Head tube lengths on Cross Checks- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    10

    New question here. Head tube lengths on Cross Checks

    Hi:

    I'm thinking of getting a Cross Check but having trouble deciding on which size (52 or 54) mainly because of the seemingly tiny head tube lengths.

    I'm 5'9" with a 30.5" inseam. I'm comfortable with a 54-55cm top tube and currently have a 3cm saddle-bar drop.

    In terms of TT length the 52cm frame looks good but it's got a 9cm headtube. I'm afraid this will make it harder to get the bar almost level with the saddle without a lots of spacers or steep stems.

    The 54 frame is 1cm longer that I'd prefer in the top tube -- but I figure it'd make it easier to get the bar up to where I'd like. Then I could compensate with a shorter stem or shorter reach handlebar... although my standover clearance would be close to nil.

    At this point I'm thinking getting my saddle-bar drop trumps the 1cm difference in top tube length (ie, leaning towards 54 not 52).

    Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    747
    I am about your size and ride a 54cm LHT and CC. I don't think I have quite that much bar drop though. And, I recalibrated myself to a 54cm LHT off my previous commuter, a size L 20" mtn bike I pulled out of a dumpster and made myself fit, so 54 already looked small. And still seemed perfect when I went after the CC a couple years later. So maybe I could have gone even smaller, I don't know. But 54 is definitely good for me.

  3. #3
    CS2
    CS2 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CS2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,942
    I'm 5'9" but have a 32.5" inseam. The 56 looks too big but the 54 doesn't have much of a head tube as mentioned. Maybe it's time to look elsewhere. OTH, the Pacer, I know it's a road bike, doesn't seem to suffer from too short of a head tube.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
    I am about your size and ride a 54cm LHT and CC. I don't think I have quite that much bar drop though. And, I recalibrated myself to a 54cm LHT off my previous commuter, a size L 20" mtn bike I pulled out of a dumpster and made myself fit, so 54 already looked small. And still seemed perfect when I went after the CC a couple years later. So maybe I could have gone even smaller, I don't know. But 54 is definitely good for me.
    Assuming we have similar saddle height, how many spacers (how many cm/inches)are you running to get your bar-saddle level on your CC?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    38
    Remember that the Cross-check has a pretty damn tall fork to accommodate pretty damn big tires.

    Tall fork = shorter head tube.

    Right on,
    Skip
    Surly Bikes

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    747
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyslacks
    Assuming we have similar saddle height, how many spacers (how many cm/inches)are you running to get your bar-saddle level on your CC?
    I have a 20mm spacer under the stem. Looking more closely it might be a ~2"/5cm drop from top of saddle to top of bars after all, tough to gauge. I am a little surprised at how much seatpost I have showing. I have 165mm crankarms vs 175s on my 54cm LHT

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    747
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip Bernet
    Remember that the Cross-check has a pretty damn tall fork to accommodate pretty damn big tires.

    Tall fork = shorter head tube.

    Right on,
    Skip
    Surly Bikes


  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    10
    Thanks for the responses.
    I think I may have a 54 to try out.

  9. #9
    Squalor
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,573
    Remember the CrossCheck has a higher BB than the Pacer or the LHT (or most other road oriented bikes). Will make you sit higher over the bike (assuming the same length crank arms) than a normal road bike. Not a big deal, but something to consider.

    Good luck.

    LP

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by lanpope
    Remember the CrossCheck has a higher BB than the Pacer or the LHT (or most other road oriented bikes). Will make you sit higher over the bike (assuming the same length crank arms) than a normal road bike. Not a big deal, but something to consider.

    Good luck.

    LP
    I'm not sure I understand what the implications of "seating higher over the bike" would be... . Could you elaborate please?

    And as it turns out the Cross Check I was hoping to try was the wrong size. However, I recently discovered the fitting tool on the Gunnar site and that the Gunnar cross-hairs has a similar geo to the Cross Check. Using their fitting gizmo I think I have an idea what size X-Check would work for me.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pedalmunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    253
    We've got the same height and inseam. I got a 54cm CC sight unseen. Fits perfectly.
    All mountain bikes are all-mountain bikes.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalmunky
    We've got the same height and inseam. I got a 54cm CC sight unseen. Fits perfectly.
    Yeah, I'm going to order the 54. Thanks for the info.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.