Question for tall 1x1 owners- Mtbr.com
    Riding up to get down

Question for tall 1x1 owners

Folks, I have been bit by the SS bug and am looking at the 1x1 for my new ride. But my current bike and the 1x1 seem to be quite different and I need some input as to which frame size to purchase and love.

My specs: 6' 3", wt. 200, 36 inseam

Current set up: 21.5", with effective top tube of 25.2 and stand over of 32.7

Surly 1x1: from Surly

Large: 20.0", effective tt 23.6 and SO of 31.8
    X-large: 22.0", effective tt 24.2 and SO of 33.1

I think the X-large is the way to go, but when I spoke with Surly, they said that the large may ride more like my current bike I would appreciate any and all input from people who ride or have ridden the large or x-large.

Thanks for the help.

Z

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I'm at the other end of the height scale but Surly measure seat tubes different to others (see my topic below). Their 20" will measure more like a 21.25" c-t. Seems you would have no issue with standover on the XL and the top tube would be a better length. They do build them sort of quirky - high and short - the opposite of most companies bikes nowadays.

Riding up to get down
    Quote Originally Posted by felixdale
    I'm at the other end of the height scale but Surly measure seat tubes different to others (see my topic below). Their 20" will measure more like a 21.25" c-t. Seems you would have no issue with standover on the XL and the top tube would be a better length. They do build them sort of quirky - high and short - the opposite of most companies bikes nowadays.
    Sweet! Thanks for the insight. I will give the XL the green light and

I was a bit puzzled by the differences, but it makes sense now that you let me know that their frames are different than the norm.

Not because I'm fast.....

input

I'm just about 6'5" and rode a 22" XL 1x1 with no problems. I had a 130mm Thomson stem and the frame fit me surprisingly well. Great riding bike, especially for the money. Drove it into the garage....RIP. Currently have a 22" Monkey and a 62cm Cross Check. I dig my Surly bikes
    Attached Images Attached Images

Riding up to get down
    Quote Originally Posted by 2farfwd
    I'm just about 6'5" and rode a 22" XL 1x1 with no problems. I had a 130mm Thomson stem and the frame fit me surprisingly well. Great riding bike, especially for the money. Drove it into the garage....RIP. Currently have a 22" Monkey and a 62cm Cross Check. I dig my Surly bikes
    Love the photo. I am very excited to get the XL, build it up and go for a ride and then another and another; well you get the idea.

mtbr member

Tall (not long) Surly frames

I am 6' 5" with 38" inseam. My new 22" Pugsley is no longer (from seat tip to bars) than my other 21" MTB but the seatpost extends far less. I still have to slide the seat back on the rails and have a 120mm stem. The main difference is the comfort achieved by having a higher handlebar relative to the seat.
    22inch_Pug.jpg

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    FWIW I'm 6'1 w/34" inseam 175lbs and really long arms (call me monkeyboy). I ride an XL 1x1 that rides like it fits me like a glove. When I was sizing a CrossCheck and talked to Surly Galactic Headquarters the guy I talked to couldn't believe I was so comfy on the XL and told me "all bets are off" when it comes to sizing a CrossCheck. (I got a different CX bike BTW).

To OP: I'd go with XL
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Gravy Boat Regatta
    Though by now, I'm sure the OP has ordered up the XL - Let me add this for future buyers.

6'4", 36.5" inseam, 205lbs. L monkey. I love the fit (thanks meantodd for the suggestion). FWIW - my old bike is a 6" travel, upright riding, bike. I'm not into the stretched out XC position some love.

Riding it single, if that matters (not sure it does).
    Hi

Riding up to get down

Yup...

I actually found a built up XL for a wee bit more than the price of a new frame. I will need to make some minor changes, but then it will be good to go. I tell you it is a killer waiiting for it to arrive.

Members who have read this thread: 0