Painting my Monkey- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Painting my Monkey

Okay, I'm getting tired of that green on my KM and looking to go with a different color (maybe brown). Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm hoping not to have to send it back to Surly but I know with my other bike it would void the warranty if someone else painted it.

Also, does anyone have any idea how much they cost?

Thanks

Cold Blooded
    I am pretty sure Surly will not paint it for you. If you are looking for a high quality job look into Vicious Cycles. I have seen quite a few of their custom jobs and they are amazing. Otherwise I am sure your local shop could advise you.

lord of my world
    If you just want a simple color, call up you local powder coater, though you may have to strip the paint your self. good luck

Poorly Disguised Poser

wow

What manufacturer says the warranty is void?

I can see them not liking various types of media blasting because it stresses certain materials (never sand blast aluminum for example). But the paint its self should not weaken a frame...but manufacturers can limit their warrantys any way they want I guess.

Surlys are built like a brick outhouse. I think as long as you have someone who is experienced with stripping bicycles, you will be fine.
    My ego is bigger and better looking than yours.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by unit
    What manufacturer says the warranty is void?
    Thanks for all the responses, I had a TREK Carbon frame I was thinking about repainting a while back. I inquired about it and was told I had to get it painted through TREK if I wanted to keep my warranty, they charged like $400 or so..........I chose not to paint it.

Now that I know this I will check with the local shops around there, thanks again

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni

Powder coat

Your frame is powder coated so when you have it refinished they will first have to "burn" off the old coat. I couldn't deal with the purple color they put on the Pugsleys so I hade my frame refinished and it cost around $160(frame and fork). This included both the removal and application of the powder coating and it came out really good.
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

Members who have read this thread: 0