Let's see your KM builds - Page 10- Mtbr.com
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
Results 1,801 to 1,847 of 1847
    mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Alright, an update on the -08 Hüsker Blü salvage project;

We went to the office yesterday to get the frame straightened. Threw it in a vice, clamped between a couple blocks of wood to protect the BB shell, wrapped a string around, took some measurements and started bending. Bending the frame was a lot more effort than we initially thought, but an hour later we'd managed to straighten it to practical symmetry (with a tolerance of about two mm) and gotten the rear spacing right.

A quick angle gauge measure ruled out any significant twisting of the front triangle, which was a major relief! Now it just needs to be built up and ridden to see if our DIY straightening method missed anything, but I'm pretty confident we mended it.

I'll update once the project moves on!

Cold setting - not very pretty but gets the job done

Wanna ride bikes?
    ^ tall white socks are key when attempting such a procedure. Good to see you came prepared.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    That is awesome! Thanks for updating.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Let's see your KM builds-0511191150-01.jpg
    Hi all, I have done some updating to the KM 06 model. Late last year a stick jammed up my rear wheel, destroyed the wheel and derailleur.
    Built new wheels using old Hope 2 Hubs with Flow upfront and Arch out back. 2.4 Ardent and 2.25 Ardent in back.
    PNW dropper
    M6000 Deore 10 sp derailleur
    XT 10 sp shifter
    Sram GX dub crank with 28t steel ring
    Sunrace 11-40 10 sp cassette
    Wipperman 10 sp chain
    Shifts so nice. Wider spread than old 1x9
    The front Ardent has way more volume compared to 24mm iw it did have. Lots of traction up front at 18psi, rear a little squirmy when cornering hard at 20psi. Rear wheel all the way forward gets the front end nice and light on the tough uphills. Motor needs tuneup for sure.
    Finally starting to get dry here, 3 rides this weekend. Loving drive train and new dropper.
    MikeB

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Skittles

mtbr member
    In an effort at fleet reduction, I tried to make my 'KM take the role of my townie bike:

Let's see your KM builds-img_1526.jpg

It didn't take. It never does. The Karate Monkey was meant to be a rigid single speed mountain bike, simple as that.

Let's see your KM builds-img_1693.jpg

Just sometimes with a drop bar.
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    sharing my km in lemon lime soda. tried both 27.5+ and 29. ended up with the 27.5+ setup
    Let's see your KM builds-img_6928.jpgLet's see your KM builds-img_6623.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Mine is a work in progress still. Still needs some front and rear racks... this will be my daily commuter. It’s a crazy fun ride. 27.5 Schwalbe G One tires (2.35) set up tubeless.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your KM builds-938c266d-7e42-418e-a7e6-6c4641d9ca37.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2019

Bought this one maybe a year ago. '06-08 XL KM. I liked it because it came with Paul hubs. Put some knobby 2.5" tires on it, road it on a few trails. It slowly accumulated more Paul stuff (levers, post, stem), but it's just been sitting because I have another bike with gears and this one was no fun to ride on the street because of the gearing.

Decided to change that and went from 36/20 to 42/20 which is a pretty good compromise for a single speed in san francisco. Swapped out the knobby tires for a 29" hookworm in the rear and a 29" torch in the front. The hookworm is a heavy tire, almost 1/2 lb more than the maxxis Aggressor that it replaced.

I had my heart set on an original Selle Flite to replace the leather brooks that was on it, borrowed from my road bike. Couldn't find one for a decent price so I picked up this brooks C13 for cheeeeap. First few rides it felt a little stiff but I haven't noticed that since. Bike comes in right at 26 lbs.

I'm stoked to put some miles around town on it now, and it's not that much work to swap tires, chainring, and chain to get it set back up for the trails.

mtbr member
    Very nice update to a classic! Looks like a comfy, city streets slayer.
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly Lowside

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I also posted this in the + bikes forum...my KM doing time in 29+ mode.
    Let's see your KM builds-km3.jpg

Let's see your KM builds-km4.jpg

Let's see your KM builds-km1.jpg

Let's see your KM builds-km2.jpg

Wanna ride bikes?
    ^ That's a good Blue!
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    ^ That's a good Blue!
    Blue Porta Potty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Na
    Feb 2019
    Race face arch25 29er with schwalbe marathon almotion tubless. Still trying to get pics to upload.

[img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1--y...w?usp=drivesdk

[Img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-4u...w?usp=drivesdk

[Img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-7d...w?usp=drivesdk
    Last edited by krankie; 07-12-2019 at 07:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic13 View Post
    Mine is a work in progress still. Still needs some front and rear racks... this will be my daily commuter. It’s a crazy fun ride. 27.5 Schwalbe G One tires (2.35) set up tubeless.

I saw your rig at MBW. Nice setup!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by erste View Post
    This is just pure SEX!!! Jeez man!

My mate's Hüsker Blü (the one we straightened a few posts back) is gonna be built up as a singlespeed as well, hope it turns out as nice as yours!

As for me, my Monkey's been out for the count for a while, had to source a new ISIS BB. Finally built it up today and got out on a wee bikepacking overnighter to try it out. Super happy to have it rolling again, love these 1st gen monkeys!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Hoping my photo shows up. Had one of the yellow KMs when they first came out. Sold it after I convinced myself I needed something else, but the more I researched the more I came back to the KM's versatility. It's been a fun process slowly collecting parts and building this thing up over the last few months. This is version one setup primarily for moseying along rail-to-trail paths and ice cream dates with my lady. Lots of awesome builds and inspiration from this thread. Cheers to y'all fellow Surly folk!

Side note: the new i9 101 hub has been awesome so far. First fancy hub I've ever owned and the sound & engagement are something special.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your KM builds-img_2188.jpg  

Let's see your KM builds-img_2195.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Just cleaned her up

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikkosan View Post
    Just cleaned her up

dmn that looks great

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The tubes on the older Monkeys seem to be a fair bit smaller diameter than the newer ones, which makes for a far better looking bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    They're also about a pound and a half lighter. No offense to all the great new bikes, but I prefer the older style.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    This is how my build has come together so far. I still need to shorten the brake lines and the supports for that rack I put on last night, but I'm already really happy with how it's turned out.

This is the "around town" form of it, which is responsible for my short <2 mile commute, the odd grocery trip, and any weekend adventures around town towing the twins in the trailer (thanks to the Robert Axle Project thru axle). With 30mm wide 29er wheels running the 29x2.5 ExtraTerrestrial touring tires, it rolls pretty well on pavement, and the high volume gives a comfortable ride over the rougher stuff. I mounted the Surly rear disc rack last night and it's super solid, but also quick to remove if I'm ever worried about it getting in the way.

The "trail" form of this bike will replace the 29er wheels with a 27.5+ wheelset running 3.0 Dirt Wizards to give some actual traction in some of the loose trails. These would likely get put on for camping trips to sandy destinations where I want to tow the twins around but then also ride on the trails, and it'd be nice leaving the full suspension behind. We'll see though...I've never ridden full rigid 27.5+ on anything before, so this is kind of an impulse experiment to see if I'd actually want to leave the FS bike behind and ride rigid occasionally.

Attachment 1275351
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your KM builds-km.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Any reason to go KM over Krampus?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Wheel size. Which do you want? 27.5+/29 for KM, or 29+ for Krampus?

The bottom bracket on the Krampus is a bit higher. But both are high.
    2018 Surly Karate Monkey 'dingle' speed
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Is the KM not a 29+ also?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by LezRide View Post
    Is the KM not a 29+ also?
    No. The wheels are smaller on the KM. That is the main difference.

Smaller wheels are more agile. The 27.5+/29 option are approximately the same size overall. The 27.5+ have more rubber. 29 roll faster.

29+ are huge. Take a lot of power to turn. But they roll over anything. I consider the KM a lot more versatile than the Krampus. Krampus is rather niche.
    2018 Surly Karate Monkey 'dingle' speed
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Really? I don't care much about speed, but do about handling and you are saying KM is better handler? I am looking for something that's a good enough handler that will roll over anything. Is the KM also lighter based on what you are saying?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Yes. You need to start going to bike shops and compare these things. Even if they don’t carry the bikes you want, it should be obvious if you test bikes with both wheel types. Either bike makes a great trail bike. It comes down to the wa it feels to the individual. But everything else being equal, a smaller wheel weighs less and turns more quickly, so is more nimble.

How tall are you?

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I am 5ft7 and 158lbs lady.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by LezRide View Post
    I am 5ft7 and 158lbs lady.
    I’m about the same height and weight as you. Also female. I started on a size small Krampus. It was too small so I changed to a medium Karate Monkey. Built both from frame sets. That was very expensive as I wasn’t certain of size, and building from a frame set usually costs more. I am 170 cm, which is 5’6.75, and every size chart out me on a small. But I personally need to size up, and at our heights we are borderline depending on individual fit issues. I have a very long inseam and arm length., for example, and that makes fit different from what was expected. I suggest you buy from a shop and be properly sized. Both bikes are close to $1500.00 US. Most bikes shops will let you do layaway, which I mention since you talked about getting a frame set on one of your other threads. And any bike shop with a QBP (quality bike parks) account can buy a Surly. That is most of them. I do personally recommend the KM over the Krampus. The wheels and tires make the Krampus very heavy to pick up and carry if need be. And it takes more energy to pedal such large wheels. If you are not already an experienced cyclist that could make riding wearying. If you were a 6’5” male I’s say definitely Krampus. At your height you could certainly enjoy either, but I rate the KM as being a better fit for you in overall style.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Thank you, will take a look at the KM too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    My LBS suggested if I am looking at both the KM and the Krampus, to go KM as it would roll better for the hills we have in the area. He also find the geo better on the KM. Said to go Krampus if I am mountain bike-packing(which I won't be) or was a heavier and taller rider.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Ha! What I said. I love my KM. Such a great ‘anything’ bike. Wish I had the blue they have available now. But my purple is cool. A little too flashy. But nice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    What differences are there between years, including 20(which might not be out yet)?

mtbr member
    LezRide- here's some interesting discussion on the topic: https://forums.mtbr.com/surly/karate...n-1095997.html

I think the current KM started in 2016. I don't see any reason they would want to change the frame for at least another year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Thank you.

mtbr member
    Chime in please if you are still using your KM w/ 29x3.0 tires.

I know they fit. Plenty of shots of that.
    But after a season or so w/ the usual dry/wet/mud/etc type riding- are you still happy w/ this set up?

Schanks.
    -JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    LezRide- here's some interesting discussion on the topic: https://forums.mtbr.com/surly/karate...n-1095997.html

I think the current KM started in 2016. I don't see any reason they would want to change the frame for at least another year.
    The current Karate Monkey has only been around since 2018. The mango colored one was the first with the current setup, and now the blue (or yellow) one. There was a second color along with the mango frame, was it the light purple? I forget, but 2018 in any case.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by likeybikey View Post
    The current Karate Monkey has only been around since 2018. The mango colored one was the first with the current setup, and now the blue (or yellow) one. There was a second color along with the mango frame, was it the light purple? I forget, but 2018 in any case.
    he's talking about the geometry of the frame. They haven't redesigned the frame since 2016 or thereabouts. everything since then has been color changes and build kit tweets

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    2017, I believe. The year before had the mint green 2nd gen. 2017 was Rhymes with Orange (Mango, School bus Yellow).

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    2017, I believe. The year before had the mint green 2nd gen. 2017 was Rhymes with Orange (Mango, School bus Yellow).
    yep, the 27.5 version was the "Rhymes with Orange", and the SS was originally purple.
    i can't believe I'm riding a bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    I guess the Rhymes with Orange was actually what one would call a 2017 model. Though the availability was annoyingly pushed back and back and back such that maybe some intergalactic dealers got a few (I don't know) but my local shop was unable to get any until December 2017. At that point I was too frustrated to buy one. Sort of regret that now as it was a good color. Same color as my stolen '98 Stumpjumper, so it would have been cool to have in that regard as well.
    Last edited by likeybikey; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Through the years, bikes have come and gone from my stable. My Karate Monkey, however, will always be. It always has it's place and it never get's old. Miles of smiles on this ride!

Let's see your KM builds-karatemonkey.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Looking at possible building up a KM. How much adjustment is there in the chain stay length? I know it's 423 pushed all the way up. How far can you safely push it back? Maybe I would be better off with an Ogre. The versatility of the KM is hard to beat though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim_Ky View Post
    Looking at possible building up a KM. How much adjustment is there in the chain stay length? I know it's 423 pushed all the way up. How far can you safely push it back? Maybe I would be better off with an Ogre. The versatility of the KM is hard to beat though.
    Curious as to why you are so concerned. The KM is a lot more lively than the Ogre. I realize a longer wheelbase is more stable, but it looks like you are on a cross check now, and road style bikes are shorter in general.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ian1386 View Post
    This is how my build has come together so far. I still need to shorten the brake lines and the supports for that rack I put on last night, but I'm already really happy with how it's turned out.

This is the "around town" form of it, which is responsible for my short <2 mile commute, the odd grocery trip, and any weekend adventures around town towing the twins in the trailer (thanks to the Robert Axle Project thru axle). With 30mm wide 29er wheels running the 29x2.5 ExtraTerrestrial touring tires, it rolls pretty well on pavement, and the high volume gives a comfortable ride over the rougher stuff. I mounted the Surly rear disc rack last night and it's super solid, but also quick to remove if I'm ever worried about it getting in the way.

The "trail" form of this bike will replace the 29er wheels with a 27.5+ wheelset running 3.0 Dirt Wizards to give some actual traction in some of the loose trails. These would likely get put on for camping trips to sandy destinations where I want to tow the twins around but then also ride on the trails, and it'd be nice leaving the full suspension behind. We'll see though...I've never ridden full rigid 27.5+ on anything before, so this is kind of an impulse experiment to see if I'd actually want to leave the FS bike behind and ride rigid occasionally.

Attachment 1275351
    How's the ET'S ride? I've like to do a similar set up for around town.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I haven't had the Cross Check in years. I sold it and went to a Disc Trucker. Sold the Trucker last summer. Currently have an ebike for commuting and a Wednesday for gnarly trails. Looking for a for something in between. The fat bike is a bit of a pig on the roads. The KM looks like it would be a fun bike to take around town and some local trails. I've never cared for short chain stays. Stability and comfort are more my thing. I've got the Wheel pulled back on my Wednesday too. Thanks

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Members who have read this thread: 200