help with cross check sizing.- Mtbr.com
    Poorly Disguised Poser

help with cross check sizing.

I am building a bike for my brother, and we need to decide what size platform to build on.

My brother is new to CX...really he will probably just jack around on this bike and never seriously race.

that said. how should one size this frame?

Stand over?
    TT length?

My brother is a roadie by design, but is getting into the surly/cx/mtb seen.

He is not a big guy and may be really good on a cx bike off road.

He is currently riding a bianchi 55cm.
    the Stand over is 30.5
    the Top tube is 21.75

His inseam is 32.

we are planning on running monster truck tires on this thing (700c44 mutanoraptors) which will increase stand over of this bike by about 15 mm or roughly 2/3inch.

This bike will be a single speed for what it is worth.

what frame size would you recommend? What dimensions are most important for cx?

Please help
    My ego is bigger and better looking than yours.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

size matters

I have a CC and sounds like I'm about the same height as your bro. Mine's a 56cm. but it's set up for road and touring. To allow for the extra big tires, and a bit more clearance for off road, I'd go with a 54. You can always run more post and stem. I guess I'd err on the size of caution rather than end up with a rig that's too tall. ~dan

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

size down one

Quote Originally Posted by unit
    I am building a bike for my brother, and we need to decide what size platform to build on.

My brother is new to CX...really he will probably just jack around on this bike and never seriously race.

that said. how should one size this frame?

Stand over?
    TT length?

My brother is a roadie by design, but is getting into the surly/cx/mtb seen.

He is not a big guy and may be really good on a cx bike off road.

He is currently riding a bianchi 55cm.
    the Stand over is 30.5
    the Top tube is 21.75

His inseam is 32.

we are planning on running monster truck tires on this thing (700c44 mutanoraptors) which will increase stand over of this bike by about 15 mm or roughly 2/3inch.

This bike will be a single speed for what it is worth.

what frame size would you recommend? What dimensions are most important for cx?

Please help
    I am 6ft tall with a 34" inseam, my previous road bike was a 58cm w/ a 57cm tt, my 56cm cross check has the same 57cm tt and more stand over, so it works for me. Bianchi's are often short in the tt but I think a 54 would probably work for him.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'm slightly over 6'1" and ride a 58cm crosscheck pretty much exclusively on the road and it fits great. I've had it 3 weeks and not a single complaint. The "complete" has a very decent set of components and at $850 it's tough to beat.

I've thought about going single-speed, but I have something called "sylvan hill" between my house and work so I need to double my leg and lung size before I try that.

Members who have read this thread: 0