mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Krampus 110 fork out of spec, won't fit short frames

So I just plopped down the cash for a new boost Krampus fork. Cut the steerer, installed the star nut, installed the crown race, and proceeded to put it on my friend's 2016 Jamis Dragonslayer (size small).

No go. I discovered the steerer tube is externally butted, so the external diameter increases at about 120mm above the crown race. I measure 1.135" diameter below that point, not the 1.125" one would expect. Headtube top assemblies, spacers, and stems won't slide past that point.

The small Dragonslayer has an 80mm headtube, but the same EC44 lower and ZS44 upper that the new Krampus frames have. I don't see how this fork can fit a small Krampus (90mm headtube). Measuring where the top assembly stops, it seems a few mm shy of fitting a 100mm headtube w/ external lower cup.

NOTHING in the Surly info, specs, or installation mentions this dimension.

Headset on the Jamis is pretty typical FSA EC44/ZS44 combo, nothing strange.

Huge disruption to my plans. We fly to Ecuador in 4 days and I'm now forkless. Bought the fork 2 weeks ago, but have been waiting on the FSA crown race (arrived today) before installing.

Anyone else have a similar issue? Is my fork an anomaly? The butting is very obvious to the fingers, not so much to the eye. I was pressing the headset top assembly down and it stopped hard about 1" above its destination. At first I thought it was hung up on the serial number stamp, but then I felt it & measured with my caliper.

I'd be curious if others have the same butting at same location.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    30 minutes with a 1.5" x 12" strip of emery cloth and I'm good to go. Wrapped the emery cloth halfway around the steerer, then ran it back and forth 50 times, then rotated steerer 90 degrees, did the 50X strokes again, then another 90 degree rotation of the steerer and 50 strokes, and a final 90 deg rotation and 50 more strokes. Repeated that sequence 4 times (800 strokes of emery cloth, 200 each at 90 deg placements on steerer).

End result is a reasonably consistent 1.125" steerer down to 90mm from the crown, half the serial number missing, and a shiny, ready-to-rust silver stripe on the otherwise black steerer. But at least I can install the headset and stem.

I don't expect a lot from Surly components, but I at least expect a run of the mill 1 1/8 steerer to be close enough to spec to accept a standard headset and stem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Krampus 110 fork out of spec, won't fit short frames

*wrong thread*
    Last edited by mikkosan; 06-15-2018 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Deleting post

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mikkosan View Post
    Arenít most forks butted towards where the crown race sits? Same is for my DVO and Pike forks. Ensures a snug fit of the race.
    Definitely. And the Krampus fork has additional butting there to support the crown race. But I'm talking about 120mm above the crown race. Most lower steerer tube butting starts around 20-30mm above the crown (which obviously won't interfere with headset/spacer/stem installation).