Servicing NEW Disc Hubs- Mtbr.com
    KuskoRiverCruiser

New question here. Servicing NEW Disc Hubs

Anyone running their hubs in cold (below 0F ambient) weather? How they holding up?
    Suggestions?

ML
    Martin
    "The pursuit of truth and adventure is far more noble a task than looking for work",
    http://fatbikealaska.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Well, not quite that cold, but when I first got my Hope XC hubs, the rear would occasionally make a clunk as if it skipped once as I would start pedaling when the temps was below freezing. Fortunately Hope hubs are very easy to service, so I just took the freewheel mechanism apart, cleaned it and regreased with Englund Slick Honey. With regular service (again, it's very easy so it's not really even an inconvenience) they have not skipped a single time in over two years since then.

I just built up a rear wheel with a Shimano 756 disc hub that has clunked a number of times when cool out (again, maybe around freezing or a little below), but seems to be ok when it's a little warmer. Not much to service with Shimano; I guess if it becomes a problem I will have to buck up and buy a replacement freewheel for it This is the only Shimano hub that has given me any problems in almost 15 years of MTBing, including -20°F commutes (Brrr!!!).

Members who have read this thread: 0