Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718
Results 1,701 to 1,753 of 1753
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    ...and nothing like sliding in your new seatpost into your new frame and finding out there is a burr in there you have to file out.... ugh...
    Let's see your KM builds-8b27bddc-b86c-4de3-abea-e427a8f25ab7.jpg

Wanna ride bikes?
    ^ that'll teach ya. Bummer, at least it's down low and hopefully you have the seatpost in the frame deep enough that it's hidden. Otherwise a Sharpie will help.

Could be worse, at least it's not carbon.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    You’re gonna grease that too, after your test fit, right?
    I apologize if your reaction is “no shit Sherlock”, as mine would be if someone said that to me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rtl3341 View Post
    ...and nothing like sliding in your new seatpost into your new frame and finding out there is a burr in there you have to file out.... ugh...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8B27BDDC-B86C-4DE3-ABEA-E427A8F25AB7.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	147.3 KB 
ID:	1216994
    Same thing happened to me on brand new Krampus frame. Thing is I can’t see or feel any burrs. Where was your burr? Any pics?

I haven’t resumed my build yet as I’m waiting for parts, but am hesitant since I’m not able to locate the source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    You’re gonna grease that too, after your test fit, right?
    I apologize if your reaction is “no shit Sherlock”, as mine would be if someone said that to me.
    Hahaha... No shit sherlock!

Quote Originally Posted by racefit View Post
    Same thing happened to me on brand new Krampus frame. Thing is I can’t see or feel any burrs. Where was your burr? Any pics?

I haven’t resumed my build yet as I’m waiting for parts, but am hesitant since I’m not able to locate the source.
    I didn't feel any either but they were on the top of the seat tube right at the lip. I even felt first and didn't feel anything. The only reason I found it was the pile of aluminum shavings that accumulated on the top of the seat tube. I just took a round file to it and gave it a quick couple swipes and it's all good now. Also had to take the burr that developed on the seatpost off too

mtbr member
    Sep 2018

New KM build..

Building a new lemmon lime soda single speed with these parts...
    Rigid for now
    Race face arc35 rims
    Paul boost hubs in black
    18t white industries freewheel
    Thomson stem and seat post
    Brooks cambium C17 saddle
    Renthal 800mm fat bar
    SRAM gx eagle cranks(32t)
    Shimano SLX hydro brakes
    And probably the Vittoria mezcal 29"X2.6" tubeless tires

Still waiting on hubs and tires to finish the build. I will post more pics when complete. Really want to run some fatter tires...2.6-2.8"....almost plus??? Lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your KM builds-042118d0-39d2-4c2c-ba90-fc6c91ced6fc.jpg  

mtbr member
    My wife's Troll frameset had a burr that scratched the seatpost too. It would have been frustrating if we'd used a nicer post. As it was, it was a cheap one to get her going, but still frustrating.
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly ECR

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    My 2011 Karate Monkey.

SRAM X0 9-speed gears, X0 disc brakes.
    2.5" Surly E T tires

Let's see your KM builds-2018-09-12-12.19.45-custom-.jpg

Let's see your KM builds-2018-09-23-10.24.35-custom-.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Wheel build, boosted...or gnot...

Finally got the hubs from Paul components, boost front and rear....race face arc35 29"...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your KM builds-2cabb000-9c75-4d98-a0f1-25443ad2788d.jpg  

Let's see your KM builds-81725ebe-ed86-46e6-955e-e6fd4bcf1e03.jpg  

mtbr member
    Singlespeed KMs: what gear ratio has worked best with the chainstays at the shortest position? Sub-17"?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Singlespeed KMs: what gear ratio has worked best with the chainstays at the shortest position? Sub-17"?
    Doesn't that depend on your terrain and what type of rider you are? I live at sea level and run a high cadence on road, so it translates t off-road. Especially sand. Mine is a 'dingle' speed. I have it set in 21 x 32. I have a 19 cog on the front that I can set it to, and also a 34 on the rear. So far I've left it on 21 x 32. When I had my Krampus, it was 19 x 32. I like this better at the moment.
    2018 Surly Karate Monkey 'dingle' speed
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Doesn't that depend on your terrain and what type of rider you are? I live at sea level and run a high cadence on road, so it translates t off-road. Especially sand. Mine is a 'dingle' speed. I have it set in 21 x 32. I have a 19 cog on the front that I can set it to, and also a 34 on the rear. So far I've left it on 21 x 32. When I had my Krampus, it was 19 x 32. I like this better at the moment.

Yes, it does depend on terrain and physical fitness. But the question asked was at a specific chain stay length...and that I am unsure of at the moment. Probably would depend on parts used(tires, half link chain, and gearing set-up. I will know shortly, what works on my bike.

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    I run 30x20 but a wolf tooth oval so more like a 32x20. I live and ride in hill country. A typical 9-12 mile ride will yield 1500-2400' depending on which local network I hit. As said, a personal choice.

I'm running my axle almost to the most forward position, maybe closer to the half-way point and rhe forward stop of the dropout. I also use a Surly TugNut that assures it all stays in position.

mtbr member
    To clarify, what kind of gear ratios have worked that make the most use of the sub-17" chainstays? I usually ride something like 32/20 or 34/21 with oval rings, but I could probably go to 32/19 or 34/20 oval. I m feeling Monkey-curious but it would be pointless to buy one if I am just going to run the same chain and end up with a 17"+ CSL.

And no half-links. Those sketch me out and selection of chainings that are not narrow-wide is slim.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Just a thought. Friend of mine has this. Says it's like driving a sports car compared to a Surly pick-up truck.

https://allcitycycles.com/bikes/log_lady

I'd really like one. But no more bikes until I move across country. I swear.
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Love the build, what stem did you end up using on it by the way ?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Karate Monkey re-build. Frame and wheels were sitting in the dustbin for two years while I explored a FS Stumpjumper 29. The original build on this bike was a cheapo parts bin build. Just put back together again with XT brakes, RaceFace crank, shorter stem, wider bars, and new front wheel with my old Hope hub and WTB Asym 35 rim, 2.6 Butcher up front. Sweet bike.

Last edited by CGrr; 10-08-2018 at 10:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by hardly_stuntworthy View Post
    Love the build, what stem did you end up using on it by the way ?

Cheers
    Guessing your talking about my bike...? Thomson X2 stem in 70mm...I'll post pics soon

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post

Got the bike all built up...running 32/18 with rear wheel axle about 1/8"-1/4" from being all the way forward in the drop out. I'm not sure what the actual chain stay length at that position, but it's pretty short.

Edit... measured axle to bb...16.75", roughly. With 2.6" Vittoria mezcal and tire/mud clearance is pretty close...about 1/8-1/4" between tire and frame on raceface Arc 35 rim. Tire actually measure out to 2.75 at 30psi.
    Last edited by Monocogenit; 10-27-2018 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Measured

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm back on 29ers for fall/winter, it certainly adds speed compared to the 27.5+ setup. Got a nice deal on a used wheelset, Paul hubs laced to WTB i29 rims.
    Pretty impressed with the Racing Ralph rear/Nobby Nic front combo, they hook up pretty good. but we'll see how they last as my experience with Schwalbe is hit or miss..

Also, fall riding is awesome!!

Let's see your KM builds-km_34.jpg

Let's see your KM builds-km_37.jpg

Let's see your KM builds-km_36.jpg

Let's see your KM builds-km_35.jpg

mtbr member
    Super cool!!!

Gesendet von meinem SM-A320FL mit Tapatalk

get down!
    Just a thought. Friend of mine has this. Says it's like driving a sports car compared to a Surly pick-up truck.

https://allcitycycles.com/bikes/log_lady

I'd really like one. But no more bikes until I move across country. I swear.
    your buddy is full of crap! Lol
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Interesting. I just installed a Maxxis Chronicle 3.0 tire on my KM and it put the handling out of whack. The handling went from direct and intuitive to wandering. The rear tire is a Maxxis Ardent Race 2.3. I’m guessing that the bigger tire on the front slacked it out too much.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CGrr View Post
    Interesting. I just installed a Maxxis Chronicle 3.0 tire on my KM and it put the handling out of whack. The handling went from direct and intuitive to wandering. The rear tire is a Maxxis Ardent Race 2.3. I’m guessing that the bigger tire on the front slacked it out too much.
    You know, I kinda started realizing the same thing. I ran a 2.4 Ikon and 3.0 Chronicle on 40mm rims for most of summer, then dabbled with a 27.5+ setup running ikon/Rekon 2.8's. I really enjoyed both setups, the extra comfort was noticeable and I felt at the time I wasn't giving up too much elsewhere.
    For fall and winter, I now went back to a 2.3 Racing Ralph rear and 2.4 Nobby Nic front (29mm rims) and it did make a pretty significant difference in (perceived?) speed, accuracy and overall handling. I was pretty blown away to be honest, and am inclined to keep this setup year round possibly just switching tires or maybe trying 2.6 tires for summer touring.

Back in 29er mode:
    Let's see your KM builds-km_37.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Let's see your KM builds

The 2.6 on a 35mm internal rim that I have on it now works great. I guess the bike wasn’t made for too much of an imbalance between front and rear tire sizes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    ^great looking bike, btw.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hi all,
    Looking for a dropper post for my 1st generation KM. I am happy with the one on my Fuse Expert, just don't know much about them. I believe a 27.2 is the proper size. Spring or air??
    TIA

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by WMBigs View Post
    Hi all,
    Looking for a dropper post for my 1st generation KM. I am happy with the one on my Fuse Expert, just don't know much about them. I believe a 27.2 is the proper size. Spring or air??
    TIA
    30.9 is the size you need.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    If it is the older KM, ie pre gnot boost, then it'll be a 27.2 seatpost.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rtl3341 View Post
    30.9 is the size you need.
    Just measured it, 27.2

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by michel77 View Post
    I'm back on 29ers for fall/winter, it certainly adds speed compared to the 27.5+ setup. Got a nice deal on a used wheelset, Paul hubs laced to WTB i29 rims.
    Pretty impressed with the Racing Ralph rear/Nobby Nic front combo, they hook up pretty good. but we'll see how they last as my experience with Schwalbe is hit or miss..

Also, fall riding is awesome!!

Name:	KM_34.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	141.6 KB 
ID:	1220538

Name:	KM_37.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	152.0 KB 
ID:	1220539

Name:	KM_36.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	1220540

Name:	KM_35.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	1220541
    Superb build. Is that an orange salsa lip lock w/ a CK nothreadset in mango? Thinking about same combo with my battleship grey KM frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018

2019 monkey build complete

Finally finished my bike. Think I'm happy with it... Maybe a fox fork down the line. Took it out for its maiden voyage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your KM builds-7514c791-260e-4e25-9e8a-b45662e82773.jpg  

Let's see your KM builds-72b95b0b-6481-455c-adad-940e57af2e8f.jpeg  

Let's see your KM builds-4512adec-bafa-4fa1-a45e-acb957249c1a.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Monocogenit View Post
    Finally finished my bike. Think I'm happy with it... Maybe a fox fork down the line. Took it out for its maiden voyage.
    VERY nice! What width tires are those?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Monocogenit View Post
    Fab!
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mohrgan View Post
    VERY nice! What width tires are those?
    Vitorria mezcal 29x2.6. they measure out to about 2.75 ,according to my calipers, on race face Arc 35 rims

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Fab!
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I tried a 80mm stem and found it a little stretched out so went back to the 30 degree 60mm stem and it feels right and comfy. Strange how i built this and i ride it more than any other bike in my stash. It makes me want to build a 29er monster cross.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    @ hardly_stuntworthy

Looks great. Ironically, reading message rang true to me. I have an older KM Ops and have played around with stem length. I thought I had it right earlier this year but keep noticing back ache (over the last couple of months) which I am wondering is triggered by the change of position.

mtbr member
    Not a good picture, but a very good urban racer!

Gesendet von meinem SM-A320FL mit Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

snowy ride

Let's see your KM builds-1110181019-00.jpgLet's see your KM builds-1110181048-00.jpg
    Winter is here. Ground just starting to freeze, about 3" of wet snow. Added a dropper post yesterday and wanted to try it out, seems to work well. Looking for a short travel fork for it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Bike build update

So...This is a slight update on my bike build. I realized I had a message from another guy and rarely check the messages and am pretty new to this forum... so figured I also give the update and answer to his questions here.

I'm curious about the weight of your KM. I love that lemon-lime color and may get one myself. Do you know the weight of the frame? And the fork? How much do you think it weighs complete?

I saw a review of a stock build and it came in at over 32 pounds. That is the main thing keeping me from getting one at this point. I can't see spending a decent amount of money to end up with a bike that weighs 32 pounds. If I can build one myself and end up with something in the 27-28 lb range, I can live with that, even if it ends up costing me more money overall.

Looking forward to seeing the photos of your complete build that you mentioned were coming soon.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Hey man.... So... I'm not sure about the frame/fork weight, but I got the weight down to 27lbs. And could possibly get another pound or two by swapping out the tires and a few other things. And yeah...I agree, 32lbs is a bit portly for a single speed mtb.
    The Vittoria mezcal 2.6" tires are huge and really heavy, with about 4-6oz of Stan's per tire, about 1lb heavier than my Specialized fasttrak 2.3 for the set). Just like the volume and comfort the fat tires provide, being full rigid. also like the look. I ditched the Brooks cambium for something lighter, although really comfy, it weighed a pound by itself. I have the kmc 810 chain... Which is a pretty heavy chain and really not Necessary, just looks cool. Lol The esi silicone grips are nice and light and all my brake hardware(rotor and caliper bolts) are avid titanium, just had the hardware from working in bike shops for 15+ years. You could easily get this bike down to 25lbs, I decided on a pretty Stout build so it'd be reliable for many years to come.
    And yeah... Many will say I have spent a lot of money on a bike that has no gears and no suspension, but it will be nearly maintenance free for the life of the bike and will never, well almost never, age. Where as most full suspension bikes are somewhat outdated after just 3 or so years of owning them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I know your post is asked and answered. But i’d Like to add my KM is fairly light, but I don’t know the weight. If I get around to going tubeless it will be less. But it’s a full custom build from a frameset. Velocity blunt rims with 2.4” Ardents on the front, and 2.25” on the rear. ‘Dingle Speed” conversion. It would certainly weigh more with gears, but i’d Choose something light and remain single in the front. Crankset is race face turbine. Pedals are lightweight DMR vaults. Thompson seatpost. And I just changed to Salsa bend bars. Saddle is a fairly normal specialized power.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    No worries... More the merrier. It's cool that so many people like these bikes and there is a wealth of information here anyone can use.

I know your post is asked and answered. But i’d Like to add my KM is fairly light, but I don’t know the weight. If I get around to going tubeless it will be less. But it’s a full custom build from a frameset. Velocity blunt rims with 2.4” Ardents on the front, and 2.25” on the rear. ‘Dingle Speed” conversion. It would certainly weigh more with gears, but i’d Choose something light and remain single in the front. Crankset is race face turbine. Pedals are lightweight DMR vaults. Thompson seatpost. And I just changed to Salsa bend bars. Saddle is a fairly normal specialized power.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Let's see your KM builds-20181203_180723.jpg
    Let's see your KM builds-20181203_180631.jpg

So I just got my KM done - stack height needs to come down a bit, will cut it down soon and remove a couple of spacers but other than that pretty happy. Not sold on the tyres, very slow rolling, maybe swap them out for something lighter from Schwalbe.

I'm totally new to MTB'ing and found the frame for a bargain price so thought it would be a good bike to build up for riding local trails with. Not like there's much elevation or demanding trails where I live anywa. I'll also use it for bikepacking next Summer.

Was definitely inspired by some of the Blue Lug builds/vintage MTB vibe with the Bullmoose bars. Need to find some smaller diameter spacers - any clues? These are a couple mm wider than the stem, and that doesn't look great.

Spec is:

2011 (I think) KM 20"
    Shimano MT35 wheelset
    Maxxis Ardent 29 x 2.25
    Deore XT brakes
    SRAM NX 1x11 drivetrain
    Brooks Cambium C17 all weather
    Ritchey Comp post
    Salsa liplock seat collar
    Sunrace CSMX8 11-46 cassette
    Nitto/Fairweather Bullmoose bars 710mm
    ESI grips
    Cane Creek 40 headset
    Shimano GR500 pedals

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Name:	20181203_180723.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	232.5 KB 
ID:	1227376

Name:	20181203_180631.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	190.6 KB 
ID:	1227377

So I just got my KM done - stack height needs to come down a bit, will cut it down soon and remove a couple of spacers but other than that pretty happy. Not sold on the tyres, very slow rolling, maybe swap them out for something lighter from Schwalbe.

I'm totally new to MTB'ing and found the frame for a bargain price so thought it would be a good bike to build up for riding local trails with. Not like there's much elevation or demanding trails where I live anywa. I'll also use it for bikepacking next Summer.

Was definitely inspired by some of the Blue Lug builds/vintage MTB vibe with the Bullmoose bars. Need to find some smaller diameter spacers - any clues? These are a couple mm wider than the stem, and that doesn't look great. Also, shame the frame still has the cantilever bosses on it, but I guess I'll have to live with that.

Spec is:

2011 (I think) KM 20"
    Shimano MT35 wheelset
    Maxxis Ardent 29 x 2.25
    Deore XT brakes
    SRAM NX 1x11 drivetrain
    Brooks Cambium C17 all weather
    Ritchey Comp post
    Salsa liplock seat collar
    Sunrace CSMX8 11-46 cassette
    Nitto/Fairweather Bullmoose bars 710mm
    ESI grips
    Cane Creek 40 headset
    Shimano GR500 pedals

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    That’s really nice. Great color and build. Don’t really know what the outside diameter for all the spacers is, but Wolftooth makes nice ones. Are you staying all black. I like that one spot of color on the seatpost.

mtbr member
    +1 very nice Monkey

White Industries makes the slimmest Spacers I've seen...

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Thanks guys. Yes, I plan to keep it all black.

I think I need to get hold of some 1 1/8" Nitto spacers. Makes sense considering the bars are from Nitto.

mtbr member
    Who has one of these newer KM rigid bikes in a medium? PM me if you have a minute to take two specific measurements on the bike. I can't find the answers I seek online.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I do. On my way to work now, if you don’t have the answers later, i’ll do it.

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    I do too but the rigid fork is not on it but sitting next to it. I have a suspension fork on it now. Ping me if I can be of help, I'm around.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loobs View Post
    Thanks guys. Yes, I plan to keep it all black.

I think I need to get hold of some 1 1/8" Nitto spacers. Makes sense considering the bars are from Nitto.
    Paragon Machine Works also make some super slim spacers, I had to do the same on my SS as the chunky aluminum ones looked like crap.

Also, I had a Monkey years ago and if I am not mistaken the canti stubs should be able to be removed, and then you can get some problem solvers canti stud plugs to screw in their place. The mounts are still there, nut you won't have the protruding studs anymore. Apologies if they aren't removable anymore.
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Members who have read this thread: 285