mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Krampus fork dropouts deformed? wheel pushed too far left

Pretty sure my dropouts are deformed on my stock Krampus fork.

I've been using it the past few months with rabbit hole rims and bolt on hubs. My front brake is a bb7. Over this time I've continuously had to adjust the bb7 in for smooth running, due to the rotor periodically beginning to rub the brake. It got bad enough to where the rotor was hitting the bottom post mount adapter bolt as it rotated.

After a lot of head scratching and banging I realized that the inner side of the dropouts had a raised area of metal, presumably from the flanged part of the end of hub pushing into the dropout. It was high enough to where the wheel wasn't sitting level in the dropouts. I took a round file to this and was able to make the inside of the dropout even, allowing the wheel to sit level again.
    However, now there is an indentation in the dropout, causing the wheel to be pushed too far left to where the caliper can not be pushed over far enough to not hit the rotor.

First here's an image of the end of the hub. I think that flanged part is deforming the dropout:Krampus fork dropouts deformed? wheel pushed too far left-hub.jpg

Here's an image of the left dropout. You can see a round impression in it:Krampus fork dropouts deformed? wheel pushed too far left-left.jpg

Here's the right dropout for comparison:Krampus fork dropouts deformed? wheel pushed too far left-right.jpg

Finally here is a gif of what happens when I tighten the hub bolts. While tightening there is is resistance at first, then it gets easier before finally tightening again. This seems concurrent with it slipping into that impression in the photo of the left dropout:
    Krampus fork dropouts deformed? wheel pushed too far left-videotogif_2017.04.28_18.21.37.jpg

Does anyone here have any ideas? I have not been able to find anything like this. The only thing I can think of is that I've been over-tightening it, which seems unlikely... Or this is normal and my dropouts are perhaps bent?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    There is a LOT of pressure on the small shoulder of the hub axle. I would replace the hub/wheel with something that sandwiches the dropout fully as that's a disaster waiting to happen if you are using the Krampus as intended IMO...

good luck

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by subversion View Post
    There is a LOT of pressure on the small shoulder of the hub axle. I would replace the hub/wheel with something that sandwiches the dropout fully...
    Agreed, the design seems fluky, however this is the stock surly hub and it seems like many people ride them without issue.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Well I feel like a bit of a dingbat but think I figured it out.

I always knew there was a dust cap missing, but it never bothered me that much. Upon some investigation I guess there is also supposed to be two washers that fit on the end of the hub axle and clamp securely against the dropout.
    This is the part here: https://www.modernbike.com/surly-ult...d-axle-end-cap

You can see how it fits on the axle in this picture (the second most inward washer from the left):
    Krampus fork dropouts deformed? wheel pushed too far left-34588_01_d.jpg

Its obvious that this would provide a vastly more secure interface than how I have been riding it. I bought the bike used and never questioned the hub until it recently started giving me major issues.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Good stuff - didn't realize it was a Surly hub!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Eek. Glad you got that sorted and also kept all your teeth. Win-win.