mtbr member
    Jun 2017

New question here. Krampus MK2 build feedback...

Hello Everyone! First post! Wahoo.

Avid backpacker with plenty of ultralight gear that has recently gotten into bikepacking. I was doing it on an old Giant XC bike (Anthem X2, 26er) that I had laying around in the garage to see if this was something I was truly going to get into. I am sold on the epic fun so now time for a new dedicated steed. This is the first bike that I am building from the frame up. I am lucky to have Universal Cycles in my home town. Years of fixing broken parts, doing upgrades and YouTube along with buying all the tools along the way has me convinced I can do this! With that said, any and all feedback is welcome. Thanks

1. 2017 Krampus, Dark Black/Medium.
    2. Cane Creek 40 ZS44/EC44/30 Headset (Per Surly FAQ)
    3. Shimano BB-MT800 XT HT2 68/73mm English Threaded Bottom Bracket
    4. Race Face Aeffect 35 760mmx20mm Bar
    5. Race Face Aeffect R 35 Stem, 50mm x 0 Deg
    6. Race Face Chester Seatpost (30.9x325mm)
    7. 30T Shimano SM-CRM70 SLX M7000 1x Chainring
    8. Shimano XT M8000 11sp cassette (11-42T)
    9. Shimano XT M8000 Shifter/Rear Derailer
    10. Shimano MR-M7000 SLX Brakes, F&R.
    11. Shimano FC-M7000-11-B1 SLX Boost Cranks (175mm)
    12. Ergon GP1 Grips
    13. Custom Wheelset:
    a.Shimano HB-M7010-B SLX 110x15mm 32 hole Boost Front Hub
    b.Shimano FH-M7010-B SLX 148xx12mm 32 hole Boost Rear Hub
    c.WTB Scraper i45 TCS 29 x 32 Hole Rims
    d.DT Swiss Champion Spokes (2.0mm Black)/ DT Swiss Black Brass Nipples
    e. Shimano Centerlock SM-RT68M 180mm Rotors (F&R)
    f. Maxxis Chronicle 29x3.0

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I think you've got a solid set up. I would personally change a couple of things.

* I would rather go double cranks up front. If your route consists of long road stretches, I would appreciate a 38 or 40T up front. This is just me, though. Some people are ok with 30x11. I'm too impatient for that.

* I'd go i35 rim (either WTB or Easton). Maybe i40. I feel it gives the wheels slightly better versatility when you decide to go with skinnier 2.4" tires. If you're planning on a second wheelset, then this is not an issue.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Thanks. I really struggled back and forth for rim width and running a 3.0 tire this just felt like the best setup. I do agree, I lose some versatility but should be able to run a 2.8 no problem.

Yeet so hard
    I would avoid the chronicles. Assuming you will be out in variable weather conditions, they are brutal in wet conditions.

I'd go with XT hydros rather than the SLX... they simply offer a ton more braking power IMO

Drive train is pretty personal but I would go 2x10, save some $ and put it into the brakes ^

I would stick with the i45s. 3.0 tires are great and if you are running chronicles then rolling resistance is not really an issue cause they don't have much tread
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF
    Smash

mtbr member
    I just built a new Krampus and can add some opinions.

*I would drop the Boost spaced crank and buy the standard M8000 or an older XT triple converted to 1x. The boost version puts the chain too far outboard and you will have issues if backpedaling the lower gears. The M8000/7000 does not work with standard chain ring spacers.

*A non oval 32T chain ring will fit up front for better high range.

*I would stick with narrower rims in the 35 to 40mm range. (unless you plan to run really low pressures that really only work well for fat bikes) Like stated above, the 35 will give you a wide range of tire choices.

*I am a Maxxis fan, but the Chronicle is not a favorite of mine. I have the WTB Ranger Light/Fast on 35i rims and so far I have been impressed with their speed on pavement and hard pack. The weight difference vs the Chronicle is noticeable. So far they seem to be tough enough for most bike packing use. The 35i rim will also give most 3.0 tires a rounder profile which does help with resistance on pavement.

Good luck with your build!
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Bubba, thanks for the feedback! With your feedback and that of Tims I did some research and came to the same conclusion. I swapped out the Chronicle's for the WTB Ranger TCS Light/Fast. Do you have a link to your build to share?

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba13 View Post
    *I would drop the Boost spaced crank and buy the standard M8000 or an older XT triple converted to 1x. The boost version puts the chain too far outboard and you will have issues if backpedaling the lower gears. The M8000/7000 does not work with standard chain ring spacers.
    Bubba - I spoke with Surly today on the phone. We're you running a Boost rear hub when you experienced this? They said they hadn't heard that and have not seen it on any of their production or custom builds. Just curious what you used on your build. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_PDX View Post
    Bubba - I spoke with Surly today on the phone. We're you running a Boost rear hub when you experienced this? They said they hadn't heard that and have not seen it on any of their production or custom builds. Just curious what you used on your build. Thanks.
    Surly may or may not have an issue with this. They are using a Sram drivetrain on production bikes. Shimano 1x11 is a different animal.

My new Krampus is set up with a boost rear hub.

I started running 1x on all of my bikes years ago and found that keeping the chain ring inboard from stock specifications has always worked best. With the standard M8000 crank you still have the option to space the ring out via BB spacer or spindle spacer if you need to. The boost crank places the chain ring outboard 3mm more with only the option of ring spacers to adjust inboard. The way the M8000 is designed, standard chain ring spacers won't work. You're S.O.L if you want to adjust the boost crank inboard.

The new Shimano cranks are different in that the 96bcd rings mount like the small ring on older 3x stuff. It could work with stronger/longer bolts and smaller diameter spacers, but that could lead to creaking, broken ring bolts.

It is possible the boost crank will work for you without dropping the chain during backpedal in the lowest gears. That has not been my experience with Shimano 1x11.

EDIT: When I said "dropping the chain on backpedal" I should have said dropping gears.
    Last edited by bubba13; 06-16-2017 at 12:55 PM.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Thanks for the explanation.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Got it done!
    https://m.imgur.com/gallery/RCpnx

Let me know if you can't see the pics, I made them public.

In order to get the chain line correct I had to add the spacer on the BB to the non drive side. This is with a Boost Crank and Rear Hub (both SLX). I am using an XT 11-42T cassette, no spacers required.

This is how a size Medium Blackburn Outpost frame bag fits the new frame if anyone was wondering. Great bag for $60.
    Last edited by Keith_PDX; 06-25-2017 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Remove pics and replace with gallery link

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Whilst I know theres supposed to be three pics in your post, all I can see is the outline box and no picture.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Yeah, I can't see them either. Keith, you're here in PDX, right? Which trails are you going to christen your Krampus on?
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    The pics are on Imgur and I can see them. Let me see if I can fix them! Sorry.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Edited above with gallery link.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Congrats Keith_PDX - looks awesome! I'd really like to build one pretty similar. Hope you don't mind but I've embedded your images for the record.
    Cheers,
    FZ6

Krampus MK2 build feedback...-krampus-1.jpg

Krampus MK2 build feedback...-krampus-2.jpg

Krampus MK2 build feedback...-krampus-3.jpg

Krampus MK2 build feedback...-krampus-4.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Great build Keith_PDX! I have an original green Krampus with a very similar build. My favorite bike of all time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    First Upgrade!

2017 Reba RL 29 Boost 120mm with WTB Ranger 29x3.0 on WTB Scraper i45. Fork weighs 11oz more than stock steel fork. Just a friendly FYI for those doing research. I bled off all the air and bottomed the fork out, no issues. Two rides and huge improvement for bikepacking. Success.
    Krampus MK2 build feedback...-krampusava.jpgKrampus MK2 build feedback...-rebaclearance.jpgKrampus MK2 build feedback...-krampusfork.jpgKrampus MK2 build feedback...-rebaweight.jpg
    Last edited by Keith_PDX; 07-18-2017 at 09:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Pics aren't showing up. I don't think they're shared on imgur for others to view. It works better when pics are uploaded rather than linked to a third party site, and they have permanence on mtbr that way.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    @FrankZappa6 - Thank you, edited above and embedded posts. The pictures were public, not sure what the issue was.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Wow. WOWOWOWOWOW!

It looks amazing in black, especially with the brown saddle. The polished seat clamp really sets it off as well. Well done.

Front end looks very high with the 120mm forks though! I believe a 100mm sus fork maintains the original rigid geometry.