No more Krampus at Surly site!- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bullit_cn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,938

    No more Krampus at Surly site!

    So does it mean a new version is coming?

    The Krampus Ops is still there though...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,271
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullit_cn View Post
    So does it mean a new version is coming?

    The Krampus Ops is still there though...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We should know more in Sept/Oct.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    362
    The Karate monkey has been redesigned with the Wednesday style dropouts, and I think that eventually both the Krampus and the Ice Cream Truck will be redesigned using the same dropouts.

    Although the Wednesday dropouts look like regular track dropouts, they have a cut out on the inside which let's you take off and put on the wheel just like a vertical dropout. It's very easy.

    Secondly the Wednesday style drop is probably more reliable and has more lateral strength than the MDS system.

    And, the Wednesday dropout as presented on the new Karate Monkey should be able to handle all the popular hub sizes; 135QR, 142TA, 148TA.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    14,101
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullit_cn View Post
    So does it mean a new version is coming?

    The Krampus Ops is still there though...
    I'm sure a new version is coming, but if you recall the green Krampus had "Limited Quantity Left" or some such thing noted on the product page for the last year. They just sold them all and took down the product page.

    I fairly agnostic on the type of rear dropouts as long as we get short CS. If you give me sweet dropouts and long CS that's not particularly of interest to me.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikepunk13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I'm sure a new version is coming, but if you recall the green Krampus had "Limited Quantity Left" or some such thing noted on the product page for the last year. They just sold them all and took down the product page.

    I fairly agnostic on the type of rear dropouts as long as we get short CS. If you give me sweet dropouts and long CS that's not particularly of interest to me.
    There is still a ton of small completes left and some small frames.

    Would definitely like to see a short CS. I am more of a fan of a fixed position drop out I would warm up to the horizontal with a nice integrated tensioner, even just a simple rear facing thumb screw type. Right now I'm just hoping the new one isn't so much better that I want to swap out the frame on my couple month old Ops for the new one.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    14,101
    Quote Originally Posted by bikepunk13 View Post
    Right now I'm just hoping the new one isn't so much better that I want to swap out the frame on my couple month old Ops for the new one.
    I'm looking forward to a bigger ST so I can run a "normal" diameter dropper.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    362
    I think there is stronger economics for surly to standardize with just the one dropout on all their bikes.

    They did a great job of introducing the Wednesday at 1499 vs the original price on the ICT at $2700. I think the ICT has dropped some to around $2400; but they really need to get that pricing to a little bit more than the Wednesday. Let's say an ICT in the
    $1599 range. And a new krampus in the same range as the Wednesday - $1499.

    So, that's why I think it makes sense for Surly to unify to one dropout.

  8. #8
    Not really fixed.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    169
    Surly was very clear that the Wednesday was designed in a way to be cheaper to maufacture. The lack of a seat tube brace, the dropouts, etc. were all done to make it cheaper to make frames. The KM adopting the same points makes it obvious that the bikes on the "mountain bike" side of things will likely all share those features. I expect the new Krampus to have the same dropouts and styling as the KM/Wednesday, just... bigger...

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coastkid71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,151
    If you don`t mind a 100mm BB then just buy a Wednesday frame set, you get dam near the same ride, and you get all the bike packing cage mounts and it takes a 4" wide frame bag, the width of gas stove cylinders and water bottles

    I have went from the Pugsley 29+ `KramPug` concept to specific 29+ Surly ECR and Krampus Frames and now sold them and gone back to the KramPug 29+ option and getting a 27.5 3" wheel set for the Wednesday- same handling but 3" fat for trails
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    14,101
    Quote Originally Posted by coastkid71 View Post
    If you don`t mind a 100mm BB then just buy a Wednesday frame set, you get dam near the same ride, and you get all the bike packing cage mounts and it takes a 4" wide frame bag, the width of gas stove cylinders and water bottles
    If you want a fat bike as well that makes total sense. If you just want 29+ all the fatbike specific parts (BB, cranks & hubs) are expensive and unnecessary.

    One of the great things about the Krampus is that it uses normal bike parts that you can swap over from another bike or buy inexpensively.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,117
    Quote Originally Posted by coastkid71 View Post
    If you don`t mind a 100mm BB then just buy a Wednesday frame set, you get dam near the same ride, and you get all the bike packing cage mounts and it takes a 4" wide frame bag, the width of gas stove cylinders and water bottles

    I have went from the Pugsley 29+ `KramPug` concept to specific 29+ Surly ECR and Krampus Frames and now sold them and gone back to the KramPug 29+ option and getting a 27.5 3" wheel set for the Wednesday- same handling but 3" fat for trails
    Interesting...are you just going 29+ and 27.5+ and getting rid of the 4"? If so, do you feel the 3" is the best of both worlds?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by racefit View Post
    Interesting...are you just going 29+ and 27.5+ and getting rid of the 4"? If so, do you feel the 3" is the best of both worlds?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I too would like to know as I have a Krampus Ops on order

  13. #13
    CS2
    CS2 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CS2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,942
    IMO Surly has too many bikes that do the same thing. As the KM gets more versatile it really eliminates the need for an Ogre and krampus. The same holds true for all the fat bikes. It's cheaper to make fewer models but more of them. Don't forget Surly is having financial difficulty. They need to makes sure what they design will sell.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Flash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    422
    Bummer but that's the east it goes. Loved my Krampus and hoped to get another.

    Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,117

    No more Krampus at Surly site!

    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    IMO Surly has too many bikes that do the same thing.
    Isn't this true of most bike companies?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    14,101
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Bummer but that's the east it goes. Loved my Krampus and hoped to get another.

    Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    There will be a new Krampus released shortly. Not to worry.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    14,101
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    As the KM gets more versatile it really eliminates the need for an Ogre and krampus.
    If the KM can't take 29+ rims and tires I'd agree, but if it can't then it makes sense to keep both the KM and Krampus.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Flash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    422
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    There will be a new Krampus released shortly. Not to worry.
    Nice!

    Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. Surly Krampus
    By messofzero in forum 26+/27.5+/29+ Plus Bikes
    Replies: 4977
    Last Post: 3 Days Ago, 04:21 PM
  2. Surly Krampus as 27.5+
    By OfficerFriendly in forum 26+/27.5+/29+ Plus Bikes
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 08-17-2016, 12:17 PM
  3. Surly Krampus
    By rc mike in forum Photography for mountain bikers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-21-2015, 10:27 AM
  4. Surly Krampus Ops !stolen!
    By Tryology in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-19-2015, 07:40 PM
  5. Stolen Surly Krampus
    By hirschmj in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 03-05-2015, 08:40 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.