Beer Me!

Skull Monkey! The rebirth of my 2004 KM

Happy Valentines Day to my 2004 black Karate Monkey that I love dearly. After more than a month of work she has been reborn as my new hooligan bike for commuting, gravel grinding, monster crossing.

I did the paint job myself with a combo of naval grey with blue and purple glitter paint. I had custom decals made at https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheDecalDestination out of glitter black vinyl. I also ground off the old cable stops and had a local frame builder put on cable guides for disk brakes and dropper post. I did the harlequin wrap myself, spent maybe 30min figuring out the first half, and a frustrating hour and a half trying to get the second half to match. Only one day in and I am just as in love with bike as I always have been. Now it feels like a giant BMX bike. The Surly Extraterrestrial tires are amazing!!

Special thanks to my local shop Brave New Wheel for all the help!

Skull Monkey! The rebirth of my 2004 KM-img_5013.jpgSkull Monkey! The rebirth of my 2004 KM-img_5019.jpgSkull Monkey! The rebirth of my 2004 KM-img_5020.jpgSkull Monkey! The rebirth of my 2004 KM-img_5021.jpgSkull Monkey! The rebirth of my 2004 KM-img_5022.jpgSkull Monkey! The rebirth of my 2004 KM-img_5023.jpgSkull Monkey! The rebirth of my 2004 KM-img_5024.jpg

Deets on build:
    2004 KM Medium
    Sun Ringle Helix TR27 Rims
    Shimano Alfine 8 speed internal geared hub
    Sram 900 Front hub
    KMC stainless steel chain
    Surly Extraterestrial 29x2.5" tires
    Jones H Bar 710
    ESI Extra Chunk Grips
    Avid BB7 MTN-S disk brakes
    Race Face Chester Pedals
    Race Face EVOLVE SS Enduro Crank
    Easton Havoc 35mm stem
    Newbaoums Bar Tape
    Can Creek 40 Head set
    IRD RQR2 400mm Dropper Post
    Brooks Cambium C15 saddle
    "Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    This is more than kind of amazing. So cool to see a 13 year old frame turn in to this. Nice work on the colors and specs. Update with more pics when you're out on the trails/gravel; I'd love to see it in action.

Upcyclist
    Nice work! I love the attention to detail.

It just took me a minute to figure out what was going on in the second pic from the bottom. I thought you had some kind of custom saddle bag, lol!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Nice work! I love the attention to detail.

It just took me a minute to figure out what was going on in the second pic from the bottom. I thought you had some kind of custom saddle bag, lol!
    saddle nuts

Upcyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    The Surly Extraterrestrial tires are amazing!!
    I don't think I've seen these before. Can you tell me a little bit more? Like what types of trails you ride with them. What's their actual width?

I had a pair of cheap Serfas Sheriff (similar to Kenda Small Block) tires on an old 26" bike that replaced some really knobby Tiogas that came stock. I did this because I did a fair amount of road riding on that bike. I now have a 29"HT that I'd like to do something similar with. I could see riding a few road miles to a trail, then airing down a bit till I get back on the road, then give the tires a few pumps of air.

mtbr member
    I just realized I'm looking at a 1st generation KM with ET's! This answers my question about whether my 1st gen KM will fit ET's. Unfortunately, I need to buy some wider wheels first.

mtbr member
    Nicely done! I still have a 05. And a 14 and 2 15s. Really like monkeys

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    that is one fresh-o-licious monkey build!
    almost reminds me of a klein paint job just toned way way down...

Beer Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    I don't think I've seen these before. Can you tell me a little bit more? Like what types of trails you ride with them. What's their actual width?

I had a pair of cheap Serfas Sheriff (similar to Kenda Small Block) tires on an old 26" bike that replaced some really knobby Tiogas that came stock. I did this because I did a fair amount of road riding on that bike. I now have a 29"HT that I'd like to do something similar with. I could see riding a few road miles to a trail, then airing down a bit till I get back on the road, then give the tires a few pumps of air.
    I saw them on surly's website. They just became available again a couple weeks ago. They are great on the road, and do very well on hardpack trail. Thick sidewalls, and puncture protection. Mine setup tubless very easily.
    "Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself