Should I trade my Bianchi Sass for a Surly 1x1- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Should I trade my Bianchi Sass for a Surly 1x1

Let me know what you think. The Bianchi sass is a steel frame horizontal drop outs, rigid fork. Just curious to how the Bianchi Sass steel frame compares to the Surly 1X1. And why doesn'tbianchi singlespeed mt bikes have much of a fallowing. Seems that Suly 1X1 are one of the most popular ss mt bikes on this sight. Any way ah let me know what you think. Much appreciated..
    Thanks
    Last edited by singlespeed1; 03-17-2006 at 10:54 PM.

Not because I'm fast.....
    Quote Originally Posted by singlespeed1
    Let me know what you think. The Bianchi sass is a steel frame horizontal drop outs, rigid fork. Just curious to how the Bianchi Sass steel frame compares to the Surly 1X1. And why doesn'tbianchi singlespeed mt bikes have much of a fallowing. Seems that Suly 1X1 are one of the most popular ss mt bikes on this sight. Any way ah let me know what you think. Much appreciated..
    Thanks
    I don't really think I would get rid of the Bianchi frame for a Surly 1x1 just because you think the Surly is more popular. However, the 1x1 frame rides really nice though. Surly has a good following because they offer well designed frames that are versatile and ride really really nice for the price. Plus the guys at Surly offer top notch customer service too.

mtbr member
    Honestly, I don't think you'll be gaining anything by trading except something new -- not that there's anything wrong with getting something just for newness' sake! But you're comparing two mid-priced imported rigid chromoly frames, and I'd wager that there are far more similarities than differences. And both are good bikes! I've owned four Bianchis and two Surlys; they are, by far, my favorite two brands of bicycle.

As to the popularity issue, the Bianchi BOSS was one of the first mass-produced singlespeeds, and for many years they had the SS market virtually cornered. They've only fallen out of fashion because of the influx of other models from lots of other manufacturers. But if you ask people who have been riding singlespeed for longer than five or six years, I'll bet that over half of them will have had a Bianchi in their garage at one time or another.

Surly is popular because they make stuff that works very well at a very attractive price, and because virtually any shop in the USA can get them; they're partners with one of the largest parts distributors in the nation.

Ride what you like, like what you ride!

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Wink

I agree, but really, it's like asking a salesman if you need a new car. "Yes, if that's what you want to hear."

Do what you want to, if you're interested in test riding a 1x1, post your locale, and size of frame needed, and we'll try to help you out.

mtbr member
    Rediculous. Why trade the Bianchi steel for the bottom end 4130 cromoly? The sass is also disc specific, the 1x1 has v brake bosses and disc which is wack.
    Creative Producer, Will of the Sun, Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ views WoS

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Wow, you just revived a 2.5 year old thread.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Revival!

And another thing... these bikes just won't die. SASS is awesome

mtbr member
    With the bug (you know what I'm talking about!), one can easily overbuild a bike frame. You see it all the time on the forums, people putting Chris King wheelsets on bottom end heavy basic 4130 steel frames (Monocog, Surly, etc.). Overbuilding a low end frame is bittersweet in hindsight.

I learned an important lesson parting out the Super Gold track bike built by Igleheart. Built with Italian Niobium Columbus alloy steel, triple butted. It's the frame that is the most important part of a bike. Building on that is like caring for the heart of a human. Invest in a dope frame, then build it up with the best parts.

I am extremely turned off by the 29er movement (G2 geometry, etc) with sloping top tubes (made for short riders who can't heave their stumpy legs over the top tube -sorry). I feel like pissing on 29ers sometimes. The Bianchi SASS is Italian built with chromed out, TIG-welded, Dedaccai "ZeroUno" "COM 12.5" steel alloy tubing. It's something you want to hold onto - classic geometry, horizontal top tube...

Creative Producer, Will of the Sun, Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ views WoS

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The 1x1 is cool, but my SASS has been the weapon of choice in the woods since getting it for Christmas 3 yrs back!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0