Instigator experiences- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Instigator experiences

Who rides on an Instigator frame ?
    Let us know how it is ...

mtbr member
    I had one for about 6 months and I loved it. I used it as a Trail bike with a Manitou Minute up front and a mix of SRAM and XT level components - worked great!

Pics of it are in the Surly Pics thread. It was custom powdercoated a really great metallic grey color. It rocked. But I decided to give 29" wheels a try so now I'm on a Karate Monkey.

Duckin' Fonuts.
    Dec 2005
    I built a 20" one up for the local PD. The guy who rode it daily is 6'4" and goes 230. Big hammer head. He beat on it for 2 years in all kinds of weather with no problems. Not many big jumps but pounding on curbs and stairs, and it was thrown at a few suspects fleeing on foot.

VMB
    I can't say I have a lot of rides in on my Instigator yet but so far so good. I've ridden it about 6 times since I've built it up and love it so far. Mine is a Medium with a Manitou Black 100/120mm. I think my Giant VT is going to collect some dust during the riding season.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by PianPian
    Who rides on an Instigator frame ?
    Let us know how it is ...
    I've got one for DJ and Urban. I duno. I'm not real fond of it. It rides kindof funny and just seems off.

VMB
    Will,
    I like the fact that mine seems real stable on slow/technical stuff. The flex of the steel is also a plus. A lot of the little bumps that you encounter during trail riding are absorbed in the flex from the frame. I do notice that it bobs when climbing steep inclines. Responsiveness and agility are better than on my VT, even on the downhills.

mtbr member

I like mine

I run a fox 36 up front, Deemax wheelset, Specialized 2bliss 2.4's, and it handles like I want it to. I have a small, and am looking to purchase another frame if I can find a good deal on one, want to build up one for my son. The bike is bullet proof. Even with all the non-lite weight parts, it comes in under 29 pounds.

Rick
    "Oh, and how dare you accuse me of lying, drinking, getting high" DessertRagged

mtbr member
    My thoughts are that the design of the Instigator frame lends itself more towards a long travel trail bike, freeride hardtail moreso than an urban bike or a dirt jumping bike.

I rode mine with a 130mm fork up front (Minute) and it worked great set up like that as a long travel hardtail trail bike.

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    My thoughts are that the design of the Instigator frame lends itself more towards a long travel trail bike, freeride hardtail moreso than an urban bike or a dirt jumping bike.
    I've had mine since 2001 set up in the trail bike flavor. It's a great all around FUN trail bike.
    I first used a 130 mm Fox Vanilla but now I'm running a closeout Marzocchi 2000 model year Z1 Drop Off. I think the Drop Off is a 100 mm fork because I've never seemed to use more than 100 mm. It is a great fork for this bike though and I like it at least as much as the Vanilla.

tl1
    Bicyclist
    The current picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

tl1
    Bicyclist
    I was thinking about this bike after I posted this and the first fork I used on it was actually an RST Delta XL. I liked that fork a lot, it had the advantages of being extremly inexpensive ($70 in like-new used condition) extremely stiff to twisting (way better than any single crown fork I've used), noiseless, no maintenance other than lubing the stanchions once a year (it was air damped with protective rubber boots on the stanchions) and it was a nice color match. Disadvantages were it wasn't very responsive to small bumps and it was kinda heavy.

TeXaS BoY
    Jan 2004
    had my mustard yellow Instigator since July 2004. Went downhilling with it in Durango that same year. I ride it all the time. I love it. Gets compliments all the time from other riders.
    Don't live in fear. Be ready.

I love my bike like a fat kid loves cake.

mtbr member
    I've owned mine for approx. 1.5-2 years now, and love it! I currently use it for just about everything, except downhill/extreme-freeride type stuff. I work with a guy that has the orange one, and he says he loves it too. He said it's the only bike that's remained constant in his bike collection over the last 3-4 years. Here's mine:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy & Bullit
    Trek 520
    Nishki Colorado
    Black Market Riot
    Vassago Jabberwocky
    Kona Manomano

err, 27.5+
    I am 6'3" and rode an XL setup for trail riding and clydesdale xc racing. It rode well and handled the 130mm z1 better than any other hardtail I tried it on. That said the bike was a bit of a pig. I think the frame in XL is close to 7lb. That fork had a steel steerer and was just under 6lb. All said and done the bike weighed in at about 32-33lb. Sweet ride, nice and stiff front triange with a compliant rear triangle.

Honestly I think the bike is a bit of an oddball. It doesn't really fit any type of riding well. Kind of the jack of all trades master of none deal. The geometry is good for all mountain and aggressive riding, but the seat tube is too long for real urban or dirt jump sessions. The frame is burly for aggressive riding, but that dang seat tube is in the way and the saddle can't be dropped low. The work around if you do want to do urban, dirt jumping, and downhill is to go with a smaller frame to get the shorter seat tube. The frame makes for a great trail bike, but at 7lb it weighs as much as most full suspension trail frames. Judging by how the handling was with a Z1 130mm I would imagine that it would be twitchy with a shorter fork on it. I think the best bet with this bike is as I had it setup, clydesdale hardtail all mountain thrasher

I still have a soft spot for this frame and keep my eyes open for another. I think eventually I would like to build one up as a singlespeed and send it off to have an eccentric bottom bracket installed. I gotta find one that is pretty thrashed cosmetically and cheap though in order to justify that project.

Here is a pic of mine as I had it setup...

Designated Bleeder

Love that Instigator

I have had a 2003 Instigator for the last two years (in ugly ass orange) and I would have to say that is just about the perfect hardtail for me. I ride it as a singlespeed with the Surly Singulator and a 2005 Marzocchi All Mountain 3 on the front. I originally built it up as my alternate ride when my full suspension was in the shop but I quickly caught the singlespeed bug and have been riding it almost exclusively for the last year or so.

Even as a singlespeed it makes a great all-mountain, light freeride frame. It handles singletrack very nicely and is great on drops up to about 4' or so. The steel frame kicks any aluminum frame's ass. I would never want to go back to an aluminum hardtail after riding this sucker.

Keeping all the praise in mind, it did take me a little while to get comfortable on the bike. Its darn heavy for a singlespeed and it takes some getting used to, especially when you have to walk climbs that you used to clear. Also, in my original setup the cockpit felt very tight and I ended up going with a 100mm stem on the front. This definitely has reduced its jumping agility but really assists in terms of climbing and general trail stability.

Finally, the Instigator is the perfect bike for people who ride hard and tend to abuse their equipment. While the frame is a beast in terms of weight, I have never felt as confident in the strength of a frame as I do in the Instigator. Cheers to Surly...

Members who have read this thread: 0