SS Cross Check BB width?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

New question here. SS Cross Check BB width?

I'm expecting my new XC frameset tomorrow and have a question about BB width. I am planning on building it as a single speed with A Surly new hub laced to a Salsa delgado cross rim on the rear. My question is what would be the approriate BB width for a proper chainline. The cranks are Sugino RD 175s (48t). I'm a newbie so any help will be great.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jimcross
    I'm expecting my new XC frameset tomorrow and have a question about BB width. I am planning on building it as a single speed with A Surly new hub laced to a Salsa delgado cross rim on the rear. My question is what would be the approriate BB width for a proper chainline. The cranks are Sugino RD 175s (48t). I'm a newbie so any help will be great.
    I'm using Dura Ace cranks on mine in a single speed configuration and i had to use the widest octalink bb available (118mm i think). The bb setup was the most frustrating part of the build for me. Single speeds are supposed to be easy. I have minimal crank arm clearance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

I'll second that thought.

Quote Originally Posted by roseyscot
    I'm using Dura Ace cranks on mine in a single speed configuration and i had to use the widest octalink bb available (118mm i think). The bb setup was the most frustrating part of the build for me. Single speeds are supposed to be easy. I have minimal crank arm clearance.
    I'm running some Ultegra road cranks and I had to go with the 118mm spindle as well. I believe the cause is the flare of the chainstays to accomodate the larger tires. Normally a 113 or 110 would work OK but I had to go up 5mm on my XC. Just something to keep in mind...

I'd shoot the guys at Harris Cyclery a note on this: Sheldon and crew sell X-Check's and the Sugino cranks that you have; I'm sure they'll have the correct answer for you.

Not because I'm fast.....
    I have a 110mm on my cross check using Race Face square taper cranks and the chainring mounted on the outside. I have a phil 135mm flip/flop hub in back. I'd say 110 or 113 are your best bet. It's trial and error with getting good chainline. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Sounds like the original poster and the replies are talking about two different things:

1) Optimal Chainline
    2) Crank Clearance

Just because you pic the bb length for reason #2 doesn't mean you fulfil #1!!!

Obviously the orignal poster needs to first satisfy #2 first. Suffice to stay, the CC's wide chainstay put the cranks relatively outboard. Also, the surly new hub places the cog slightly closer to the flange than the drop out (ie slightly inboard).

So the trick for getting the best chainline will be to get the chainring as far inboard as possible w/o the cranks hitting the chainstay. One trick would be to try and mount the chainring in the place where the middle chainring goes. otherwise, it's trial and error because each crank is different Q factor for clearance of stays, hence you can't take the advice of others with different cranks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Islander nails it. And Roseyscot, single speeds are not supposed to be easier, they're supposed to be simpler. But that doesn't mean they don't have certain special needs. Just something new to learn.

Apr 2005
    Has anyone used a external bearing BB with a 135SS hub? I think the typical chainline range for external is 48-50mm, is this doable, or would a square taper or ISIS be a better bet?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

double octalink BB for me

Quote Originally Posted by l-dub1
    I'm running some Ultegra road cranks and I had to go with the 118mm spindle as well. I believe the cause is the flare of the chainstays to accomodate the larger tires. Normally a 113 or 110 would work OK but I had to go up 5mm on my XC. Just something to keep in mind...

I'd shoot the guys at Harris Cyclery a note on this: Sheldon and crew sell X-Check's and the Sugino cranks that you have; I'm sure they'll have the correct answer for you.
    I am using a ocalink ultegra crank with a 135mm surly new ff hub and the shorter double length bb 108 I think, using the stock 39t inner ring inside. I also used a sq taper 105 crank with I think a 113 bb but had to put the chainring on the outside which look a little odd with the spot ring gaurd inside.

Members who have read this thread: 0