Midnight Special- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Midnight Special

Does anyone have this bike? Care to give a review, post pictures?

I thought I saw a MS thread awhile ago, but perhaps people were just discussing the new offering.

Regardless, there needs to be a thread.
    2018 Surly Karate Monkey 'dingle' speed
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I do. I use it for commuting, gravel, and road. Rides great, very comfy handling is awesome too. It is heavy for a road bike so it is definitely not designed for racing. It handles the bags I mount for commuting really well too. Really fun all around bike as long as you arenít racing competitively. I run WTB Byways in place of the OEM Horizons. They are great on anything from dry pavement to mellow singletrack. For commuting I have the surly 6-pack rack, Surly petite porteur house bag, and a Relavate pika saddle bag. This combo fits a full flight suit or other uniform, combat boots, lunch, shower stuff, and all the odds and ends I need for work.

Otherwise it is the factory build, I like the Sram Rival 22 and TRP Spyre brakes just fine. Debating getting a lighter weight wheelset though, the stock alex rims are ok but heavy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    That's a nice set-up. I'd like one, someday.
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I got mine at the end of summer, and I am very happy with it. The front end is a little too steep for too wild off road, but the tires are like magic when you get the psi right. On road it is a rocket for what it is. It is faster than my carboner diverge with 700x38c triggers on the road. Partly the wheels I'm thinking, but I love the bike for road and smooth two track, light off road.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnZ3mcFh...d=bhl7oeh4c1rh

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bronxbomber252 View Post
    I do. I use it for commuting, gravel, and road. Rides great, very comfy handling is awesome too. It is heavy for a road bike so it is definitely not designed for racing. It handles the bags I mount for commuting really well too. Really fun all around bike as long as you arenít racing competitively. I run WTB Byways in place of the OEM Horizons. They are great on anything from dry pavement to mellow singletrack. For commuting I have the surly 6-pack rack, Surly petite porteur house bag, and a Relavate pika saddle bag. This combo fits a full flight suit or other uniform, combat boots, lunch, shower stuff, and all the odds and ends I need for work.

Otherwise it is the factory build, I like the Sram Rival 22 and TRP Spyre brakes just fine. Debating getting a lighter weight wheelset though, the stock alex rims are ok but heavy.

Very nice bike! What size is it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    56cm

mtbr member

Midnight Special

Thank you.
    I am looking for a size 54 as Surly normally have short headtubes on their CC and Stragglers...I think the MS has a slightly longer HT

When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullit_cn View Post
    Thank you.
    I am looking for a size 54 as Surly normally have short headtubes on their CC and Stragglers...I think the MS has a slightly longer HT

Do you usually use a 56?

The MNS has a shorter reach and higher stack than the Straggler and CC. That doesn't necessarliy mean you need a different size. Looking at head tube height only works if stack is the same, and they are not. I can compare them accurately if I know which size fits best in CC or Straggler.
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

mtbr member
    Awesome bike. Upgraded the wheelset, didn't even ride the stock Alex rims/Formula hubs, but the Stans Crest and DT Swiss 350 are great. Swapped the Horizons for Byways, and they are great on pavement and light dirt. I've taken the bike on singletrack and it is fun when it's not too hairy, but the Byways do well enough considering it's a road bike on slickish gravel tires. I have considered a faster rolling mountain bike tire like a Nano or something.
    it's a challenge some of us are ultimately worthy of.

mtbr member
    Does anyone know if a new MS color is about to drop? Did they show a new color at Frostbike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by islander View Post
    Does anyone know if a new MS color is about to drop? Did they show a new color at Frostbike?
    It's about time. White is close to my least-favorite color for bikes.

Also after two consecutive model years the Hot Mayo MS is a fairly common sight on the streets of Portland. Clearly it's a big success here, would be nice to have a different color option if I bought one to replace my Cross Check.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slopvehicle View Post
    It's about time. White is close to my least-favorite color for bikes.

Also after two consecutive model years the Hot Mayo MS is a fairly common sight on the streets of Portland. Clearly it's a big success here, would be nice to have a different color option if I bought one to replace my Cross Check.

The bike is only actually about one year old. You've seen it in person, eh? I don't love white bikes either, but it's got a nice pearly sheen to it, and I was really impressed with the color.
    it's a challenge some of us are ultimately worthy of.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tyriverag View Post
    The bike is only actually about one year old. You've seen it in person, eh? I don't love white bikes either, but it's got a nice pearly sheen to it, and I was really impressed with the color.
    Two MODEL years old, both the same color, yawn.

Yes I've seen 'em in person several times. It's okay but I'd like a darker shade.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I just picked up a 2017 MS - Iím looking for a Carbon Fork - what is the best inexpensive option? Thx