KM dropouts- Mtbr.com

Thread: KM dropouts

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

KM dropouts

I switched my KM over to a 1x9 this year and have really been enjoying it. The problem is I'm having a tough time with the drop outs, if i grab a hand full of brake, the rear wheel shifts in the drop out and starts rubbing the chain stay on the non drive side. Im running a 180 disc and Stans Crest 29er with ZTR hubs and skewers. Are the skewers just crap? Should I be using my tugnut? How does one properly tighten a tug nut when using gears?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Better skewer.

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    Use monkey nuts

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

mtbr member
    Sounds like your wheel is shifting from brake jack. The monkey nuts won't fix that, as they position the skewer rearwards, but don't stop it from going further back. Of course there's no reason not to run them if you are using gears, and they guarantee your position will be right. The tuggnut won't do you any good either, as it also only stops the wheel from moving forwards, not backwards.

(Note: I don't have a KM, so I'm guessing a bit here, but it sounds to me like the wheel is shifting backwards. Can you confirm? Has anyone else experienced this?)

Assuming you are shifting the wheel backwards, there's two options that I know of:

1) Better skewer. The universal opinion seems to generally be any of the higher end Shimano's will do the trick. Lots of bite, strong steel parts. The XT ones I have work great.

2) Switch to a bolt on axle. Not sure if this is a possibility with your hubs. Does anyone here know?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Sounds like you need better skewers. Either that or the security or allen skewers :-

https://www.charliethebikemonger.com...ALLCOLOURS.JPG

I use the Halo allen skewers on my KM and have not had a problem. If your not running a front mech, I don't use one on my 2x9, then you don't need monkey nuts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    When I was running 1x9 on my KM (sold), I used monkey nuts and a XT skewer. Had no problems with wheel shifting.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    For my pug (same dropouts) I put a tug nut on the non-drive side. Better skewer might have the same effect, but I needed my skewer to haul a trailer.

mtbr member
    One of those old school shimano skewers should do the trick. None of that aluminum crap.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for the comments guys and gals. As mentioned by others, the tugnuts were useless in alleviating the problem. I'm gonna dig through my parts bin to see if I have any old xt skewers.

Bike Geek
    I've heard of a lot of cases of skewers sliding in track ends & as a new KM owner, i'm worried about it happening to me. I'm currently using Sun Ringle Disc Jockeys with Salsa QR skewers. Anyone here using these? Any feedback? My 1st ride was in a technical man-made trail...0 problems but slipping is still at the back of my mind. I just want to have peace of mind & confidence in my equipment because it will make me a better rider.

Fake it 'til you make it
    I realize this thread is a little aged, but FWIW, a few years ago I had this problem, also, but on the drive side.

I discovered that the drive side serrated face outer locknut on my 6-bolt XT hub was installed backwards (brand new prebuilt wheels). Flipped it, readjusted the hub, and have never had a problem since.

I hope the OP has solved the problem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    A dig around the old parts bucket resurrected an old xt skewer.

I actually prefer the cheapest Shimano skewers for this application. Beef.

Members who have read this thread: 0