KM cockpit- Mtbr.com

Thread: KM cockpit

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

KM cockpit

Hey ya'll. I recently built up a large KM. It's my first 29er. The bar height is right where I like it, without having to go massive rise stem/big riser bar combo. (something I'm accostomed to with my 26" bikes) So I"m wondering, if duplicating the cockpit layout on the 29er is common when coming off a 26er. Are these layout dimensions something that can be pretty much a set standard between the 2 different size wheel bikes? I like my chit level (saddle/bar), on the 26" bike. Should that same goal give me close to the same end result on the monkey? I guess I'm at the point where I'm willing to compromise on brand/look for componants on the monkey to get the feel I sooooo loooove of my 26" SS.

Comments? Opinions? I'm all ears

I have a small MTBR gallery with both bikes I'm refering to.
    My tapeworm tells me what to do.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Wheres the Surly Love?

Fixed and single.
    well, you could try a reg. 10 or 15deg. stem and flip it to get more drop.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I guess my question could be simplified by asking: Do you Karate Monkey riders fit your bike the same as you did when you were riding 26" wheels?

Fixed and single.
    Yeah my setup is pretty close.
    Last edited by mordecai; 01-17-2006 at 08:27 AM.

Harmonius Wrench

No, not even close!

Quote Originally Posted by OFSFrank
    I guess my question could be simplified by asking: Do you Karate Monkey riders fit your bike the same as you did when you were riding 26" wheels?
    This is going to be a different answer, perhaps, than you might expect, but then I come off of a 26"er from a different era. Back in the mid-90's, it was common to have a flat bar/ 135mm/ zero or up to 10 degree rise stem. Most bikes in my size had around a 23" top tube. Now, with the KM that fits me, ( a 20") I have a slightly over 24" top tube. I run a Midge bar with a 90mm X 40 degree rise stem. This gets me the approximately three inch drop from my saddle to my grip area, which is pretty much the only thing that's stayed constant over the years. Of course, with the midge bar I can ride the hoods of the brake levers, or grip the bar tops. Things I couldn't do with a flat bar, so I guess I have three handle bars in one!

I like that set up, but now I have a 29"er Inbred and I'm planning on running H-bars on that, so totally different again!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Errr...maybe!

I just received a new KM last week so I'm in the process of doing this exact set-up right now. I'm trying to get a position somewhere in between my fixed X-Check w/midge's (ala Guitar Ted) and my 26" trail bike w/mary bars. If you have access to the latest Dirt Rag there's a nice article in there by Justin Steiner (fixed gear rider) about fitting your new ride; he has all the measurements that one should get before starting to fit.

I started with getting my saddle height where I needed it and just played around with a couple of stems and spacers settings. Hint: don't cut your new fork very short so that you can run some extra spacers. Just swap them eihter below or above the stem as required. You'd be surprised how far you can go off of feel alone. The distance from the tip of my saddle to the end of my stem has remained the same between all 3 bikes. Go figure! It feels pretty good right now but I'll keep playing a bit before I cut the steerer tube on the fork for good.

G-Ted: How's the new 29'er On-One compared to the old KM?

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Well I was in stem lust over my old school Salsa chromo 135mm stem. I REALLY wanted to run it on the monkey. It just streched me out a little more than I like. So I put my Profile Stiffy 120mm (same rise) stem and it's just soooo much better. I like both stems, so it won't kill me to run the Stiffy till I can stumble across a deal on on a shorter chromo Salsa stem. Or something similar. I'd like to have matching stem/post, for once.

Thanks for the input

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by l-dub1

G-Ted: How's the new 29'er On-One compared to the old KM?

Good luck!
    Well, I won't know for awhile as I am patiently waiting for the new Salsa Delgado Disc 29" rims to come out before I build up my purple ano Surly disc hubs up. I got the frame only, (close out from J&B Importers) so I am also waiting on a fork. (Bontrager Switch Blade). It'll be awhile....................

Initial impression of the frame is very good. Nice welding, good paint, ( pearl white) and reasonably lightweight. Lighter than a KM, but not much! Has those "Bontrager-like" gussets going on, which I like.

The frame is an 18", which will put me back in "old skool" territory for a stem. A new batch of Inbreds are due out in a 19" size with a slightly longer top tube, which I probably would have gone with, had they been available now. The 20" Inbred has WAAAAYYYY too long a top tube for me! The top tube on the 18" is slightly longer than 23".
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member

Never fear...

Quote Originally Posted by OFSFrank
    Well I was in stem lust over my old school Salsa chromo 135mm stem. I REALLY wanted to run it on the monkey. It just streched me out a little more than I like.
    Salsa is re-repeasing the Cro-Mo stem this season. Run your Profile and get a 120mm Salsa when they come out.

Dr Gadget is IN

People are strange...

Especially me! I got my 18" KM just as I got a new stem for my 26er (blue... ahh....) so I took the black stem/red bar and moved them to the KM. Eff TT length is very close between the 2, stand them next to each other and biggest diff is ht (5" travel vs rigid). But after riding the KM, the cockpit felt cramped - so I had to go with a longer stem (125 to 150). Now the monkey fits fine, but stand the 2 bikes next to each other - the monkey bars are further forward. YMMV
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member
    I would say tire size doesn't matter on fitting a bike. I set up my KM to fit similar to my Ibis Ripley. Both bikes are used for strictly XC riding, so they should have similar cockpit layouts. I had been riding my Ibis for four years when I got the Monkey, so I had the cockpit pretty well dialed in on the Ibis at that point. The KM feels pretty good set up the same way. I started with the bars a little higher, but I have been lowering them down until they are now at about the same height.

Members who have read this thread: 0