mtbr member
    Aug 2018

New Karate Monkey

Spotted this on the Surly website this morning. I'll just leave this here...

https://surlybikes.com/bikes/karate_monkey
    Saying that you "hate" or are an "unapologetic critic" of a bike company doesn't make you insightful or interesting.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Prototype View Post
    Spotted this on the Surly website this morning. I'll just leave this here...

https://surlybikes.com/bikes/karate_monkey
    You mean that someone drank too much lemon lime soda and had to use the blue porta potty?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Hahaaaaaa , saw what you did there. TBH , I kinda like both of those colors.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    It appears no changes besides the colors. I really like the blue. I like my "Rhymes with Orange" a lot as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    It appears no changes besides the colors. I really like the blue. I like my "Rhymes with Orange" a lot as well.
    Different wheelset and bars.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Is Surly going to use a different color for the 29er single speed complete bike ? I keep checking their website and it still lists the stand back purple for the complete bike and the black for the frame only version.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bankofdad View Post
    Is Surly going to use a different color for the 29er single speed complete bike ? I keep checking their website and it still lists the stand back purple for the complete bike and the black for the frame only version.
    i believe the purple ss was sold out a while back...
    i can't believe I'm riding a bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    My curiosity got the best of me, so I emailed Surly about the 29er single speed as a complete bike, they got back to me as of now no complete 29er ss which makes sense since most would build what they want componet wise when they buy just a frame set.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Here is the green

New Karate Monkey-96102.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rmrfstar View Post
    You mean that someone drank too much lemon lime soda and had to use the blue porta potty?
    That sounds like something Surly would do on purpose. Anyone remember 'drink more water' Steamroller yellow?

Glad I have the purple monkey. Though I love the new purple metallic Krampus.
    2018 Surly Karate Monkey 'dingle' speed
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    That sounds like something Surly would do on purpose. Anyone remember 'drink more water' Steamroller yellow?

Glad I have the purple monkey. Though I love the new purple metallic Krampus.
    Is that the 'Stand back purple' that's on the karate monkey ss? That is sharp looking for sure! I wish I had room for one in my stable , haha.
    Saying that you "hate" or are an "unapologetic critic" of a bike company doesn't make you insightful or interesting.

mtbr member
    I have a 142x12 rear and 100x15 front hubs at present. I know the rear will fit without much hassle, but I might need a tugnut type thing. does the frameset come with boost spacing, and what would be the best solution to making my front hub fit in that fork if so? can I beg Surly to trade me a non-boost fork?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    fronts are 12x110
    i can't believe I'm riding a bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    It's 110x15. I've been using one of these boost adapters on my front hub for well over a year without any problems.
    https://problemsolversbike.com/produ...ooster_-_k5143

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Please Surly, just a little bit slacker head tube. Would a 67.5* head angle like on the Instigator hurt anything or just make it a proper modern handling bike?

mtbr member
    what's the head tube angle on a KM with a 140mm fork? I'll bet it's pretty darn slack.

not everything needs to be a slacked out endurobro trail sled. the KM is one of the few bikes in its class that still holds its own as an XC bike for the rest of us who don't shuttle run in the mountains.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I went pretty slack on the Riot, but came back around to not so slack on my Krampus with a 100mm Yari - better handling on the flat trails of Illinois. Back out East, it'd be scary, I think, but here... perfect.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by PUGlife View Post
    Please Surly, just a little bit slacker head tube. Would a 67.5* head angle like on the Instigator hurt anything or just make it a proper modern handling bike?
    Yo Bro...just get a Works Components Angleset. You can slacken a 44mm HT up to 2 degrees...I think(at least...maybe it's a bit more than that).

mtbr member
    Does anybody know if theyíre going to release a 2019 KM SS?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    No complete SS 29er for 2019, you can purchase a frame set so you can build what you want or purchase a complete 27.5 geared bike and convert it to a SS.

banned
    Nov 2017
    Meh

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I always felt like they had the SS on the wrong wheelset. I thought that a 27.5+ SS would be cool.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I always felt like they had the SS on the wrong wheelset. I thought that a 27.5+ SS would be cool.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman29 View Post
    Kona Unit! Sorry for saying that here
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    If that had been for sale a couple months ago when the orange ones were sold out and the black ones were the only color, I might have bought one. I'm happy enough with my Timberjack that Surly likely won't have another chance at me for a long time. :-/

banned
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman29 View Post
    SS mo bettah with big hoops. Roll ovah, contact patch and all that. 27.5+ is and feels smaller. Krampus SS? Now we're talkin.

mtbr member
    I'm just pissed there won't be a 2019 SS for sale. It's hard enough to get permission from the wife to buy a new bike. Somehow I don't think she'll understand that I'd have to buy a frame . . . . then a wheelset, crankset, brakes, etc!!!
    1992 Trek 800 Antelope
    2009 Haro Mary SS
    2015 Trek Stache 7
    2017 Trek Fuel EX 9

banned
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by V8Interceptor View Post
    I'm just pissed there won't be a 2019 SS for sale. It's hard enough to get permission from the wife to buy a new bike. Somehow I don't think she'll understand that I'd have to buy a frame . . . . then a wheelset, crankset, brakes, etc!!!
    Haha you don't need all that stuff. Just buy the complete then buy a SS spacer kit and a single cog, pull the cassette, pull the derailleur, shifter, cable, and shorten the chain and yer done. Cost less than fifty bucks.👍

mtbr member
    yeah, but doesn't the shifty shifty km cost quite a bit more than the ss km?
    1992 Trek 800 Antelope
    2009 Haro Mary SS
    2015 Trek Stache 7
    2017 Trek Fuel EX 9

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

New Karate Monkey

I just put my 2012 SS rigid KM back together again after 2yrs on a FS Stumpjumper. I forgot how telepathic the steering is, the bike just goes where I point it, and how simple a machine the KM is. Yeah, itís a rougher ride but it has also highlighted that Iíve gotten a little sloppy. The one improvement I can see on the new one is the ability to run a dropper post, something Iíve come to enjoy on my FS. The head angle on the 2012 is 71 with an offset of 43mm, the new one 69 with an offset of 47. Iíd hate to lose that nice intuitive feel and replace it with something that has wheel flop, which my Stumpy has a little bit of.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Okay, I may have to take back my previous statement. While the 67* Instigator does rip downhill, there are definite drawbacks when climbing, especially climbing tight switchbacks. The Wednesday is at about 68* with suspension fork and is much more nimble in the trees while not giving up much downhill.

TL;DR---There may be a new KM in the future.

banned
    Nov 2017
    Okay, I may have to take back my previous statement. While the 67* Instigator does rip downhill, there are definite drawbacks when climbing, especially climbing tight switchbacks. The Wednesday is at about 68* with suspension fork and is much more nimble in the trees while not giving up much downhill.

Ding ding ding!!!! Slack HTA is actually pretty dang limiting in many trail riding scenarios. I went 68 degree HTA with a Honzo and enjoyed it very much, until I sold that and got a specialized Epic HT with 69.8 degrees HTA. Quicker and more nimble than the honzo in so many situations and the Epic climbs way better and just generally pedals way better. So the koolaid that was 68 and 415 chainstays was trumped by 69.8 and 430 chainstays. The terrain is very technical and steep.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    It just got real today

New Karate Monkey-dce420c1-1fc3-4702-af69-7d436972ce3d.jpg

Chicken Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rtl3341 View Post
    It just got real today

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCE420C1-1FC3-4702-AF69-7D436972CE3D.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	1214219
    That colour seems to be very similar to the Pea Lime Pie Troll

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    It just got real today

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCE420C1-1FC3-4702-AF69-7D436972CE3D.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	1214219
    More pics of paint please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Delete me

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by racefit View Post
    More pics of paint please

Whatcha want to see on it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Whatcha want to see on it?
    Unwrapped and out of the box would be nice

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Prototype View Post
    Is that the 'Stand back purple' that's on the karate monkey ss? That is sharp looking for sure! I wish I had room for one in my stable , haha.
    Yeah, it is! Very colorful. I should post an updated photo.
    2018 Surly Karate Monkey 'dingle' speed
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

mtbr member
    How much does the new geared KM sell for?
    1992 Trek 800 Antelope
    2009 Haro Mary SS
    2015 Trek Stache 7
    2017 Trek Fuel EX 9

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I wonder why they switched from the Alex rims to Scrapers (or "scrappers" as they call them)?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I'm honestly really surprised I'm still on my Alex MD40... it started denting and going wobbly in the first few rides, but I keep truing it and it keeps running... so I ride it.

The MD40 is an OEM only rim in most sizes. The Scraper is a rim I pretty much only hear good things about... seems like an upgrade to me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Amazon has 27.5 Mulefut 50 rims for $34. Sun Ringle must be discontinuing that rim.

I think the Mulefut is a nice strong rim. You can also get a 148x12 Mulefut 50 27.5 rear wheel for $150 and a front for $100. You can seal mulefuts rather well with gorilla tap on the inside if you want tubeless.

This is not 27.5 related, but I had a pair of Stan's Hugo's on my Niner ROS 9 Plus. I replaced them with Mulefut 50 29. Those Stan Hugo's I think were the worst rim ever designed. If you ever look at a crosscut picture of the rim you can see what I mean.

AKA Pat McGroin
    Mar 2008
    Still looking for any riding impressions of the new KM with 29" wheels. Anybody ride one yet?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    It's not all that new... Check the KM thread.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky View Post
    Still looking for any riding impressions of the new KM with 29" wheels. Anybody ride one yet?
    I love mine. It's not the lightest mtb in the fleet nor is it the fastest. It is by far the funnest. What kind of ride impression were you looking for?

https://i.imgur.com/4YpxP5o.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2017

KM with a 140 for splits the difference. I have never really wished for a steeper HA. I have ridden slacker bikes and it seems like 65* would be too slack for climbing. 66-68 seems like where it's at, for me.

Love my KM. Missing riding it after work now that daylight savings kicked in.