all strike me as four bikes that do the same thing. Throw Karate Monkey in this as well; there's probably some overlap with the other four.

I love my two Surly bicycles. I'm a huge fan of the Wednesday (which I don't own) and I really enjoy my disc trucker. I really want to like the new models, but they're just not doing it for me.

I always thought Surly was about having models that could be transformed from leftover parts in your garage. Surly has instead decided to make numerous models that accomplish the same thing.

I know that specing bikes is hard, but I'm really not sure how they're going to market the lineup they have now. If anything, I'd like to see them focus more on conventional, non-touring mountain bikes. After all, I would imagine the Karate Monkey is their most popular off-road model, just from what I've seen stocked in stores.

Coming out with four different "touring" bicycles hasn't caused me to question that a tour can be done on any bicycle, either. I'd have to literally print out the geometry charts and compare them very carefully to even find differences between these bicycles. If Surly is trying to go for niches within niches, I find it very hard to believe that will ever be profitable.

Edit: I just looked at the Troll and the Bridge Club geometry charts next to each other and they are so similar across the sizes that I struggle to figure out what this bike is supposed to do. The only major difference is about an inch of bottom bracket height. Would you purchase these two models? If so, why?
    You, my good sir, put into words my exact thought when i first saw this new version of the original KM.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Keep the Rubber Side Down

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by ErvSpanks View Post
    You, my good sir, put into words my exact thought when i first saw this new version of the original KM.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    When I posted this angry rant, I really hesitated to hit send, because I thought everyone was going to jump all over me. I'm pleased to see that *almost* everyone else thinks exactly what I do.

Also, I agree totally on an all-mountain hardtail. If I could find an Instigator locally, I'd snatch it up. I'm actually kinda regretting not buying a Karate Monkey or at least demoing it when I was up in Santa Fe. Karate Monkey, Krampus, Wednesday, and Ice Cream Truck all seem like they're knocking it out of the park. Pack Rat, Midnight Special, Bridge Club, and Straggler all seem like they missed the mark in some serious, unjustifiable way. And as much as I love wide-tire/allroad type drop bar bikes and use my Disc Trucker for that, taking Pacer out of the lineup and keeping Straggler, Pack Rat, and Midnight Special instead of reforming Straggler into a proper allroad bike and keeping Pacer in the lineup (with an upgrade to discs) was a huge blunder.

I guess I have to agree on the stack height as well; both of my Surlys have 40-50mm of spacers and things below the handlebar stem.

If I had nothing else to say about this bike, I would say that any geared bicycle sold in 2018, especially one with flat bars, should have through axles and modern (aka, boost) hub spacing. What the hell were they thinking?

And this is coming from a HUGE Surly fan.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    I think the Instigator 2.0 filled this role pretty well, but they were blowing them out cheap a few years ago. That might make them reasonably gun shy to try again.
    Yes, it did. But I think it was a bit ahead of it's time in terms of market. Also, a hardcore hardtail needs proper geometry (you know, long low and slack) and wheel size (29/27.5+) to really work and the Instigator had none of this.

I think this was the perfect time for an Instigator 3.0, >1200mm wheelbase, >470mm reach, 140-160mm fork, steep seat tube, something like that.
    Instead they launch the Ogre's younger brother that didn't like sports at highschool

Chicken Master
    This bike must surely have a lighter frame than the Troll, or else what is the point of it?

But I am still struggling to see the purpose of this bike.

One of the things I have always liked about the Troll and Ogre is the gussets to the head tube and the bracing from seat pole to top tube, it suggested you had a seriously rugged bike on your hands that could really take on the tough stuff.

The Bridge Club loses the gussets and bracing and is clearly geared more for the road and less for off-road, compared to the Troll, by the bottom bracket drop.

Without having Thru-axles or flat mount or post mount braking, the bike offers me literally nothing I can't get from the Troll and I prefer the visual look of the Troll's longer head tube.

Overall, whilst I think Surly got the Midnight Special right enough, this bike feels like another miss, another Pack Rat.

Also, what is up with the uninspired colour scheme?

It feels like a luke warm rehash of "Steve's Pants".

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Look beyond Surly, but at QBP's other brands like Salsa and Heller. They are trying to provide lower pricepoint bikes to get people into these touring/gravel/adventures. The ol' gateway drug theory. I think it's pretty smart. These bikes might not excite us current owners, but I guarantee they'll bring in a new crop of enthusiasts/junkies.
    It is indeed a "My first Surly" kind of bike or a handy second bike or 3,4,5 for those of us that already run with Surly's.

This and the Salsa Journeyman give people a great start to adventure/urban riding.

This is a Troll light for me, the rear drop out looks great if you run fenders. My current Troll is a PITA when I get a rear wheel puncture, dropping the wheel straight down would make life much easier. And whilst the idea of running a Rohloff Speedhub is a great idea how many of us will pony up the money for it.

And the 27.5 wheel size future proofs the frame too.

If friends of mine ask for a first bike recommendation a Bridge Club will be at the top of the list.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I too see it that way; it's not an 'overkill, I undertake the most epic bikepacking expeditions, look at me' bike, but rather humble, I find that very appealing.

The dropouts are fine for fenders, I like that too. For singlespeed purposes you can run a tensioner, which makes sense in some applications, or you can run a 3x crank and a single White Industries freewheel in the back (something I'm very fond of).
    If one likes the sound of a coffee grinder while riding in lower gears (aka Rohloff), I bet one can live with a tensioner too.

I also like the slightly lower bottom bracket for mixed surface riding, honestly, all these features make enough difference for me to justify another bike in Surly's lineup.

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Someone must have said (at a product meeting), " Why don't we make a simple, normal bike that is affordable?"
    And someone else said , "Sure, sounds great. It might bring new surly nerds to the herds.'

I like it. Kinda like the girl next door, plain Jane meet my mother kinda bike.

mtbr member
    There's a range of views on this bike and Surly here and I gotta say, I agree with a lot of them, even ones that oppose each other. I'm curious as to what availability of all of Surly's bikes is going to look like in the coming year given the number of models.

mtbr member
    For me, the Bridge Club would be a good surrogate for the 1x1. I would like to have a 26" wheel bike and I pretty much have to go to MTB inspired bikes to get an appropriate top-tube length. The Bridge Club is non-suspension corrected, has a derailleur tab, doesn't have the horrendous looking seat-tube bracket and has enough BB drop to give a nice low center of gravity while not being too low for 26 x 60mm tires.

My current bike is a Gen 1 Karate Monkey and this could be a kick-ass 26" version of the same bike.

Too bad they don't offer it as a frameset.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    as much as i keep wanting to get another surly,and as much as i love the 5 i have,the new models just arent doing it for me...
    which sucks as a tall person since surly was one of the few companies that made bikes that fit someone 6'6"...

but at least mama qbp is still getting my money since i jumped ship to salsa...

mtbr member
    Interesting.

Bridge Club's frame sheet says its meant for harsher use than the Troll.

I would have thought the opposite.
    "Ride what you love, love what you ride"

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm pretty interested in this bike and am looking forward to hearing more information about it. I've been considering an Ogre and actually prefer the simplicity of a vertical dropout over the elaborate Ogre dropout. Clearly the $1200 instead of $1700 is a significant savings as well.

What I'm wondering about is the actual frame. Has Surly said if, for example, the main triangle is double butted tubing similar to the Ogre? I'd hope that most of the savings on this bike come from reducing the complexity of the frame and tier of components as opposed to reducing the quality of the frame itself by using all straight gauge tubing for example.

I also am a little disappointed in the low stack situation as well. I prefer to ride with the handlebars even with the saddle. In their promo images they show a woman riding a smaller frame setup with the bars even with the saddle. But they show a man on a larger frame and the handlebars are so much lower than the saddle!

I understand there's some personal fit and preference to consider but it seems like the larger sizes of the frame are not designed maintain the same rider fit without using lots of spacers. I'd love to learn more about the process of designing a bike for a particular set of uses and rider fits. Maybe I'm missing something.

mtbr member
    So how does sizing work on this bike? I have a Med Wednesday for reference. I was thinking about a Med Karate Monkey for my wife. But the bridge club might be better for the riding she would do with it.

I overlaid the M Wed and M KM geometry, and they are almost identical. I overlaid the M BC and it is much smaller. Even a large BC is smaller, except stand over height.

Here are the mediums (green = Wed, yellow = KM, blue = BC)
    Surly Bridge Club-capture-med-sur.jpg
    Ridley CX, Stumpjumper Carbon HT, Surly Wednesday

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Okay so I found more information on the frame itself that does confirm the main triangle uses double butted tubing, so that's good to see. Guess I'll have to go take one for a spin once the weather improves here in MN!

https://surlybikes.com/uploads/downl...00679_INST.pdf

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Sounds like a good value for a Surly, I swear every bike they make is about $1800.

But is it really all that great when compared to some of the Cannondale offerings. Some Cannondales have a flat bar and no suspension for around $700 to $800.

Are we now paying a premium for steel?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    So how does sizing work on this bike? I have a Med Wednesday for reference. I was thinking about a Med Karate Monkey for my wife. But the bridge club might be better for the riding she would do with it.

I overlaid the M Wed and M KM geometry, and they are almost identical. I overlaid the M BC and it is much smaller. Even a large BC is smaller, except stand over height.

Here are the mediums (green = Wed, yellow = KM, blue = BC)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture-med-sur.jpg 
Views:	1945 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	1191039
    In size Medium:
    ECR 29+ Stack = 609.5 Reach 408
    ECR 27.5+ Stack = 603.5 Reach 410

Ogre Stack 603.4 Reach 410.5

Karate Monkey Stack 597 Reach 427

Bridge Club Stack 576 Reach 419

I'd be worried about the low stack on the Bridge Club. Personally, as a female rider, higher stack means the bike is easier to fit. That is significant. I know HTA's and ETT's with stack and reach allow you to calculate trigonometrically. But it's pretty clear. Beautiful bike, though.

FYI, I have a medium KM, and I had a small Krampus. (oops). KM is trail, and BC is touring. ECR in between. If color is an issue, powder coat. The stack on the ECR, especially the 29+, is sweet. Size medium can choose b/w wheel sizes. ECR is both stable and responsive.
    2018 Surly Karate Monkey 'dingle' speed
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

mtbr member
    With the Bridge Club and the new KM the Ogre seems pretty obsolete now.

mtbr member
    I don't think this bike explicitly replaces anything. I think the headline is that it's very normal and not very adaptable at least by the standards of the rest of the lineup. It's only available complete, not as a frame, making an average owner think twice about doing anything else to it when it already works fine. The dropouts discourage anything besides a derailleur drivetrain and disc brakes and QR hubs. Almost every other geared Surly is not so simple, to allow for thru axles, canti studs, single speed, what have you. It will take a large but not extreme payload, not heavy duty, so it's not a Troll/Ogre. The steep, low-slung geometry and lack of suspension fork provision encourage cranking out the miles, not aggressive riding, so it's not a KM / Krampus, much less Instigator. It still gives a ton of options for rim and tire sizes, but not fat and not 29+ , so it's not a Pugs/ECR. It's still obviously a mountain bike so it's not an LHT.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    I don't think this bike explicitly replaces anything. I think the headline is that it's very normal and not very adaptable at least by the standards of the rest of the lineup. It's only available complete, not as a frame, making an average owner think twice about doing anything else to it when it already works fine. The dropouts discourage anything besides a derailleur drivetrain and disc brakes and QR hubs. Almost every other geared Surly is not so simple, to allow for thru axles, canti studs, single speed, what have you. It will take a large but not extreme payload, not heavy duty, so it's not a Troll/Ogre. The steep, low-slung geometry and lack of suspension fork provision encourage cranking out the miles, not aggressive riding, so it's not a KM / Krampus, much less Instigator. It still gives a ton of options for rim and tire sizes, but not fat and not 29+ , so it's not a Pugs/ECR. It's still obviously a mountain bike so it's not an LHT.
    I agree with all of this. I really don't think it's replacing anything, it's offering an alternative. Personally, I am really encouraged by the new focus that QBP seems to have on affordable entry level bikes like the Bridge Club and the Journeyman.

A lot of people are trying to divine what it replaces or renders obsolete in the current line up, but I think that misses the point to a certain extent. By offering a complete only option, with a reduced amount of flexibility in terms of brakes, hubs etc, Surly are cutting out analysis paralysis to a certain extent.

While some might sneer at it as a "my first Surly," to me that's a really good thing. For the regular, non bike obsessed person wanting to get into bike packing or light touring, to just try it out, a bike like this is perfect. It's cheaper than other models, without really being heavily compromised in terms of quality and you don't have to obsessively research every type of braking system or hub size to work out what will work for you.

I can see a guy getting back into biking buying this, riding it for a few years, working out what he's all about in terms of riding, and then going on to something like the Ogre made up to his own specifications, having used the Bridge Club to develop and refine his ideas about bikes.

Or, it could be someone like me who knows what they want in a bike and knows what they can live without. I don't really need canti studs, Rohloff plates and various other frame features on my bikes and I can happily live without them, even while being slightly bike obsessed. I was saying to a mate yesterday that it's like an entry level bike for bike nerds.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Mate, if the "My First Surly" sneer was directed at me you totally missed my point.

This is exactly the type of bike Surly needed in its line up. Exactly as you said (as did I) its great bike for those who are starting out at a very good starting price. Its also not a bike that will be "outgrown" quickly as its so versatile.

Too many bike companies are pushing bikes out to the extreme of their intended use and price point. Its a great way not to grow the total numbers of bike riders when the buy in price gets to high.

I used to windsurf/sailboard back in the 80/90's and watched the board making companies push the sport to the extreme end and then wonder a few years later where had all the learners gone. Most were discouraged by the expensive equipment that could only be ridden on very windy days, not what most of us weekend warriors needed.

So the Bridge Club/Journey man for me have come along at just the right time and right price. Even though I already have a Troll, Karate Monkey and a Crosscheck I will be looking into the availability of a Bridge Club down here in OZ.

And as I said any of my friends that ask as to what bike they should buy the B.C will be at the top of the list of mixed road/ commuting duties.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Hey sorry, I was actually talking about a dismissive comment I saw somewhere else on the Internet, using the same phrase but with an entirely different intention. Not aimed at you at all mate.

mtbr member
    I'll be interested to hear how it handles singletrack unloaded.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Surly in OZ View Post
    Hi Mate, if the "My First Surly" sneer was directed at me you totally missed my point.

This is exactly the type of bike Surly needed in its line up. Exactly as you said (as did I) its great bike for those who are starting out at a very good starting price. Its also not a bike that will be "outgrown" quickly as its so versatile.

Too many bike companies are pushing bikes out to the extreme of their intended use and price point. Its a great way not to grow the total numbers of bike riders when the buy in price gets to high.

I used to windsurf/sailboard back in the 80/90's and watched the board making companies push the sport to the extreme end and then wonder a few years later where had all the learners gone. Most were discouraged by the expensive equipment that could only be ridden on very windy days, not what most of us weekend warriors needed.

So the Bridge Club/Journey man for me have come along at just the right time and right price. Even though I already have a Troll, Karate Monkey and a Crosscheck I will be looking into the availability of a Bridge Club down here in OZ.

And as I said any of my friends that ask as to what bike they should buy the B.C will be at the top of the list of mixed road/ commuting duties.

OZ.
    OZ I totally agree with you on this. Honestly, if the Bridge Club or Journeyman weíre available 8 years ago when I got into cycling thatís most likely where I wouldíve landed. Instead I bought a hybrid with the sales pitch that it was a road/mountain bike which made me believe that is what it was. I learned quickly that I wanted more mountain than I wanted road capabilities. I did learn that hybrids were more of a ďfitnessĒ bike, but really if fitness is the goal, why not get a big, heavy, steal framed single speed fat bike?

mtbr member
    I'll be interested to hear how it handles singletrack unloaded.
    Me too. Especially because--as someone mentioned above and I checked out earlier--the Bridge Club's frame is rated for gnarlier terrain than the troll's.

Chicken Master
    I'm going to step back a bit from some of my earlier negative comments.

Firstly, I didn't realise that this would be offered as a bike only and no frame option and I was thinking mainly from a "frame" perspective.

This was also before I realised that the Bridge Club was rated as being suitable for Condition 3 riding, whereas the Troll and Ogre are only rated for Condition 2 riding.

So despite the lack of bracing and gusseting, it is a "tougher" frame than the Troll & Ogre????

Also I didn't realise how much cheaper it was as a whole bike, and by comparison, Surly have done a much better effort in offering up a "low cost option", than Salsa has done with the Journeyman.

And whilst I criticised Surly for kind of just re-doing the colour of Steve's Pants, I do think this shade of blue is nicer than the shade of blue that was used for Steve's Pants.

Now leaving the above backtracking behind, does the introduction of the Bridge Club threaten the long term future of the Troll and Ogre?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Well, it's quick-release, and has fewer options. Does Surly's base client want TA and options?

Does anyone know if the Ogre and Troll sell out quickly?
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

mtbr member
    Trail rating is not the same thing as strength. Surly also says that the BC is not intended for loads as heavy as the Trollgre. And none of them are going to be a Karate Monkey Ops on single track. Also, as to their survival as a product, the Troll and Ogre have the maximum flexibility how they can be built up, and the BC has the minimum. The ECR and Trollgre also have the Surly trailer hitch mounts. I wouldn't be astonished to see the Troll go away, but that's due to its dinosaur tire size, not overlap with the BC. Maybe they could combine it with the Ogre as a single product in different sizes like the ECR.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    Trail rating is not the same thing as strength. Surly also says that the BC is not intended for loads as heavy as the Trollgre. And none of them are going to be a Karate Monkey Ops on single track. Also, as to their survival as a product, the Troll and Ogre have the maximum flexibility how they can be built up, and the BC has the minimum. The ECR and Trollgre also have the Surly trailer hitch mounts. I wouldn't be astonished to see the Troll go away, but that's due to its dinosaur tire size, not overlap with the BC. Maybe they could combine it with the Ogre as a single product in different sizes like the ECR.
    Agree on the Troll. FWIW, I don't think the Ogre is going anywhere. The BC is a no fuss, lower tech, lower cost bike. It fills a niche. A lot of riders don't want to hear about dropper posts and TA's. Too confusing and too much $$.
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

Chicken Master
    I was corrected on another forum about the Bridge Club having gusseting, it actually does have the same gusseting as the Troll/Ogre, so at least that makes more sense to me now.

mtbr member
    One man's hell yeah is another man's meh.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    How has no one mentioned some of the bullshit moves Surly pulled with the build kit. Powerspline BB?!? Itís been 10 years since Iíve touched one of those and that was back in the dark ages of really bad QC on Sram/Truvativ BBís. There are zero upgrade options without replacing the whole crankset. The ďGXĒ RD doesnít have a clutch so itís really just an X5 thatís OEM rebadged to have some marketing pull. Iíve never had the displeasure of touching any Promax brakes, but I doubt they are any better the Tektro cable junk. These are pretty glaring spec holes for a bike they are charging over $1000 for.

If they wanted to cheap out on the crankset, they should have went for a Samox or similar Chinese no name that at least has a 24mm external BB. The derailleur is purely psychological - I.e. oh, GX is good - it has Eagle now. Every GX RD I know of has a clutch, this one doesnít and a clutch is definitely beneficial for ďadventureĒ riding. As for the brakes, they should have at least went with mediocre BB5ís so that you have the CPS washers for angular adjustments on the caliper. The kind of adjustments youíll likely need when your frame needs to flex 3mm to fit any wheel. Maybe SRAM only had overstock of garbage cranks and RDís for Surly to use at blowout prices.

mtbr member
    To everyone raving about this bike and the build price, please go check the Genesis Longitude

https://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes...tude/longitude

https://www.google.pt/amp/s/singletr...price-tag/amp/

Chicken Master
    To everyone raving about this bike and the build price, please go check the Genesis Longitude

https://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes...tude/longitude

https://www.google.pt/amp/s/singletr...price-tag/amp/
    How easy is it for non-UK folk to obtain this bike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelSanders View Post
    How easy is it for non-UK folk to obtain this bike?
    I looked into it when they were first released and I was in the market for a bike. They ran out of stock rapidly, as it was much more popular than they bargained for and I bought a bike locally to me.

Evans Cycles (https://www.evanscycles.com) stock Genesis. They are currently out of stock of the complete 2018 Longitude according to their website, but they may be able to get a frameset (it's reminiscent of the Surly Ogre in a really good way: https://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes...e/longitude-fs) if you email them.

2019 complete models and framesets will be available in a few months; I think the best thing (well, the cheapest thing in terms of postage and customs fees) to do for a non-UK resident would be to get a frameset and build it up. There are a lot of UK stockists that you may be able to email for info, as well as contacting the company directly.

mtbr member
    Oh, Surly bikes are definitely not winners on the price tag.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Well I joined the Bridge Club a couple weeks ago. It's now one of my commuter bikes.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Anger View Post
    Well I joined the Bridge Club a couple weeks ago. It's now one of my commuter bikes.

They need more bikes in that color. Nice!
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

Chicken Master
    I would love to hear from people who have had a lot of experience riding a Troll or Ogre and have had the chance to ride the Bridge Club and can do a comparison between them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I test rode one of these and was really pleased with the ride. I could certainly see it as someone's 'first' Surly, or a bike that, like most Surly's, can be adapted to one's own preferences.

Note To Self: $$$$ carbon-framed bikes not necassary to have fun!
    2018 Specialized Diverge Expert
    2018 Giant Anthem Pro 29 1

mtbr member
    It's all adequate midgrade stuff that won't command any premium. What's special about this frame to you? It's basically a 27.5 Trollgre with fewer features. Either of those would be better from the ground up. 29er tires have been more popular again lately. 26er tires will be available in some flavor for the next fifty years... you can still get a lot of 27" tires even though it's been thirty years, and 26er was just as popular for just as long.

mtbr member
    You don't need to change wheel set size for commuter slicks. People have been putting 1.5" slicks on their MTB's for decades. It lowers the ride height to about what a road bike has.

mtbr member
    We debated the trail rating thing earlier and came to no satisfying conclusion but nobody called Surly to ask, I guess. I can't imagine they are weak in any important sense.

mtbr member
    Why would the flexibility of wheel sizes on the BC be any better than the Troll? Just because Surly says the Troll isn't optimized for 700c wheels (or whatever) doesn't mean the BC is great for every wheel size out there.

Anyway, if you like the BC, buy the complete and change out the parts as they wear out. Mid range stuff is surprisingly good these days.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    My wife just picked up her BC last Saturday. I use an "old" Karate Monkey Ops for my commuter and touring/camping bike. We needed a bike to match those needs for her. We looked at the Troll, but the BC just fit the needs and wants she had better. We have only gotten a couple of rides in with the new bike (and my 27.5+ tires on the KM... that is not the best idea for gravel riding LoL), but she looked at me tonight during dinner and said, "I wanna ride my bike." I consider that to be a victory. :-)
    2018 Santa Cruz Hightower CC
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0
    2015 Surly Karate Monkey Ops (commuter, gravel, fun))

mtbr member
    The NAHBS is in a couple of weeks. Maybe you can find someone to corner and make you exactly what you want. But probably not if they see you coming.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by John Denver View Post
    Why do you say that? Opposed to what 26" tires?
    For reference, I have 3 sets of wheels I can use on my non-road bikes. A 29" set set up with Schwalbe Marathons, a 29" set with Maxxis Ardent/Ikons, and a 27.5+ with Ranger/Rekon. I haven't owned a 26er in so long... I couldn't begin to tell you how one compared.

Last weekend we went camping and hit up 50 miles of gravel riding. I had swapped my wheelset over to my 27.5+ running a 3.0 front and 2.8 rear. I usually run a 28x50 (or 29x50mm) tire on our gravel rides. I was absolutely BEATEN on this ride. The amount of energy I had to put out to keep up with her riding her 29" mtb was unreal. I usually put a hurting on her on these rides, but I could barely keep up (and could NOT keep up near the end).

The amount of traction on the = tires is great..... and floating over the loose and sandy gravel bits is great... but I won't be running them again on a gravel run because I could not put out the distance I needed to. Riding the Katy Trail this summer from Sedalia to St Louis for vacation, so I have to be able to put out the miles day after day. :-)

YMMV: Some people may LOVE + and gravel.... I will stick with my Schwalbe Marathons for it. :-)
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight511 View Post

The amount of traction on the = tires is great..... and floating over the loose and sandy gravel bits is great... but I won't be running them again on a gravel run because I could not put out the distance I needed to. Riding the Katy Trail this summer from Sedalia to St Louis for vacation, so I have to be able to put out the miles day after day. :-)

YMMV: Some people may LOVE + and gravel.... I will stick with my Schwalbe Marathons for it. :-)
    Youíll be fine. Rode the Katy with my wife last fall, her with 700 x 42, I think, and me with my 26 x 2.15 Almotions. I was easily ahead of her most days, opposite of when we rode the GAP, and I had my 2.5 ETs. On that trip she was always in the lead. Even so, I love my ETs and would have taken them on the Katy if I could have. But itís a smooth ride, and anything other than the skinniest , road tires will be comfy.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    29: Ardent front Ikon rear
    27.5+: Ranger front Rekon rear

My wife just got her BC Saturday night, so she was riding her Spec Rumor the last time we were on gravel (which I guess was technically 2 weekends ago now... :-( I already want to get out camping again).

And yes, Marathons like that only bigger in size. They are my normal commuter tires, but I run them on gravel rides as well. You don't really need knobs on gravel which is why most real gravel tires are qquite smooth down the middle. You also don't "shred" when you are riding loaded, so I don't need or use big side knobs for turning deep. I couldn't tell you how many miles the tires have on them on mixed surfaces, but they have never let me down. No flats... no accidents. I am sure they are crap in deep mud, but mtb tires don't really help in the mud we have here (clay), so there is no difference. Ice/snow? Snow is why fat bikes exist... and ice is why studded tires exist. Skinny, studless tires would be crap on either. :-)

Prior to the BC, my wife road a Fuji Silhouette on gravel rides with a pair of Spec Sawtooth (https://www.specialized.com/us/en/sa...ready/p/155300) tires. She switched to the BC so we could do a bit more off road touring.

I do plan on picking up a set of tires like the Riddler for our trips in the spring and summer just so we can do some off road if we want to while we are out.

And we are not talking about Dirty Kanza style gravel racing, but you wouldn't be doing that on a BC anyway. We are talking multi-surface touring, camping and bikepacking. The things the BC and original Monkey were kind of made for and good at. If I am going to be riding in rougher stuff, it is my SC Hightower with a handlebar bag (tent) and my Manta hydration pack.
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    I will add to my posts... If I were going to buy a Surly now to replace my Monkey, I would buy a BC because the other options don't give me what I want... or I would get a Troll frame and shove my 29" wheels in it. ;-)
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_E View Post
    Youíll be fine. Rode the Katy with my wife last fall, her with 700 x 42, I think, and me with my 26 x 2.15 Almotions. I was easily ahead of her most days, opposite of when we rode the GAP, and I had my 2.5 ETs. On that trip she was always in the lead. Even so, I love my ETs and would have taken them on the Katy if I could have. But itís a smooth ride, and anything other than the skinniest , road tires will be comfy.
    oh... there is my mistake. I don't have Marathons on my KM... these are the correct tire. the Almotions. I have the 50-622s on my Monkey and they have been good for everything I use them for.

We have a trip to Caprock Canyon Trailway in the spring as well, so I am thinking some mild knobbies so we can do some riding around in the canyon without bringing 4 bikes on the trip. :-)
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight511 View Post
    We have a trip to Caprock Canyon Trailway in the spring as well, so I am thinking some mild knobbies so we can do some riding around in the canyon without bringing 4 bikes on the trip. :-)
    I don't know those trails, but I put some WTB Nanos on my wife's bike in preparation for some dirt and gravel riding. When the riding was done, she would not let me switch her back to her road tires. They don't seem to slow her down at all on pavement. I wish they did.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Just a few things before I go die while reading my textbooks for my masters class...

1. I don't own a Troll. You may have missed the point to my post. I wouldn't buy a Troll because, as so far as I am concerned, buying 26 tires is kind of like buying a 4 speed auto in a car... nostalgic, but there are better options for me out there now. Even with the Troll being a 26+ bike, I wouldn't buy one because I don't have a need to tour with a plus bike. If you are going to run with + sized tires, you will be fine with a 2x. I run a 3x on my KMO (48-36-26). I have used the 48 only once with the + tires.... I only shifted to it to see how hard I could push the set up on pavement.... there is too much energy consumed to push the 48 on loaded rides. :-D

2. We have less than 7 days with the BC. It has not been loaded, and due to our schedules, has only been out on a short ride on a very windy and cold day (the wife was happy with the bike, but it was cold even for me so the ride was short).

3. Sedalia is in Missouri on the Katy Trail. The Katy goes from one side of MO to the other (and hopefully they will take a gift of rail that is being offered to them right now to add more to the trail). I am from and live in North Texas. Caprock Canyon is in West Texas and is another rail-to-trail set up with a tunnel full of bats. :-)

4. Loaded touring rides are between 30-50 miles a day depending on what our destination and goal is. We are not racers, we are not ultra distance riders, we are interested in riding and touring for fun and for vacationing. We spend most trips just camping with a trailer I built to carry our gear and our roof top tent. We had been packing the tent on the bed of my truck, but we lost our bike space doing that, so the trailer was built.

John, I think you are stepping into WAY over analyzing the two bikes. They are pretty similar overall. Between them, I like the simplicity of the drop outs on the BC over the horizontals on the Troll (we won't be using a SS set up). My wife, ultimately, chose the BC over the Troll because the color is much better and came with the handlebar she wanted. I am running the Moloko on my KMO and am having a HELL of a time getting it set up to be comfortable. I am likely to go back to my Salsa Bend 2 (the bar her BC came with which I ran before the Moloko). Honestly, you will be happy with either bike for touring around and riding. I LOVE my KMO for commuting and gravel riding. Out of the bikes that are available new, the BC is the most similar which is why I weighed replacing my KMO when we bought hers. I did not replace my KMO though.... I bought a new KM fork instead to use any of my wheels due to the 15x110. :-)

And here is a happy picture to remind me that summer is coming and I will be free again (I'm a teacher)...

Surly Bridge Club-camp.jpg
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Denver View Post
    I don't.

It's making me an extremely informed consumer, which only helps me further each step in life I go in doing just that, and lowers statistical chance of buyers remorse. As a result, I am learning about engineering, mathematics, business, customer relations, honesty, and integrity as I go. Those are all positives and only help strengthen me.

Sweet setup on the camper, truck, etc... That's a little piece of heaven!

You still didn't mention how tall your wife is.
    All that time fannying about when you could have been riding....

I had a Bridge Club on review and really liked it. My wife borrowed it and liked it so much we arranged to buy it!

It's just a really good "bike" that doesn't need labels. Why buy one over a troll? Well it takes 27.5 normal trail and 2.8 plus tyres which are commonly available and with the 700 x 42 option over everything apart from full on fat bike terrain.

Someone up there mentioned the old fashioned chainset, the advantage of this style is that you can fit a wider BB to maintain chain/tyre clearance.

If the 10 speed GX is rebadged X5 it works a hell of a lot smoother than the X5 that came on my Spearfish.

Here's my review:

https://advntr.cc/surly-bridge-club-review/

Chicken Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnystorm View Post
    All that time fannying about when you could have been riding....

I had a Bridge Club on review and really liked it. My wife borrowed it and liked it so much we arranged to buy it!

It's just a really good "bike" that doesn't need labels. Why buy one over a troll? Well it takes 27.5 normal trail and 2.8 plus tyres which are commonly available and with the 700 x 42 option over everything apart from full on fat bike terrain.

Someone up there mentioned the old fashioned chainset, the advantage of this style is that you can fit a wider BB to maintain chain/tyre clearance.

If the 10 speed GX is rebadged X5 it works a hell of a lot smoother than the X5 that came on my Spearfish.

Here's my review:

https://advntr.cc/surly-bridge-club-review/
    Very nice review.

Interesting that you say the tubing is thinner on the Bridge Club.

Firstly, that would make sense and give the bike potentially a different ride characteristic to the Ogre & Troll.

But that then only makes it all the more mystifying why Surly rated the Bridge Club as being able to handle rougher riding than the Ogre & Troll.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelSanders View Post
    Very nice review.

Interesting that you say the tubing is thinner on the Bridge Club.

Firstly, that would make sense and give the bike potentially a different ride characteristic to the Ogre & Troll.

But that then only makes it all the more mystifying why Surly rated the Bridge Club as being able to handle rougher riding than the Ogre & Troll.
    I suppose rougher riding isnt the same as riding with a heavy load. An LHT will carry more luggage than a BC but not get used on as rough tracks. Might also have something to do with tyres fitted, doesn't the troll come with lightly treaded ETs Vs MTB tyres on the BC?

Whatever the reason JD is over thinking it. Trolls have been ridden everywhere with obscene loads. If he likes the colour/spec/price he should get one. I fear though that such a person would never be happy and probably Surly and the LBS just don't want the grief.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Edit: since JD removed his post, I'll remove my reply.

But, as for ASTM- From my understanding, the ratings Surly lists is not for components, but rather the frame and fork itself. You mention spoke count, but those are arbitrary to frame testing, right? Surly claims the Bridge Club and Troll are tested under different specific categorical standards, and thus rated differently.

mtbr member
    I can't get my head around the concept of wanting a bike, narrowing it down to two really simple, uncomplicated and similar bikes and dancing about for a year paralysed unable to buy one. Hell, I'd just pick the one in the nicest colour.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnystorm View Post
    I can't get my head around the concept of wanting a bike, narrowing it down to two really simple, uncomplicated and similar bikes and dancing about for a year paralysed unable to buy one. Hell, I'd just pick the one in the nicest colour.
    So yeah.... there's the reason my wife ended up getting the BC. The diving pool blue is nice, but I would take the Porta Potty Blue instead (I have porta blue for my fork on my KMO now... it is REALLY nice). LoL
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

CS2
    mtbr member
    OK, so its been a while since this thread is up. Whatís the consensus of those who actually own the bike. No armchair critics please.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    See my post above with a link to my review. Liked it a lot, so did my Wife so we bought it for her. None of her other bikes have had a look in since. Road, trail, whatever. It's a nice bike to ride.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    My wife has not ridden her other 2 bikes since we picked her BC up. I count that as being a very positive review. I plan on taking my Domane out for our next ride to force her back to her road bike for a ride. LoL
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    OK, so its been a while since this thread is up. Whatís the consensus of those who actually own the bike. No armchair critics please.
    I Changed out too many parts to make it a good buy. It was an emotional buy. Horrible parts spec for the price. Heavy. Ten speed, really? Mechanical discs?

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    GF absolutely loves hers. She went with the stock model and the only things we're changing is seat, shorter stem, and cushy grips. Perfect all arounder - and for her, mechanical brakes and 10spd is perfectly fine coming from a rim brake bike with far less gears. And I love that diving pool blue. Will eventually get around to converting it tubeless. Grumpy older folks on here, yeah it's not the most high end parts spec, but for her this bike is a great intro to all around dirt road, bike path, light singletrack that also functions perfectly fine as a commuter (without too many fears of locking to a bike rack).

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anger View Post
    I Changed out too many parts to make it a good buy. It was an emotional buy. Horrible parts spec for the price. Heavy. Ten speed, really? Mechanical discs?

What kind of parts were expecting for $1200? IMO it isnít the best specíd bike out there but fair for the price. Iíd love to hear what parts you replaced.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    What kind of parts were expecting for $1200? IMO it isnít the best specíd bike out there but fair for the price. Iíd love to hear what parts you replaced.
    This is going to be my main commuter bike this spring - once the ice storms stop sometime in February lol. In hindsight, i'd have been smarter to get a better spec'd bike or just the frame. I fell in love with the color and the gnot-boost spacing. But in hindsight, the gnot boost spacing is pretty stupid for me. I have guessing 6+ 650b carbon wheelsets now, so I really don't need to swap them around. I don't have access to my excel file for bike builds but here goes from memory. Not all parts are on the bike as I have multiple other builds competing for attention.

Brakes: SRAM Guide-R's I had new sitting around were defective with infamous stuck piston syndrome I had to fix. Cost me $20.
    Cassette: XT 11 speed $60
    Chain: Timsum 11 speed
    R: Derailleur XT 11 speed
    Shifter: SRAM X0 gripshift 11 speed
    Front Derailleur: Delete
    Cranks: XT
    Wheels: Chiner 650b 25mm IW CF with DT350 hubs. $580
    Tires: 650b x 2.2 smooth-ish tread for concrete commuting. Tubeless $50
    Bars: Answer CF $60
    Seatpost: Chiner CF $20
    Grips: Brooks Leather $60
    Wood Fenders: for wet commuting
    Rack: Racktime
    Pedals: Crankbros eggbeater
    Surly Bridge Club-img_20181130_070055526.jpg
    Surly Bridge Club-img_20181215_191340029.jpg

mtbr member
    Just be thankful you aren't paying UK prices. The BC retails for £1400 ($1800).