mtbr member

Suggestion for an update for 1x1

Reading about the secret prototype got me thinking about what would induce me to spend money on another Surly. I'm happy with what I've got and not likely to be replacing them any time soon. So what would make me open my wallet?

Here's an email I have just sent Surly.

Gentlemen, the 1x1 is too good.

Almost all 1x1 owners I know hang on to their 1x1s even though other bikes may pass through their hands. The bike is so good and versatile that we can configure it in infinite ways.

All we can do is throw bling bits at the bike, but this does not satisfy the strong need for N+1 bikes. The money saved is spent on beer and whisky causing social problems in the membership.

Now this is a good thing, but we 1x1 owners have a nagging worry.

If the bike is so good, then no one is replacing their old ones, just hanging on to their existing ones.

This doesn’t affect us directly, other than hangovers, but if Surly isn’t selling as many 1x1s as it should be, it must affect your profitability.

We worry you fine chaps may be in danger of having your champagne rations cut, getting ugly personal assistants, and having to pedal your own cycles.

So help us out, the loyal 1x1 owners of Scotland, and also yourselves.

Here are the suggestions for an update, just minor changes:

1. widen the rear stays to take nominal 3.5" tyres like the Fat B Nimble, thus providing a 3 season (non winter) fatbike with 135mm symmetrical rear end. Also this means it can easily run 650B+ (which it can already but with a smidgen more clearance).

2. Make it singlespeed and hubgear specific so chainline is no problem.

3. Oh, and return the bike to a non-suspension corrected mode so it looks like a proper bike with a proper head angle.

Thanks

VeloBike

As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Velo. Where's the info on the 'Seecrit Prototype'?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    i second, but i think that clearance for a 24 fat b nimble, which the old ones have, would be the best way
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    Reading about the secret prototype got me thinking about what would induce me to spend money on another Surly. I'm happy with what I've got and not likely to be replacing them any time soon. So what would make me open my wallet?

Here's an email I have just sent Surly.

Gentlemen, the 1x1 is too good.

Almost all 1x1 owners I know hang on to their 1x1s even though other bikes may pass through their hands. The bike is so good and versatile that we can configure it in infinite ways.

All we can do is throw bling bits at the bike, but this does not satisfy the strong need for N+1 bikes. The money saved is spent on beer and whisky causing social problems in the membership.

Now this is a good thing, but we 1x1 owners have a nagging worry.

If the bike is so good, then no one is replacing their old ones, just hanging on to their existing ones.

This doesn’t affect us directly, other than hangovers, but if Surly isn’t selling as many 1x1s as it should be, it must affect your profitability.

We worry you fine chaps may be in danger of having your champagne rations cut, getting ugly personal assistants, and having to pedal your own cycles.

So help us out, the loyal 1x1 owners of Scotland, and also yourselves.

Here are the suggestions for an update, just minor changes:

1. widen the rear stays to take nominal 3.5" tyres like the Fat B Nimble, thus providing a 3 season (non winter) fatbike with 135mm symmetrical rear end. Also this means it can easily run 650B+ (which it can already but with a smidgen more clearance).

2. Make it singlespeed and hubgear specific so chainline is no problem.

3. Oh, and return the bike to a non-suspension corrected mode so it looks like a proper bike with a proper head angle.

Thanks

VeloBike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smporter View Post
    i second, but i think that clearance for a 24 fat b nimble, which the old ones have, would be the best way
    But then we need yet another set of wheels.

You can run a Fat B Nimble on a 40mm rim with no problems, so the 26" wheels can take ordinary tyres or fat ones (FBNs).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EssexBoyUK View Post
    Velo. Where's the info on the 'Seecrit Prototype'?
    There's this thread http://forums.mtbr.com/surly/any-gue...l#post12938379

I like the idea of that. It's something we discussed with the Surly lads at the Forth Fat in Scotland and also at the SSEC in Northern Ireland so obviously they were thinking along those lines a couple of years back.

Maybe if enough of us ask for an improved 1x1 we'll get that too.

mtbr member
    I love my '00 1x1, but I wish it had a rear disc mount... and rack braze-ons... and a derailleur hanger

Isn't this basically the new Troll?

But if they make something like that, it would be cool.

mtbr member
    Yes, me too. Mine's a '98

Although I have fitted modern drum brakes and I'm happy with them.

mtbr member
    Yes, me too. Mine's a '98

Although I have fitted modern drum brakes and I'm happy with them.
    Never considered that option. I've currently got mine set up with a Nexus 8spd hub and I think I could run a roller brake if I wanted to. Probably getting rid of the IG setup entirely because my Nexus doesn't seem to be designed to be ridden hard. Too many surprise gear-slips while I'm in the middle of an intersection.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slopvehicle View Post
    ...Too many surprise gear-slips while I'm in the middle of an intersection.
    Almost certainly a cable problem not a hub problem.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hey Velobike, it sounds like the bike you're suggesting already exists, and it's called the Pugsley. I suppose the main difference would be chainstay length.

mtbr member
    Almost certainly a cable problem not a hub problem.
    Yeah. Didn't get around to using a kevlar cable, that was going to be the next thing I tried. Ultimately I succumbed to new bike lust and built an Ogre up for commuting. Probably going to turn the 1x1 back into a singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    Hey Velobike, it sounds like the bike you're suggesting already exists, and it's called the Pugsley. I suppose the main difference would be chainstay length.
    Not quite. I have a Pugsley as do my friends who have 1x1s.

They do feel different. It's hard to define and none of us want to part with our 1x1s, especially since the introduction of the Dirt Wizards - that extra bit of volume transforms the 1x1.

We were talking about this today on our GFBD ride. Conclusion, the 1x1 can be defined as a 20 year bike - if you still have it after about a year, you'll never part with it.

The strange thing is there's nothing particularly special about its construction or finish, it's just that it works so well whatever you do with it. A zen bike.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    *tl;dr ADVISORY*

I approve of this topic. Great minds think alike? I said very similar somewhere else recently. Put the frames back to the feel and geo's of the 2ndGens (Disc Compatable, like my '05 and still able to take a 100mm suspension fork). For that matter (Ohhhohhohh!) how about a 30.9 seatpost with a dropperpost cable port? I get the logic on the new geometries, trust me I do. But for someone who also uses his as a play bike and is already running a short stem it means when I put the new 3rdGen together for the week I tried it out I had to delete my layback post to readjust the saddle forward that 7-10mm and go with an even shorter stem to get the handling I like. Honestly I love the tires I have now but yeah, DirtWizards are in it's future and I've tried a custom 26+ with 2.8's that the builder modeled after my friend's 14" 2ndGen 1x1. It was awesome and when he went back to 2.3's it handled exactly like mine does now.

Hell, I'm even open to the idea of the new headtube standard seeing as 1-1/8" non-tapered steerer forks are hen's teeth. At least then I could still go w a 100-125mm fork. I'm already using a 15mm thru on the front and CK Funbolts on the rear to that solid MTBMX feel.

I still have that 14" 3rdGen 1x1 sitting in a box. I picked up a spare 2ndGen so anyone wanting to buy the 3rd'ie let me know. I'll sell it for a solid price. Built and ridden on casual SingleSpeedSocials so lmkii.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi View Post
    ...Great minds think alike? I said very similar somewhere else recently. Put the frames back to the feel and geo's of the 2ndGens (Disc Compatable, like my '05 and still able to take a 100mm suspension fork)....
    My purpose in going back to the original fork and HA was to get the larger frame triangle. Good for frame bags.

It also means that folk who want "modern trail geometry" can simply put on a long fork and that will jack up the front, thus producing the desired slack headangle and floppy handling on steep climbs on their modern trails.

But I'd be surprised if the market for 1x1 these days is suspension oriented.

I did manage to contain myself from asking for it in 953 or 923, so you'll no doubt be admiring my self-restraint.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    My purpose in going back to the original fork and HA was to get the larger frame triangle. Good for frame bags.

It also means that folk who want "modern trail geometry" can simply put on a long fork and that will jack up the front, thus producing the desired slack headangle and floppy handling on steep climbs on their modern trails.

But I'd be surprised if the market for 1x1 these days is suspension oriented.

I did manage to contain myself from asking for it in 953 or 923, so you'll no doubt be admiring my self-restraint.
    For that logic alone was my reason to order up the newer 1x1 fork to put on the 2ndGen. Opening up the front end to have it handle like I prefer. They started giving buyers a choice between the two forks right after I got my '05 but then midstream all the XS's you only got the 80mm version. Luckily I still had that 100mm version for the white frame. Re-release the 2ndGen's with only the 100mm fork and what we're suggesting here IMHO.