So, what do you use you Pugsley for ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

New question here. So, what do you use you Pugsley for ?

Back in March i managed to get a hold of the UK's first Pugs for a test ride in snow. Fantastic so....i bought one. Now living in Austria and the bike will see some action this winter for sure but...does anyone use it for up and down stuff at other times of year. What can it handle ?

C'mon folks tell me what you and your Pugs get up to, don't want it to be just a snow bike !

Ziegi

mtbr member
    well duh! whale hucking. also see babyseat down below.

No, that's not phonetic
    I sometimes use mine to go riding.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Ok so maybe my question wasn't clear enough. I'm thinking about taking my Pugs across the Alps next week, rocky ascents and descents, swooping Alpine singletrack, carry sections etc. Average 5000-6000 feet of climbing and descending each day and around 40-50miles.

So, anyone use Pugs in that sense ? Could you ?

thanks

ziegi

Devo

you might want to think about that

Quote Originally Posted by ziegi
    Ok so maybe my question wasn't clear enough. I'm thinking about taking my Pugs across the Alps next week, rocky ascents and descents, swooping Alpine singletrack, carry sections etc. Average 5000-6000 feet of climbing and descending each day and around 40-50miles.

So, anyone use Pugs in that sense ? Could you ?

thanks

ziegi
    I ride my Pug almost every day since Oct. i dont own a car, its my commuter bike, adventure bike, its my everything bike. I just got home from a 3 day trip of about 70miles, and i think about 5000ft of climbing, maybe more. I was totally unsupported, and no one really knew exactly where i was. when i got home the bike weighed 86lbs, and thats minus the 3 days of rations i consumed. alone my Pug comes in at about 38lbs, with out racks, panniers, etc.
    im running 203mm rotors and at one point i did a descent of about 1000ft at about 20-60ft/min. I weigh 180lbs + 90(ish)lbs for the bike = 270lbs crawling down a steep descent, rocks, roots, etc, with no support, or no one knowing where you are at, this could be a critical situation if things went bad. I am using Avid mech discs with EBC Gold pads. at the bottom of the descent i could feel the heat coming off the rotors. i mean...with out even reaching down. the fork was warm, as was the frame.
    for me...if im climbing at 30ft/min with all that weight, in the dirt, over rocks, etc and trying to sustain for 1hr increments...its pretty damn tough.
    can the Pug handle stuff like this? Sure...of course. the real question is...can the person motor it?
    i'd think if you were supported and didnt have to carry all your gear, or if you totally simplified, down sleeping bag, and tarp. of course that much easier. remember a good reliable full size frame pump is your friend.
    peace......d
    www.AsanaCycles.com
    "Bicycle Lifestyle, realized." D.G.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Hi,

That's what i was looking for, thanks. I'd be supported so only planning to carry a rucksack with essentials and water. I'd also not be alone, got another rider on a 'normal' mtb with me.

I take your point about the pump

ziegi

Devo

about pumps...

Quote Originally Posted by ziegi
    Hi,

That's what i was looking for, thanks. I'd be supported so only planning to carry a rucksack with essentials and water. I'd also not be alone, got another rider on a 'normal' mtb with me.

I take your point about the pump

ziegi
    I've been using a blackburn large frame pump. everything worked just fine for me this trip, EXCEPT the pump! how simple can a pump be right? well, as it seems i think the o-ring on the plunger shrunk. why? im not really sure. my thinking is that it was constantly exposed to temps from 95F to 45F. the result...well...the pump didnt work so well. uhh...how about thinking of 30+ miles of pave, loaded with squishy tyres. my fix...a few drops of chain lube oil, and fast pumping. eventually it got some PSI into the tyres. needles to say, my LBS gave me a new pump today as i rolled back into town. if i had it my way, i think i'd try to find a pump that uses the old school style leather plunger.
    www.AsanaCycles.com

local trails rider

mtbr member
    devo hit on something i found out yesterday. you need 8in discs when you are carting arround all that weight. yesterday i loaded up the kid and went for a ride in the new neighborhood. its got some hills but nothing more than a fireroad grade. going up no problem, but down i was on the brakes hard for the whole way. loaded bike and riders its got to be pushing 300lbs. i will be upgrading today to 8in.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Don't think i'll be loading it up like you guys seem to. Supported rides are where it's at for me or max 3 days out but hotel stopovers.

Going to buy me a 'fit for a Pugs' pump today. I would imagine it'd take a lonnng time with my ordinary mtb pump.

Out for a ride yesterday and nearly caused an accident as a kid on a motorbike turned to stare and the tractor coming the other way had to mount the kerb to miss him !

Great bike

ziegi

Devo
    post a pic :-)
    www.AsanaCycles.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Pics coming later

Members who have read this thread: 0