pug size question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

pug size question

how do you pug owners find the fit with the 3.7 tires. did you get a smaller size frame to make up for it. im 5'11' w/32 inseam. i am thinking of a large.

No, that's not phonetic
    I'm your size and inseam and got an 18" with a 120mm stem. I'm thinking about dropping down to a 110 stem. The fit is great overall and cannot imagine a 20" bike.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    surly told me 18 too. i guss with the tires it adds a lot of size. i had 3.0 gazzys on my dh bike for years. i cant wait to rock the 3.7s

mtbr member
    i went with the 18. it should be here tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit
    i went with the 18. it should be here tomorrow.

I built one up of each and am also 5'11" and allthough i could easily fit both i honestly prefer riding the 20" size. Seems to be a bit more stable or something like along those lines. Stand over wasn't an issue on the 20, and a 110mm stem fit me fine.

a couple of pics

1. the 20"
    2. the 18"

i know neither shot give a decent idea of the size, but what the heck.

3. side by side

great comparison shot ...eh ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'm 6'2" with a 36" inseam. I have a 22" Pugs that I feel fits me well. I think the bike is larger than most would suggest that I ride but I like the fit. For me the standover is sufficient but not spacious. You would probably fit on the 20" without much of a problem. Just look at the standover for the different Pugs and the top tube to see what works best for you.
    I am new to mountain biking so my idea of fit maybe inapproiate.
    Craig

mtbr member
    i compared the numbers against my 01 enduro. it is the only bike i have ever kept for more than a year because it fit so good. the TT and SO are the same on both. also i am going to run a baby seat on it. i hope it works out, if not i will have a good deal on a frame.

Baked Alaskan
    I think I'm the odd man out, but I'm 6'2" and I have an 18" pugs. The standover on the 20" was a little too close to the jewels for comfort. I posted this once before, but I just imagined getting stuck in some soft snow and clanging the boyz on the TT when I put a foot down. Not fun.

I'm running a 110mm stem and risers plus a post with a setback clamp that scoots things back another about ~25mm (Maxm) -- a little shorter and more upright than your typical XC geek/roadie wannabe position. But this is primarily a snowbike for me, so being up and back is a good thing in terms of traction and not putting too much weight on the front.

The ideal (custom) setup would be the same standover as the 18" with a TT about 1.5" longer and a short stem for that Fisher-like geometry. But I'm thinking about putting together a 6-Pack, so no dice on anything custom for awhile.

Also, my other ride is a 5-Spot, and that has a really low slung TT. So I may have just subconsciously been more comfortable with the size that approximated the Spot's standover. But I don't feel like I made the wrong decision, even though the numbers say I did.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

mtbr member
    thats the problem with a bike like the pug no one has one built just sitting on a shop floor. i do plan on using the mav fork and thud buster post so they will add some height also. im gonna try a 75mm stem with 2in riser bars for a nice upright position first. i got a lot of old bars and stems to play with so i should be good. anyway picking it up tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Built up Pugs on the show room floor

Alpha Bikes in Greenwood Village (Denver Tech Center) Colorado has a few sizes built up and ready to go. I don't know what sizes they have, just saw them as I was buying a wrench.
    Mark

No, that's not phonetic
    I just can't see sizing a bike like this the same as an xc hardtail anyway. This thing is made for slow-speed crud-crawling. The last thing I want when slogging through snow or sand is to be layed out like a Norba racer dude. I actually find the Surly top tubes to be pretty long in a given size, all things considered. Why they didn't drop the heck out of the top tubes is a mystery though.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    a drop tube like on the instigator would be great. i friend had one with 24x3 gazzys on doublewides. it was too small for me, but the gazzys were dogs.

Members who have read this thread: 0