mtbr member
    Sep 2012

New Surly Suggestions

I bought a new Wednesday so that I could have something "slow" to ride with my wife and to use to pull the kids in the chariot. But I've recently took it out on some singletrack and I think I'm hooked on Surly products. I'm primarily a roadie on carbon but the scene has gotten stale to me, so I'm thinking of a new Surly steel bike.

I can't decide on a new KM or Krampus. I just saw in another thread that 29+ fits the new KM so I'm even more confused. I'm basically looking for something snappier and more agile than my Wednesday. The chain stay length in a small Krampus appears to be the same as my Wed which has me leaning towards the KM.

I ride primarily in the front range of CO and I'm not interested in having multiple wheel sets at this point. The Farley 9.6 and Stache 7 are mighty tempting too.

Tia

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Your Wednesday will do 29+ as well, in case you change your mind on the whole multiple wheelsets thing.

A KM will be snappier than a Krampus. Both are very fun bikes though!

FWIW, my Wednesday is barely slower than my carbon Santa Cruz Tallboy. Within 15-30 seconds on most loops, and in some cases faster. Donít discount upgrades to the Wednesday, itís a killer bike. That doesnít help with new bike fever though, so get a KM too
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I love my Surly bikes. I have an Ogre and a Krampus. I chose the Krampus over the Karate Monkey due to the fact it was made for 29x3. At the time I wasnít sure if the 29+ would fit the KM without having to make some adjustments. I wanted to run them slammed forward. Seems like there are plenty of pics of KMís running 29+ with no issues. Iíd go that way if choosing between those 2. The Rhymes with Orange is sweet.

That said, if I were to do it all over again, Iíd have a Wednesday with multiple wheel sets. A fat set for running in the winter and softer conditions and a 29Ē with 35-40mm rims to run a variety of tires for single track and gravel/road rides. Just my opinion.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I have a large purple karate monkey built up pretty nice I might be needing to sell. I'm on the front range too. PM me if interested

Sorry for the spam

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    KM Rhymes With Orange incoming later in the week. I can't wait! Getting the fork switched out, going tubeless and wider bars and I think that's it. My Wednesday will go as fat as possible and stay fat. Thanks for the advice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Sweet man. Youíll love it. Congrats.