New to Pugsley - Suspension Fork? Front Wheel?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

New to Pugsley - Suspension Fork? Front Wheel?

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of building up a Pugsley so I can ride during the snowy winter days and the sandy summer days. Can anyone recommend a decent suspension fork that can be used with this frame and accomodate the ultra fat tires?

I'd also like to know what kind of hubs do people use for their front wheel? I thought most front wheels had an axle width of 100mm but the Pugsley requires 135mm. Is the front wheel built up with a rear hub then? I guess it would work although it would look a little odd.

Thanks!

-- Boris

No, that's not phonetic
    Here is what you want:

It is a Maverick SC32 with a 29er limiter spacer installed. I built it up with a Hope Pro II hub (110mm spacing and using Hope's 24mm thru axle for Maverick forks) and Large Marge rim. The Endomorph is 92mm wide at the widest point and the fork has 101mm of clearance at the narrowest point. I have yet to have the tire rub in any way on the fork. There are a lot more pics in the thread I linked to above.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The pugs comes with a rigid fork that has 135mm spacing (so you can have a spare rear wheel essentially). That's why it "requires" a rear hub on the front. Change the fork and you can use whatever hub you want.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    If you use the rigid fork included then you need a 135mm rear hub. A Surly single speed hub works well here. The 4" tire really provides alot of suspension and may make a suspension fork unnecessary especially on snow or sand. However if you do get a suspension fork then you will need to use a standard front hub like the fork is designed for.
    Craig

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks for everyone's response! :-)

Now I have to ask... where is a good place to buy a Pugsley frame and Large Marge wheels?

-- Boris

No, that's not phonetic
    I got my Pugs and parts from Larry at Mountain High Cyclery. I got the Mav SC32 fork from Chad at Red Barn Bicycles. Both are highly respected, great to work with, and have great prices. Larry is my main parts pimp. If you want to contact them, just google the shop names. They do mail order.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

loco
    You can also buy them at Alpha bikes in Centennial. (Arapahoe and yosemite) They are definetely cool over there and will have everything you will need.
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." (Ferris Bueller)

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Your favorite LBS can order Surly products from the QBP catalog. So thats what I would recommend.
    Craig

Members who have read this thread: 0