mtbr member
    Aug 2010

KM 29+ and 27.5+/29+ thread

I'm trying to decide between B+ and 29+ and instead of committing to 29+ with a Krampus, I've been thinking about going with a KM so I can go with either size or even B+/29+.

My primary interest in plus sizes is a rigid SS bike that has more give in ride quality than say 29/2.4.

I know the KM has just come out, and the Gen2 Krampus isn't out yet, but I have a feeling there are others out there like me who are interested in this type of build and will be looking for guidance on what the new KM does with the different setups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Bling
    With 29+, it's going to be a litter harder to get the bigger wheels up to speed. But once you are at speed, it's no stopping it! It will result in a higher bb all things being equal.

B+is going to be easier to accelerate off the bat and a little harder to maintain the momentum for distance. Lower bb could be a concern if you don't know how to time your pedals.

For me, I like the B+ since I have a lot of punchy, techy climbs that the quick acceleration benefits. It's a little lighter and is better for where I live.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    since the new monkey will fit both, I don't see how you can go wrong.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

KM 29+ and 27.5+/29+ thread

Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    With 29+, it's going to be a litter harder to get the bigger wheels up to speed. But once you are at speed, it's no stopping it! It will result in a higher bb all things being equal.

B+is going to be easier to accelerate off the bat and a little harder to maintain the momentum for distance. Lower bb could be a concern if you don't know how to time your pedals.

For me, I like the B+ since I have a lot of punchy, techy climbs that the quick acceleration benefits. It's a little lighter and is better for where I live.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    Do you have a new Gen KM? I ask because I don't know if you're comments reflect you using both tire sizes on the new KM or just in general.

The purpose of the thread is to see how 29+ wheels work on the KM, not debate the pros/cons of B+ vs. 29+....
    Last edited by racefit; 03-16-2017 at 04:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    We don't even know how well 29+ works on the KM. Yes, there is a guy here on the forum that switched all of the stuff over from his Krampus. However, he is running Dirt Wizards which are a little small relative to other 29+ offerings. I will be watching to see what others with new KMs have to say about clearance!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'm debating between the KM and Krampus so wondering what makes people pick one over the other?
    As far as I can see, there's very slight geo/size differences, and slightly less chainring clearance on Krampus (in exchange for slightly more rear tire clearance).... but other than that they're the same.

If you're shopping these, what's making you lean towards either?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoosand View Post
    I'm debating between the KM and Krampus so wondering what makes people pick one over the other?
    As far as I can see, there's very slight geo/size differences, and slightly less chainring clearance on Krampus (in exchange for slightly more rear tire clearance).... but other than that they're the same.

Once we get some real world feedback from people trying 29+ on their KM's that question will be much easier to answer.

Trail Rider
    Feb 2017
    Go 29 x 2.6!

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Doesn't like too big of a stretch to put the WED in that same group. That was my pick since it can run all the wheel sizes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

KM comes in purple- love that color, just got some purple pedals.
    For me I am not looking to run 29+. I have the original KM with DHF 2.5 up front and Ardent 2.4 out back. The laid back head tube, more tire clearance for 29 and 27+, and ability to run dropper is what I wanted. I have a Specialized Fuse that is a lot of fun, would like to get back a little bit of steep techy climbing ability. I think this new KM wll be the perfect combination of climbing and descending ability. Most of the trails are roller coaster up and down, some techy, some flowy. Found a LBS that can order it for me.

mtbr member
    Posted this in the other KM 2017 thread, but figured folks here would like to know:

Bontrager Chupacabras on Easton Arc 35 rims. As you can there are gobs of clearance, with the wheel pulled at the middle of the dropout.

Measured tire width at 15psi is at 2.89 inches. Will test it on the trails this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks for posting!

Do you have a B+ for the rear to test a B+ rear / 29+ front combo?

Looking forward to hearing your impressions either way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by racefit View Post
    Thanks for posting!

Do you have a B+ for the rear to test a B+ rear / 29+ front combo?

Looking forward to hearing your impressions either way.

I've done that with my OGKM.
    The difference is pretty negligible for me, between b+, b9r+, and 29+. Ultimately, I think 29+ is my favorite, because it raises everything back up and really feels like monster trucking without being as sluggish as a fatbike.
    I use the term sluggish loosely, because at the end of the day, it's a sub 30lb bicycle. If it's too sluggish, one should find another sport.

mtbr member
    B+

B9+

29+

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mohrgan View Post
    We don't even know how well 29+ works on the KM. Yes, there is a guy here on the forum that switched all of the stuff over from his Krampus. However, he is running Dirt Wizards which are a little small relative to other 29+ offerings. I will be watching to see what others with new KMs have to say about clearance!
    Speak of the devil.

I'm still happy with my 29+km. After reading about the minions vs wizards, I think those minions would require you to pull the axle further back since they're super tall compared to dirt wizard.

mtbr member
    Anyone running their Monkey rigid with B+ and 29+ care to measure the actual BB height? A new steel, rigid, slacker, 29+ capable frame is on my radar, looking at these later down towards the end of year, early next year when they're more easily attainable, but also have seen a few other possible options, just BBs seem pretty low on the other options.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??